Dedication: So that the voices of the people may echo ever louder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderess

"I will be true to you whatever comes."
-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
Campaign IMAGE.001.png

A celebration: This is what The North Pacific is at its core. TNP is a celebration of the people and nations that wish to work together to create a masterpiece of a regional government that stands as a model for the remaining regions of NationStates. This is how I view this great region of ours, and that is why I wish to serve it in any way I can.

Hello! I am Wonderess, one of your current Deputy Speakers, and I am running to serve as your next Speaker of the Regional Assembly. I have spent this past term under Speaker abc learning what serving the Regional Assembly is all about. In truth, it is a daunting and very complex task. I do not wish to be Speaker because I believe that I can serve perfectly or through my efforts alone. The Speaker's job rather is to listen to the people and facilitate the legislative process for the betterment of government and regional function. Therefore, I consider it the Speaker's duty to listen to the wise members of the region, acknowledge when mistakes are made, and strive for better service for the sake of the people. This is why I have chosen my slogan: "Wonderess for Speaker: So that the voices of the people may echo ever louder." The Speaker is a mediator of the important proceedings that address the problems of The North Pacific today.

Here are some points that I believe will aid in improving the office's efforts and efficiency:

- Publish RA Digests monthly so that a significant amount of activity may be reported and so that the number of telegrams taking up the time of citizens may be minimized.
- Have at least one Deputy Speaker be someone with experience in the office in order to have an advisor figure for the sitting Speaker in case questions present themselves.
- Open a thread that contains all laws pertinent to and constituting the parameters of the Regional Assembly in one place for easy viewing.
- Hold conferences every two weeks so that the Speaker may address any questions or concerns of the Regional Assembly in a collaborative session.
- Create a comprehensive document explaining the functions of the Speaker's Office in order to train new citizens, Deputy Speakers, and Speaker's Staff about the powers, responsibilities, and procedures of the Regional Assembly.

Above all, I wish to emphasize the Speaker's important role of being a part of the community. I am currently a member of TNP Role Play, Executive Staff (Foreign Affairs, Culture, and World Assembly Affairs), and a regular chatter/debater in the throws of The Agora on Discord. If you select me, I shall strive to remain an active member in order to be a part of the body I pledge to represent.

I look to this opportunity in joy for I wish to serve this region in repayment for allowing me the honor of being a part of this great celebration of a region that shall endure. Thank you all!

In faith,
Wonderess

You have my support. I have the utmost confidence that you'll be one of the best speakers we've had in a long time.

I would like to spare the people of this fine region from having to endure even another moment in Tapatalk, so, even if you just repeat the same words (and I encourage you to take this chance to possibly refine and carefully consider your answers):

Wonderess, you are the chief deputy of abc, and have taken on the brunt of his duties, he taught you what you know but you have been part of the string of errors that have generated criticism. Why should people assume that electing you is any different from electing abc, who is the incumbent and will have to improve on the same things you would have to improve if you are elected? If you want to take credit for what worked as his deputy, how can you distinguish yourself from what went wrong? Put another way, if I have to decide between the two of you, aren't you and abc going to do the same things, essentially, to correct what went wrong the last 4 months? Is there a difference between the two of you, since you were both involved in the same work this term?

Could you tell me every specific thing you learned from this term that will serve you going forward so you know how to do those specific things or respond to them if they come up again?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I asked you the above, a month has passed. It has only been the last few days that you have really been able to take advantage of your status as Acting Speaker. I appreciate why you may wish to hold off on doing anything big or even anything small, but is there any innovation or approach you would like to try out in the week or so you have this job, and have any of your ideas been altered or informed by life on the new forum?

You have a heavyweight opponent in this race, but as he said, he was around back in the day, and the office has changed a lot, even since he held it last year. How specifically would your experience and exposure to that make you better suited than him, given that most of the actual duties are the same anyway?

I would like to spare the people of this fine region from having to endure even another moment in Tapatalk, so, even if you just repeat the same words (and I encourage you to take this chance to possibly refine and carefully consider your answers):

Wonderess, you are the chief deputy of abc, and have taken on the brunt of his duties, he taught you what you know but you have been part of the string of errors that have generated criticism. Why should people assume that electing you is any different from electing abc, who is the incumbent and will have to improve on the same things you would have to improve if you are elected? If you want to take credit for what worked as his deputy, how can you distinguish yourself from what went wrong? Put another way, if I have to decide between the two of you, aren't you and abc going to do the same things, essentially, to correct what went wrong the last 4 months? Is there a difference between the two of you, since you were both involved in the same work this term?

Could you tell me every specific thing you learned from this term that will serve you going forward so you know how to do those specific things or respond to them if they come up again?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I asked you the above, a month has passed. It has only been the last few days that you have really been able to take advantage of your status as Acting Speaker. I appreciate why you may wish to hold off on doing anything big or even anything small, but is there any innovation or approach you would like to try out in the week or so you have this job, and have any of your ideas been altered or informed by life on the new forum?

You have a heavyweight opponent in this race, but as he said, he was around back in the day, and the office has changed a lot, even since he held it last year. How specifically would your experience and exposure to that make you better suited than him, given that most of the actual duties are the same anyway?
Thank you for the questions, @Pallaith. I think that ABC's term was plagued by his inability to be constantly present in TNP and listening to the concerns of the community. I believe it is important for a Speaker to provide time to be brought grievances rather than just waiting for someone to reach a boiling point and then reach out in frustration. That being said, I know that I didn't do my job perfectly and that mistakes were made. This mainly included typos on the Regional Assembly Digest or a citizenship check issue from time to time. Even so, my issues in the office differ mainly from ABC's which have a more outreach role added alongside the constitutional duties of the office. I want to work very hard to find solutions to issues that may arise in the office by looking to the community for advice while also maintaining the power of making the final decision. However, all options have to be explored before a decision can be made and that is a part of leadership if you ask me.

Now when it comes to what I have learned: I have mainly learned how to do citizenship checks, how to open and close votes, and how to put together a RA Digest. All of these things are what I would consider basic aspects of the office. It took me a while to finally figure out what the difference is between a legislative and non-legislative action of the Regional Assembly which I had to learn through watching. There was no aspect of the office that I was involved with at least that included furthering the dialogue between the Speakership and the community as a whole which I want to actually work to strengthen this term as I previously said. The worst offense I could leave in TNP is an "out of touch" Speaker's Office which is the antithesis of what it should be.

The thing is that I am running for Speaker now while actually doing the job of a speaker. Furthermore, the forum change is something to observe before making any change to the office's function. We have to rebuild participation before we try anything special. So nothing experimental will happen until everything appears to be settled.

In regard to Bootsie's challenge, I respect him as a fellow citizen, but I literally have been in the job over the past months and at current. Also, I have not dropped out of TNP either by lack of forum activity or by ceasing to exist in NS. It is easy for me to say because I know I can trust myself to give the job my all. I hope others see that as my endeavor as well. I am uncertain of how Bootsie would perform in the office in the here and now and I think that is a variable that people should consider.

Will you be conducting another town hall as the vote approaches, as you did the first time around?
Do you have any idea who you will be appointing as Deputy Speaker(s)?

Last edited:
@El Fiji Grande I will hold a town hall if I see demand for one. I do not have anything else to say that has not been said though I can schedule one if you would like to ask questions in a town hall setting. As for Deputy Speaker picks I am not settled on that yet. I think I will need to interview those I think can work well with me, remain responsible in their office, represent the office well, and have complementary working styles to my own, so there is no final list as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back