Languages of Eras

Ninhundland

TNPer
TNP Nation
Ninhundland
Discord
Folkmann #5587
Okay so I made a thread years ago and it was quite popular. I remember it was one of the first threads I made but it’s time for an update.

Language Name (Mercanti):
Language Name (Native):
Language Family:
Number of Speakers (Native):
Number of Speakers (Total):
Official in:
Minority in:

Description: Optional

Language Name (Mercanti): Ninhundish
Language Name (Native): Ninhündisch
Language Family: Gotic > South Gotic
Number of Speakers (Native): 85 million
Number of Speakers (Total): 140 million
Official in: Ninhundland, Demescia
Sizeable Minority in: Goyanes, Gotmark, Cojedes, Andrenne, Maloria

Description: For most of history the Gotic languages were spoken all across Gothis. The Gotic Language Family began split into closely related varients around 400 BCE into North (Nordic) and South (Seudisch) branches. All South Gotic Languages descend from Old Ninhundish which was spoken from the 2nd century up until the early 11st century in some places. During this time the language had expanded and reached new lands far away from its homeland (modern day Central/Southern Ninhundland and Eastern Goyanes). First it pushed north to the coast of the Naesser where North Gotic languages were still spoken. By the late 5th century, most Nordic dialects that were once spoken across the coast were now only found on the west (Goyanes) and east of the Dalva (Andrenne), with the exception of Gränze. During the 6th century medieval seafarers from the coast of Ninhundland set out to find new lands and trade. Many landed on the eastern shores of the Phoenix Strait in Cravitar. However Old Ninhundish developed separately and didn’t become Middle Ninhundish like in western Gothis. Late Old Ninhundish went through a sound shift in the 9th century where in some dialects were affected in a consonant shift while others weren’t. The distinction was even more notable in Middle Ninhundish where High Ninhundish dialects spoken in the south and east had a consonant shift and the Low Ninhundish dialects in the west and in a large part of the northern coast including the closely related language, Geldian, spoken in the province of Geldia was descended from Low Middle Ninhundish weren’t.

The Modern Standard Ninhundish Language is a mix of several dialects but is primarily based on the upper class dialect of 17th century Frankthorf with significant southern High Ninhundish influence. The spoken dialect of Frankthorf has changed over the past centuries with the colloquial speech no longer being the closest dialect although Standard Ninhundish had taken over most local dialects minus in a few regions. Ninhundland is also one of the official languages of Demescia, primarily spoken in the province of Nova Achen. Ninhundish is closest to other South Gotic languages of Aleman and Cimmerian which are mutual intelligible to a limitated degree.

I know I summarized all of South Gotic and have the early Gotic history but don’t worry about it.

Mod Note: Spoilered for Godmodding. You alone cannot set the history of what you do not control. North Gotic isn't yours. South Gotic isn't even yours alone. There's even the possibility of other branches. You cannot be the authority on the language. You need to collaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back