-
-
Pronouns
He/His/Him
TNP Nation
Prydania
Discord
lordgigaice
"Why are you so insistent on this Tobias? The Royal Guard is perfectly functional."

"It doesn't have any meaning to it, Axle!" Tobias replied as he paced his office as his chief of security sitting calmly in his chair.
"It has no history but the Knights of the Storm" he smiled. "They were legendary. Protecting Prydanian monarchs for hundreds of years."

"Yes, but they ended up fascist thugs for your uncle and Stephen Toft. They helped deliver this country into the hands of the Syndicalists."

Tobias shook his head as he sat down at his desk across from Axle.
"They were more than that though. Hundreds of years of history...of honour. We can't be scared of letting the bad outweigh the good."

"Why are you so insistent on this?" Axle asked again, his voice firmer. Tobias just sighed.

"We've lost a lot as the result of the civil war. We fight every day, building this country back up bit by bit. The Knights of the Storm are something we can...have to remind us of what we once were."

"That sounds like Queen Alycia" Axle asked more amused than anything.

"So what if it is?" Tobias replied defensively.
"She's not wrong about that!"

Axle looked down and then up.

"Toby, you know I love you, right?"

Tobias, a bit shocked, nodded.
"Yeah, yeah. Of course! What does that have anything to do with anything?"

"Because I need you to understand that when I say this. I've kept you safe for years...I'll do nearly anything for you. But I won't do this. I won't be Lord General of the Knights of the Storm. I will never take up that mantel. If you're serious about doing this? I will respect your choice. As my King, but also as someone I consider family and care for deeply. But I will not wear that insignia and I will not bare that title."

Tobias' eyes watered up a bit but he steeled himself.
"I...I...lost William you know."

"I know Tobias."

"I don't think an order of Knights is worth you too..."

Axle just smiled.
"Toby, I'm seventy-three years old. It wasn't even two years ago I drove a car into a house with a Goyanean sergeant to catch some Syndicalist insurgents by surprise. I still feel that one in my left knee."

"So you're..."

"Please, let me finish...I've been killing for King and country and running counter-intellegence before you were born. Knights or no Knights...I can't do this much longer. Whatever you decide...please don't make that decision with me in mind."

Tobias breathed deep and laid back in his chair.
"You know I'm grateful for everything you've ever done for me?" he asked with a smile.

"I know. And I'd do it all again in a heartbeat."

Tobias chuckled softly. His memories of the day Axle Skov saved him from this very palace as Syndicalists came to kill him...he was only seven but his memories of that day were burned into his brain.
"You know I'm not...going to do what my uncle did, right?"

"I know Tobias. But I have too much...history...with what the Knights of the Storm became."

Tobias stood, causing Axle to stand to meet him. Axle held out his hand to shake the King's, but Tobias hugged him tightly before letting go.
"You're always welcome in Absalonhöll."

"You're damn right I am" Skov chuckled.
"I know all the hidden ways in and out." He breathed a sigh of relief.
"You're going to do fine Tobias. I'm too old to be part of a new generation of leadership anyway. Do what you must."

"Be well Axle, and please. Call now and then."

"I'll do you one better. Dinner with beers every Thursday."

"Why Thursday?"

"Because if I'm retiring? I'm enjoying my bloody weekends for once in my life!"

"Take care Axle" Tobias replied with a chuckle, shaking his hand before the former ÖSU Agent and his bodyguard left the Royal office. He sat down once more, booting up his laptop. He began to write a Royal decree. Henceforth the Royal Guards would become the Knights of the Storm, Champions of the Prydanian Realm and protectors of the Crown.

Nobody Does it Better by Carly Simon, 2: 33

Last edited:
Laurids Hummel had never been inside of Absalonhöll, but it was fascinating. Restored white marble floors and columns glimmered. Restored statues of ancient Andrennian pagan deities and past Kings lined the hall. And yet despite that? The secondary hallway shooting off from where he was waiting was blocked off, repairs still ongoing to correct 15 years of Syndicalist vandalism.

"Captain Hummel, His Majesty will see you now."

"Of course" he replied to the steward, following him into the King's office. He wasn't sure what to expect. Or why he was here...his nerves tensed up as they got closer to the office doors. He wasn't even sure why he was here. Knights of the Storm, newly rechristened from the Royal Guard, just appeared on base requesting his presence. He was sure the King himself wouldn't be involved in any sort of disciplinary action, not that he could think of anything. Outside of that one night in Jórvík, but who knew about that?

"Captain Hummel, Your Majesty" the steward announced as the entered the Royal office.

"Thank you" Tobias replied, sitting at his desk with a stack of folders sitting on it.

"Your Majesty" the Captain replied with a slight bow. He'd seen the King on numerous occasions, even before he was King. Still, he was shocked how young he was, even now, being a few years younger than himself.

"Come on, sit" Tobias offered, gesturing towards a chair opposite his desk as the steward took his leave. Hummel nodded nervously before sitting. The King seemed in a pleasant mood, which was a relief. Though it got him no closer to figuring out what he wanted to speak with him about.

"Thank you, Your Majesty" he said, taking his seat. Tobias bit in the inside of his lip but just smiled with a nod. Being called "Your Majesty" was a weird sensation even still, but people seemed to want to call him that, so he took it with stride.

"I was looking through your service records Captain" the King began.
"You're a natural leader."

"Oh well...thank you, Your Majesty. I'm happy to hear you say that."

"Battle of Hadden during the Civil War, relief effort coordination. Anti-Syndicalist insurgency resistance. Your file stands out."

"My file, Your Majesty?"

The King nodded.
"I re-established the Knights of the Storm" Tobias replied.
"It was time."

Hummel nodded. "Yes Your Majesty, it caught a lot of us in the military off guard but...we're happy to see it...I mean them...back."

Tobias chuckled. "I'm glad someone is. Anyway Axle Skov? You know him right?"

"Who hasn't at this point, Your Majesty?"

The King continued to smile. "Much to his annoyance, actually. Still? He's guarded me for..." Tobias quickly did the math in his head.
"Seventeen years. But he's..." Tobias paused. He wasn't going to get into the specifics here.
"He's reached the age where he deserves to retire. He's done more than I could have ever asked...but that's why you're here Captain. I want to offer your the position of Lord General of the Knights of the Storm. And take over the duties as my head of personal security."

Laurids was floored, staring at the King wide eyed as he collected his thoughts. He'd suspected an appointment to the Knights of the Storm when the King brought it up but....to lead it? Never. Never in a million years.
"Your Majesty, surely there are others more qualified..."

Tobias just held up his hand.
"The Royal Guard was formed almost immediately after the war. From anti-Syndicalist insurgents just like you. It's only been a few years since, since they've actually began to morph into a true, well, royal guard. Now that they're the Knights of the Storm? They need a Lord General. You're not any less experienced than anyone else. And I want someone who...well...who's led soldiers like you have. Bravely."

"I don't know what to say Your Majesty" he began, already hating that he said that. Jesus. Talking to the fucking King and he couldn't even give a committal answer? Still? Tobias didn't seem too put off.

"Your file, like I said, jumped out at me. And Captain? I've grown up with soldiers my whole life. I know a real leader when I see one. You're one of them. You fought to protect your family and your men under your command. You're someone I want to help me rebuild this country. Because Lord knows enough people have helped set it on fire."

"Well..." Laurids said cautiously, "I think...I'd very much like to be your Lord General."

Tobias smiled wide.
"Thank you Captain, you have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. You'll be knighted in two days."

"Knighted? Oh well...Knights. It makes sense" he laughed to himself.

"Yes, and you'll remain a Knight even after you've retired. It's certainly earned."

"Your Majesty...one more thing. Past Lord Generals...they were something else."

Tobias nodded, eager to get to that.
"Royal Executors. They held the seal of the King and could speak on his behalf. And yes. I'm bringing that office back in full. As Lord General of the Knights of the Storm you'll be tasked with that responsibility."

"How will I know what I'm supposed to say on your behalf, Your Majesty?"

Tobias chuckled and shrugged.
"I don't know really. I'm sure it'll be easy to figure out when we get to know each other! But really...it's only something you'd have to do in select circumstances. And I figure I'll be talking to you before hand anyway. And if, God help us, you have to speak on my behalf and I cannot convey my wishes? I trust your character."

Laurids chuckled as well, feeling looser seeing the King relax as he did.
"Thank you, Your Majesty. It means a great deal to hear that."

"I'm glad, Captain."
Tobias stood, holding his hand out. Laurids was shocked at first but shook the King's hand.

"Thank you again, Your Majesty."

"And than you, for your continued service."

Hummel nodded, taking his leave after the handshake. He could barely belief this. He'd gotten his commission as an officer by pure necessity. The Civil War had left a lot of people dead, and he'd risen to the rank of Captain through the wills of fate during the conflict. Now...Lord General. A knighthood. He'd be a Peer for God's sake. He could hardly believe what he'd just been offered and what he'd agreed to.

"The car service will return you to base, Captain" the steward replied as he left the King's office.

"Thank you, thank you very much."

"And do not worry. The Palace will make arrangements for your transfer and knighting."

Hummel just nodded "yeah...that's great. Thank you again."

"Of course. Right this way Captain."

Laurids nodded, following. Lord General. Knight. Royal Executor. He wasn't sure what he'd do when he got back to base, pack or break the news. Probably the latter. He needed one more drink with the boys.

Back