Tales from 2002

Iraelia

TNPer
Tales from 2002: The Citizen's Story

The Subprime Home Loan Crisis of 2002 was among the most turbulent times in Callise. The bank runs and subsequent economic panic nearly brought the country to it's knees, and had an effect on everyone.

We've heard about the crisis from economists and historians several times over, but exclusively in terms of figures and data. Often overlooked are the actual people behind the numbers. The workers, students, brokers, investors, and bankers who had their lives irreversibly altered in the course of a few hours.

From the bestselling author, Chloé Aveline comes Tales from 2002: The Citizen's Story, a series of real-life narratives from those whose paths were changed, for better or for worse, on that very fateful day. Follow the story of an ill-begotten stockbroker, a working-class immigrant, a student with a bright idea, and many more Callisean citizens as Aveline paints for you a picture of that fateful event sixteen years ago.

Bishop Maximilien Ferét: I

I suppose we should start from the beginning.

I was born, in 1977 to two very loving parents in a very nice neighborhood. My father was a banker, my mother an educator, and I their well-fed, well-kempt child. I was raised a Revenist Messianist, though I don't think I truly appreciated that until after I lost everything. Like most upper-middle-class children, I was generally spoiled. My parents enrolled me in a private school at the age of five and, before I knew it, I was attending the University of Beaune to study Finance.

I think it was at the Age of 23, after I had graduated, that I partnered with my first firm. I didn't really want to do it, my father coerced me into being a trader, but I like to think I took to it well. I had closed several successful deals before turning 24 and was on my way to becoming a company executive. But then I turned 25.

I remember the course of events like it all happened just a week ago. I pulled up to the stock exchange in my brand new Lambert 2001 Sports Car. I wore my nicest designer suit, my expensive designer cologne, and jet black shoes. I walked with a swagger that only an arrogant young man can muster. As I entered the building, a man held out a cup asking for some spare change. I told him, word for word, "Get a job, you worthless bum."

I will regret that choice for the rest of my life.

As I stepped into my fancy, new office, I took a sip from my Greed is Good coffee mug, stared reverently at my photo of that tyrant LeBlanc, and set to work. Little did I know this would be my last day working in any office space for the rest of my life.

Back