Wonderess

"I will be true to you whatever comes."
-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
I hereby reappoint Crushing Our Enemies and myself as Election Commissioner, subject to a confirmation vote by the Regional Assembly.

This discussion thread is for the deliberation of the reappointment of Crushing Our Enemies and Siwale to the Election Commission. A motion to vote can be put forward at anytime and the vote will be scheduled after a second is recognized.

I know it's not prohibited by law, but I'm still uncomfortable with the elected Delegate appointing himself as one of the people who run elections.

COE's A-OK in my book.

It does seem like there are some safeguards in place to prevent undue influence, which is definitely good, but all the same, it still seems a bit sketchy, and makes me feel a bit uneasy. I'll probably abstain.

I'd mainly vote Nay just because the sitting Delegate is the most likely person to run in a General election, and that's always the one where you really need commissioners.

I'd mainly vote Nay just because the sitting Delegate is the most likely person to run in a General election, and that's always the one where you really need commissioners.
Doesn't really matter this time around though does it, considering he's term limited?

Doesn't really matter this time around though does it, considering he's term limited?
Certainly, but someone active enough in GP to be Delegate could still partake in other positions like Vice Delegate. Since it's the term directly after an 8-month it's less likely for January but his term would last until April's general as well.

As I noted the last time we debated this issue, Election Commissioners are considered absent from the commission during any election in which they are a candidate. So an EC's likelihood to run for office is entirely irrelevant to their confirmation.

As always, I'm available to answer questions if anyone has any for me. If confirmed, this will the fourth term on the commission for both Siwale and I

Yes, COE, which is exactly my point. If they're absent from the frankly more important half of elections, then what's the point of confirming them in the first place?

Or... Maybe we could just ask them if they currently planning on running for any positions? And take their word for it? A bit of a moot point if Si decides to join the NPA after his run.

I have read the previous discussion on https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9160235/ and what has been posted here. There have been no Laws or Rules contravened. Albeit it is unusual to re-appoint oneself.
Surely there is someone available who could carry out the task? If the self appointment is causing such concern then maybe the Laws and Rules should be reviewed - just a suggestion.

Election supervision is not the only duty of an election commissioner. Furthermore, when the commission is adequately staffed (six to eight), no single commissioner would be expected to supervise fully half of the elections. Failing to confirm Siwale would be quite a blunder on the part of the RA, as he has been on the commission since it's inception, and has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with newer commissioners. I don't see any reason to delay a vote on his confirmation. I won't be so arrogant as to say the same for myself, but given that the RA has voted to confirm me three times, by overwhelming margins, I don't anticipate a rough series of questions.

Back