On the NPA's Recruitment Efforts [FINISHED 05/12/2018]

Malphe

You dirty rat, you killed my brother!
TNP Nation
Malphe
Discord
Malphe#9949
The North Pacific Army (NPA) is one of the largest and most active militaries in the game; it’s not the biggest or the most overall skilled but it’s certainly no slack. It regularly pulls eight people on update for even minor operations and consists of dedicated TNPers who have often been serving for years until the NPA and have collective expertise and experience of way over a hundred individual operations and maybe over a thousand targeted regions.

For piles it most recently in St Abaddon deployed nineteen soldiers within only a few hours, and on the same day as this is being written it participated in a tag raid with Osiris and The Black Hawks (TBH) where it hit 83 targets and counted as many as the soldiers provided by Osiris and TBH put together. Historically it has been instrumental in many great operations including Nazi Europe in 2014 and is still a regular combatant of fascist forces in NS.

Much of the influence of the NPA can be attributed to now General and Security Councillor Gladio, as well as longtime members including Generals Quietdad and Zazumo and current Minister of Defense Loz. Despite the great power of the NPA I (Malphe) feel, and have felt for some time, that it has room for improvement in one particular area; recruitment.

Of course, when you open the forums and go onto the docks you will see the military applications thread just by the citizenship applications and the executive staff applications, and Home Affairs has conducted recruitment drives for the NPA in the past but there is another, albeit maybe less professional way we could approach the issue. I’ll use the recent battle in St Abbaddon as an example for this argument.

The Pacific, and potentially other involved regions that may have used a similar tactic that my puppets didn’t catch, sent a regional telegram encouraging members of the region to take up arms and pile in Abaddon without explicitly needing to be a member of their military, the Legio. This is essentially the NS equivalent of rousing and gathering a militia to bolster the professional forces, and doubtless contributed to the gargantuan amounts of soldiers the NPO deployed (approximately, or upwards of one hundred) and if they hadn’t sent out that telegram it may very well have cost them many potential soldiers.

I know the prospect may generate some debate, and I am by no means implying that we take action as radical as that, but I feel like bringing the NPA into the open and gameside may be a wise course of action. The NPA as a whole is a little under wraps, to the average player gameside it’s an enigmatic organization with mentions buried in the forums and under dispatches. I’m sure a lot of casual issues players have no idea what the NPA is, whereas they’d know other TNP government organizations due to gameside presence.

I do claim some responsibility for the gameside decline of the NPA’s presence, during my term in early 2018 I neglected the previous practice of sending telegrams to NPA members nations for ongoing operations- this cost us perhaps over a dozen pilers by my estimation. Whilst the regular officers and updaters who often lead operations will stick with the NPA over rocky ground and periods of inactivity the more casual players who aren’t on discord (or aren’t active there) will lose interest if there is a considerable lapse in operations they can interact with, and if they are not notified properly there will be the same effect. The record deployments of upwards of 35 have been achieved through the recruitment of pilers gameside.

If you wanted to see the greatest example of recruitment to a military and the benefits it can bring then you should again look to the NPO’s Legio. Say what you will about the leadership or what they operate for but they’re numerous times larger in active soldier count than the NPA, achieved through rigorous and dedicated recruitment efforts. In this case not just gameside sources but sources separate from NS entirely, from the P&W and CN branches of the NPO. This is what won them the clout to throw around upwards of one hundred pilers and I believe that if we take no other example from the Pacific’s governance it should be the way they have recruited for their military.

So what does this mean? This means sending out gameside alerts for ongoing operations, this means going out of our way to recruit new members on mass, this means running the extra mile and putting all of High Command to work on expanding the NPA and potentially reorganizing it to better suit the modern landscape of R/D and the NPA and perhaps adopting the method of enlisting non-NPAers to crucial NPA operations through a WFE slot and regional telegrams.

But the NPA, out of all the GCR militaries, is still in a good shape already. Whereas the SPSF is tiny and is attempting to get off the ground again and the EPSA only managed to pull as many pilers as they did for St Abbaddon due to extensive gameside recruitment- many of those flying TEP’s flag weren’t even formal members of the EPSA- and the armies of all the sinkers (and the singular catcher if you’re inclined that way) are still quite small, if persistent, the NPA is still going strong.

By the arguments I have made here I by no means say that the NPA is weak or petty, it’s one of the premier militaries in the game and nobody can deny that, I only feel that there is some room for improvement for the recruitment for the organization and that we could reach new heights. The potential of the North Pacific Army is near unmatched, all it might take is one or two revolutionary leaders to bring it into the limelight of all of gameplay.

Last edited:
A few edits (mostly to clarify phrasing and break up run-on sentences)
The North Pacific Army (NPA) is one of the largest and most active militaries in the game; it’s not the biggest or the most overall skilled, but it’s certainly no slack. It regularly pulls eight people on update for even minor operations and consists of dedicated TNPers who have often been serving for years for the NPA. Together, they have collective expertise and experience of well over a hundred individual operations and perhaps over a thousand targeted regions.

For piles, the NPA most recently deployed nineteen soldiers in St Abaddon within only a few hours, and on the day of this writing participated in a tag raid with Osiris and The Black Hawks (TBH) where it hit 83 targets and counted as many soldiers provided by Osiris and TBH put together. Historically, the NPA has been instrumental in many great operations (including Nazi Europe in 2014) and is still a regular combatant of fascist forces in NS.

Much of the influence of the NPA can be attributed to now General and Security Councillor Gladio, as well as longtime members including Generals Quietdad and Zazumo as well as current Minister of Defense Loz. Despite the great power of the NPA, I (Malphe) feel, and have felt for some time, that it has room for improvement in one particular area; recruitment.

Of course, there are several ways the NPA already recruits. When you open the forums and go onto The Docks you will see the military applications thread just by the citizenship applications and the executive staff applications. Home Affairs has also conducted recruitment drives for the NPA in the past. But there is another, albeit maybe less professional way we could approach the issue. I’ll use the recent battle in St Abbaddon as an example for this argument.

The Pacific, and potentially other involved regions that may have used a similar tactic that my puppets didn’t catch, sent a regional telegram encouraging members of the region to take up arms and pile in Abaddon without explicitly needing to be a member of their military, the Legio. This is essentially the NS equivalent of rousing and gathering a militia to bolster the professional forces, and doubtless contributed to the gargantuan amounts of soldiers the NPO deployed (approximately, or upwards of one hundred). If they hadn’t sent out that telegram it may very well have cost them many potential soldiers.

I know the prospect may generate some debate, and I am by no means implying that we take action as radical as that, but I feel as though bringing the NPA into the open and gameside may be a wise course of action. The NPA as a whole is a little under wraps. To the average player gameside it’s an enigmatic organization with mentions buried in the forums and under dispatches. I’m sure a lot of casual issues players have no idea what the NPA is, whereas they’d know other TNP government organizations due to their gameside presence.

I do claim some responsibility for the gameside decline of the NPA’s presence. During my term in early 2018, I neglected the previous practice of sending telegrams to NPA members' nations for ongoing operations - this cost us perhaps over a dozen pilers by my estimation. Whilst the regular officers and updaters who often lead operations will stick with the NPA over rocky ground and periods of inactivity, the more casual players who aren’t on discord (or aren’t active there) will lose interest if there is a considerable lapse in operations they can interact with, or have not been properly notified of said ops. The record deployments of upwards of 35 soldiers have been achieved through the recruitment of pilers gameside.

If you wanted to see the greatest example of recruitment to a military and the benefits it can bring, then you should again look to the NPO’s Legio. Say what you will about the leadership or what they operate for, but they are many times larger in active soldier count than the NPA, and this was achieved through rigorous and dedicated recruitment efforts. In this example, recruitment extended to not just gameside sources but sources separate from NS entirely, such as from the P&W and CN branches of the NPO. This is what won them the clout to throw around upwards of one hundred pilers. I believe that if we take no other example from the Pacific’s governance, it should be the way they have recruited for their military.

So what does this mean? This means sending out gameside alerts for ongoing operations. This means going out of our way to recruit new members on mass. This means going the extra mile and putting all of High Command to work on expanding the NPA and potentially reorganizing it to better suit the modern landscape of R/D and the NPA. It perhaps means adopting the method of enlisting non-NPAers to crucial NPA operations through a WFE slot and regional telegrams.

But the NPA, of all the GCR militaries, is in good shape as it is. The SPSF is tiny and is attempting to get off the ground again. The EPSA only managed to pull as many pilers as they did for St Abbaddon due to extensive gameside recruitment; many of those flying TEP’s flag weren’t even formal members of the EPSA. The armies of all the sinkers (and the singular catcher if you’re so inclined) are still quite small, if persistent. Point being, whereas other GCR militaries are struggling, the NPA is still going strong.

By the arguments I have made here, I by no means say that the NPA is weak or petty - it’s one of the premier militaries in the game and nobody can deny that. I only feel that there is some room for improvement in terms of recruitment for the organization and that we could reach new heights. The potential of the North Pacific Army is near unmatched. All it might take is one or two revolutionary leaders to bring it into the limelight of all of gameplay.

Back