Blink [Closed]

It’s a matter of a blink. I see everything that has happened to me per blink. I blink once. I lose my girlfriend. I blink twice. I lose my parents. I blink thrice. I’m on the streets. I blink four times I’m out of the country trying to escape my old life. I don’t know how I got here or how I am going to get myself out. However, to get a feel of what happened, I have to back up. I have to back up to the time in which I lost it all. Everything. I have lost my girlfriend, friends, parents, and now my home.

= Blink =

“What the hell do you mean?” I practically shout. The girl backs up slightly. She looked at the anger in my eyes, but I wasn’t angry. I was hurt, and sad. Halina closed her eyes to not look at me crying. “Look. Nelson, I didn’t want to hurt you-” I stare at her glaring. “Not hurt me? You have been going out with Paul and you didn’t think to tell me until now?” Halina backed up more. I look on in horror as Paul grabs her hand. I was just about ready to cry, but there was no time for that now. Paul saw that she was confronting me and kissed her on the cheek. He patted me on the back. “Sorry, buddy,” he said while walking away. I was angry, confused, and sad. I had so much to say, but I couldn’t say much.

“Why?” I whimper out,
“Nelly, I love him,” she says,
“I thought you loved me,” I say,
“I thought I did too,” she says, “But through the time I had to spend with Paul, he is a great guy! You’ll find someone better than me.”

I turn around to walk away. “Nelly! Wait!” I feel tears in my eyes. “Leave me alone!” I shout as I storm away to class. “Nelly, I didn’t mean it that. I just-”
“Love someone else? Didn’t tell me about it? Deliberately hurt me? Tell me! You just what?”
I don’t stick around to hear her answer. I stormed to the first period and opened the door. I storm in and sit next to nobody. I pull out my computer and wait for class to start.

= Blink =

I walk home. I wait for nobody at all and I take a long way home, and I look at the city around me. The birds are nowhere to be seen. I never saw a single butterfly over where I was. I look at the homes before I get to my own. I walk up to my steps and my bags are packed. I was shocked as I walk up the steps and see my parents looking straight at me. They have my report card in hand and a glare. “What the hell is this? We expected a 4.0 GPA!” I look back. My grades consisted of four Bs and three As. I bow my head. “We do not take these grades in our household!” they yell, “Get your ass out!” my mother yells. I don’t say a word, and I leave. I pull up to a curb and set up my sleeping bag. I lay my head on the ground and I am just about to fall asleep before a woman pulled up. She rushed out of her car. “Oh my goodness! Honey, do you need help?” she yells. I get into her car and we rush to her house. She sets me up in a room and I sleep for the rest of the night before I go to school again.

The next day, I come back from school and she kisses me on the cheek. She would give me dinner. She would eat with me, watch television with me, help me with my homework, and tuck me into bed. In the mornings, she would make me breakfast and drive me to school. She would kiss me goodbye, and I would go to school. This was a cycle that went on for months. However, one afternoon, I walked back to the house and I saw a note. “The pain is unbearable,” it read. I walked to the bedroom and I saw the woman with a bullet wound to the head. I ran out, and I packed up my necessities including my clothes, laptop, phone, sleeping bag, and toothbrush and paste. I was back on the streets.

= Blink =

I find myself stealing food, water, and necessities to survive, and stealing books to make money. I sell all of the books that I find whether they were from bookstores, libraries, or schools. I found all of my food in fast food chains and I steal fruits from markets. I trade all of this for sugarcane, rum, and all of the materials I can’t afford, and sell that too. However, one day, I was caught. I ran across the street after putting the stuff in the front portion of my bag away from my laptop and everything important. I ran from the authorities and pulled up at a bus stop. I waited for the police to pass by and I climbed into the cargo hold of the bus. I waited for the bus to pull up near the border.

= Blink =

I find myself run over to the border between Yalkan and Oclusia. I climb the fence after throwing my stuff over. I evade Oclusi border agents by avoiding their grasp and lights. I scurry with my gear on my back and I run up the mountains. I stop in an open field for the night and I lie down. I allowed myself to collapse on my sleeping bag exhausted. I place my backpack inside my sleeping back and I drift off to sleep. I just want a better life. My friends left me. My parents left me. I moved in with a woman, but the woman committed suicide. Now, this is another fork in the road on the way to a new life.

Back