Behind That Mask of Sanity [CLOSED]

OOC

This thread is intended for the purpose of serving as a place to portray important and less important Chudokuren events from the perspective of Aozora Chiyumi, Supreme Overlady of Kyoki Chudoku, and her associates. What exactly happens here will vary immensely, but it’s nice to have somewhere to put these things. With that said, let us begin.

The Bigger Picture

Kazumi Hirai stepped into the chamber, a room designated for meetings such as that which was about to begin. The reinforced walls were decorated with maps, several files left on the large and circular table in the room’s centre. Kazumi served her nation in an important official capacity- the head of foreign affairs. She presented an image of a gentle and caring woman, capable of great emotion when the situation called for it. But in truth, a truth known to very few, she felt...nothing. No anger. No hatred. No pressure. No fear. Kazumi was not troubled by emotions as others were. True, she understood them, even exploited them, but she didn’t feel them. And nobody knew. Most would never guess that such an innocent seeming woman would spend her entire life putting up a facade.

But one person did know. And she was the very one she’d been called in here to meet.

“Kiku.” came a voice. A figure entered the room. She was shrouded in red, the garments beneath purple. Upon her head was a silver nekojo, worn like a crown, resembling leaders of times long past. Her eyes appeared purple, but not naturally so. That was the result of contacts. Why did she even bother which such things? Kazumi knew she had a fascination with the ancient and enigmatic, and most especially the arcane. She knew why this woman called her not by her own name- this title, Kiku, was part of a private ritual. For that woman was Aozora Chiyumi, Supreme Overlady of Kyoki Chudoku, and she had followed certain cherry-picked traditions of the archaic Tenshi Order. Aozora was not a spiritual woman, nor a religious one. She seemed at times like a child to Kazumi- giving her associates strange and secret names, holding in the highest regard that which claimed to be magical, interpreting and twisting ancient traditions to make them more impressive. But this was the woman she served, the woman who knew her own deepest secret, and the one who she hoped would gain victory in the end.

Kazumi bowed, as per their tradition. “My Supreme Overlady, for what purpose am I summoned here?” Curiosity lined her tone, but she knew the answer. She had seen it on the files being read, the symbol of the Iterian League. Times were growing desperate, and at last that personal threshold had been overcome. Aozora’s stubbornness was now eclipsed by her desperation.

Aozora sat down, making a gesture as she did so. Kazumi rose, and sat opposite her Overlady. Aozora spent a moment examining one of the reports, preferring paper over digital work even though thr latter was readily available for one of such power. At last, she spoke. “You serve well in your capacity. As head of foreign affairs, you have handled several situations. As such, I believe the time has come to ask your advice on another matter. As you’ve seen, I’ve been examining some documents. The rebel problem grows more frustrating every day. Between the monarchs, the democrats, the Nakusikans, and even those defectors like Hoshiko,” she spat, “we struggle to restore order. That is all I desire. Order!” An obvious lie made transparent by anger, but one the world would have to buy into. “And yet, ever since my ascensions, I’ve been unable to rule even a single nation! These accursed traitors desire nothing more than chaos. They need to be stopped. And with the Fifth Battle of Idaina Nojo progressing poorly, I think the time has come to swallow our pride and ask outsiders for their aid.” Resigned desperation. Kazumi was listening less to her words and more to her tone. Unlike her, Aozora had emotions, and they could grow deep and intense.

“My Overlady, the Iterian League would not be bound by law to aid us. They may easily see us as another backwater plagued by chaos. What benefit would us joining them give them? We have no close ties with our continental neighbours. If they see an opportunity, it will be our exploitation.” Kazumi kept her tone calm, almost reassuring, with just a hint of accusation. This was a balancing act, but one she’d performed her whole life. Oh, Aozora knew she was a sociopath, but she knew herself the sadistic urges that faced the Overlady. Balanced. And even knowing that truth about Kiku would not make her immune to an emotional voice.

“That is not a disadvantage.” Aozora rose from her seat, making a sweeping gesture. “This nation belongs to me. Or at very least, it should. And it will. We will not be required to follow many of their regulations. We will have a voice, an ability to influence. We can make ourselves more than we are! We can allow their desires to tempt them. And from that temptation, we can benefit.”

Kazumi forced herself to chuckle. “What are you now, a demon?”

Aozora smiled. “Perhaps I am. You know my nature, as I know yours. You know better than anyone how easy it is to exploit emotions. At first, it will be guilt. Aid this suffering nation. Aid them save their people from starvation, sickness, death by toxic gas! And then it will be pride. Save a nation, be respected. Exploit them if you will. They don’t know any better. They’ll do anything for your help. That’s what they think of us. Tell me, Kiku, though I know the answer...have you seen the mess Yukkira has caused? With them having departed, we have an opportunity. We can take their place. We can demonstrate our worth, should they aid us. They will believe us desperate, and we will take advantage of that.” She was confident. She’d read up on recent external events, which was rather unusual for one so focused on ehr own nation. But she was arrogant, presumptuous.

“With all due respect, this plan depends upon the League being incompetent. They’ve had to deal with numerous crises. Surely our own inexperienced diplomats will struggle to convey such an impression persuasively. Manipulating them isn’t going to work, at very least not for long. Do not forget that there is a reason that we are desperate. What’s to stop them from siding with the rebels, whether they be monarchists or democratic or even the Nakusikans?”

Aozora was silent for a few seconds. “Common sense. Would they side against the people valuing order? The side in control, the side that has the most strength, the side that seeks them out?” She was attempting logic, her voice calm. Kazumi knew all three types of calm Aozora was capable of. There was genuine tranquility, often found after another had suffered. There was the cold yet burning anger, when she was broken behind all sadness and desired only a cruel and merciless fate for those responsible. And at last, there was this, the calmness that resulted from mild confidence and an attempt at logical reasoning. “Listen. Yukkira is a nation torn apart. We are a nation pulling itself together, urging them to aid us in our quest. To refuse us would go against their mission. They want stability. We want stability. I want stability. It is perfect. And should they refuse, we lose nothing.”

“It is what we lose from them accepting that concerns me.” saif Kazumi. “We would need to allow a facility in our nation. It would be a symbol to our people that we are cowards, bowing down to a foreign power. It shows we’re desperate. It shows-“

“Desperate? DESPERATE!?” Aozora’s fist slammed into the table. “WE’VE ALREADY shown we’re desperate! Thousands of soldiers, dead! Civilians murdered by traitors! We’re low on bullets, low on troops, and every battle is a loss for us whether or not we win! Our enemy has the same problems, but we can’t exploit them in time because we’re stuck desperately cobbling together whatever ammunition and morale we have left! Help isn’t going to make us seem desperate. It’s going to make us seem like people with working brains! Do you think I’ve not considered this? I know people may be upset in the short term. But think about it! The alternative is those people being upset because some traitor’s phosgene gas flooded half the city and killed everyone they know!” Outrage. A moment of hatred, before a series of deep breaths. That was the desire to control herself returning. Aozora sat back down, sighing. “We don’t have a choice.”

Kazumi wasn’t happy, sad, scared, angry. She felt nothing. And when she considered it, Aozora was right. Of course, she’d known the whole time there was little alternative. That was her role as Kiku, after all. To point out problems in a way Aozora might actually consider, even if she did get mad. She was still a servant, in a sense. She acted as Aozora willed her to, and she did so of her own accord. Because Aozora was generous enough to give her a position of power, and because the two knew each other’s secret. One was a sociopath, one was a sadist. Oh, the other secrets known amongst the highest ranks, desires kept concealed behind that mask of sanity they tried their hardest to uphold. Lacking emotion was barely on the list compared to what some kept hidden.

“In that case, I will make a request for our admission. I will have a diplomatic group prepared for the assignment, in case it should come to fruition.” Kazumi bowed. “We will ensure that the future of Kyoki Chudoku is one of order and prosperity, for the good of all the world.”

“Good.” said Aozora. The way she said that...it wasn’t demanding, nor commanding, nor even relieved. It was certain. Absolute. Aozora was a woman of extremes. But there was no denying that she offered that which others could not, dare not.

“Then I shall attend to my work now. I bid you farewell, Supreme Overlady of Kyoki Chudoku.” The head of foreign affairs departed the room. There was a lot of writing ahead of her. Of course, there always was. Her duty was always one filled with responsibilities. Perhaps this choice would ruin the nation, perhaps it would save it, perhaps it would make no difference at all. Whatever the case, the choice had been made, and now she had only to do her best to make it work.

Back