Wonderess

"I will be true to you whatever comes."
-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
An Invitation of Goodwill on Behalf of the Sutherland Federation and the Eras Society of Honorable Nations Office of the Chancellor
To the people, representatives, and crown of The Principality of Sil Dorsett,

It is with great respect and honor that we the Nation of Sutherland through the Arc-Wonderess Nathan Jarreau and the Eras Society of Honorable Nations through the Society's Chancellor Tanya Burding write to you. This society strives to uphold the value of justice, truth, kindness, and honesty in all of its deliberations and its interactions in this world that we all share. It is in this understanding that the society wishes to extend an invitation to The Principality of Sil Dorsett to apply for observer status and furthermore membership in this society. We believe that by expanding the Society, we are better able to deliberate and come to find solutions to conflicts that are fair and correct in judgement. The presence and influence of Sil Dorsett both on the continent of Craviter and across the world is undeniable which is why we considered your nation at the forefront of many to be firstly considered.

To show the seriousness of both Sutherland and the Society's dedication to Sil Dorsett's possible future within it, both Wonderess Jarreau and Chancellor Burding wish to visit your nation in order to further explore this possibility. It is our hope that a date may be scheduled before the end of this waning year. We ask that you consider allowing us the privilege of visiting Sil Dorsett for this so to speak "quest for the honorable" for we long to bring those upstanding nations that desire the good of the world and the search for peace into our Society in order to enrich it with their own insights, history, and point of view. We eagerly await a response and hope that all is well with your nation and people.

In faith,

Arc-Wonderess of the Sutherland Federation

Chancellor of the Eras Society of Honorable Nations

Last edited:
December 26th

Two weeks after the birth of his fourth child, Will was already back to work. Respecting his wife's maternity leave, he worked directly with Isaac, the acting prime minister, with confidence that they would together respect Madeline's agenda. He wouldn't tell Madeline anything unless she asked; Isaac was the one in charge and the one with the need to know, for now. However, a few weeks following his return, that full faith came into question when Will received Nathan Jarreau's letter, the second correspondence from the Sutherland Federation.

Diplomatic matters were already tense between Sil Dorsett and Sutherland after Princess Claidie struck down the embassy request from the first note. The fact that Isaac Castellan was effectively prime minister complicated things even more. Isaac was proving to be more of a supporter of Claidie's agenda more than that of Madeline's. With no real expectation of acceptance, Will brought the letter to the acting prime minister, who sided with Claidie as Will expected and dismissed the proposition, referring to Sutherland as "not real" and binning the letter. There was nothing more Will could do for now, and so the matter was considered closed.

* * *​
January 14th

Madeline returned to her office a little over ten weeks after she delivered. Everything was pristine and in order, exactly the way she left it. Isaac hadn't been using Madeline's office, instead opting to use his own Speaker's office to carry out business. Since her office was left alone, all the mail she received piled up and was left unanswered. It wasn't much of an issue since most knew to send to the government as a whole and things would be inspected, copied, distributed and handled, but Madeline reviewed the mail anyway as part of her catching up. While looking through, she saw Nathan's letter and was intrigued by the fact that she hadn't heard anything about what happened with it. A visit to her husband was in order.

"Will, hey, quick question. This letter from Sutherland, what happened with it?" she asked as she walked into his office.

"It was binned. Claidie and Isaac didn't want to acknowledge it."

Madeline was furious; yet another case of Claidie bucking the nation's diplomatic precedent, but also that her husband kept it from her. Though she was off work, she felt that something should have been said. She hated being in the dark. She even doubted her own request to just leave everything with Isaac, and this proved to be reassurance of her doubt.

"And you didn't do anything about it? You didn't think you should tell me about it?" Madeline said in a raised voice, trying to intimidate Will into fixing whatever it was that Madeline saw as the problem.

Will, on the other hand, was frustrated with his wife's aggressiveness. She wanted to be in the dark, he thought, to focus solely on their new child. "Hey, I was doing what you told me. You wanted to use your leave for Melissa, so I left it alone. Figured we'd just deal with it when you came back. Now we can, or at least try."

"Why not sooner when it was important?" Madeline asked.

"It was dead on arrival anyways. You know Isaac was going to back whatever Claidie wanted to do," Will explained. "But, we now have this..." Will held up a copy of the Lake Prime Declaration, the document that solidified Sutherland's independence. Recognized by several highly influential nations, it wasn't a trivial matter for Claidie to ignore, and Will believed it was only a matter of time before she capitulated. "Let's have a word with our more senior Princess. She's holding court right now. I'm sure she won't mind the interruption."

* * *​

An old tradition in the Principality was for the prince or princess to hear small claims from citizens having a dispute. Being archaic in nature didn't stop many people from wanting to skip the courts and asking for more sovereign intervention. The presence of two co-equal princesses also helped the princely family carry on with its more social duties while also handling these small claims cases during the day. Alice typically dealt with the meet-and-greets and ribbon-cuttings while Claidie volunteered to handle arbitration.

Claidie had finished her last scheduled case of the day when the Prime Minister and the Foreign Affairs Minister entered the Chamber of Rule. "Miss Ellison, Mister Bowers, step forward," she called out. "I hope this isn't some sort of marital dispute; I really don't want to get into the personal business of government officials, especially the two of you."

The pair smiled and laughed as they assuaged Claidie's fears. "No, Claidie, We're fine," Madeline said. "I wanted to address something that happened while I was out, this letter from the Sutherland Federation." Madeline held up her copy of Nathan's letter, which hadn't been disturbed.

"Oh, that," Claidie said, dejected by the fact that the document still existed. "Yeah. We didn't recognize Sutherland at the time, so I didn't really care for it."

"At the time?" Madeline asked, confused. "So, you know about the Lake Prime Declaration?"

"Yeah, I saw it."

"And?" Madeline asked, expecting some sort of real action from the monarch.

"Alright, so I saw Goyanes and Syrixia acknowledged it. I can't ignore that. In the big scheme of things, it's probably better to at least... talk with them and not ignore them. I'm not saying anything official regarding that declaration, but, if they want to talk with me about their little society, fine. I'll talk to them. Will, write up a response and put something on my calendar. Working session, block off a full day in the cabinet conference room. That should be all I need to deal with this."

"Yes, ma'am," Will acknowledged. The couple gave a traditional bow before leaving the presence of royalty to draft the letter to Nathan.

VdTOaZJ.png
To Arc-Wonderess Nathan Jarreau and ESHN Chancellor Tanya Burding, Greetings,

While we regret not being able to schedule such an event at the end of last year as requested, we do acknowledge the offer to meet with us about the ESHN. We would be willing to schedule a meeting towards the end of January or early February between officials of the Sutherland government, the ESHN, and upper-level members of the Sil Dorsettian government. Please indicate a preferred and alternate date for this meeting occur, and we will ensure that the schedules of the appropriate officials are shifted to accommodate the meeting.

Sincerely,

William Bowers
Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Principality of Sil Dorsett

4-02-2019
The timetable was delayed due to The Lake Prime Declaration and the Arc-Wonderess's need to remain in Sutherland to see its full implementation abroad. Finally Jarreau and Burding were in Norvalle to discuss Sil Dorsett's possible future with ESHN. Nathan was apprehensive. From his observing and studying of Sil Dorsettian policies it was worlds apart from Sutherland. There seemed to be an air of economic success and large banks that dominated the city in contrast to the modest farmers' markets of Diamond and Bereda back home. It was so fast paced and everyone seemed to be in a hurry. The question remained. What did honor mean to Sil Dorsett, and how would the government reflect that understanding on the world stage?

"I don't know what to expect, Your Wonder." Tanya Burding sat across from Nathan in the sedan heading through the city streets. "There are so many motives, angles, interests, and values that are still unknown to us. If ESHN is to be a viable option for Sil Dorsett, we will need to down play the Sutherland aspects of it. I know that betrays our homeland but is it not worth it to bring in a nation that can help the world be more just and fair?"

"Tanya, I will try my best, but the mission at the heart of ESHN is the same mission that is at the heart of Sutherland's. I will not forsake our nation just to please a few foreigners. They can learn the value of Sutherland and ESHN without use of pandering. We stand for the ideals of peace and integrity and so let us see if Sil Dorsett values the same things. Today is the day we ask this nation to answer this question. Today we figure out if the leaders in this city are noble or content only with personal gain and enterprise."

The princess's desk was cluttered with stacks of books and papers. She was in the middle of rearranging her files, spending time doing actual work to make future work easier for her. A few years into her reign, she was starting to take things more seriously. Everyone around her noticed it, but never said a word, as if they didn't want to jinx it.

Clearly visible on the desk was the copy of the Lírae her sister brought back from Samhain months ago. She stared at it for a while, and thinking out loud she said to herself "Why am I bothering with this? They won't like me." She had left the Courantist Church long ago and was only recently rediscovering her spirituality in another way. She placed her hand on her Lírae and smiled a little.

The phone rang, and a receptionist from the first floor of the government office building informed her of Jarreau and Harding's arrival. She instructed the receptionist to hold the foreign delegation for a few minutes while she made her way to the conference room where Alice and Madeline were already waiting. Once she was there she paged the receptionist back.

"Send them in," Claidie said, and the meeting would begin.

Last edited:
Cold: that was the one word Nathan could think of to describe the conference, and he was not referring to the temperature. He sensed a tension in the room. It seemed some of the people in the room did not want to be there. The only member of the Sil Dorsett delegation that was smiling was the youngest of the three which the Arc-Wonderess took to be Princess Alice. Despite the general lack of warmth, Nathan decided he was going to provide it himself.

"Your Royal Highness, on behalf of ESHN and the Sutherland Federation we are humbled by your decision to meet with us. We do not take such an invitation lightly. Your charity is truly . . . heartwarming."

Tanya smiled next to the Arc-Wonderess and reached her hand out to shake Madeline's hand. "It is a pleasure to meet with you. Back in Lake Prime we always take new beginnings as an opportunity to make something good of any situation. You can call it a can do spirit, and I feel that here in Sil Dorsett a little of Lake Prime is here with me, because there are some great things that can come from this."

Nathan looked to Tanya, "Well said, Chancellor. There is much to be gained here for all of us. If we are to start I would like to know as the leaders of a nation, what is Sil Dorsett to you? What makes this jewel of Craviter special?"

Claidie seemed confused and unsure of herself when Nathan asked his question. She expected the conversation to be straight to the point, not held up by thought-provoking questions. She had this deer-in-headlights look upon her, frozen in time. Thankfully for the Dorsettians, Alice picked up on her older sister's struggle and was able to cover for her.

"Simply put, this is our home," Alice declared. "This is the land that nurtures us, and we all care for it and one another."

"Obviously, we're a small nation, only a couple million in size," Madeline added, "and while we all don't know everyone's name, there's still that sense of camaraderie with each other that is embedded in our hearts. The survivalist programs in high school and militia programs beyond help with this. We can all depend on each other."

"And we all trust one another... but perhaps not so much the world around us, as I've learned over the past couple years." Claidie said, finishing Madeline's thought and reflecting on her own experiences. "But, what I really want to know is how you see us, Arc-Wonderess, and what about it brings you here today..."

Last edited:
The Arc-Wonderess was amused by Claidie's response. She reminded him of many people he had met around the world. They are strong and have a confident presence, but when you dig deeper you find that is not always the same case internally.

"I assure you that we are here as friends, Your Royal Highness. We see Sil Dorsett as a leader here in Craviter. Despite its size as you mentioned it is prosperous and quite diplomatically astute. The Eras Society of Honorable Nations would like to extend an invitation to the Principality. However this is not by any means about mere political advantage or signing a couple of papers or agreements. This is about integrity and honor. ESHN is about authentic bonds between nations and their representatives. We favor the right and correct over the simply beneficial which informs any official opinion of ESHN. Such a conversation here shows if we are indeed on the same fundamental page or not. There is always something deeper and central to these sorts of conversations wouldn't you say?"

Tanya added to his words, visibly content with his approach. "We are curious to know what integrity means to the everyday Silean and if that is reflected in the nation's leaders such as yourselves?"

"That's twice now," Claidie thought to herself. "That's twice they've asked philosophical questions I don't have answers for."

Madeline, being the only elected Sil Dorsettian leader in the room, was quick to jump on the question, predicting how Claidie and Alice might struggle given their rise to power was by inheritance and appointment, respectively. Having to win the votes of the public, she needed to know the people better than the princesses, and managing to do so at such a young age for a Prime Minister left her with a bit of an advantage.

"Miss Harding, if I may," Madeline interjected, "We are a very diverse people traveling many paths in life, so much so that I would say it's near impossible for the three of us, even as government officials, to really reflect a single set of values that encompasses even most if not all of the Silien people.

"If you look out in the harbor, you'll notice the megayachts. Some earned them through hard and fair work, some through exploitation of their hired laborers, and some never worked a day in their lives and inherited it all. We can't speak for all three classes of megayacht owners. Each class has their own set of values, and they often conflict with each other.

"Or, look at the militias prominent in the suburbs and rural areas. Their very existence conflicts with the posh lifestyle of the eastern urban areas, especially here in the harbor district. And, even they are fragmented. There are those who dedicate themselves to serving their country and serving others, and then you have others that are just afraid of the day the emperor that neighbors us decides his mandate from God to rule extends to us.

"The affluent, the selfless, and the ordinary. We do what we can for all of them, but can we really call them all bastions of integrity? No, but we can try to nudge them in that direction, and I think we at least try.

"I will say this though, having been Prime Minister for three years and seeing this first hand, the Silien people do not like foreigners telling them what's best for them. If you tried telling them what integrity really is, they won't listen. We're talking about people so incensed over a collective defense agreement that they left us with little choice but to abandon an alliance and ensure that other organizations would think twice about admitting us. I'm actually surprised you're even talking to us right now."

Claidie was able to conjure up some thoughts of her own off the back of her Prime Minister's monologue and her experiences as well.

"Yeah, what you said about us being 'diplomatically astute'? For the short term, that's gone, to be honest," Claidie said. "In the long-term, though, I think it'll force us to build relationships individually rather than try to win the good graces of a collective. Keep our true allies closer and our adversaries further away.

"That being said, where do you really see us?" Claidie asked.

As Claidie asked the question Nathan neither paused nor blinked.

"I see a nation despite its relatively small size culturally divided. Progress is both good and important, but is it honest to say that everyone in Sil Dorsett is able to benefit. This is not a problem foreign to me. Every electoral decision I have put before Sutherland has shown the urban/rural divide is alive and well. It is not a cultural difference that is easy to overcome. I don't know about you, but I desire unity and wholeness for Sutherland. Of course there will be differences and disagreements, but how can we ever let those come before the united state of our nations? What is it I then suggest to men these dangerous divisions? I suggest finding a greater good that transcends them all together. You see the Eras Society of Honorable Nations is an experiment to be sure, but it is one that has a great purpose. It wishes to make the world a better place by promoting international dialogue on the issues that affect all of us here. Community is often the great solution to the problems that face us as individuals, and this goes for nations as well."

Tonya spoke up as well. "Sil Dorsett is a respected nation regardless. Sutherland sees no ill will towards your nation in any way which is why we think it would fit in perfectly in ESHN. Our nations are very different culturally, but we still have some problems that we share in such as unity. Surely it is worth consideration."

Nathan got up from the table and went to the window looking out towards the coast. "Surely this is something worth consideration. Sil Dorsett would make even more of a difference in the world, and all of our people would be stronger for it."

Back