Citizenship Amendment

Looking through the comments following the previous formal debate, it appears we are all, for the most part, in agreement that this bill does NOT create the concerning security threats that were raised earlier in this discussion. There does appear to be some concern over private ballot IP verification, however, this has been a security weakness since the introduction of private voting. Since this bill does NOT alter private voting and serves a specific purpose of increasing election participation, the private ballot IP concerns are best to be addressed through a separate discussion between Forum Administration, the Election Commission, and the Regional Assembly.

Therefore, I move for a vote.

Additionally, since debate has already been quite extensive (162 thread posts since Nov 13th), no alterations have been made to the bill in nearly a month, and debate has died down quite significantly over the past week, I would like to request that formal debate be shortened to 2 days.

I think the issue goes further than just being a citizen and voting in the RA/elections. A large proportion of people that come to the forum from NS choose to become citizens because they want to help the regions government, not just vote in these two areas. This leads to them becoming members of the Executive staff in any of the 5 ministries (or 6 if you include the NPA as a ministry). Over recent months, and even a year, the region has struggled in terms of recruiting people into the executive staff and keeping them active. This inactivity is a particular problem for ministries like FA, with us struggling to fill embassies, getting members to take multiple embassies and the staff being very slow in sending information to their designated regions. By adding the RMB clause to the bill, I strongly believe will reduce the number of people that want to take part in the executive staff because they will only post when it comes to RA votes and elections, meaning less people to share the workload of the ministries, which makes it harder for us to get the work done effectively. And when it comes to those who say that they have no real reason to post on the forum every 30 days, if we allow them to maintain citizenship without requiring them to post on the forum, would that not hinder forum activity itself because it means that residents of our region can maintain their citizenship without using the forum, so when it comes to them voting in RA bills or the forum in general, they will not be offering anything that will held forum activity. I will give you your dues, forum activity and getting people onto the forum to take part is a problem and has been for a while, but I don't believe that this is the way to solve it.

I think the issue goes further than just being a citizen and voting in the RA/elections. A large proportion of people that come to the forum from NS choose to become citizens because they want to help the regions government, not just vote in these two areas. This leads to them becoming members of the Executive staff in any of the 5 ministries (or 6 if you include the NPA as a ministry). Over recent months, and even a year, the region has struggled in terms of recruiting people into the executive staff and keeping them active. This inactivity is a particular problem for ministries like FA, with us struggling to fill embassies, getting members to take multiple embassies and the staff being very slow in sending information to their designated regions. By adding the RMB clause to the bill, I strongly believe will reduce the number of people that want to take part in the executive staff because they will only post when it comes to RA votes and elections, meaning less people to share the workload of the ministries, which makes it harder for us to get the work done effectively. And when it comes to those who say that they have no real reason to post on the forum every 30 days, if we allow them to maintain citizenship without requiring them to post on the forum, would that not hinder forum activity itself because it means that residents of our region can maintain their citizenship without using the forum, so when it comes to them voting in RA bills or the forum in general, they will not be offering anything that will held forum activity. I will give you your dues, forum activity and getting people onto the forum to take part is a problem and has been for a while, but I don't believe that this is the way to solve it.

An interesting insight.

However, I do not believe a failing on the part of the Executive means the Regional Assembly should suffer. Making an extreme example, if we want to encourage participation in the ES, should we be mandating to maintain citizenship one must be serving in the Executive Staff?

There are ways for the Executive Staff to increase their membership, while that is not a topic for this forum, I would be happy to discuss it in a more appropriate venue.

Overall, I believe the individuals that post to maintain citizenship are infrequent and if at all they make a post, less "valuable" to the region. I will reference you to Koopa's latest post which was made just to maintain citizenship (and explicitly stated so) despite being an active officer in the NPA.

Last edited:
Back