Icekrieg

Registered
TNP Nation
Volstokn
Discord
Icekrieg #3355
1VFBq5s.png

Poison in the Water!

Defoliates, pesticides, and fertilizer from cotton productions have found their way into rivers, streams, lakes and groundwater. Industrial pollution and mining waste have also found its way into water supplies. The Azenica river of the East is an important source of drinking water even though is contaminated with raw sewage, pesticides, and fertilizer. Pesticides and fertilizer have polluted drinking water. Traces have been found in the milk of lactating mothers. People who have consumed water from the Azenica and Skry have had a high incidence of hepatitis, typhus, tuberculosis and other diseases.

Large-scale use of chemicals for cotton cultivation, inefficient irrigation systems, and poor drainage systems are examples of the conditions that led to a high filtration of salinized and contaminated water back into the soil. Post-Kingdom policies have become even more dangerous; in the early 1990s, the average application of chemical fertilizers and insecticides throughout the country was fifteen kilograms per hectare, compared with the former average of ten kilograms per hectare.

Yet, the Government of the Cardinelean Republic has yet to tackle the issue that has plagued the nation for centuries. Tkvarolauri policies have done nothing but intensify the toxin flowage into the River, killing wildlife of all sorts.

From King Shovruk I who addressed the problem in early 1922, starting social programs and government initiatives to help aid the resolution of all-around protection of the important river, to his successor, the displeasing King Shovruk II's lackluster programs to once more try to tackle the poison getting into the river during his reign and specifically in 1948.

Oshin Ardzruni is interviewing a citizen of Brimeniah about these horrible conditions.

"Sir, What is your name? and where do you live?"

"I am Husan Zakirov, I live in Naftubad, Brimeniah"

"Tell me a bit about your situation"

"I am a father of three, My kids will get sick from drinking from the River Azenica. I am forced to boil all water I get from the River so that it is safe, but still it is not good."

"How long has this been going on?"

"Way to long, I got sick when I drank out of Azenica as a child. My father got very sick from dysentery that he had got from the River."

"Do you think Tkvarolauri should do more about the river?"

"Yes, if they don't the quality of people's lives will just continue to go down."

"Do you have anything to say to Antog Safarin?"

"I have many things, but one thing is, Fix the river."

"Thank you."​

1VFBq5s.png

Freedom of Speech is Under Attack!

With 51 percent of the population under 30 years old and increasing numbers of mobile internet users, Cardizeleck language online media are experiencing a period of growth and change. The president has urged the media not to hold back in addressing urgent social issues. Some journalists are now covering sensitive issues such as forced labor and corruption that were previously taboo, helping bring to the fore cases of injustice or wrongdoing by officials.

Yet much of the media remained under state control, and censorship is the norm. Journalists self-censor, unclear where the “red lines” are. Much of the internet remains blocked, and several pioneering online outlets such as Medka.CD, Xabamir.CD, and Hengliska.CD, were unavailable for a period in June and July. With many prominent social websites were blocked for periods in August through November.

Voice of Cardinele's correspondent received accreditation in June. But at time of writing the government had still not granted accreditation for the Cardinele True Voice Paper, local correspondent, despite promising to extend it to him since June 2017. Radio Free Cardinele remained unable to operate in Cardinele. In September, authorities detained at least eight conservative bloggers, allegedly for their views advocating a greater role for foreign investors in the Cardinelean Economy. Authorities denied several of them access to lawyers and sentenced some up to 15 days of administrative detention.

Authorities have slightly relaxed restrictions on the holding of modest peaceful demonstrations. But several participants in small-scale demonstrations held near the president’s residence or the Prosecutor-General’s office were detained. In July, a group of 30 women were detained outside the president’s residence during a peaceful protest. Six of the 30 were charged with “hooliganism” and held for ten days.

In June, the Justice Ministry announced a new law on NGOs that would relax procedures for registration, including by eliminating the requirement NGOs receive and hold funds in only two state-approved banks. The NGO law also purported to overturn the June 2015 law that severely restricted NGO activities by requiring organizations to receive advance permission from authorities when holding virtually any activity or meeting. However, even under the amendments registered NGOs are still required to provide advanced notice before holding events or meetings and civil society activists reported that during the year the law was not effectively implemented. They reported that local Justice Ministry officials have discouraged the registration of new organizations that focus on politically-sensitive issues.

In September, authorities fined rights activist Hmayag Janikyan and refused him an exit visa, allegedly for filming police action during a peaceful protest.

Back