-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
El_Fiji_Grande
Discord
El Fiji Grande (#3446)
The Case for Foreign Affairs

While I am a member of TNP’s Foreign Affairs Executive Staff, I speak only for myself. These opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of TNP as a whole.

It has been my experience in my time overseas in a handful of UCRs that Foreign Affairs is underappreciated and often ignored. Not only are regions more secure when they share official alliances with other regions, but smaller regions have the most to gain from pursuing interregional relationships with the wider NS World. Back when I was a delegate, I was often peppered with questions as to how foreign affairs affects common citizens, and why the relationships we built were worth the effort. This article is designed to be a response to that perception. Additionally, this article should serve as a reminder to the world’s major powers and veteran players that foreign affairs should never be taken for granted.

First off, there is the advantage of security. Allies can defend each other from hostile forces, can save each other from coups, and remove rogue delegates from power should the need ever arise. While these events are few and far between, it’s always nice to have a back-up plan if things go astray.

Then there are WA voting blocs. Ever heard of the World Assembly Legislative League (WALL)? It’s a coalition made up of some of the strongest governments in NS assembled to discuss and vote on WA resolutions. And while members are not required to vote together, and more often than not don’t, WALL strengthens alliances. It’s a system that allows nations to form a special bond with our interregional partners, and work more closely with them than we ever otherwise would. When WALL votes apart, it nonetheless brings regions together; and when WALL votes as one, it is truly a force to be reckoned with. More regions should make use of this idea or something similar to strengthen their relations.

Events and roleplay also bring people together. It provides a backdrop to the serious nature of regional updates and distressing news ricocheting off the corners of the NS World. Interregional events - such as Wintreath’s Summersend Festival - have low interregional attendance. More people should take advantage of the games, the puzzles, and the brief respite against the turmoil of politics. In my view, the recent N-Day event in which UPPERCUT triumphed over the world was a direct result of brilliant foreign affairs. Roleplay already takes place in P2TM, but a version in which allies RP on a single map could improve interpersonal relationships.

Ultimately, NS is about making friends and sharing ideas. Foreign Affairs is critical to this goal, as without it, regions would be stuck in their bubble, never knowing of the affairs of the outside world. It has the potential to affect every citizens’ daily life for the better when those ideas come back to improve your region as a whole. You can find things you like about another region’s offsite forums, or government structure, or theme, and you can use those ideas in your own region. It’s not supposed to be a conduit for politicians to brag about their success, nor is it meant to be a way to rise to fame. It takes hard work, and open mind, curiosity, and a friendly spirit. It requires officials to be genuine, and citizens to be passionate. The effort is high, but the payoff is tremendous.

With respect,
~El Fiji Grande

Back