Regional Update from South Pacific

Siberian Tiger

Registered
Hello peeps!
Welcome to South Pacific’s first ever regional report. I’m sure you must all be so incredibly excited about this. Since there isn’t a prior report to mark the start of the timescale of this one, I’ll just include all the events of note that I feel happened recently enough to merit entry into this.

A couple months back, we introduced the latest revision of the Constitution, in which a number of articles were improved, and two whole new articles added. Voted into law at the end of July, it marks the latest form of the constitution, which was first created by former delegate Lingang over four years ago, but was first introduced as law under a year ago by former (shamed) delegate Mysterious Wonder, a.k.a. Crystalsummer. This latest revision ties up a number of loose threads, which is vital considering it’s the only legal document in effect in the region. The constitution may be found here.

Shortly after the passing of the revised constitution, we held a flag competition. South Pacific’s regional flag was at that time being flaunted by Crystalsummer’s puppets, and, considering we were trying to distance ourselves from him, it was decided to hold an event in an effort to get members of the region to both design and choose SP’s new flag. A total of seven entries were submitted, and although the votes were fairly evenly spread, Johanneslanden’s entry won the competition, providing the region with the glorious flag it displays today.

South Pacific also recently signed the first inter-regional treaty in its history: the Treaty of Friendship, made with Aukumnian Imperium. The treaty, which may be viewed here, was designed to promote closer ties between the two regions. It was in place for just under a week, until it was declared null and void by delegate Johanneslanden following the disintegration of Aukumnian Imperium into two unofficial successor states. South Pacific will be attempting to build up relations with these successor states to the same level as it formerly enjoyed with Aukumnian Imperium.

And, finally, N-Day. The region was unsure of its plans for N-Day right up until around two days before. The faction, Bikini Bottom (whose beautiful name was provided by the eloquent Vice-Delegate The lepearchauns), held only around eight individual members, but, with the aid of the puppet armies of Lep and Panther, held its own for at least the first two hours. Later in the day, South Pacific’s N-Day turned into a war against the faction ANAL, which was sheltering the supremely wicked and treacherous former delegate Densaner, who harassed the forces of Bikini Bottom in what is now recounted in hushed tones to younglings in the region as “the Great Betrayal”. Despite losing the majority of its forces in the fierce fighting that ensued, the menacing traitor was at last destroyed by the ancient puppets of Lep, thereby allowing Bikini Bottom to claim victory over ANAL. Although Bikini Bottom was later steamrollered by Canopy Command, the destruction of the diabolical Densaner allowed the region to celebrate its victory once the apocalypse was over. Following the event, Ducktator Johanneslanden created South Pacific’s first award, the Golden Bikini, which was given to all who contributed to the region’s N-Day. A brief description of each member’s activities in the faction, compiled by Panther, may be viewed here.

In a more serious afternote, I would like to use this report to help draw attention to my wonderful MoFA, Holly United’s latest dispatch. Holly’s recently gone on temporary leave from my government for personal reasons following his Aunt’s suicide (hence why it’s me writing this report, not Holly). He has written a dispatch concerning the subject of suicide, and had asked that I pin it to South Pacific’s WFE. Therefore, I want to provide a link to that dispatch here.

This month’s report was written by Johanneslanden, with contribution from Maowi.

Foreign Affairs Update | February 2020

The major event marking the beginning of this term was probably the region’s brief and farcical flirtation with Communism.

The first sparks of revolution occurred not long after N-Day, and some say the turbulence of those days following the nuclear devastation was likely the casus belli of the event. Others say it was but the accidental stroke of the pen by our esteemed World Assembly Minister.

Whatever the case, the pitchforks came out and banners were raised and paeans to the worker were being sung in the streets.

The culminating event occurred when our World Assembly Delegate succumbed to the enthusiastic pressure of the citizenry and raised the flag of the revolution to fly over the region:

Soon after, folks grew bored of this little diversion, and the region returned to its regularly scheduled programming. (However, some in the region still think back wistfully on the occasion…)

The Regional Map Project was revived, with new additions spurred by renewed interest:

December saw new elections in South Pacific for the delegacy. A long-standing resident and former delegate ran against our incumbent, with the result being another term for the sitting delegate.

The rest of December involved the holidays. Gifts were exchanged, well-wishes were made, and good cheer was spread, accordingly.

In January, a series of alterations were proposed to the Constitution of South Pacific. Those passed thus far have involved delegate-suppression of posts to the Regional Message Board, as well as embassy and treaty requirements. Still on the agenda for vote are changes to election protocols and regional emergency provisions.

February saw our esteemed and communist-sympathizing World Assembly Minister successfully pass their second General Assembly Resolution – for which we as a region are quite proud:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Selection from our Culture Minister

Featured Holiday Limerick:

In the North there once stood a Pole
Past which Santa just happened to stroll
Large crowds of elves
Threw money and yelled
While his Missus did dance and cajole

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Assembly Voting Information

General Assembly

Don't Shoot Strangers Act

Defeated
Delegate's Vote: For
Final Vote (World): For - 2,781 (21.3%); Against - 10,286 (78.7%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 3 (42.9%); Against - 4 (57.1%)

7 out of 21 (33.3%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Repeal "Convention on Animal Testing"

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 11,532 (90.6%); Against - 1,193 (9.4%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 6 (75.0%); Against - 2 (25.0%)

8 out of 22 (36.4%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Wartime Healthcare Protections

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 9,966 (74.9%); Against - 3,340 (25.1%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 5 (71.4%); Against - 2 (28.6%)

7 out of 21 (33.3%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Subject State Enforcement Act

Defeated
Delegate's Vote: Against
Final Vote (World): For - 3,294 (23.3%); Against - 10,821 (76.7%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 0 (0.0%); Against - 8 (100.0%)

8 out of 21 (38.1%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Data Protection Accord

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 11,297 (79.7%); Against - 2,875 (20.3%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 6 (75.0%); Against - 2 (25.0%)

8 out of 21 (38.1%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Forensics Accord

Defeated
Final Vote (World): For - 3,815 (25.9%); Against - 10,887 (74.1%)

7 out of 23 (30.4%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Ensuring Safe Syringe Use

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 13,592 (86.9%); Against - 2,041 (13.1%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 7 (77.8%); Against - 2 (22.2%)

9 out of 23 (39.1%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Ban on the Involuntary Administration of Drugs

Discarded
Final Vote (World): For - 8,116 (54.4%); Against - 6,801 (45.6%)

7 out of 22 (31.8%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Repeal "Preventing the Execution of Innocents"

Defeated
Final Vote (World): For - 2,808 (18.1%); Against - 12,719 (81.9%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 3 (37.5%); Against - 5 (62.5%)

Security Council

Commend Ramaeus

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 10,393 (79.7%); Against - 2,654 (20.3%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 5 (83.3%); Against - 1 (16.7%)

6 out of 21 (28.6%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Commend Benevolent Thomas

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 11,930 (81.5%); Against - 2,710 (18.5%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 7 (87.5%); Against - 1 (12.5%)

8 out of 23 (34.8%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Condemn Norrlands

Defeated
Final Vote (World): For - 1,743 (12.8%); Against - 11,879 (87.2%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 1 (14.3%); Against - 6 (85.7%)

7 out of 22 (31.8%) SP WA nations placed a vote

Commend Crushing Our Enemies

Defeated
Final Vote (World): For - 7,132 (45.8%); Against - 8,432 (54.2%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 3 (37.5%); Against - 5 (62.5%)

Condemn Gatesville Inc

Passed
Final Vote (World): For - 11,702 (79.4%); Against - 3,029 (20.6%)
Final Vote (SP): For - 7 (77.8%); Against - 2 (22.2%)

9 out of 22 (40.9%) SP WA nations placed a vote

This month's report written by Panther

Foreign Affairs Update | April 2020

The elephant in the room weighing upon the region (and indeed every region and its members) is the outbreak of covid-19 in our world. It hangs over every Regional Message Board post and discussion on the forums. These are unsettling times, filled with much uncertainty, and they are reflected in much of the activity occurring not only in our region but across NationStates. But it is a comfort to have a place to talk with one another, and to share our stories, when so many of us are isolated from such comforts in the real world. It is a comfort to be among friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Events in the real world have forced some prominent members of the region to step down, resulting in many new appointments to Regional Officer positions and ambassadorships. The region has been fortunate to have a talented pool from which to draw upon and fill these vacancies.

Our long-standing Minister of Foreign Affairs, Holly United, was compelled to step down temporarily, and Deputy MoFA Panther has since filled the role as interim Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Esteemed Customs Minister and World Assembly Minister, Maowi, regrettably took a more decisive step back from NationStates, with her positions being filled by Panther and NorgiestoileckylockJ, respectively. Although we are pleased with those that have stepped forward to accept the duties vacated, we will all be feeling her absence for some time.

Killiningo came aboard as Deputy Culture Minister, collaborating on promising new ideas with Culture Minister A Down and Dusky Blonde.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new month opened with the latest iteration of an April Fool’s event: the 2020 Election for WA Secretary General. The flurry of activity spurred by this event around NationStates has also touched our little region. Long-time resident The lepearchauns has thrown his hat into the race, and we in the region wish him best in the grueling campaign that will surely follow.

Featured Limerick (courtesy of Noxious Air)

There was a young lady named Mabel,
So ready, so willing, so able,
And so full of spice
She could name her own price--
Now Mabel's all wrapped up in sable.

Foreign Affairs Update | June 2020
Executive

This regional update sees in the new World Assembly Delegate of South Pacific, Panther. Without any other candidates declaring their intent to run, there was not actually an election, leaving the legitimacy of Panther's administration in severe question. Citizens are left pining for "the good ole days" when Johanneslanden was delegate.

New Cabinet Appointees:
Vice Delegate || The lepearchauns
Minister of Foreign Affairs || Johanneslanden
World Assembly Minister || Killiningo
Culture Minister || A Down and Dusky Blonde
Sergeant-at-arms || Densaner
Poet Laureate || Noxious Air

Regional Pride Flag
slbNNMd.png

Constitutional

There were a couple proposed amendments to the region's constitution. The first, which would officially remove the offsite forum, passed unanimously:

The second, which would have allowed for the region to enter into military alliances during times of crisis, fell at the vote.

Cultural

I would like to feature a factbook from a newer member of the region which displays their work on constructed language:

A limerick contest saw a flurry of contributions:

The limerick's callous and crude,
Its morals distressingly lewd;
It's not worth the reading
By persons of breeding--
It's designed for us vulgar and rude.

~ Noxious Air

Keep your distance when out on the town,
To fail will prompt many a frown,
Total war is being waged,
And many People are caged,
Re. the malady wearing a crown.

~ Densaner

A Down and Dusky Blonde
Sat musing and alone by a pond
She wished for a friend
Who'd her loneliness end
But who was there to respond.

~ A Down and Dusky Blonde

abdominohysterectomy
abdominohysterotomy
Appreciation
Communication
salpingo-oophorectomy

~ NorgiestoileckylockJ

a piece written in response to discussion regarding the nature of NationStates[/i]]
Well, I have been here [on NationStates] longer than any school I studied in or job I “worked” at.
Over the years I have connected with people who have passed through our region, people who have come from the four corners of our planet.
Paladinsanity that crazy Aussie joker. Trev the greybeard who went to kindergarten with Methuselah’s grandfather. West Kondor, the USMC alum. ABC the lunatic. Nox with his endless supply of limericks. Down and Dusky, a voice of sanity in our crazed corner of the cosmos. And even Lep, despite our GIGANTIC differences, I believe him to be a man of conviction and principle, who has the best interests of our region at heart. And many regional natives have come from the USA, whose people, despite international stereotypes can be kind, thoughtful and very funny.
To be sure, there have been villains a plenty. Kyal, Jakker and Mysterious Wonder, to name but three.
What is NS? Why, it’s home!
SP is the street on which we all live.
Howdy, neighbour!
~ Densaner

Foreign Affairs Update | June 2020
Executive

This regional update sees in the new World Assembly Delegate of South Pacific, Panther. Without any other candidates declaring their intent to run, there was not actually an election, leaving the legitimacy of Panther's administration in severe question. Citizens are left pining for "the good ole days" when Johanneslanden was delegate.

New Cabinet Appointees:
Vice Delegate || The lepearchauns
Minister of Foreign Affairs || Johanneslanden
World Assembly Minister || Killiningo
Culture Minister || A Down and Dusky Blonde
Sergeant-at-arms || Densaner
Poet Laureate || Noxious Air

Regional Pride Flag
slbNNMd.png

Constitutional

There were a couple proposed amendments to the region's constitution. The first, which would officially remove the offsite forum, passed unanimously:

The second, which would have allowed for the region to enter into military alliances during times of crisis, fell at the vote.

Cultural

I would like to feature a factbook from a newer member of the region which displays their work on constructed language:

A limerick contest saw a flurry of contributions:

The limerick's callous and crude,
Its morals distressingly lewd;
It's not worth the reading
By persons of breeding--
It's designed for us vulgar and rude.

~ Noxious Air

Keep your distance when out on the town,
To fail will prompt many a frown,
Total war is being waged,
And many People are caged,
Re. the malady wearing a crown.

~ Densaner

A Down and Dusky Blonde
Sat musing and alone by a pond
She wished for a friend
Who'd her loneliness end
But who was there to respond.

~ A Down and Dusky Blonde

abdominohysterectomy
abdominohysterotomy
Appreciation
Communication
salpingo-oophorectomy

~ NorgiestoileckylockJ

a piece written in response to discussion regarding the nature of NationStates[/i]]
Well, I have been here [on NationStates] longer than any school I studied in or job I “worked” at.
Over the years I have connected with people who have passed through our region, people who have come from the four corners of our planet.
Paladinsanity that crazy Aussie joker. Trev the greybeard who went to kindergarten with Methuselah’s grandfather. West Kondor, the USMC alum. ABC the lunatic. Nox with his endless supply of limericks. Down and Dusky, a voice of sanity in our crazed corner of the cosmos. And even Lep, despite our GIGANTIC differences, I believe him to be a man of conviction and principle, who has the best interests of our region at heart. And many regional natives have come from the USA, whose people, despite international stereotypes can be kind, thoughtful and very funny.
To be sure, there have been villains a plenty. Kyal, Jakker and Mysterious Wonder, to name but three.
What is NS? Why, it’s home!
SP is the street on which we all live.
Howdy, neighbour!
~ Densaner

That's better than the report I write :/

Last edited:
I wasn't aware folks would be posting things in here for me to read :blush: Thanks for your thoughts and kind words.

I won't be writing FA updates any longer, now that Aga has taken over as MoFA. So here's their first:

-----------------

South Pacific Foreign Update
Hdv01Ja.png

1200px-Jaguar.jpg

Live - Panther Sitting on his delegacy after the Raid

SOUTH PACIFIC RAID

Recently, South Pacific was raiding by an invading group which included the Black Hawks, Caer Sidi and Europeia amongst other regions. Following this, Panther was unseated from their delegacy, and an invader delegate took the spot. Following several liberation attempts, one of the biggest liberation attempts was put together by the South Pacific, the Rejected Realms and the East Pacific, and many, many othe regions. If you did support on the liberations, we thank you for your support during these tough times.

Following this, the invaders left and Panther was able to regain the delegacy.

joe-biden.jpg

Johanesslanden Returns

CABINET RESHUFFLES

After only being given a worthless box of chocolates and a book titled "the 50 best Scottish motorbike trips," our much beloved former delegate Johanesslanden came back during the raid as quickly as they had left to support the liberation attempt. Following his brief retirement, he was forced to come back to the region to serve as vice-delegate following TheLepearchauns leaving the cabinet and the game

Meanwhile, former Minister of World Assembly Affairs, Killiningo (also known as Agalaesia), was appointed as Minister of Foreign Affairs after Johannesslanden's first departure, and was replaced by Maowi as Minister of World Assembly Affairs following a quick reshuffle.

Lastly, Lingang was appointed as Civil Defence Overlord, and will now serve the gentlepanther in watching the regional happenings page.

putin-plays-chess.jpg

Aga Dominates Game Nights

Recently, the Deputin of culture introduced game nights on discord. These include anything from games such as chess to listening parties. Come and join in on the South Pacific Discord and RMB!

IN REMEMBERANCE OF OUR FRIEND

While everyone in the region breathed a sigh of relief following the eventual end of the occupation, after the withdrawal of the raiding forces, any real celebratory feelings were somewhat muted by the rather sudden decision of long-time resident and former delegate the lepearchauns to depart, not only the region, but NationStates overall.

In the thirteen years that Lep had been a part of NationStates, he served seven terms as delegate of South Pacific, becoming a respected, if grumpy, fixture of the region.

In 2009, after a false start attempting to create his own defender region, Lep made contact with the Founderless Regions Alliance and was taken by the organization. At this point, the FRA was only around a year old, and Lep would help see it through much of the subsequent early days. He would go on to hold positions such as Minister of Recuitment, Vice-Chancellor, and eventually Chief of Defense.

Together with North Pacific, Lep would work to create a multi-regional alliance called “League of Pacifics,” striving to join the other non-feeder pacific regions. And even though it never quite materialized, it was a nice dream, and one which we will now pick up the mantle of, by force if necessary.

sV3O89k.png

Yet, for all of the hard work and accomplishments among the international community, his greatest impact was likely felt by those in the region he resided in for so very long. He had a truly genuine nature, and it was a pleasure getting to know him. As another long-time resident, Densaner, remarked upon Lep’s departure:

"It will be a smaller place without him."
Updates by Aga

Hdv01Ja.png

South Pacific Regional Update
January 2021

dhsiaJI.png

Panther relaxing after a hard day’s campaigning

Incumbent delegate secures second term
The Winter Elections this year were the most hotly contested the region has seen for some time. Four candidates in all ran, though two - Mauryavarsha and former acting-delegate Holly United - dropped out mid-way through, endorsing incumbent Panther and former delegate Densaner respectively.
The final results were: Holly United: 1; Mauryavarsha: 2; Densaner: 3; Panther: 20. Thus, with a resounding 77% of the votes, Panther will remain Delegate of South Pacific for a further six months.

XrWwuK9.png

The Ministry is now fully prepared to receive foreign guests

Foreign Ministry reorganised
The Department of Foreign Affairs saw reorganization following the inauguration of the delegate’s second term. Americatain was brought into the government as “Foreign Affairs Commissioner,” a position which will take point in all dealings with our embassy regions and interact with his counterparts in their ministries. Rongorongo, the former Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, will handle things behind the scenes, such as organizing and maintaining the various embassies and ambassadors. Killiningo, the former Minister of Foreign Affairs, will stay on in an advisory capacity to assistent the new officers.
In this way, the hope is that it makes the Department of Foreign Affairs more flexible and efficient, allowing for those with less experience to get involved and contribute to the running of the government.

9zdV3iU.png

Construction on the new Embassy is well underway

Embassy opened with The Social Liberal Union
On the 13th of January 2020, Ainland (founder of Social Liberal Union) removed and ejected the democratically elected government of that region. His reasoning behind this ‘coup’ was his belief the region shouldn’t have an embassy with North Korea, who openly “support” the real life DPRK government. The democratically elected government of the region, exiled from their home, luckily had a back up region. Although SLU was previously a close friend of South Pacific, we have decided to cut ties from the couped region. To reflect this, we have commenced the destruction of our embassy there, and have formed a new embassy in its successor, The Social Liberal Union. We value their friendship greatly, and look forward to strengthening our regional bonds.

YTiHdGs.png

A recent shipwreck saw a handful of Sahcarans stranded on Guild Federation land

Roleplay region founded
Following a poll held in August, it was agreed that a Roleplay would be initiated for those interested in the region, and on November 4th, the RP region was founded: Dreamtime, inspired by the popular name to refer to Australian Aboriginal mythology. This is not the name of the in-character land, so a new poll was made in order to name that land. Among five options, the name chosen was “Mayburra”, which means “many” in an Australian Aboriginal language. On November 11th, the roleplay applications were opened. November 12th was supposed to be the official launch, but this was postponed due to last-hour discussions about the land. The date was then set to November 26th, but it was delayed again, this time due to the region being ‘featured’. Panther then had to make a “cleaning” at the RMB due to the amount of comments congratulating the region for being featured, and to eject nations which were not interested in the roleplay but moved there just due to the region being featured. On November 30th, the RP was finally launched. The region currently has ten members, and was founded through a puppet of the present delegate, Panther.

This month’s update was written by: Americatain, Rongorongo, Panther, and Johanneslanden.

I’m curious about the region created for the roleplay. Was this so that roleplay posts are not occurring on your home regions rmb?

Back