Worldbuilder
-
TNP Nation
Goyanes
Discord
goya#6469
May 2019
Hofsvægr, Osanhalt, Goyanes

Ken Lorge was ready. The long-awaited summit between Goyanes, Andrenne, and the Ayovulkan Secessionists was finally here. He had to do the right thing, which had to be in the best interests of the Goyanean public, and also had to be in the best interest of the Government. He was the chief negotiator for a reason, tried and tested, and present at most every international treaty Goyanes has become party to. His blood, sweat, and tears, at this point, were practically interchangeable with the Foreign Ministry. He ruled that place with an iron fist, but that iron fist maintained Goyanes' influence on the world stage and abroad. But this summit would be his ultimate test.

He awoke that morning in his hotel room, having traveled from Gojannesstad last night on a bullet train. Now was the time he was waiting for. He sat down at the round conference table, ready to go. His entourage was seated around him, and there were equal numbers of seats allocated for each party at the summit. Now he waited for the rest to arrive.

[OOC: Andy and Sodium, take this as the opportunity to intro your characters so we can begin with the actual summit/conference.]

Sven Kalder did not want to be at this negotiation. He really, really didn't. But someone had to represent Andrenne's interest, and that someone had to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Andrenne couldn't just let Goyanes wrest control and any semblance of authority from them again. They had done it in the 5th Ardealul War, they had done it in the Dučrijeka War, they couldn't, and they wouldn't get away with it again. Andrenne needed to stand it's ground on this matter, even with a brother nation such as Goyanes. Of course he had to take into account the thoughts and feelings of the people of Ayovulka too but... In all honesty according to the government the desires and interests of Andrenne were the priority here above all. Sven's eyes were cold and harsh as he entered the room, almost angry in a way. There was only the noise of Kalder's dress shoes tapping on the linoleum for a moment, and then he took his seat opposite of the Goyanean delegate and set his briefcase on the table. His own entourage, which was speaking in hushed Andrennian, took their designated seats. Now they only awaited the third party member from the islands to the north. Sven adjusted his tie and glanced at Lorge. Though usually they were friends in the realm of foreign politics, for this conference they were opponents.

Last edited:
Aarik Bjornssun strode into the conference after the other two delegates, accompanied by a couple of aides. There was no apprehension or worry on his mind, he and the rest of his countrymen had been waiting for the moment they could actually confront the two nations that have long laid claim to their islands, in one way or another, and it was for all the better that this confrontation did not necessitate the drawing of blood. He had departed the chambers of the Pan-Gotic Union and flown directly to the summit, meeting with his entourage in the airport. He strode into the conference room, nodding at both the representatives with a neutral expression. Taking his seat, along with his entourage, he spoke, "I see that we are all here. Let us begin discussions."

Mr. Lorge nodded back at both the heads of delegations before speaking.

"Agreed. Let's begin." He signaled to his aide, who put a large map on a portable stand. The map displayed the various claims to the archipelago.

"As you can see, Goyanes claims this westernmost set of islands, and according to our current information, both the Ayovulkan secessionists and the Andrennians claim the entirety of the archipelago. Goyanes is in a flexible position, and we'd like to hear both sets of demands before I propose the Goyanean offer."

Kalder cleared his throat after Lorge was done speaking, then gesturing with his hands as he spoke himself.

"Mhm. Historically, Andrenne has claimed the entirety of the archipelago, yes. This claim has been in placed since the split of the United Kingdoms of Andrenne and Goyanes. While we are willing to make compromise, we also refuse to entirely abandon our claim. Now, the Andrennian proposition is one that we think, personally, is actually quite satisfactory. We recognize that Ayovulka has desired freedom for many years now. However neither Andrenne or Goyanes were entirely willing to just let them be independent."

He sighed, taking a sip of his incredibly lightly colored coffee. It seemed to be about 90% creamer, 10% actual coffee.

"Our proposition is to potentially make Ayovulka a free associated state with both Andrenne and Goyanes. They would be considered independent on the world stage but would both of the claimants would provide defense, funding grants, and access to social services of both Andrenne and Goyanes. Perhaps, if this is the idea we move forward with, Andrenne or Goyanes could even act on their behalf in foreign affairs with their advice and consent. In all other matters, including domestic affairs, Ayovulka would be independent unless otherwise requested by their government. Andrenne and Goyanes, if desired by all involved parties, could guarantee the sovereignty and independence of Ayovulka. That, gentlemen, is Andrenne's proposition."

Lorge smiled. "I like this Kalder guy," he thought to himself. Ken leaned over to his entourage, focusing in on his secretary. "Get me in a bar with this Kalder once the conference ends," he said in a low voice in Gojan. He also told his deputy ministers that he was OK with the agreements proposed.

"Mr. Kalder, I am in full agreement with the terms you laid out. I would like to hear what Mr. Bjornssun would have to say about this. Should he agree though, I would like to talk about the implications of this associated status in regards to the open border system currently in place between Goyanes and Gotmark."

Bjornssun raised his eyebrow, "As I understand it, this is a significant reversal of both of your state's historical opinions on the matter of Ajóvulkan independence. I think it could be argued that the last time a reversal of government policy came so apparently quickly, it was due to the end of the Fascist War" He paused, heartily chuckling.

Continuing, he stared directly at Kalder, "I'd be a fool to not accept your proposition, so long as you mean truly independent. While we Ajovulkans are best known for fiercely independent attitudes, we will not toss an olive branch away so readily. I would request two things before agreeing, however. First, that we be admitted to the Pan-Gotic union alongside your agreement to our sovereignty. As Goyanes and Andrenne remain within the Pan-Gotic Union, it would make sense that they guarantee that we receive a grandfather clause of sorts regarding admittance. Secondly, that the government of Ajóvulką is allowed to act on its own for foreign affairs. We wish to not have opinions of our people be colored by Andrenne or Goyanes."

Sven nodded and listened wholeheartedly to the bearded man speak. He chuckled himself when he was done.

"Yes I suppose it seems quite odd for Andrenne to be the one proposing this idea. You must understand, our new government coalition has much different ideas about Ayovulka then the Centrists or the Conservatives did."

He cleared his throat and got back to the more pressing topic at hand.

"We do mean truly and genuinely independent, other then reliance on Andrennian and Goyanean defense, social services, and funding which could be ended at any time Ayovulka wishes. The idea of Andrenne and Goyanes acting on Ayovulka's behalf was simply that, an idea. Andrenne has no qualms allowing Ayovulka to act on it's own. As for automatic admittance to the Pan-Gotic Union... That is a matter for the attendants of this conference and the Chancellor of the PGU to work out. Although I personally believe that this shouldn't be a problem. Now, if we are all in agreement that this is indeed the course of action we'll be taking, we should move onto the signing of documents and once Ayovulka is made an independent state, Mr. Lorge, then we can talk about the border situation."

Lorge looked at both the representatives.

"As Mr. Kalder said, the negotiation of a grandfather clause to the PGU is not entirely guaranteed, but what I can guarantee is that Goyanes will vote in Ayovulkan favor if it comes down to a vote on its admission. I can't guarantee that the other members of the Pan-Gotic Union, specifically what I consider to be foreign policy enemies, such as Maloria and Ilia, will support such a clause." He glanced at a document before continuing. "I would like to ensure that free and open trade remains after this proposition is agreed to."

"Mr. Lorge, I cannot guarantee my government will be receptive to free trade, as they will be looking for additional income sources, but I will request it. Other than that, it is settled. Let us move onto the creation of the document itself. Shall we contact the Pan-Gotic Union with my country's request for admittance as well?"

Lorge was slightly annoyed at the non-guarantee of free trade, but it was what it was.

"I agree, let's begin drafting the document. However, I do suggest that we hold on contacting the PGU until everything here is ratified."

Back