Periodic Table

Highton

Not a Malorian vassal
TNP Nation
Highton Islands
Discord
Highton#5752
This is a question I had and I was wondering if it has ever been brought up before, and if not this is where to discuss it.

Does the Eras periodic table look any different? Some elements have been named after real-world countries, states, towns, real-life people, planets, or observatories which obviously never existed in Eras. The first examples that come to mind are Francium, Americium, Californium, and Tennessine but there are at least 50. Should just these elements be renamed, or left as is.

On the Periodic Table below, I highlighted elements named after people (like Curium), towns (like Moscovium), countries (like Germanium), and planets (like Uranium). I didn't highlight ones named after gods (like Thorium). It's entirely possible I missed one, but I highlighted 51, almost half of the elements.

L1xHZzkh.png

Some of those elements are fine. Others, though, definitely need renaming. Personally, I think the Conclave should lead the way in this endeavor, deciding what to name the elements, in order to prevent dickwaving and petty competition for the names.

I think it would be easier to attempt to derive an alternative explanation for a name rather than attempt to create a new one. Big reason is having to memorize the new names and recall them when making posts when they're relevant.

Now, you could probably name-change a lot of the synthetic elements. Anything element 100 and up doesn't have any usefulness outside of scientific research.

Taking what Sil said into consideration, I think we should rename elements Francium (87) onwards. That leaves 28.

Obviously, we should open up for some nations to have elements named after them, but they shouldn't just be handed out willy-nilly.

Possible replacement names need to be discussed as well as the separate reasoning for higher up elements.

I think you're too hung up on "Oh, this element was named for a nation, it needs changed," and maybe Francium in particular because it sticks out. Not to mention you're crossing over two common elements used when referring to nuclear science, Uranium and Plutonium.

I do not want to have to go around slapping newbies on the wrist saying "No, no, no, we don't call it that. You have to say this..."

Couldn't we just find alternative origins for Francium, Uranium, Neptunium, and Plutonium, and then take elements 95 and up and rename them? Maybe we make characters to discover those four, like Francine (Last Name) or (first name) Uran, and the element was named after them instead.

I'm very with Sil on this one, there comes a point where we go or worry a little too deep and therefore start to become a bit less accessible or at least a community that is a little harder to RP in as small changes like this add up. Not to mention the fact that plenty of seasoned RPers are not going to have those new names memorized and will need to dig through the forums to find the one or two lounge posts that spells it out.

Alternate explanations solve our canon problem well enough on this one without the added hassle I think.

Back