War Makes Men Mad

Predice

TNPer
Chapter I
Called Up

The De Goldi Farm, May 11th, 1938

Pietro De Goldi had a relatively peaceful life in the countryside, if a little hard, but he got by. His loving parents owned a small farming business, which he now mostly ran, as his parents aged.
Pietro saw the mailman bring the mail to his mailbox, he greeted him cordially, as was parctically tradition for him to do at this point.
Pietro opened the mailbox, collected the mail and headed back inside.
Going through the usual letters from the bank and his buyers, he noticed a letter marked "MOBILIZAZIONE NAZIONALE"
His interest peaked, and he set the other letters aside. He opened the envelope with his knife and read the letter. His heart dropped. He concentrated on the sentence: "You must report to your nearest Armed Forces Installation within 7 days." He couldn't believe it, he had to leave his life behind and go to the army! Not doing so would mean prison time for him, and denounciation for his family and so, he packed his bags, kissed his family goodbye, and left for Campo Viterbo.

Campo Viterbo, May 13th, 1938

Pietro arrives on May 13th, an unusually quick time, just 2 days from the arrival of the letter. He arrived to the reception building, and sets down his bags, waiting in line with many other young men.
Finally it is his turn to go up to the front desk. He cordially says "Ciau!" as he presents his papers. He is directed to the Medical Examination Room. "Why do they make me wait to make me wait again?" he thought.

Campo Viterbo, May 14th, 1938

Today would be his first full day in the army. Pietro was both excited but apprehensive. He'd rather be back home tending to the cows than here.

The Day started at 7:30 with wakeup call and first formation. Then at 8:00 he recieved his paybook and medical paperwork with a big stamp of "FIT TO SERVE". At 8:30, everyone gathered again, to grab their belongings for these 3 months of Basic Traning from the Quartermaster. At 9:30, The men were taken for their first PT session and so on.

Pietro both hated and loved this regimented lifestyle. He would have to endure this for the next 3 years of his life, or so he thought...

Chapter II
Paracadutisti

Campo Viterbo, Febuary 8th, 1939
Pietro, now used to Army life is called to the Colonel's office. He goes, fearfully due to having heard what going for a meeting with the Colonel meant. "What have I done to warrant this?" he thought. He arrives to the office, decorated with a painting of Mahendate, and discovers that he isn't there for punishment, on the contrary. The Colonel greets the young De Goldi and begins: "Soldato De Goldi, you have been an exemplary soldier for this Regiment. I have been requested to give you to the 1st Paracadutisti Regiment. I do not want to send you away, but I will give you the choice, if you wish to go there."
Pietro was astonished and struggled to speak, he'd seen the well armed and uniformed Paracadutisti reffered to as elites on Parades. Now he had the possibility of joining them? Pietro stuttered out: "I-I'd love to go!"

A look of slight disappointment settled on the Colonel's face. "So be it, I'll get the paperwork done by morning. I'll arange for a farewell with the Regiment tomorrow. Good luck."

Campo Viterbo, Febuary 9th, 1939

The men cheered De Goldi's name. Then a young Private yelled "Godspeed De Goldi!" soon the entire base was yelling "Godspeed De Goldi!"
De Goldi waved them goodbye as he sat into a car, and he was driven off the base.
During the car ride, De Goldi reflected on the months that he had spent at Campo Viterbo. He was leaving many friends behind, and getting a new, daunting start.
After 3 hours of driving, De Goldi arrived at his new home: Campo Vulture.

Campo Vulture, Febuary 9th, 1939

On arrival to Campo Vulture, De Goldi immediately noticed the better quarters, and the money spent on the Paracadutisti.
He was given a new, more comfortable uniform, and new quarters. He began to settle into his new life.
The life was much the same as before, but slightly more comfortable.

Last edited:
Back