Augustine Institute for Catholic Studies

Discussion in 'Humanities Division' started by Wonderess, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Wonderess

Wonderess A lowly member of the faithful - -

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    [​IMG]
    Augustine Institute for Catholic Studies
    Greetings to you seekers of knowledge! I am very excited to welcome you to this institute for the study of the Catholic faith. Overtime, I hope to more perfectly describe and define Catholic ideals and show to you just how wondrous and beautiful the Church really is.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph pray for us!​

2. Highton

Highton Better than Syrixia - -

TNP Nation:
    Highton Islands
    Discord:
    Highton#5752
    I hope that I am able to work with you in this project while also asking some questions myself.

3. Sanjurika

Sanjurika Koala Fanatic - -

TNP Nation:
    Sanjurika
    Discord:
    Koala#3392
    I've never had much contact or interaction with religion so maybe this will provide some insight. :)
    Religion has always seemed fairly confusing.

4. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    Catechism: Lesson One

The Catechism of the Catholic Church begins by acknowledging what it is that is the center of human connection to God which is faith. Faith is unique in that it is a trusting acceptance of basic tenets. Faith is a trusting in things not seen in the hope and trust that those things are. It is how the human person responds to the call of God who makes himself known in the human person and in the living of life.

Next, the Church acknowledges that humanity has a natural desire for God as seen through religious practices throughout history. It is understood that acting or living against this notion hinders the ability for the human person to be fulfilled. This is further made an issue by the practices and thought of the world that causes religion to be seen as unimportant or
    unnecessary. However, even when God is rejected by the person, this does not cease the call of man from God to find Him and seek Him for while man changes, God in His perfection never does. It is also made clear that the practice of religious seeking must be accompanied by the reason or else it boils down to unguided superstition. The "intellect," "will," and "upright heart" are all necessary aspects of the person for correct faith. Also, faith is lived in community as there is a requirement of others to help orient the person towards what is of God. The uniting of wills to seek what is True and holy yields further fruits than the pursuit of the individual which is one aspect that the Church in her holy beauty provides.

This concludes lesson one so feel free to pose questions on this subject matter below.

5. The Republic of INTEGRAL

The Republic of INTEGRAL TNPer -

I love this! Wonderess, you can be a Theology professor :D

6. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    Thanks, maybe one day. :)

7. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    Here the Church addresses the way by which God can come to be known from the experience of life. St. Thomas Aquinas' proofs for God are referenced which deal with the extrapolation of God's existence from contingency or the ordered state of nature. Next beauty is discussed as the human ability to perceive beauty and the beauty residing in natural things points to a creator who is the origin and center of the beautiful itself.

Then comes the determination of God through the human person. God is seen as in some way reflected but not the same as human creation. This is evident in the ability to discern what is morally good, the ability to grasp the idea of the infinite, the search for ultimate happiness, and the coming to see the person as not just physical but also spiritual with the presence of the eternal soul. However, none of these things have their origin in the human person but come forth from the ultimate and the prime origin which is God. All of this is good and right in coming to know that God is, but it does not tell us who He is or anything about His person. This requires the person to accept God's revelation throughout salvation history which is found in faith. It is faith and reason together that provide a fullness of understanding God for who He is and what it is He has created and done. They form a union in the person and rely on one another for the fullness of understanding.

As always, comments and questions are happily accepted.

8. Ka Ching

Ka Ching Proud TNPer -

reminds me of my c.l.e class. :) Good work

9. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    In this section we see an extended discussion of knowing God according to reason but also those limitations of knowing the Divine by "reason alone."

36. The Church has continually held that the very existence of God can be validated through reason by examining the existence and order of nature and furthermore coming to understand the mystical and greater role of an origin of it all. Furthermore, reason is also necessary for the coming to know what is true in Divine Revelation itself. This is the role of theology in the Church which uses reason in order to illumine and see clearly the truth in God's word and action.

37. A distinction is made between rational knowledge and interpersonal understanding. Just as one can look up their favorite musician and read their quotes or listen to the music that they write, one cannot truly know who the musician is until they meet them face to face and interact with them. So too is it with any great experience of person. A sunrise can be photographed, described, or explained and yet all fails to transmit the experience until the human eye experiences it on its own. So too must one come to be acquainted with God in order to fully come to know what is true by the path of faith and the holy. This requires reason as well so that truth may always be revealed rather than an endless grasping at the superstitious and emotional.

38. Hinted at here is the complimentary nature of faith and reason. Moral truth that can be obtained through reason is further illumined ad understood in context of the whole of creation and reality through the light and foundation of faith. This union allows the person to not only rationally know what is good but come to understand and fully live what is good as a potential beholder of what is true and just.

As always questions on any content covered so far are highly encouraged.

10. Janus

Janus Eh? -

This was the sticking point for me. I have, or rather had, too much pride for this. I am, slowly, getting over this and, in time, hope to get beyond it and acquire true faith. I still have pride, but it's not necessarily what it was. I think that that tis may be true of others here as well.

While I believe the above to be true I know that, in some cases, including my own, that I disbelieved because I felt that the literal existence of God was too good to be true. A fairy tale.

11. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    The fact that you are able to see the hindrance of your own pride is worth applauding as most cannot even see how high they place themselves even over the realities of life. God is considered an "imaginary friend" because they equate Him to an idea. What sets Him apart is His quality which is different from ideas. I find the contemplation and interaction with Him to be qualatatively different from other notions or ideas that I have. Faith of course is the tool by which this discernment is possible for it requires a level of trust in order to discern these more nuanced things of reality and of the person.

12. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    39. Reason stands as the tool by which the objective discussion of God and things of Him can be discussed across faith traditions and various beliefs about eternal reality.

40. It is very difficult to talk about the infinite when the human language is in itself limited and categorical in nature. However, this does not mean that we stop seeking truth despite limitation for more perfect knowledge of who God is can still be obtained through the sharing of ideas.

41. We study the nature of humanity and the reflected characteristics of God in humanity as a means of coming to know the Lord more perfectly. Just as a art historian may look at Van Gogh's paintings to better understand the man himself, so too is nature and the order of reality explored in order to better understand the Creator Himself.

42. This passage reemphasizes the fact that human language never fully presents what is true of God. To say God loves us is true, but these words are not strong enough to describe the reality of God's infinite love of us that is beyond all human comprehension and understanding of love absolute.

43. By our language we can still build an understanding of God that we humans are capable of even though the fullness of meaning is not realized. It is easier to say what God is not than to paint a full positive picture of what He is. Despite these things, an understanding can be developed through thought, time, patience, and the passion for knowing who God truly is and what that means for us in our daily lives.

13. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    We now move to the understanding of Divine Revelation. This is often an aspect of theology that is problematic to the secular minded because of the abuse and misinterpretation of scripture within certain movements of the Christian religion. It is understood that God in His love provides truth to the human race so that we have the ability to come to know Him. This is encapsulated both in the Bible and the tradition of the living Church. The dialogue never ends nor the ability to further discern the truths and impacts of salvation history on humanity. For us to call out to God there must have been first an invitation and so through the merciful love of God this first call began with the first man and was further formalized through the covenants from Abraham down to the sacrifice of the cross. This revelation is separate from the empirical and rational though these things a posteriori are used to make sense of what has been conveyed. The theological pursuit in part is the science that makes sense of revelation and its application to human living. It is a mandate to first listen to God and then after respond.

14. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    We now begin the journey through salvation history which focuses on the actions of God for the sake of lifting up his human people. Through the promise to Noah, Abraham, and then Moses and the people of Israel, God guides his people to himself in union and faithfulness to what is good. There is difficulty in this pursuit because the free will of man allows the choice that is not God's. There makes itself apparent in the struggle and forgetting of each covenant throughout the eras of Israel. However, each promise and covenant moves God and Israel one step closer to final salvation and victory. The plan is gradual and it is not just an act of God on man. Rather God includes man in His plan for humanity. This is the role of the patriarchs, the kings of Israel, the prophets, and of course we the modern people of the Church.

By seeing the history of how we came to be where we are now, we better understand our own place and purpose in the whole of the narrative. God in His infinite nature connects us to the past as well as the future. We are all connected as His creation and so we look to those before us for guidance and revelation of what is true and just.

15. Wonderess

TNP Nation:
    Castle Federation
    Discord:
    Wonderess #6213
    Accidental double post

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019