-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
El_Fiji_Grande
Discord
El Fiji Grande (#3446)
An Outsider’s Perspective on TNP Gameplay Neutrality

The NationStates Gameplay forum and its offshoot Discord server are in many ways the nucleus of the gameplay world; they are the places where players of diverse backgrounds come together, build relationships both personal and professional, and trade gossip about our small world’s goings-on. Players and regions are able to generate publicity for themselves, both good and bad, through regular updates in a standing NSGP Embassy. Young regions use these threads as a recruitment tool, but they also receive feedback from the community on how to improve. The easiest way for an up-and-coming region to make a name for itself in the world is through a well-crafted NSGP post to generate buzz.

Despite the occasional good that comes from our communal watering hole, NS Gameplay is known for its divisiveness. While each region can choose who can and cannot be a member, NSGP is wide open to all players in good standing in-game. Malcontents can conceal the source of their criticism with anonymous puppets which, while frowned upon, remain an effective method to lob bombs while protecting one’s reputation. Even the most mundane of regional announcements on the forum can become subject to nit-picking. Certain regions even become the perpetual targets of specific players, disincentivizing their participation on any level.

For established regions, including large User-Created Regions and the Game-Created Regions, free publicity is less important than it is for younger regions. Nonetheless, in a political simulator like NationStates, the power players still like to throw their weight around occasionally to accomplish something specific or simply to demonstrate relevance. This is an easier feat for regions that are ideologically cohesive where internal constituencies are likely to stand behind any public statement. And it is easier still for regions in which governing power is highly concentrated in one player and thus such statements do not need to be screened by many others for approval. Leaders of such regions have much more leeway to engage in NSGP without fearing backlash from other regional stakeholders, and can generally do so freely. Yet, for those large regions with ideologically diverse constituencies, the benefits of NSGP engagement are nebulous at best.

The North Pacific - the largest region in NationStates and one of the game’s most robust political systems - has maintained a policy of limited engagement with NSGP for quite some time. During Siwale’s most recent two-term stint as Delegate of The North Pacific, the TNP NSGP Embassy remained relatively quiet, with a few editions of The Northern Lights and a statement on St Abbaddon being the only prominent government releases. Siwale had this to say on his NSGP posting philosophy:

"My philosophy was centered around speaking up when my region had something meaningful to say. There is always a lot of noise in NSGP, which is easy to get consumed by. A strong leader on the foreign affairs front is one who is able to sort through the plethora of NSGP chatter and only involve themselves in issues which impact their region or allied regions directly, threaten their region's ideologies, or inflict harm on the greater NS community. Before engaging, leaders should ask themselves: "How does my involvement benefit my region, my allies, and/or the greater NS community?" If they are unable to properly address this question, it is often best not to engage."

Siwale’s philosophy is encompassed in his statement on the pile-off in St Abbaddon. Measured and limited in scope, the statement outlines clear reasons for The North Pacific’s involvement without committing it to any long-term engagement with the New Pacific Order, which occupied St Abbaddon at that time. This statement stands alone as the only official release from Siwale as delegate, demonstrating his commitment to Teddy Roosevelt’s “speak softly and carry a big stick”-style philosophy. The North Pacific arguably wields more foreign affairs clout than any other region in the game today, so there’s something to be said for using it wisely rather than squandering it on the wrong opportunity.

But is TNP missing opportunities by remaining tight-lipped? As the world’s largest region, no one can compete with TNP in stature or prestige. Shouldn’t TNP use its power to shape world events and promote its own ideology and vision for NationStates? One could certainly argue that TNP could have been more proactive on many occasions but instead chose to stay silent. Recently elected TNP Delegate, Pallaith (aka Ghost), explained his own philosophy on utilizing NSGP, and seems to prefer a more proactive approach:

"I ran for Delegate again with an eye toward greater engagement with gameplay. Last time I was Delegate I was more deliberate and tended to stay neutral on the big events of the day since they didn’t touch on TNP directly. But even then I wanted TNP to be a leader and innovate and that just isn’t possible when you keep to yourself and don’t interact with the rest of the game. We have a large footprint in this game but we walk around on tiptoes. Like any other region we have causes and convictions we believe in, and an opinion.

Gameplay can be rough. But it’s something that cannot be ignored. We can have meaningful discussions and participation in gameplay without being dragged into black holes of negativity or getting lost in the weeds of dramatics. That’s the kind of involvement I want to have. If we have something constructive or useful to say, if we can lend our support to worthy causes, if we can speak to our values and vision of a better game and community, then we ought to speak. And we shouldn’t shy away from just socializing and being part of the community that we’re in as NS players."

Though Pallaith’s new government has yet to make a splash in the NSGP forum, he is a familiar figure for most Gameplayers and participates in the NSGP server regularly. A more robust TNP presence would certainly be welcomed by admirers such as myself, but it would not be without its drawbacks. TNP remaining above the fray also means it has generally been free from ridicule. Though the admin team took some heat for the 2017 NS World Fair debacle, the in-character government has generally remained above reproach in the minds of most players, even those who otherwise disagree with TNP’s ideological position in-game. Actively meddling in events not directly related to TNP could bring about significant public backlash beyond that which TNP has known in recent years. NSGP is a famed double-edged sword: reap its benefits, but be mindful of the pitfalls.

The North Pacific continues to thrive without speaking out in NationStates Gameplay, but an ambitious leader could find new opportunities to shape world events beyond TNP’s backyard by taking some risks. With influence unparalleled in the game today, TNP has a powerful voice when wielded wisely. Speak too softly and no one hears, but speak too often and no one listens. Delegates current and future must work hard to find the right balance between restraint and oversaturation. The world is watching.

Last edited:
Back