[Thel] The Boy Who Would Fight

Kartier - 1235 A.D.

The boy opened his eyes inside his small hut. The smell of the air from outside lingered inside the house. His village was really beautiful this time of year. Today was the day that the knights in their shining armour would be marching through the Kartierese villages. In the village square, children were gathered in a circle for the start of their day school. The boy rose to his feet in a pure look of exhaustion on his face. He had stayed up all night trying to make sure that his little sister's lunch was packed for school. He rose out of his small bed and went out the opening of the hut and on his way to the schoolhouse.

On the way to the schoolhouse, he heard the birds singing in the village. Dogs fought on the side of the road and kids were playing in the middle of the village. He saw numerous people on their way to schoolhouse as well, but he didn't say anything. When he had reached the schoolhouse, knights were patrolling the small building. The boy shook their hands and he went in. The knights wore their armour with pride, but the boy thought that it would be hot in it.

The knights were on their horses and they came to recruit students for the army. When everyone was in the classroom, the knight went to the front of the small room with wooden tables and spoke. "Hello Thither students. His majesty Hath called thy Hither to recruit for the army to fight the evil that Wilt come to our great and glorious land of Kartier. Thou need to write to the landlord and he Wilt send his majesty the letter. Next sunday is the twelfth of the month. Write at once or Thou may forget it," he said as he raised the flag up and left the building. Rolandus was intrigued already. He had always wanted to fight for his majesty, and now he was given the chance.

The teacher came to the front of the room. "Open Thy bibles to Isaiah 43:2, and we Wilt recite it before heading off to the church," he said. All of the students turned the pages. The boy envisioned himself in the knight's armour. He was intrigued about everything even though they were in the middle of a religious study. He thought about the tribes in the south and he started to think of plans of how to lead his army to combat. Then, the teacher brought him down to earth. "Get up from thy knees, we art headed to the Varenney Catholic Church," he said. Rolandus got up and had his Bible with him. "God Wilt lead me to victory," he said.

Kartier - 1235 A.D.

The teacher came to the front of the room. "Open Thy bibles to Isaiah 43:2, and we Wilt recite it before heading off to the church," he said. All of the students turned the pages. The boy envisioned himself in the knight's armour. He was intrigued about everything even though they were in the middle of a religious study. He thought about the tribes in the south and he started to think of plans of how to lead his army to combat. Then, the teacher brought him down to earth. "Get up from thy knees, we art headed to the Varenney Catholic Church," he said. Rolandus got up and had his Bible with him. "God Wilt lead me to victory," he said.

They walked miles to the church in the distance. The dark gray sky around the area made the mood darker than it could have been. Rolandus walked over with his classmates to the church. Nuns were at the gates, priests were waiting inside the chapel, and knights guarded the entrance unlike the rest of the churches in the nation. This was the king's land, so he decided to guard everything on it. When he walked in, he noticed a smell around the chapel that smelled like cows. He couldn't make out where it was coming from. The class took a seat and waited for the service to commence.

The priest walked into the building and immediately started by saying Mass. Rolandus keep his head into the service the whole time, but what he really wanted was to join the armed forces of Kartier and serve the king. The service went on for around an hour or so. They cut it short on the count that school was still in session. The class walked out of the church and went back to their room. The kids from many other parts of the country were playing knight in the square. “Did you hear about the tournament coming up?” one said. Rolandus was immediately interested. He picked up one of the flyers. “This couldst beest mine own big breaketh!” he smiled. He put it in the back of his pants and ran to keep up with the class.

Last edited:
Kartier - 1235 A.D.

The priest walked into the building and immediately started by saying Mass. Rolandus keep his head into the service the whole time, but what he really wanted was to join the armed forces of Kartier and serve the king. The service went on for around an hour or so. They cut it short on the count that school was still in session. The class walked out of the church and went back to their room. The kids from many other parts of the country were playing knights in the square. “Did you hear about the tournament coming up?” one said. Rolandus was immediately interested. He picked up one of the flyers. “This couldst beest mine own big breaketh!” he smiled. He put it in the back of his pants and ran to keep up with the class.

When class was dismissed, Rolandus immediately went out to the castle. Immediately, he walked up to the king and bowed. The king approved his request to speak. “Thy majesty, I wisheth to partake in the tournament of knights,” he said aloud. The king shook his head. “Son, I wanteth not thee to receiveth did hurt,” he said aloud. Rolandus wasn’t happy at the answer. Anger flared up in his, but he decided to retreat. The king haulted him. “Waiteth. Thee has't the heart of a lion. I needeth yond det'rmination in mine own army,” he said. “Son, i feareth yond gnomes art planning on taking ov'r. Shall thee beest a parteth of mine own army of knights?” Rolandus smiled a smile he hadn’t smiled in years. “T wouldst beest mine own hon'r.”

The next moment, he walked out of the castle in the army training grounds. The drills the knights were doing on horses wasn’t anything he hadn’t done before. The only difference was the shining armour on his back. He smiled. He had taken great pride in this. His horse and him went faster than anyone else and finished first. Then, a duel with a dummy came around. He won in .5 seconds and reported first to the commander. “Rolandus at thy s'rvice, sir!” he yelled.

Back