-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
1. Who are you?

I am Elu. I've been around a bit. I joined the region under sketchy circumstances in 2006 and have been involved on and off since then. I was the first elected Delegate under the 2007 constitution not to coup. I was the instigator in 2012 of the Progressive Party and with myself as Delegate and Gulliver as Speaker we replaced our legal code and constitution and, I like to think, set our region on a course for better governance and greater activity. I was recalled for inactivity during my second term that year however, and have recently been told I may be the only elected official to have been recalled without having done a coup d'etat. I served again as Delegate for about 3 months in 2015 after elected Delegate Tomb resigned.

I've been on the Court several times, and Attorney General for the latter part of 2011 and a couple of months early in 2012.

2. What do you think about our laws?

I've drafted a legal manual. Most of it isn't ready for prime time, but here's the legal theory section:

The North Pacific is a democratic region. Fundamentally, all law in The North Pacific derives from the principle of popular sovereignty: the nations of the region established a constitution through public debate and referenda, and have followed its democratic processes to alter and create constitutional and other law in the decade plus since.

Expectations nations held of the necessary legal principles to be and remain a democratic region were adopted (first as part of the Constitution itself and then as an attached document) as the Bill of Rights. This document has seen the least change of all the region’s laws since 2005 and can be understood as the expression of the basic regional legal identity.

The region is not, therefore, a system of common law as such. Judicial precedent is considered informative rather than part of the law of itself. It’s not turtles all the way down: there is no legal principle which does not derive from some aspect of positive (formally adopted) law.

That being said, the democratic nature of the regional government is more fundamental than any particular legal document. The very origin of our documents through referenda and subsequent votes delineate that.

3. Why are you running?

Because I can do the job and feel like putting myself forward for it. I was considering running for Attorney General earlier but this is better.

4. Can we ask other questions?

Yes, please feel free.

Back