Delegate's Day Survey: The Delegates Speak

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
As part of this year's Delegate's Day celebration, I sent out a 20 question survey to our former delegates, asking them about their experiences and for a sense of what the region and the game was like back when they held office (through whatever means they employed to get there). For those who were kind enough to respond, this is what they had to say.

Due to the very long responses some of our delegates provided, I will be breaking these up into a series of posts and updating the thread periodically.

1)Tell us about your origins in TNP, and your rise to the top office.

Wilkshire: My nation was born in TNP on 22nd June, 2003. In those days it was a free for all as regards collecting endorsements and within around five months I had the third most in the region. It was just a natural progression in those days before we had formal elections that if you established yourself as a trusted nation and built up your endorsements you would get a turn as delegate.

GBM: My first nation was born in TNP, I think when Wilkshire was delegate. My impression of those days is the talk of identity, of who we wanted to be as a region. What philosophies we should espouse, and what should be rejected. How do we make TNP look like our utopia. The visionaries at that time included the gracious and welcoming Magicality, Blackshear with his infallible moral compass, and my dear friend, Thel D’ran.

In July 2004 Great Bight was in power. He was behaving like a juvenile pirate and banning nations at will. I saw it was time for his mum to step in. He needed to be sent to his room, put on computer time-out. That's how the nation Great Bights Mum came about. To his credit, GB was never heartless enough to ban his own mother. So you could say my nation came of age in interesting times.

Afterwards, I mainly served in the NPA and did my best to fight usurpers, despots and other nefarious nations.

SillyString: I joined in 2013, when COE recruited me to be his deputy speaker. I was reasonably familiar with TNP as an outsider, but it quickly became a second NS home for me. I love legislation and legal interpretation so I wrote a bunch of laws and served on the court, and then ran for Vice Delegate because I wanted to implement some procedural reforms in the Security Council. I had not intended to run for the delegacy at all, but decided to do so following a diplomatic incident with our ally Europeia which threatened to escalate and possibly derail the treaty we had with them.

2)When were you delegate? How long did you serve? How did you take office? Tell us about the experience of taking office/the transition.

Wilkshire: I was delegate three times – though if I remember correctly the first two occasions were only for a single day! The main bulk of my delegacy was between February-April 2004. I took over when The Twoslit Experiment wanted to hand over and I was pretty much the most trusted/endorsed nation at that particular time. It was, and I think still is quite an honour to see your name up there as delegate of the largest region in the game.

GBM: The first time I was delegate was in 2006. Since I was NPA right before that, I had 0 endorsements to start with and the transition was lengthy.

I served as delegate off and on for a couple of years. It seemed every time you turned around, some rogue delegate went off his rocker and started banning everyone. I think I became the “safe choice” because everyone knew I would never do such a thing.

SillyString: I was elected delegate in September 2015 and served one term. It was a very fast transition, as I already had a high endorsement count from serving as vice delegate. I had also already held the in-game delegacy twice that year as acting delegate - once in February, when McMasterdonia stepped down, and again in May after Tomb resigned. The second time, the transition was quite slow and I actually held the delegacy nearly as long as the actual elected delegate - 56 days for me, to Elu's 65. All of which is to say, the region was used to seeing me in the delegacy and it was very straightforward to hand it back over.

3)When you were running for delegate/pursuing/assuming the office, what were the big issues of the day?

Wilkshire: It was largely about keeping an eye on the NPO and what they were doing. Everyone was very paranoid about them at the time.

GBM: Security was always a big issue. One time I was elected DIW, which was Delegate-in-Waiting. I think it was Dali who had gone rogue, and needed ousting, so I got to do the honors.

SillyString: The biggest issue was our treaty and overall relationship with Europeia. There was a relatively minor (all things considered) diplomatic incident that escalated rapidly when a public statement was posted on TNP's forum. Due to missteps and insufficient urgency by leaders on both sides, little progress was made toward a resolution and the populace of both regions lost confidence in one another. At one point, it was not clear the treaty would survive. I ran for the delegacy because I believed I was the best person to resolve the situation to everybody's satisfaction.

I also recall the Communications ministry being a point of contention. r3n had introduced or revitalized that ministry the previous year, and COE had put out the first issues of TNL. However, activity faltered under subsequent ministers and I (among others) was not convinced that it was actually realistic for us to have a well-written publication that put out new issues on a regular schedule - not without a full-time paid staff, that is! I was convinced to appoint a minister and give them a last shot at making something happen, with the intention of removing them from office and shuttering the ministry if nothing panned out.

Well, nothing panned out that term, but I never got around to firing the minister either... and in retrospect, I'm glad that I didn't. Even if it had a rough time getting started, I think the comms ministry is doing great work now! So I'm happy to have been wrong about how to handle it.

4)What was your focus/plans/set of goals for the region? For foreign policy?

Wilkshire: At the time we were just trying to set up a very basic form of government – the forum had not long been in existence so I was just trying to build on the work that we had done over the last few months. Foreign policy just tended to be about building links with as many friendly regions as we could – I don’t think we really had any official embassies as such back then.

GBM: Regional peace. World peace. Call me Miss Congeniality.

SillyString: My goals were pretty simple: Salvage the relationship with Euro if possible, and keep things running otherwise as r3nnishly as I could. I didn't go in with a grand plan for every ministry.

5)Who was your cabinet? How did you organize the government? How did that organization/government compare to the one we have now? What were the duties, tasks performed, how did they differ from what they do now?

Wilkshire: In those early days there was no official government or formal cabinet as such – we didn’t even have a constitution back then! It was still in the era not long after after the original TNP forum had been set up so it was before the time when the first elections were held. We just hoped that people were willing to chip in and help out in areas that most interested them. I think it is tremendous how well run and efficiently organised the region is these days.

GBM: At that time, the sentiment in the region was one of extreme paranoia. Rogue after rogue had taken its toll on our vision of utopia. As a result, executive power to run the day to day affairs of the government was given to an elected prime minister. The delegate position was more like the Queen of England. And pity the poor PM, because all the ministry positions were elected as well. Achieving harmony in the executive branch was a challenge.

SillyString: I took applications for minister, but I don't remember who I appointed for every role. I remember Kialga was my communications minister, and r3n was WA (although he really wanted FA). I'm sure some things were different from how they are now due to technological improvements, but the executive branch hasn't changed much in structure since I served - or even since I joined TNP.

6)What was your policy for handling WA votes?

Wilkshire: I always strictly voted along the lines of respecting whatever the majority of the nations of the region wanted.

GBM: I voted according to the will of the people. I counted TGs as well as forum posts. I also encouraged the authors to post on the forum and address any concerns.

SillyString: I voted in line with the forum vote, except when there was an FA or military reason to do otherwise.

7)What was your policy for NPA/military action?

Wilkshire:
We were only at the beginning of forming the NPA back then. Though we were heavily allied to the ADN and tried to support them whenever possible.

GBM: TNP was staunchly defender at that point in time.

SillyString: I don't recall. It wasn't a ministry I had much interest in, even though I identify as a defender. I think I told the minister to keep the NPA active and don't cause an interregional incident.

8)What did you consider to be your greatest achievement(s)?

Wilkshire: With hindsight being delegate of the best region in the game can be considered an achievement I suppose!

GBM: By the time Lewis & Clark had gone rogue, I had already been through enough wars and mass-bannings to know how devastating it was to a community, and how difficult it was to rebuild in the aftermath. L&C’s Crimson Order had succeeded in dividing the TNP community, and winning the peace was going to be hampered by a legal process that would include numerous trials for war crimes. One of my first acts after regaining the delegacy was to offer amnesty to those who had supported the Crimson Order. I wanted those who had been led astray to be able to return to the fold.

SillyString: Well, I achieved the thing I ran for delegate to accomplish, which was setting things straight with Europeia. I can't point to much else I did as delegate that was notable - like I said, I mostly tried to keep things running as they had been. I view my legislative and judicial accomplishments as more significant than most of what I did as delegate.

9)What did you consider to be your greatest failure(s)?

Wilkshire: I probably should have done a better job in handing the delegacy over to Blackshear. With hindsight I could have made it easier for him.

GBM: As delegate? Falling asleep at the wheel and letting the VD overtake me in endorsements. Not recommended.

SillyString: "Failure" isn't quite the word I would use for this, because I have a pretty firm grasp of my strengths and weaknesses, but... I'm just not that good at being delegate. And that's okay! Not everyone is suited for the delegacy and not everyone can serve the region best as delegate, and I don't think there's anything wrong with making an NS career doing what you're good at.

10)What was/were the biggest events going on in the game during your time in office?

Wilkshire: It was at the time when Francos Spain and the NPO were at their peak so quite a lot used to revolve around what they had been up to and what our response should be.

GBM: Rogue, coup, repeat.

SillyString: Z-Day happened since it was the Fall term, but I don't really recall other than that.

11)What do you consider to be the best R/D term to describe you?

Wilkshire:
I’m heavily pro-defender. I don’t particularly like raiders!

GBM: Defender. When you see the devastation we saw in those early years, and countless nations driven away, you just don’t want that to happen to other communities.

SillyString: I generally identify as old-school defender (aka moralist defender), though I've sometimes used "defender-pendent" somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I have no ethical problem with a regional military that raids regions in pursuit of an actual foreign policy goal, but I cringe at the rationalization that it's "necessary" for a regional military to raid harmless, completely uninvolved regions for "training purposes".

I'm also a staunch supporter of Warzone Rights, and modern defending's dismissal of these regions and communities (or, worse, their willingness to raid them themselves!) frustrates me to no end.

Mostly I stay out of it now, though. I'm a relic of an older era and there's no real place for me in modern R/D.

12)How would you summarize what you perceive to be your legacy as a former Delegate of TNP?

Wilkshire:
I think the fact that I am still around more than 15 years after holding the delegacy counts for something. This is a great game and I suppose I am quite rightly seen as one of the old-timers now. It’s nice to have been around in the early days because it makes you appreciate what the region has become.

GBM: I always tried to share my vision of TNP as open and accepting. It’s someplace where newcomers have opportunities, and it’s a place for second chances or making a fresh start.

SillyString: See above.

13)Was there something that happened while you were in office that changed the course of the game and forced you to alter your plans while in office, and if so, what was it and how did it change your approach?

Wilkshire:
I can’t recall anything particularly dramatic happening.

GBM: There was something that changed my perspective on the R/D game. Back then, TNP was staunchly defender, myself along with it. As a known raider, Blue Wolf II faced a lot of hostility for – really - just for being there. But he started a dialogue about inclusiveness with respect to R/D.

Then came another coup (I honestly can’t remember which one) and I was either the Delegate-in-Exile or the DIW, but I was drumming up support from our allies in an effort to liberate TNP. BWII had some friends who could help. I recall I was approached by a sweet kitty-cat themed raider region. They wanted to help. Of course, I was happy for their assistance.

That was when I realized that the R/D aspect of the game was not all black and white. It is more complex than defender=good and raider=evil. I think today's NPA has shown it can successfully accommodate the whole spectrum of military activity.

SillyString: Not that I can recall. That happened more before I was delegate - the Euro situation arose and was not handled and was threatening to escalate, which made me decide to step up.

14)Which Ministry did you consider to be your favorite or strongest? Which did you consider to be your least favorite or weakest?

Wilkshire:
As I have said earlier, in the old days we didn’t really have any official ministries, although I enjoyed working with Nem who was doing his best to set up what would eventually evolve into the NPA.

GBM: My favorite ministry is Culture. I have always considered it the most important. Its mission centers on unity, identity, and camaraderie. It is the heart of what keeps TNP going.

My least favorite is… nah, I can’t say. All the ministries play a significant role in TNP.

SillyString: Weakest was definitely Comms - I don't think it put out a single issue the entire term.

Couldn't really opine on the strongest. I don't remember most of what any of them did! But if we're picking favorites, I've always had a soft spot for culture...

15)Were there any other players/former delegates you looked up to/considered a role model/example to follow?

Wilkshire:
Nastic was the delegate when I first joined the game and he was always tremendously supportive. Also Treenudity and The Twoslit Experiment who held the delegacy during my early time in TNP and who both did so much for the region Great people, I miss them all.

GBM: Flemingovia, because he is god. Blackshear, because I could just follow him around and say, “Yeah, what he said.”

SillyString: r3n, for sure!

16)Which region, ally or otherwise, did you consider yourself most personally connected to?

Wilkshire:
I would have to say Canada – I don’t really know why but I somehow put one of my puppet nations in there and ended up getting to know everyone. I also became TNP’s ambassador there for a while after my delegacy had ended.

GBM: 00000 A World Power. Sadly, AWP membership has dwindled, but those guys were great! My nation, GBM stayed there for a while.

SillyString: Well... my first region in NS was Equilism, so I'm always and forever connected there. But I haven't been super active there in quite some time, so it's not like it was a major part of my delegacy.

I think the real answer would be Warzone Europe! It was "mine" - they named me Empress, and I committed to protecting them against being raided. Equilism actually formally adopted WZE as a protectorate, and I definitely deployed the NPA a few times to defend it from harm. :angel: That arrangement has, sadly, fallen by the wayside, but I still see it as my warzone.

17)Which ally did you consider to be the strongest/have the best relationship during your delegacy, and why?

Wilkshire:
Probably The West Pacific. I think their ideals were the closest to our own.

GBM: I can’t recall.

SillyString: Euro might be the answer to both of these! I've always considered it to be a strong ally of TNP, but the relationship was extremely tenuous for a while and required patching up.

TSP also might be an answer, as Hileville's coup was during my term. I like Hile a lot, and when he and TSP's admin team came to blows, TNP was fully prepared to support him and TSP's government through a forum move. Unfortunately, he decided to coup the rest of the government instead, and we were compelled to side with TSP's constitutional government against him. That was tough.

18)Which ally did you consider to be the weakest/have the worst relationship during your delegacy, and why?

Wilkshire:
I don’t think there were any allies we had a bad relationship with during my time. I hope not anyway!

GBM: Once again, memory fails me.

SillyString: [see above]

19)Please go into as much detail as possible about your personal philosophy as a leader and your approach to leading the region.

Wilkshire:
I think the most important thing to remember is that NationStates is supposed to be a game – we all should enjoy playing it. Unfortunately I have seen the effects when it takes over people’s lives and they get really stressed out and upset over it and that shouldn’t happen. I always tried to encourage newcomers and established nations to do what they most enjoyed doing and get the most out of the game.

GBM: Peace was a fragile thing in those days, and I was continually grateful for the trust the region placed in me time and time again. I believe in a servant-leadership role. The delegacy is not a mandate to do what you want; the idea is to take the people where they want to go.

I felt the ban button should be used sparingly, if at all. Endotarters were, and still are, dealt with on a case-by-case basis. There were no Border Control officers then. As delegate, I banned just one nation. Everyone else responded well to having that little chat with mum. It speaks to my larger view that diplomacy and persuasion are preferable to the use of force. It may take more time and effort, but the end result is better. This approach applies to so many other aspects of TNP. Even though folks have their differences and we enjoy having our robust debates, when it’s all said and done we have more in common with one another than we realize.

SillyString: These are actually going to be kind of different things!

I think that in general, a leader's role is to let other people grow and stand out. To seek out, notice, and cultivate talent, to promote it, to give credit freely and provide guidance and structure where necessary. With all the ministries, and the size of the executive staff (and the whole region), a delegate has a ton of opportunity to do this! But I do think that active management is key here - unlike in something like the Speaker's office, where there are legally defined requirements, most of what ministries do has no set deadline. A cultural event could happen next week, next month, or next term. A new treaty could be written today, or tomorrow, or "idk, whenever I'm less busy". So whereas in some roles people can be guided by the requirements of the position, in the executive branch the delegate really needs to take an active management role in making goals and deadlines and holding people accountable. It's not enough to just see that someone would make a great event planner, it's also following up to make sure that they actually plan an event.

It's that part where I fall short. I can spot talent (I think!), but I'm just not great at the management part. I think it's a combination of lack of time/energy, lack of experience, and lack of inclination.

So at this point, my approach to leading the region is "don't". :P

20)What is your biggest regret from your time as Delegate? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Wilkshire:
I probably would have stayed longer. There was no pressure on me to stand down and when I consider the period of turmoil that hit the region a couple of months later I wonder if I could perhaps have helped us to avoid that. I gave up the delegacy because after a couple of months I felt it was time to give someone else a chance - perhaps would have been better if I had held on for a while.

GBM: Regrets? They have long ago been doused with rum and buried in the sands of time.

SillyString: I REGRET NOTHING! :P

I dunno. I don't spend that much time reliving it in my head. The region is still standing and still strong, so I consider that a win.

1)Tell us about your origins in TNP, and your rise to the top office.

Pallaith: I joined TNP in September 2016, just in time for the general election. I was encouraged to join by my region’s founder, Lore, in TVF, as well as Praetor, TNP’s MoFA at the time who visited TVF’s Discord. It was a time of opportunity and promise for aspiring newcomers, and I wanted to check it out, so I moved my puppet Pallaith to TNP. After the election the new Delegate, Plembobria, opened up signups for some of his cabinet positions. I initially applied for Minister of Communications, but he decided to go with Bootsie. I also applied for Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and fortunately he decided to appoint me to the office despite the fact I had been a citizen for two weeks. I had a very successful term, and established consistent talent in the ministry that would outlast me, especially my deputy Sil Dorsett. I was encouraged to run for Speaker by several friends and fellow TNPers despite the fact that Plemby hoped to keep me on. I figured I might as well give it a shot and though I expected to lose, things turned around when my main opponent, the sitting deputy speaker, pushed things too far calling out the government and making a scene after a perceived scandal in the Delegate’s office. I served the full term, bringing the concept of the Speaker staff to the office and bringing on talent who would go on to serve in the office in the months ahead.

Once more I was encouraged to run for office, this time the delegacy. It wasn’t something I planned to do this early, but I found the argument convincing. My opponents were former delegate Tomb and the perennial candidate Mall. Tomb spent the previous term recruiting his voters and supporters and guaranteed the support of pretty much everyone I would have asked, so the deck seemed stacked against me. The new generation didn’t care as much about his past scandal violating his oath of office, so he looked like a slam dunk. Fortunately for me, he overplayed his hand and tried to scare a lot of important members of the community and our allies by making false claims about my foreign policy goals and plans. When this got out, his base crumbled and I easily won the election.

El Fiji Grande: I joined The North Pacific on July 17th, 2018. Immediately after joining, I thrust myself into regional affairs, by fierce endotarting, applying for citizenship, applying to serve in all five executive ministries (except, I suppose, for the NPA), and making a genuine effort to get to know people on each of our platforms, though most of my focus was on Discord. I got noticed in the Ministry of Communications, and very soon after joining, I began my first term as Minister there. When I took over the Ministry from Brendog, The Northern Lights were being published reliably each month, but I felt lacked interesting content. In the following months, many changes were made to how the Ministry operated, and new publications were created to meet increased demand. I am extremely proud of the work I did to revive the Northern Broadcast Service as well. Riding off that success, I applied and was accepted as a member of the Security Council, and successfully campaigned for the delegacy.

2)When were you delegate? How long did you serve? How did you take office? Tell us about the experience of taking office/the transition.

Pallaith: I was elected in May 2017, re-elected in September 2017, and elected a third time I January 2019. I served all three terms to completion. The transition was delayed the first time because we decided to celebrate Manumission Day by re-enacting Stars of Sky’s retaking of the region from Pixiedance, so we had Plemby resign WA on that day. This delayed the transition and stretched it to 2 weeks. When Gladio took over in January 2018, the transition also took a while as he had to get the necessary endorsements in order. When I took over in January 2019, I was the Vice Delegate so the transition only took about 3 days.

El Fiji Grande: I won the May 2019 delegate election, and served until September of that year. I experienced a fairly slow delegacy transition, despite recently having been confirmed as a Security Council member. All in all, it took about two weeks, and was finally concluded with a huge effort to unendorse the previous delegate, Ghost. I found the transition to be pretty stressful despite having started with a very high endorsement count as I don’t personally enjoy endotarting.

3)When you were running for delegate/pursuing/assuming the office, what were the big issues of the day?

Pallaith: Whether or not we should repeal CAIN; the state of the RMB and the growing unrest of the players there; when I ran the third time, it was how we would proceed in the game following the aftermath of the NPO revelations, and how involved TNP would be in the wider game

El Fiji Grande: There were a number of big issues. I’ll highlight some here, but the best thing to do if you’re curious is to visit the election archives in The Mound on the offsite forums and read the campaigns of each of the candidates for office.

One was a demand for an increase in government transparency, particularly as it pertained to how my administration would handle FOIA requests, especially those that were investigating Discord-based discussions. I also wanted to make sure each Ministry publicly released monthly reports to update the public on progress being made.

Another thing was a need for resources such as tutorials and other guides created by the Ministry of Home Affairs to augment manual recruitment lists. It’s one thing to bring newcomers to our offsite forums and to Discord; it’s another to provide them with the knowledge to succeed in becoming future leaders of this region.

r3n has been very interested in NS Cards, and while I was initially hesitant due to “monetization” concerns, I ultimately saw the brilliance of his ideas. Since Ghost introduced a number of NS Card programs in his term, it only made sense to continue those programs and expand them to involve more facets of TNP life.

I was also personally very interested in increasing the podcast frequency of NBS, and to expand the audience of the program. Specifically, I felt that introducing NBS to the RP community could provide an interactive forum to discuss and think about concepts in roleplay.

In my campaign, I also made a fairly large blunder in that I suggested that TNP join Libcord to participate much more actively and frequently in defender activity, giving the NPA some balance. However, I learned from that mistake after listening to the concerns of NPAers themselves. It caused quite a stir right at the start of the campaign.

4)What was your focus/plans/set of goals for the region? For foreign policy?

Pallaith: I wanted to create new opportunities for players and engage a greater number. This ended up mostly coming in the form of our work with the Gameside Advocates. I wanted to expand our WA influence and maintain the heights we had the terms before. I wanted us to leave our default state as an island and connect more to other regions, especially improving relationships with historical enemies or cold neighbors. Internally, I wanted to increase the output of the Comms ministry (we got an issue out almost every month of my first 2 terms, so this was successful) and manage an event that would celebrate and involve our treaty allies (we expanded it to include some other interested regions, and it was a modest success).

El Fiji Grande: My main plans as detailed in my campaign met the needs set by the issues of the day as described above. I set about the term with a strong focus in Communications, Home Affairs, and Culture, with the idea to continue the excellence of our publications, bring about new resources for newcomers, and have an active community of RP-related VCs and festivals. I did not engage much with GP, much to chagrin of others who value their feedback more. I wanted to take a much more positive approach to diplomacy by reaching out to friends and neighbors abroad to find common interests in an effort to build festivals for cross-cultural exchanges. In that pursuit, we have put our best foot forward toward building another Roleplay Festival with Greater Dienstad - which we intend to share with the world - and have reached out to 10000 Islands for a festival as well. I also wanted to update the Civil Defence Siren and reset our retaliatory recruitment program to provide an incentive for said regions not to repeat recruitment offences.

5)Who was your cabinet? How did you organize the government? How did that organization/government compare to the one we have now? What were the duties, tasks performed, how did they differ from what they do now?

Pallaith: FA: Sankami (first term); Kasch, Raven (second term); Brendog, McMasterdonia (third term)
WA: Sil Dorsett (first and second term); Tlomz (third term)
HA: Siwale (first term); abc (second term); BMWSurfer (third term)
Defense: Sasten (first term); Darcania (first and third term); Gladio (first and second term); Bobberino (third term)
Comms: Scorch (first term); Brendog (second term); El Fiji Grande (third term)
Culture: SillyString (first term); McMasterdonia (second term); MadJack, Prydania (third term)

The government was organized the same as the term before and the terms since. HA changed a bit with the addition of the Gameside Advocates, a program that continues to this day and evolved from the old RMB Guardians.

El Fiji Grande: Pallaith (Ghost) - Communications
Prydania - Culture
Bobberino - Defense/NPA; later Palutenia (Koopa)
TlomzKrano (Tlomz) - World Assembly Affairs
McMasterdonia - Foreign Affairs
Marcus Antonius - Home Affairs; later, Francois Isidore (Robespierre) - HA

General issues were handled in the executive council chambers. Ministry reports were due monthly. A delegate can’t do everything, so there must be some delegation and ministry independence.

6)What was your policy for handling WA votes?

Pallaith: I continued the policy of previous delegates, and voted according to how the majority vote in our forum thread on pending votes indicated I should. In the event I intended to vote contrary to that majority, I would clearly explain why in a formal post, but only for significant, SC votes.

El Fiji Grande: I initially started quite fierce, but it became evident that I was hindered by lack of early FA knowledge and WA experience. This became quite controversial during the Condemn LKE vote, and I realized I needed to better listen to if not follow the advice of more experienced diplomats.

7)What was your policy for NPA/military action?

Pallaith: I maintained TNP’s longstanding commitment to Independence. I did try to focus more effort on building the experience of the staff so we were not reliant on just one individual to continue running the NPA, as well as more collaborative ops with other militaries, particularly those who rarely work with the NPA. In my first term we worked really hard to collaborate with TWP.

El Fiji Grande: Generally, I would let high command propose missions, and decide whether or not to give the go-ahead. I did advocate for more joint operations, and encouraged my Minister of Defense to reach out to get involved with other organizations.

8)What did you consider to be your greatest achievement(s)?

Pallaith: UPPERCUT. It was a marvel of collaboration at the time, putting together our oldest ally (TSP) with an old enemy (NPO), and it was one of the biggest risks I took as delegate. Plenty of people felt I should have collaborated with our other allies, especially as it would have moved us away from another GCR/UCR dichotomy, but it capitalized on a trend in both regions to connect more with ours, and in the case of the NPO, was the single biggest factor in thawing the cold war that still existed. It was also because of this collaboration that TNP got to place second one year and first the next, when we brought in TEP, another ally we hadn’t been able to do much with, so it was also some of the best performances we had in NS game events. I don’t like to take credit for much, as so much of what we got done involved the hard work of others, and while that does include the participants in the N-Day events, we could have gone a very different way with this event if I sat out of the proposed alliance, and if we had, it would have changed how N-Day played out for everyone. I’m not sure it would have lent itself to nearly as many good internet memes if we hadn’t set it up.

I am immensely proud of the WA Symposium during my third term. It was an event that was clearly part of the wider game, transcended treaties, brought in voices and people who rarely participated in events hosted by our region, and led to the articulation of potential game-changing ideas, some of which came to life outside our event. It allowed us to create a model for future Northern Broadcast Service shows as well as events hosted on Discord, as its panel model and responsiveness to whomever was present at a given moment showed a different way to handle such events compared to some of the others that took place before it. It was the most successful festival/cultural event that TNP has produced in a long time, and was extended to a second weekend through popular demand.

I am also particularly proud of the NS card program. The NS trading cards came back shortly before my third term, and had another delegate less interested in that aspect of the game been around, I am not sure the program would have been as encouraged or developed in so short a time frame. The architect of the program probably would have still developed it, but a delegate resistant or uninterested in such things can get in the way, and also fail to involve the public at large. Because of our efforts bot in WADP and the card request program, we have seen a marked increase in WA participation in TNP and we get to be a leading voice/actor in another aspect of NS.

El Fiji Grande: I’d say my greatest achievements were first and foremost cultural in nature. This would include the RP-themed NBS shows that became quite popular in the middle of the term, and that I’d like to continue going forward. They built trust and changed the perception of our government within our roleplay community, which I would consider incredibly valuable progress.

Secondly, we also did an excellent job promoting government transparency, fulfilling our goal of monthly Ministry reports (so long as you include the NPA Bulletin and the WA Digest of TNS as the Defense and WAA reports, respectively). We also complied with each FOIA request.

9)What did you consider to be your greatest failure(s)?

Pallaith: Generally speaking, I felt that my emphasis on optimistic diplomacy gave short shrift to the allies we did have existing treaties with, and while that was not my intention, I felt we could have done more to reinvigorate our bonds with them. I see the Lazarus civil war as a great opportunity to articulate our values and stand for something that was missed due to an abundance of caution. While subsequent revelations showed that caution was warranted, there was enough to critique no matter what side one was on that we could have been a voice encouraging better behavior and a better outcome initially. The fact that things turned out mostly alright in the end does not negate the fact that I could have done more in the moment.

El Fiji Grande: By the same coin, I’d consider my failures to be mostly cultural as well. We’ve made a lot of progress toward getting a number of festivals to happen, but instead of just focusing on one at a time, we made the mistake of trying to do too many things at once. Furthermore, a number of the events which failed to occur make more sense in other contexts.

For example, by the time the Endorsement Frenzy I had planned was ready - in the form of SC Week - it was already very late in the term. It would make more sense for this event to be held near the start of the next term to boost the endorsement count of the next sitting delegate, perhaps even elevating them into office. To do so near the end of the term would be irresponsible, as doing so would only increase the delegacy transition time.

The Lennarts which I wanted to bring back deserve rather to be held at the end of a calendar year, such that they can honor the achievements of the entire previous year. It made little sense to host it in early August for that reason. Hopefully, the work we’ve done on it can be put toward the next time they’re hosted, hopefully next term, and help initiate a quicker voting scheme.

And lastly, as a former Minister of Communications, I had been very excited about the possibility of a Comms Festival. However, I ultimately came to the realization that a Comms festival would make much more sense if paired with a larger event, such as the Greater Dienstad RP festival I mentioned earlier in this interview.

10)What was/were the biggest events going on in the game during your time in office?

Pallaith: The civil war in Lazarus, N-Day 2, the last NSWF; later, in my third term, the aftermath of the NPO scandal

El Fiji Grande: Early in the term, the Condemn LKE resolution made a big splash in the GP community. Our original WA vote at home narrowly supported the proposal, but by stacking my vote, I inadvertently angered our WALL allies, who had specifically requested I not do so. After it was revealed that significant errors had been made in the proposal, after the author was found to have manipulated evidence, and after r3n made an impassioned case against, the case for supporting the resolution broke apart, and I reversed my vote. There weren’t many WA resolutions this term, but this one had a lasting impact, and I spent much of the rest of the term rebuilding trust with our allies.

Another large, ongoing event has been the instability and volatility of politics within TEP. The situation was - and remains - rather complicated, with concerns that the current administration has showed signs of rejecting democratic sentiments. Several prominent regions released statements condemning the situation, and our Ministry of Foreign Affairs felt pressure to release a similar statement on the matter. We did not do so because doing so would not have improved conditions in TEP, and would do a disservice to long-standing friends there, by giving justifications to the powers that be.

One of things I had originally been planning to do, and had especially considered following the uncertainty surrounding TEP was to withdraw from our N-Day UPPERCUT alliance with a number of GCRs. However, given the amount of effort the NPO has made to rebuild interregional trust from their imperialist days, and given the desire to remain treaty-allies with TEP (and share a cultural event), we decided to remain within the UPPERCUT alliance. In so doing, we were able to invite both Europeia and TRR to the alliance. While N-Day hasn’t hit yet, and is now expected to arrive on September 26th, this is a policy that will hopefully be followed by the next administration.

And then lastly, haha, Escade had me in the latest issue of Gameplay Magazine, which, while not the biggest event during this term, is one more people should talk about :P

11)What do you consider to be the best R/D term to describe you?

Pallaith: Independent. More accurately, I do not consider myself to have an affiliation and am open to military actions that would give TNP flexibility to work with people and regions as they deem necessary or as best suits them.

El Fiji Grande: When it comes to R/D, I think I’m just weird. I would have called myself a Defender, but I’m ok with a lot of things, including tag raiding. I just don’t like community destruction and griefing, which has always been my main frustration with raiders.

12)How would you summarize what you perceive to be your legacy as a former Delegate of TNP?

Pallaith: Though not everyone agrees, I feel that there are degrees to treaties and I put greater emphasis on smaller, more limited treaties than previous delegates. While the Non-Aggression Pact I did get with Osiris proved to be a hopeful start that subsequent events guaranteed would go nowhere, it was part of my broader argument for optimistic diplomacy, a lecture I wrote for the last NSWF. Engagement with the greater game is something I like to think I have become known for, and it continues to be something I push for as an active member of the community. Internally, I hope my legacy includes the transformation of the communication ministry, which was always one step away from being abolished before I first became delegate, and has dramatically changed form several times in the years since. I would include the WA ministry as well, though I did my best work there as a minister and it was the efforts of those who came after me who continued to make it a robust, crucial ministry. And of course I would be remiss if I did not again mention NS cards, as our efforts developing programs related to them has helped make TNP an authority in that aspect of the game and drawn talent and attention to our region that we might not have gotten otherwise.

El Fiji Grande: Ultimately, I fear that I’ll be viewed as someone who overpromised and underdelivered, given what happened with the festivals I described above. I hope I’m also remembered as a delegate who cared about each of our communities, frequently participated in VCs, and remained flexible even in difficult times. That said, I think I’ll be remembered more for the work I did as Minister of Communications than for my time as Delegate. Whether I’ll ultimately be viewed as a good or bad delegate is not for me to decide, but only time will tell.

13)Was there something that happened while you were in office that changed the course of the game and forced you to alter your plans while in office, and if so, what was it and how did it change your approach?

Pallaith: By the time my first term was ending, our players and those from the NPO were surprisingly starting to get closer. The timing of this change in relations was directly responsible for why the NPO was receptive to partnering up for N-Day, but it is important to note that part of that rapprochement was due to how nasty our rivalry had been in the last N-Day, so if that event had not come around in the first place, or a second time, things may have remained icy for much longer than they did. Things changed in late 2018 obviously, but at the time this was a positive development. In light of this successful partnership, I took a much more serious look at working on thawing other icy relationships, and jumped at the chance to work on our relationship with Osiris when they got a new pharaoh. I had already been working on engaging more with TWP through military operations, but I did begin to think bigger by the time my second term began.

El Fiji Grande: Yes. At some point during the term, as part of my plans to expand NBS to allow more TNPers to create their own shows and post them on our platform, I approved a Catholic show by Wonderess and United Massachusetts. The resulting controversy about where to draw the line led to the implementation of a broad policy that dictates that TNP’s government will only publish strictly game-related content. While TNPers can still create their own shows and post them on their own platforms, they cannot post them through NBS on our platform. As a result, I had to change my plans for NBS away from community-driven show-based content to more of a Comms/Culture-driven project. Furthermore, as part of the NS-content only policy, TNP’s University was spun off from our government into an independently-run organization in order for it to continue hosting non-NS related content. To this day, I remain uncertain if I made the right decision, but it’s one I feel applies a policy equally to all members of our community, and is understandable.

14)Which Ministry did you consider to be your favorite or strongest? Which did you consider to be your least favorite or weakest?

Pallaith: World Assembly Affairs. It was my first role in the government and has always been an area of interest for me. Defense is my weakest, as I have never engaged in R/D and knew very little about how it works.

El Fiji Grande: Communications remained the strongest ministry during my term, expanding NBS, continuing the production of newspapers and journals, and continuing to work closely with other Ministries, including Culture and Home Affairs. The most recent issue of The Northern Lights will be delayed into next term though, due to a lack of articles. I’d rather release the issue late than disappoint our readership with a poorly-crafted issue.

I think Home Affairs was the weakest Ministry this term, despite the greater focus I wanted to put on it. While Culture had difficulty finishing a number of events, there was a significant effort put into them. By comparison, HA started slow and stayed slow throughout much of the term. While some progress was made in improving resources for newcomers, such as with the creation of NBS tutorial scripts, the Ministry even fell behind on manual recruitment lists, often regarded as one of its most basic responsibilities. HA has so much potential to improve that I was disappointed with the lack of progress we made there. I hope the Ministry will place a larger focus on gameside activity and active mentorship going forward.

15)Were there any other players/former delegates you looked up to/considered a role model/example to follow?

Pallaith: I considered r3n to be my main mentor and supporter as I made my way in TNP. McMasterdonia proved to be a great friend and role model as I got to know him. I considered many of the historical players who were still around to be fountains of information and examples I could follow, like SillyString or Eluvatar or COE.

El Fiji Grande: As I’ve often discussed in my RMB AMAs, my primary mentor has been Ghost. He has probably now spent hundreds of hours answering my questions and developing a strong friendship. I see his third term as delegate in particular to be a role model for future delegates - one that I failed to live up to with this term, but will hopefully have another chance to take a stab at in the future.

I also look up to McMasterdonia as a legendary figure in TNP, and value his advice.

16)Which region, ally or otherwise, did you consider yourself most personally connected to?

Pallaith: My home region was The Versutian Federation. The last remaining person who controlled the founder account there was Lore, who has been involved in TNP for years. Through TVF, I have been close to other regions in the leftist sphere, though mostly those who aren’t part of or particularly involved in NSLeft. From knowing individuals there, Europeia is probably the closest among our allies, though I have never been too involved or engaged there despite attempts to do so.

El Fiji Grande: Well, personally, by far, I feel most connected with TNP. But to really answer your question, Europeia, TRR, and Wintreath are regions I’ve always connected with. Europeia for EBC Radio, TRR for the RRA (defenderism), and Wintreath for the Summersend Festival and other fun and games.

17)Which ally did you consider to be the strongest/have the best relationship during your delegacy, and why?

18)Which ally did you consider to be the weakest/have the worst relationship during your delegacy, and why?

Pallaith: Through sheer participation in events, opportunities to interact, work with each other, and mingle culturally, TSP clearly stands above the others. They were also a huge part of organizing UPPERCUT which has defined how we engage in N-Day for two successive years. I would give TEP a strong second due to WA and delegate communication, and that is thanks entirely to Yuno having been delegate at the same time I was, despite the fact we ended up mostly on opposite sides of WA votes. There were many parallels to our regions in those days and our collaboration played a role in TEP’s massive growth in that time. Since she left the delegacy, TEP maintained the rivalry in the WA but without the friendly communication. So I suppose TEP could have been second in worst relationship with an ally.

I felt that we did the least with Balder, as I recall we had opportunities to work with most of our allies in some form across my three terms (I count an operation to defend Stargate as an interaction) but we didn’t really have an opportunity or quality time with them. Having said that, as a partner in WALL we have had plenty of occasion to work with them in a broader sense, and they were part of the Friendship Fair, I just felt we didn’t have anything I could point to as just being for us.

El Fiji Grande: I think we’ve had the closest relationship with Greater Dienstad this term due to the joint RP Festival that’s been in the works for some time. We’ve had to closely coordinate with them in the planning process.

I think our weakest alliance throughout this term was with TEP, due to public perception of our stance in relation to the instability within the region. That said, it’s also worth noting the irritation of our WALL allies given my mishandling of the Condemn LKE vote, which we’ve had to work to rebuild trust.

19)Please go into as much detail as possible about your personal philosophy as a leader and your approach to leading the region.

Pallaith: Collaboration and making sure all elements come together so that we are stronger than the sum of our parts. Every time I began work as a delegate, I crafted my plans and structured the government so that the projects we undertook would connect to the different ministries and all of our combined effort could lead to events and activity that build on the contributions of everyone. My approach as one of delegation, I put in people I could trust to manage their ministries and let them do so, as long as what they did ultimately led to my plans for the region. If the visions strayed or their approaches did not get us where I wanted us to go, then we would mutually part ways.

I wanted to carefully consider how to approach situations and projects and gather the best minds for advice and ideas, and whenever possible, forge the best path out of those ideas, as much as I could. I developed this approach in the WA ministry when I would have competing takes on pending votes and develop a voice for our Information for Voters releases based on the strongest and most compelling voice, which was many times altered as a result of the exchange with people wo had other ideas. I felt it was my job to pull out the best from everyone in government, and also to encourage the best of our regular players, through giving them opportunities to get involved and participate or by inspiring them, and showing them a positive and constructive way to engage with the game. I wanted our complex machinery and bench of talented players to not just build a better machine, but a better game in general, and I felt the best way to do that was to appeal to aspirations and optimism rather than emphasize the usual cynicism and status quo that defined NS for years prior to m being delegate.

El Fiji Grande: Great leadership, in my mind, is much the same as being a decent person.
  1. Seek compromises
  2. Include others
  3. Be reasonable and just
  4. Be respectful, cautious, and professional
  5. Avoid jumping to conclusions, always ask for evidence
  6. Accept and encourage criticism
  7. Admit my mistakes
  8. Be forgiving - easy to be lenient with people who work hard
  9. Don’t let your ego affect your judgement
  10. Volunteer to get jobs done to make life for your ministers easier
  11. Be flexible, and adjust policy if advice opposes your view
  12. Ask for help if you know you need it
  13. Stay involved everywhere you can
  14. You serve all nations in the region, so hear what they have to say, and do your best to incorporate their vision of the region into your goals
  15. Take opportunities when they present themselves
  16. Take the blame when things go wrong. Your ministers serve at your pleasure, and they work incredibly hard for the success of the region.
I emphasize the independence of each Minister to handle their Ministry how they please, but to have the executive council come together as a team when facing important issues.

20)What is your biggest regret from your time as Delegate? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Pallaith: I felt that in trying to be collaborative and mindful of playing the game differently than had been done in the past, I may have played things too safe my first two terms as delegate. TNP has convictions and values and sometimes that means being in conflict with others who don’t see things the same way. A great opportunity to test this would have been the Lazarus civil war. I chose a middle ground, as I typically did, and gave the sides a chance to come to amicable terms behind closed doors, but the differences were too great. Even if we ultimately did not choose a side and involved the NPA, I feel we could have engaged in the conflict and stated our principles and applied them to what was happening. Instead, we remained silent. This was something I wanted to emphasize during my third term, though the aftermath of the NPO scandal didn’t actually give us many opportunities to do so. Since gameplay stabilized a lot in the new year, I didn’t have another chance to try a new, more aggressive rhetorical approach, so instead I tried to articulate those values and outline a more engaged approach to playing NS.

In terms of inside baseball, I found myself in a tug of war between competing advisors. I think I tried to please everyone as much as I wanted to make the most careful, reasoned decision. I could have and should have been more willing to push my own instinctive and personal preferences as much as I weighed those of others. I was partly timid as a result of being a relatively new player, despite the fact that I wished to use that as a strength to forge a new path. I believe I made up for this in my third term, but I wish it didn’t take two terms for me to articulate my own firm beliefs and approaches to handling situations, and that I was more willing to be confrontational at times.

El Fiji Grande: My biggest regret is not having as much time in the last few weeks, due to graduation, job interviews, and other trips. A lot of projects haven’t been finished. Sometimes, life spins you a curveball, and it certainly got in the way of a more substantial term. I’m not sure how much I’d have done differently, given that I did the best I could with the time I had. I hope someday, TNP will trust me with another term as delegate when I have more time, and can really do it right.

Last edited:
Back