he/him
TNP Nation
El_Fiji_Grande
Discord
El Fiji Grande (#3446)
tnl_for3.png
The Spotlight #15: Interview with MoD Loz
by El Fiji Grande and Loz, Min. Comms and MoD

[box]El Fiji Grande: Welcome to The Spotlight, Loz! I am delighted you were able to find time on such short notice.

Loz: My pleasure, happy to be here

El Fiji Grande: One thing that that struck me a couple weeks ago when you returned to TNP is just how little I know about you. Could you tell me how you came to join NS?

Loz: Sure, I came into the game in January 2017 if I recall correctly. I was a pretty casual player at first, but a Telegram from Gladio caught my eye. Before I knew it I was in TNP, and in the NPA

El Fiji Grande: How early after joining did you become involved in the NPA? Did you become involved in other aspects of the regional government as well?

Loz: I joined the NPA as soon as I gained my citizenship! I was mainly just in the NPA in the beginning, but after a few months I started joining other ministries piece by piece. I really got my start in the executive in Comms helping to write the NPA bulletin. After that I joined the others, and actually became the Deputy Minister of Culture for Role Play Promotion. My proudest achievement there was restarting the Eras Magazine, which Prydania and McM are now doing a great job with!

El Fiji Grande: Are there any particularly noteworthy moments during your rise while in the NPA? What rank did you ultimately reach before your current position?

Loz: My Officer Test is a moment that will always be dear to me, but my proudest accomplishment was probably my term as Deputy Minister under Malphe. We smashed operation records that term and I learned more about R/D than I ever had before. Following my term as DMoD I was promoted to Major, which was the rank I held before becoming the Minister of Defense.

El Fiji Grande: I've noticed that many - if not every - member of the NPA holds their Officer Test as a significant moment in their NS career. Could you help explain why that is?

Loz: The Officer Test is in my opinion the most important part of a soldier's career. Only officers are allowed to organize and lead operations which opens up a whole new side of R/D. Being made an officer also shows you've earned the trust of your fellows and superiors in the NPA. Being a part of that brotherhood for me at least has been one of the most rewarding aspects of being in The North Pacific.

El Fiji Grande: While serving in the NPA, what is the greatest challenge you have had to overcome?

Loz: The greatest challenge I have had in the NPA is staying organized. I think I have largely overcome this, but when you are a new soldier it can be difficult to keep all the information you need to run an op together.

El Fiji Grande: Siwale mentioned something about how being involved in IRL militaries drew you away from NS. What made you decide to return?
And is that statement even accurate?

Loz: Yes actually, I am in the United States Army and my duties over the last sixth months kept me too busy to be active in Nation States. For this term I thankfully have something of a break, but come May I'll have to put NS on hold once more.

El Fiji Grande: (Thanks for your service!) Congratulations on your appointment to Minister of Defense!! It seems like it’s well-deserved. How does it feel to be Zazumo’s successor?

Loz: Thank you for your support, I appreciate it! I am very happy to be following Zaz, but he has left a tremendous legacy. As Minister he was phenomenal in maintaining activity, and working with our allies. I will absolutely try my best to live up to the standard he set.

El Fiji Grande: In your words, why is it important that the NPA remain active?

Loz: The NPA needs to remain active and well trained in order to support the objectives of The North Pacific. There are parts of R/D that are inherently more difficult than others, and ensuring that my soldiers are well trained to face any operation that might come their way is absolutely critical.

El Fiji Grande: Do you have any plans for where you want to take the NPA?

Loz: My main focuses for this term are training and modernization. I have already reorganized the officer corps in order to make more officers involved in the administration of the NPA. I will also be updating the NPA training documents to reflect changes in R/D, and changes in the NPA. Of course I would also like to continue working with our allies, and continue our dedication to anti-fascism and anti-Nazism.

El Fiji Grande: That sounds good! My plans for the future of the Northern Broadcast Service line up with that as well.

Loz: I am actually in the NBS, or I was before my absence :D

El Fiji Grande: I'm glad to hear that! I've listened to all the old episodes, so I may have heard you.
To continue, why were you chosen above other candidates for the office? What do you bring to the job?
Or rather, what would you say your greatest strengths and weaknesses are?

Loz: While I don't want to speak for Siwale, I'd like to think that he remembered my passion for the region and for the NPA. As for strengths and weaknesses, am I very proficient at leading and triggering which has also been what I enjoy most about NS war. In terms of weaknesses I suppose my weakness is that I have been a TNP loyalist all my time in NS. I have recently starting communicating with my allied counterparts to close up that gap in knowledge.

El Fiji Grande: I know from experience how difficult leading and triggering can be. Regarding stance, how do you align yourself on raiding and defending? What are your thoughts on our stance as independent?

Loz: To be truthful I don’t have strong opinions either way. The NPA is a tool of foreign policy and I’ll do whatever it takes for the NPA to fulfill the needs of the Region.

El Fiji Grande: A careful response. :P It's ok, I respect that. Is there anyone in the region in particular whom you look up to, and if so, why?

Loz: Like is said I’m a loyalist :P

El Fiji Grande: That's not a weakness!
But I understand what you mean.

Loz: I look up to so many people in this region it’s hard to put a few down here. QuietDad, Gladio, Bootsie, McM, Malphe, Zaz, Prydania! It’s hard to pick when this region has such a wealth of incredible people
But I will say that I look to people who take the time to help others learn and grow

El Fiji Grande: What advice would you give any newcomers to the region to have a successful career here - as you put it - to learn and grow?

Loz: The most important advice I can give to new members of the region is to ask questions and find a mentor. I think it was easier for me to find a mentor because the NPA is already more geared towards that to begin with, but in the ministries and in RP its vital to find people who have had a myriad of experience in NS and who can help you grow.

El Fiji Grande: To follow that up, what's the best piece of advice you've ever received on NS? How has that advice affected your own path through NS?

Loz: The best piece of device I have ever received is from QuietDad. Once when I was stressing about something he told me "Its a friggin game." And I think that is important for everyone to remember as they start to establish themselves in NationStates. Too often have I seen people take this too far and ruin themselves in the process.

El Fiji Grande: What's your favorite thing about TNP that isn't NPA-related?

Loz: That's a tough question, but I would have to say participating in Roleplay is my second favorite part of TNP. TNP RP is filled with awesome and incredibly helpful people who are not only usually excellent writers, but people who also care deeply about the growth and camaraderie of the community.

El Fiji Grande: *nods* To borrow a question from Kasch’s interview of Malphe: How do you want to be remembered in TNP? What do you want your legacy to be?

Loz: I want to be remembered as someone who left the region better than he found. And as someone people could always come to for advice or just to chat

El Fiji Grande: I'll keep that in mind.
Alright, before we bring this interview to an end, is there anything you'd like to add?

Loz: Yes! Thank you for having me in the spotlight tonight Fiji! I didn’t know you before I left, but it’s clear to me that you have passion and work ethic that we should all aspire to.

El Fiji Grande: I appreciate that, thanks. I look forward to serving alongside you this term.
Well, it looks like that's all we have time for. It’s been a pleasure. *shakes hand*

Loz: *shakes hand*[/box]

Last edited:
Back