The Disappointed Father
-
TNP Nation
Oracle
Discord
Hyperion#1325
resized.png

"The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling." — Varys​

The wheels have turned and in the end were broken like none before. Pardon me while I continue to burn out my frustration regarding the final season of Game of Thrones. But in true election fashion, I have continued to keep a Game of Thrones quote to start my campaign.

True to my previous campaigns, I believe in promising the fundamentals of the office in which I am running. Often times this can be overlooked in a campaign and we look to see what the candidate is promising and forgetting to ask if they can do the basics. This not simply talking about just TNP elections or even NS elections. This is a concept I believe in for real life matters.

But this is NS and I am running for the Vice Delegacy of the North Pacfic and I am asking for your support in my bid for office.

Experience:

A little about my experience within the realm of TNP. I have served as the Speaker of the Regional Assembly since January 2019 till the end of this election. This was a position that I did not initially ever see myself occupying, but one that I have learned quite a bit from. One thing I felt that I was able to accomplish was bringing the office back to the basic functions of its duties. Evaluating aspects of what the office was doing and had previously done, I felt that it distracted from the core of its duties and worked to reduce those activities and focus on the fundamentals. I also have served as a member of the Security Council since December of 2018, offering me insight and experience with fellow Council members. Other positions that I have held in the region include Minister of Culture, Deputy Minister of Culture, Election Commissioner, Deputy Speaker, and staff member of various ministries.

Weekly Updates:

As Vice Delegate, I will continue the weekly updates of the Security Council activity that Sil Dorsett and Pallaith performed. This was in my opinion an incredible way for members of the region to see what members of the Security Council were being active and engaged through Endo-Tarting. As part of the updates, I intend to do a spotlight on a member of the council who could use a boost on endorsements and run an alternating campaign of dispatches and telegrams. I would like to explore reserving a section on the WFE for this spotlighted SC member.

WADP:

Information provided from the WADP Survey will prove invaluable in evaluating the effectiveness of the program and areas that can be improved upon. This is something that I plan to work with members of the Security Council, the Delegate, and r3n on taking the information provided and turning that into improvements for the WADP.

Citizenship Checks:

@Sil Dorsett put it best 8 months ago when he said “I don’t believe any check should be treated as just running through the motions.” I will freely admit there were a few cases during my Speakership that I felt I was just running through the motions. The Vice Delegate check is quite different from the Speaker’s. The Vice Delegate has traditionally only had 3 days to determine if an individual is a threat to the region. Today that has been increased to 7 days. This allows for more time for any issues to be raised about an application. I would make sure to take input from the Security Council in situations where I wanted a second opinion on an application. Additionally I would welcome the Security Council to speak up on an application if they feel that person needs to be looked at more.

In conclusion, I would like to thank you all for your support during my two terms as Speaker. I hope to have shown you that I am prepared to take on the office of the Vice Delegate and that I have the ability to do it to the level expected here in the North Pacific. I encourage you all to ask questions, provide feedback, and continue to participate in these elections and after. I have learned quite a lot during my term as Speaker and serving on the Security Council and I hope that I will be able to continue learning as your next Vice Delegate.

Valar morghulis, Valar Dohaeris,

~Artemis

Nice to see you running Artemis. You’ve done a great job as speaker.

A question for you:

Shortly before the next Delegate’s inauguration ceremony, the security council is informed that there is a bomb in the Delegate’s penthouse. The Secret Service attempt to evacuate the Delegate, but it was a trick to lure the Delegate out onto the street where a mentally unstable NPA veteran @QuietDad will be framed for the assassination (which was actually orchestrated by NPA General @Gladio). General @Darcania who only wanted to scare the new Delegate and not kill them instead tips off the new Delegate when he finds out what the other generals are up to. Some of the Security Council leave the parking lot along with the Delegate-elects Chief of Staff @r3naissanc3r. A bomb explodes and destroys their vehicles and kills everyone inside. The Delegate elect retreats inside their hotel where many members of the Security Council are shot and killed by NPA operatives. @Siwale tells the Delegate-elect that they must do everything he says, as the building is now a kill zone. Siwale is also a former lover of QuietDad for some reason.

Siwale and QuietDad help the Delegate-elect to escape outside the building. NPA General Gladio shoots and kills QuietDad who is driving the getaway vehicle, but not before it is driven far down the street where the Delegate elect is easily seen alive by their people.

The Delegate-elect subsequently takes the oath of office in secret due to security concerns.

The Delegate arrests all senior NPA officials, University academics, and security officials with any kind of connection to the perpetrators. It’s a full blown crisis and the Delegate is paranoid and suspicious of everyone including you.

The Delegate is now the subject of conspiracy theories perpetrated by @El Fiji Grande and the liberal media outlet “TNL”.

El Fiji Grande uses alternative facts and deep fakes to portray the Delegate’s son as a deserter during his service as an NPA soldier during the liberation of TSP in 2013.

The Delegate is driven into a further bout of paranoia and anger. Striking our against officials and posting a lot of tweets.

The cabinet which is made up of politically ambitious people attempts to remove the Delegate as the situation gets out of control. The delegate fires all of them and the new cabinet is made up entirely of RMB nations who agree to abolish the regional forum.

Nevertheless, the Delegate is paranoid that you too are behind an attempt to take them down. Their paranoia drives you crazy and you realise you have no choice but to remove the Delegate. The new cabinet agrees and you’re sworn in as Acting Delegate.

It turns out that @abc and his region Forced has been influencing everything behind the scenes and sponsored the coup. Loyal operatives have investigated and found a witness who will testify. But before they can escape Forced, they are stopped at the border. Despite having diplomatic immunity, they’re not allowed to leave.

They call you for help. But the new Minister of Foreign Affairs, a powerful figure in the region urges you not to assist. As allowing them to return, will result in the reinstatement of the former Delegate and a vindication of their mistakes.

What do you do?

How would you manage this crisis?

How would you restore faith in the democratic institutions?

A question for you:

Shortly before the next Delegate’s inauguration ceremony, the security council is informed that there is a bomb in the Delegate’s penthouse. The Secret Service attempt to evacuate the Delegate, but it was a trick to lure the Delegate out onto the street where a mentally unstable NPA veteran @QuietDad will be framed for the assassination (which was actually orchestrated by NPA General @Gladio). General @Darcania who only wanted to scare the new Delegate and not kill them instead tips off the new Delegate when he finds out what the other generals are up to. Some of the Security Council leave the parking lot along with the Delegate-elects Chief of Staff @r3naissanc3r. A bomb explodes and destroys their vehicles and kills everyone inside. The Delegate elect retreats inside their hotel where many members of the Security Council are shot and killed by NPA operatives. @Siwale tells the Delegate-elect that they must do everything he says, as the building is now a kill zone. Siwale is also a former lover of QuietDad for some reason.

Siwale and QuietDad help the Delegate-elect to escape outside the building. NPA General Gladio shoots and kills QuietDad who is driving the getaway vehicle, but not before it is driven far down the street where the Delegate elect is easily seen alive by their people.

The Delegate-elect subsequently takes the oath of office in secret due to security concerns.

The Delegate arrests all senior NPA officials, University academics, and security officials with any kind of connection to the perpetrators. It’s a full blown crisis and the Delegate is paranoid and suspicious of everyone including you.

The Delegate is now the subject of conspiracy theories perpetrated by @El Fiji Grande and the liberal media outlet “TNL”.

El Fiji Grande uses alternative facts and deep fakes to portray the Delegate’s son as a deserter during his service as an NPA soldier during the liberation of TSP in 2013.

The Delegate is driven into a further bout of paranoia and anger. Striking our against officials and posting a lot of tweets.

The cabinet which is made up of politically ambitious people attempts to remove the Delegate as the situation gets out of control. The delegate fires all of them and the new cabinet is made up entirely of RMB nations who agree to abolish the regional forum.

Nevertheless, the Delegate is paranoid that you too are behind an attempt to take them down. Their paranoia drives you crazy and you realise you have no choice but to remove the Delegate. The new cabinet agrees and you’re sworn in as Acting Delegate.

It turns out that @abc and his region Forced has been influencing everything behind the scenes and sponsored the coup. Loyal operatives have investigated and found a witness who will testify. But before they can escape Forced, they are stopped at the border. Despite having diplomatic immunity, they’re not allowed to leave.

They call you for help. But the new Minister of Foreign Affairs, a powerful figure in the region urges you not to assist. As allowing them to return, will result in the reinstatement of the former Delegate and a vindication of their mistakes.

What do you do?

The Minister of Foreign Affairs in this scenario is of course @mcmasterdonia

I intend to do a spotlight on a member of the council who could use a boost on endorsements and run an alternating campaign of dispatches and telegrams.

Shouldn't this be something that the SC member themself do, though? Wouldn't you think this promotes laziness in the Security Council, seeing as if their endo numbers drop a bit low, you would be there to boost them back up? And if that were to happen, it would be difficult to determine which SCer is slacking and would likely be non-present in an emergency, don't you think?

Artemis,

Consider the following. Two members have applied for citizenship. They pass the Speaker and Admin checks. One of the members poses a security concern. It has taken the SC and yourself five days to discuss this member. Before you could post his rejection and inform the RA, the forums go down 503 error. The host was not able to bring the site back up for three days, putting the VD check past the legal deadline.

What is your course of action?

A question for you:

What do you do?

Step 1 is to raid the rum storage because it will be needed.

The easiest solution to this mess is to reveal that ABC and Forcedites are behind it all the manipulation, stall the reinstatement of the former Delegate who was ousted through legal means by taking the case to the Courts, and requesting R4Rs till the next scheduled election.

I would then introduce a system of panem et circenses to distract the populace long enough till a new government can be elected.

Shouldn't this be something that the SC member themself do, though? Wouldn't you think this promotes laziness in the Security Council, seeing as if their endo numbers drop a bit low, you would be there to boost them back up? And if that were to happen, it would be difficult to determine which SCer is slacking and would likely be non-present in an emergency, don't you think?

This program will not solely target individuals of the SC that are getting low on endorsements, but to strategically work to maneuver members higher in the rankings of endorsements. My thoughts are to do this to try to push individuals who are are active and recognizable higher up in endorsements. This would not be used to call out a SC member regarding their endorsements.

Artemis,

Consider the following. Two members have applied for citizenship. They pass the Speaker and Admin checks. One of the members poses a security concern. It has taken the SC and yourself five days to discuss this member. Before you could post his rejection and inform the RA, the forums go down 503 error. The host was not able to bring the site back up for three days, putting the VD check past the legal deadline.

What is your course of action?

This scenario would constitute a forum access emergency and per Section 9.3.12, in which I would consult with the AG on this for further opinion on, the down time of the forum would not effect the time for the Vice Delegate security check on the applicant. Thus once the forum is available for public use, the timer on their application would resume from the 5th day, allowing for an additional two days for the VD check.

12. The governmental authorities of the region are authorized to take any reasonable actions which they deem appropriate and which are consistent with the spirit and intent of regional laws to preserve the continuity of both community and government for the duration of the emergency.

Do you have any plans to utilize cards beyond the existing programs to bolster our WAs and endocrossing?

Here's a question for you, Artemis:

Recently, you've been forgiving when it comes to giving people a chance to state their nation name after taking the oath and forgetting it. As the current VD, this is a nightmare scenario for me. The three seven-day timer is running, and there's no guarantee that the applicant will correct the error in time for me to do my task. In a case where I don't know the nation name, if they correct the error on the 8th day, I'm out of luck. They applied 8 days ago and my check is expired.

Let's also assume in a separate scenario that I have figured out the correct nation name without them declaring; for instance, their forum name is their nation name. I pass them on the 7th day. Then they declare a different nation name than the one I checked. I'm screwed.

Let's trade places. How would you handle each of these scenarios?

Here's a question for you, Artemis:

Recently, you've been forgiving when it comes to giving people a chance to state their nation name after taking the oath and forgetting it. As the current VD, this is a nightmare scenario for me. The three seven-day timer is running, and there's no guarantee that the applicant will correct the error in time for me to do my task. In a case where I don't know the nation name, if they correct the error on the 8th day, I'm out of luck. They applied 8 days ago and my check is expired.

Let's also assume in a separate scenario that I have figured out the correct nation name without them declaring; for instance, their forum name is their nation name. I pass them on the 7th day. Then they declare a different nation name than the one I checked. I'm screwed.

Let's trade places. How would you handle each of these scenarios?

Section 6.1: Citizenship Applications
2. Any resident may apply for citizenship using their regional forum account, by providing the name of their nation in The North Pacific, and swearing an oath as follows:
Code:
I pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.
3. A copy of the laws applicants are pledging to obey must be available to them at all times.
4. An application for citizenship ceases to be valid if at any time the applicant's declared nation in The North Pacific is not located in The North Pacific.
5. Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty. The Vice Delegate will have 7 days to perform a security evaluation and pass or fail the applicant. The Vice Delegate must consult the Security Council if there is reasonable concern as to whether an applicant should be admitted.

First and foremost my reading on the laws regarding applications is that it is not valid until they provide the name of their nation and swear the oath. From that understanding, the timer for the application process does not start until then.

As it stands, the Vice Delegate is able to pass an applicant for citizenship regardless of whether the SC has a standing recommendation to deny the individual citizenship. Should this be changed?

Do you have any plans to utilize cards beyond the existing programs to bolster our WAs and endocrossing?

Apologies for not answering this earlier, but this is something that I do not have much experience with. Currently, we are using cards as an incentive with nations participating in the WADP through WA Voting, the Card Lottery and winning monthly WADP Awards. Most aspects of the WADP are incentivized by cards now. We also have the Great Card Giveaway program started under Pallaith with the requirements of either being a Keeper or a member of the NPA.

This is something that I would gladly take additional ideas from the community on and listen to what they would like to see happen. From there I would work those individuals, the Security Council, and other key stakeholders to bring those ideas to fruition.

As it stands, the Vice Delegate is able to pass an applicant for citizenship regardless of whether the SC has a standing recommendation to deny the individual citizenship. Should this be changed?

As Vice Delegate, I will continue to consult with the Security Council regarding citizenship applications. If there is an application submitted by a nation who is on the standing recommendation to deny list, I will consult with the Council on this and gather advice on if this individual should continue to be denied or if the council no longer sees them as a threat to regional security. Individuals are placed on this list for their actions in the past and we will make careful and thoughtful considerations with that in mind.

Apologies for not answering this earlier, but this is something that I do not have much experience with. Currently, we are using cards as an incentive with nations participating in the WADP through WA Voting, the Card Lottery and winning monthly WADP Awards. Most aspects of the WADP are incentivized by cards now. We also have the Great Card Giveaway program started under Pallaith with the requirements of either being a Keeper or a member of the NPA.

This is something that I would gladly take additional ideas from the community on and listen to what they would like to see happen. From there I would work those individuals, the Security Council, and other key stakeholders to bring those ideas to fruition.

As Vice Delegate, I will continue to consult with the Security Council regarding citizenship applications. If there is an application submitted by a nation who is on the standing recommendation to deny list, I will consult with the Council on this and gather advice on if this individual should continue to be denied or if the council no longer sees them as a threat to regional security. Individuals are placed on this list for their actions in the past and we will make careful and thoughtful considerations with that in mind.
Would you ever ignore the Security Council's recommendation?

Thank you for your answers.

I will take into consideration the advice and recommendations of the Security Council when making a decision.
My apologies, I phrased my question poorly.

Is there ever a case, where you would go against, a modern, majority recommendation of the Security Council to fail an applicant for citizenship?

My apologies, I phrased my question poorly.

Is there ever a case, where you would go against, a modern, majority recommendation of the Security Council to fail an applicant for citizenship?

More than likely, unless there is substantial evidence contradicting the Security Council's recommendation, I would not go against the recommendation and move forward to fail the applicant. The applicant would still have the opportunity for citizenship pending a vote of the Regional Assembly to either uphold or overturn my decision.

Back