Pronouns
He/Him/His
TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia

Mandatory Science Curricula
Category: Education and Creativity | Proposed by: Kaschovia

RESPECTING the efforts of GAR #48 Access to Science in Schools to encourage wider availability of science education to all students,

ACKNOWLEDGING the shortcomings of GAR #48 in regard to mandating scientific education at institutions non-specific to the sciences, specifically at a higher education level,

FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGING the freedom of private schools, institutions of higher education, and other types of schools not funded by their government, to teach their own curricula in addition to these mandates,

NOTING that although some may be in contention with accepted scientific theories, religious teachings and beliefs are equally as important to many individuals as scientific teachings,

RECOGNIZING the many crucial skills that a sufficient education in science can provide, such as logic, numeracy, observation, literacy, and critical thinking,

BELIEVING that an effective and enjoyable education is the comprehensive study of a wide variety of subjects and vocations, and that an education in the sciences should be an international right, therefore,

WANTING a resolution that respects the pursuit of the studies offered at non-scientific institutions of higher education, while also ensuring students have access to scientific curricula at lower educational levels,

The World Assembly HEREBY,

DEFINES public schools as educational institutions supported by government funds, and private schools as educational institutions supported by private funds,

DEFINES peer-reviewed courses as schemes of education containing content, appropriate for the level of education offered, verified by significant evaluation of scientific, academic, or professional work by others of the same competency working in the same field,

MANDATES that these schools must introduce and teach comprehensive, peer-reviewed science courses for students in the stages of education between, but not including, preschool and higher education,

REQUIRES that these schools teach the practical elements of science and the standards of scientific experimentation, in addition to the theoretical elements of science, including currently accepted and previously disproven scientific models.

RESPECTING the efforts of GAR #48 Access to Science in Schools to encourage wider availability of science education to all students,

ACKNOWLEDGING the shortcomings of GAR #48 in regard to mandating scientific education at institutions non-specific to the sciences, specifically at a higher education level,

FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGING the freedom of private schools, institutions of higher education, and other types of schools not funded by their government, to teach their own curricula,

NOTING that although some may be in contention with accepted scientific theories, religious teachings and beliefs are equally as important to each individual as scientific teachings,

RECOGNIZING the many crucial skills that a sufficient education in science can provide, such as logic, numeracy, observation, literacy, and critical thinking,

BELIEVING that an effective and enjoyable education is the comprehensive study of a wide variety of subjects and vocations, and that an education in the sciences should be an international right, therefore,

WANTING a resolution that respects the pursuit of the studies offered at non-scientific institutions of higher education, while also ensuring students have access to scientific curricula at lower educational levels,

The World Assembly HEREBY,

DEFINES public schools as educational institutions supported by government funds,

DEFINES peer-reviewed courses as schemes of education containing content, appropriate for the level of education offered, verified by significant evaluation of scientific, academic, or professional work by others of the same competency working in the same field,

MANDATES that public schools must introduce and teach comprehensive, peer-reviewed science courses for students in the stages of education between, but not including, preschool and higher education,

REQUIRES that public schools teach the practical elements of science and the standards of scientific experimentation, in addition to the theoretical elements of science, including currently accepted and previously disproven scientific models.

Last edited:
I'd recommend applying this to all schools, rather than just public schools, as several others have suggested on the NS thread. I don't think schools should really be viewed as businesses - they tend to be part of a broader education system, so they should teach what the others teach. It would also give you a higher chance of passing, given that a lot of opposition seem to centre around this.

I'd recommend applying this to all schools, rather than just public schools, as several others have suggested on the NS thread. I don't think schools should really be viewed as businesses - they tend to be part of a broader education system, so they should teach what the others teach. It would also give you a higher chance of passing, given that a lot of opposition seem to centre around this.
I've amended the resolution to demand that the curricula of private schools are respected and upheld internationally, in addition to the curricula mandated by the Assembly through this resolution. I believe that if the submission of the Kenmorian proposal had occurred perhaps a day or two from now, we would have been able to voice our concerns fully and suggest changes to wording and or content, but since we do not currently have access to any time machinery, we will simply have to continue working on the Kaschovian draft, so that it may travel its full course through the GA process. I hope this amendment raises the probability of success for this proposal, because it is a topic I care deeply about, and would regret to see my work be hindered by disputes over which schools should be affected. The foundation of the proposal remains, scientific education should be the international right of every student.

Last edited:
This was linked via the WALL server.

I'm unclear as to how this doesn't duplicate the proposal which Kenmoria has in queue. Could you clarify?

This was linked via the WALL server.

I'm unclear as to how this doesn't duplicate the proposal which Kenmoria has in queue. Could you clarify?
Sure.

I hadn't checked to see if there was anyone working on the same idea initially, so I thank Bananaistan for pointing out Kenmoria's resolution. Mine is somewhat duplicatory only by chance, unfortunately. If I had known that another was working on it, I probably wouldn't have started my own draft. However, there are some differences.

1. Kenmoria's draft does not require that the content taught in these mandated science classes be peer-reviewed, or have been subject to scientific processes of validation, rather, that, in Clause 2, the classes 'must be of a non-trivial length of time, and contain relevant educational content', whereas mine does. I believe that this leaves too much room for WA member states to define for themselves what might be a non-trivial length of time, or what relevant content might be for their students, potentially leading to science classes that are not comprehensive or detailed enough to do the sciences the justice this proposal aims for. Any nation could theoretically circumvent the mandates of the resolution in defining what is relevant for their nation's students.

2. Kenmoria's draft authorises the World Assembly General Fund fund nations who cannot afford science classes, whereas mine does not. My issue with this clause again is that, given the vagueness of the clause I referenced above, a much poorer nation could use the WAGF to fund science classes that contain content that they might deem 'relevant', or of a 'non-trivial length of time', but rather, might not be at all. It seems there is no actual standard for quality with these science classes, rather, that it is open to interpretation, how 'relevant' the content of the classes is. The same applies to richer nations, in the same vein of the paragraph above.

2.b. GAR #80, A Promotion of Basic Education requires that the WA General Accounting Office (GAO) allocates funds for nations who cannot economically support the mandates of the resolution, whereas this one requires that the World Assembly General Fund allocates funds. This deviation confuses me. Is there a reason not to keep the funding source for pursuits in the advancement of education consistent? My draft does not include either, which is why I have not thought about submitting it yet. Mine is open to change.

3. Not to make this a list of my own personal issues with the current submission, but Clause 4: 'Encourages member nations to make these science classes mandatory for students to learn at early levels of education;' seems fairly non-specific. 'Levels of early education' could be different for different countries, and it only 'encourages'. We already have GAR #80, A Promotion of Basic Education, which sets the foundations for mandatory education in 'An accurate understanding of ecological life, nature and the environment' at the primary level, which I am assuming is what Kenmoria refers to? How is 'levels of early education' different to 'primary education'?

4. Kenmoria's resolution, in Clause 7, mandates that 'all member nations fund the science classes mandated by this resolution to a degree that enables appropriate learning opportunities, unless the school is of a private nature, in which case funding is urged but not mandated'. So, if the school is of a private nature, they need not fund science classes to a degree which enables appropriate learning? Is that not the entire point of this resolution? It also contradicts Clause 2, which mandates that 'all schools under the jurisdiction of member states must either offer classes in multiple branches of the natural sciences, or a series of general classes in science as a whole'. ANY class in the sciences will require funding of some sort, regardless of the nature of the school. The resources used in the classes to teach the sciences will require funds, but with this clause, does it not seem that private schools are exempt, as they are only urged to fund science classes to an appropriate degree?

5. Clause 2 also uses the word 'offer' in reference to science classes: 'all schools under the jurisdiction of member states must either offer classes...' An offer, by definition, is refusable, right? If I offer you something, you can decline it. Or, in this context, does 'offer' mean, 'be able to teach to their students'? My draft is clearer, that these schools MUST teach science classes to a academically certifiable standard. This one might just be me reading into it too far.

6. My current draft does not contain the mandates of Clause 3, that 'adults within member nations ... must also be offered science in fulfilment with the principles of clause 2'. Although, as I have said, mine is currently open to change. If Kenmoria's resolution achieves quorum and passes through the GA, given the issues I have raised, and others may have, warrant it, then a repeal bill must be penned.

There is definitely more I could say, but for the purposes of the timeline Kenmoria's proposal is on, I think it would be better to get the main arguments and differences out of the way before it comes to vote.

Back