The Price We Pay

Esplandia

Factbook Addict
-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
Amelia loved daffodils, her favorites were the ones that grew in the old castle moat, which had long been dried out. They were white, with a burst of yellow and red like a small sun at the center. She picked two dozen of them, picking only the best ones and placing them in a basket that her sister held.

Silvia would point out any she thought good, and her older sister would give the final word on them. After they’d gotten the number they needed they climbed up out of the moat and sat on its grassy banks.

Amelia took a length of ribbon and wrapped it around the stems, and tying it off in a bow. It was their mother’s birthday, and the two girls had decided to surprise her with some fresh flowers for her room.

Laughing they returned to the castle. Their parents were sitting outside under the shade of a large pavilion. Their little brother Edwin, having recently learned to walk, was stumbling about on the grass, a number of servants in attendance watching to make sure he didn’t fall and hurt himself.

Their mother was excited to receive the flowers. “Thank you,” she said. “I’d wondered where you girls had gone off to.”

“Happy birthday,” they both said in unison and then each gave her a hug and a kiss.

Silvia then jumped up in her mother’s lap and started to sing one of her favorite songs at the top of her lungs. When she finished her mother clapped, but her father had had quite enough.

“Alright, be gone with you,” Sherwin said. “Go play with your little brother.”

As Silvia ran off to join her brother a chair was brought up for Amelia. She was also brought a glass of iced tea.

“How has Northgate been?” Her father asked. “I haven’t heard much news from that end of Karthied.”

“It’s been good, thank you,” she answered. “I’ve enjoyed the work and I’ll miss it come August.”

“Are you thinking about going into Civil Order then?” Her mother asked.

“No, no. I’ll be keeping to my plan. I’m going to university and then I will work towards joining the Landesgrad.”

Sherwin smiled proudly. “I’m glad to hear it. I wish your brother had that kind of sense.”

“He doesn’t like being a duke, does he?” she laughingly asked.

“He doesn’t like having a desk even more I think.” Sherwin took a moment to clap at his two youngest children as Silvia tried to show Edwin how to do a somersault. “By the way, the King and Queen of Hastenfrakta have invited us to their Harvestfest Ball. Would you like to come?”

“I’ve never been to Halsen,” she said.

“I thought we could see Kreggenburn, and maybe the tomb of Avalus.”

“Certainly,” Amelia answered. “The ball could be fun.”

“Oh, I doubt that,” Sherwin said both seriously and jokingly. “But it will be enlightening nonetheless.”

“Then there’s this whole vote on allocating funds for the proposed railway between Idjo and Kadaevfen,” Raum Kolta said, reading from a small red notebook. “That’s scheduled to take place in December.”

“This is for the new high-speed one, right?” Irwin asked, making sure to add a note onto his computer as a reminder to look into it.

“That’s the one,” Kolta confirmed. He waited for the prince to finish typing, a slight smile on his face as he watched Irwin try to figure out the system. “You’ll need a secretary for all this,” he stated.

“Yeah, but I want to know how to do it myself as well.”

“You’ll never keep up with it all I’m afraid. I’ve been doing this for forty years. Trust me.”

Irwin sighed and leaned back in his chair. “You’re probably right. I’ll have the ministry assign one.”

“You want to take a break?” Kolta asked. “I could go for a cup of tea.”

Irwin looked at his watch. “Let’s finish this up and then we can. Thanks for the assistance on all this.”

“You’re the new voice in the Landesgrad, it’s in my best interest to get you up to speed. But it’s also my pleasure.” He looked again at his notebook, perusing a couple pages. “One thing I think you would be best set to handle. This will be for September, around Harvestfest.”

“My father told me about his invitation to Halsen, but I haven’t decided if I’ll go yet.”

“You should decline that invitation,” Kolta said. “This is something else. Duke Gaston of Meregwuold will be in Karthied to speak before the VF lower house against the new trade taxes. You should offer to give him a tour of the city.”

Irwin sighed in resignation. “Oh, I have never cared for Gaston. But I suppose it’s my job now to be his friend.”

Kolta just gave the Prince a knowing grin. “Now that your father’s the King of Alstenbek, yes.” He put his notebook in his coat pocket. “Gaston is a popular leader. His people love him. But most importantly, he’s got the ear of the Lord Mayor of Anfallith, and he now falls directly under our sphere of influence, whether we like him or not. The only good thing, is the Saegsbergens dislike him as much as you do.”

Irwin gave a short laugh at that. “So photo op, shake hands, kiss babies, the works?”

“He’ll flirt with all the women too, but you can leave all that to him to do. You’re a taken man now.” Kolta joined Irwin in a laugh this time. “I would suggest leaving your lovely Laena out of this tour you’re gonna give. Keep her out of the spotlight until the wedding. Let her have a few more months of peace.”

Irwin nodded in agreement. “Now,” Kolta continued, “let’s go get something to eat. I am famished.”

The season slowly passed in the Vestrugat, summer heading towards its end, autumn beginning. Students graduated and began the process of applying to the two year programs they wanted to get into, the programs that would fulfill their two year civil service requirements. While those nearing the end of their service prepared to begin university.

Princess Amelia finished her service in the Ministry of Civil Order in the last weeks of summer. Her father threw her a smile congratulatory party in the Royal Manor at Maerredge north of Karthied, for her and her friends who were also preparing to start university.

Among those there were Bethenae Gent and Abigael Kalder, Amelia’s closest friends. The three girls had all joined the ministry together, serving as Civil Order officers in Karthied, and they made a dignified group in their blue and gray uniforms.

For Sherwin it was a proud moment, and for his wife it was joyous. The oldest of her children had become a woman, ready to begin their own life. They only stayed for an hour before discreetly leaving and allowing the young people to enjoy their first day as adults.

Sherwin of course left them in good hands. His brother’s daughter Harriet, was left to keep on eye on the girls. And the Skywing boys had been invited as guests. All three were young men that Sherwin could trust.

Amelia didn’t see her parents leave, instead focusing on her friend Bethenae dancing with the eldest Skywing boy. She was going out of her way to hint at her interest, but Aeron was very stiffly and pointedly ignoring her advances.

Amelia noticed Arron’s young brother’s, Geraldt and Taewin standing in a group talking with a number of girls. They were both dressed in the dark green and white uniforms of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Geralt with his foreign dignitaries sash. She decided to make her way over and say hi.

‘The embassy in Ceretis is over a thousand years old,” Geralt was telling the gathered young ladies. “It’s decorated with more books than the Royal Library, but not any gold I’m afraid.”

The girls seemed disappointed with that. “There is however a staircase made of silver,” Geralt added, keeping their attention.

Amelia walked up next to Taewin. “Is your brother telling tall-tales again?” She asked him, speaking quietly so only he could hear.

Taewin smiled when he saw her. “He lacks the imagination for that,” he confided. “But I’m sure there is an actual silver staircase.”

Amelia gave him a quick hug. “It’s nice to see you.”

Taewin blushed, but made a polite reply. “You too.”

They then strolled among the guests catching up on things since they’d last seen each other. Amelia was excited about her upcoming trip to Halsen in Alstenbek and Taewin told her that he was going to be there as part of her father’s security detail. “My father’s doing,” Taewin confided. “At least you’ll know someone there.”

“Good, so if I get in to any awkward situations you can save me,” she teased.

“You’ll likely be saving me this time,” he joked.

September 21, 2018

The special session of the Federation’s Landesgrad would begin following the Harvestfest festivities. The King had already left for his visit to Hastenfrakta, but many other officials would be in Karthied to hear the speeches to be given. It was the busiest the capital city had been in a decade. Everywhere in Karthied there were impromptu markets set up selling produce and wares.

The feast wouldn’t begin until tomorrow, but the whole city already had an air of carnival. For Irwin it was another day. In his father’s absence he had been left in charge of hosting the Harvest Feast. While this year it was to be a smaller affair, there was still over six dozen guests from Esplandia, Alstenbek, Saegsen, and Meregwuold attending. For Irwin it would be a trial by fire.

Plus he was supposed to play guide for Meregwuold’s Duke when he arrived later this evening. But with most of the Ministers in the city for the upcoming Landesgrad, Irwin found himself inundated with offers of assistance. Everyone was trying to get into the prince’s good graces.

After finalizing the menu for the next day’s feast, Irwin wandered out into the gardens with a cold beer, looking for a quiet moment to relax before the next issue had to be resolved. He found a shady spot beneath a tree and sat down on the grass. He leaned against the trunk and listened to the sounds of birds and insects and found himself dozing off.

He was awoken by someone clearing their throat. He opened his eyes and saw Alwyn Skywing standing over him.

“Your Highness,” Alwyn said. “I’m sorry to interrupt but I have some news about the Duke of Meregwuold.”

Irwin stood up, dusting himself off. “What is it? Don’t tell me he’s not showing up until tomorrow.”

“Apparently, he’s already here.”

“At the palace?”

“No, in Karthied. He seems to have taken an earlier flight. He’s touring the city on his own. My people spotted him sampling cheeses at the Market in Southgate.”

Irwin took a deep, exasperated breathe. “So it’s showtime? I’ll meet him there.”

Alwyn bowed. “Good luck,” he told the prince humorlessly.

Duke Gaston had purchased at least a half dozen bags of cheese by time Irwin arrived at the market square to meet him. No one had yet realized who he was, just another wealthy noble. Irwin’s arrival flanked by a half dozen palace guards sent the feasters into a frenzy, and even more so when Irwin greeted the Duke by name.

“I’ve been made out,” Gaston said jovially. “And I thought I’d snuck in quite thoroughly.”

“I had planned to show you around Karthied anyway,” Irwin said, trying to match the Duke’s excitement. “Though maybe not this particular cheese market.”

The Duke patted Irwin on the back. “That’s why I didn’t announce myself. I wanted to see the real city.”

“Shall we,” Irwin asked, gesturing towards the waiting cars that would take them to the palace.

Gaston sighed. “Oh, I suppose. I did come here for a purpose, other than sampling cheese.” They made their way through the now excited crowd. Gaston’s people following him while Irwin’s cleared a path ahead.

“Where’s that lovely fiancé of yours,” Gaston asked, a roguish grin across his face.

“At home in Eborum. She’s busy planning the wedding.”

“That’s too bad, I’d hoped to meet the future Consort of Esplandia.”

Irwin made no reply but instead personally opened the door to the waiting car so the Duke could climb in. It was gonna be a long weekend for the prince.

Halsen an vi Sundra sprawled out along the coast, with white stone houses lined up in neat rows, and quaint flower gardens looking out to the sea. The residents just called the city Halsen, leaving out the pomp of its full name.

Amelia took it all in, the busy bay filled with sailboats and roads winding up into the hillside. The Palace of Hastenfrakta stood high atop a cliff, looking out over the water.

They’re arrival was met with a large crowd of Hastenfraktans, eager to meet the King of Esplandia. There was a lot of commotion and hubbub as the Esplandish royals made their way up the steps of the palace into the halls.

The festival of harvest had never warranted a ball in Karthied, but the Hastenfraktans were well known for their lavish gaiety. Amelia had every intention of enjoying herself.

She followed her father and mother, holding the hand of her sister, Silvia. Royal guard flanked them on each side, a handful wearing the wolf patch of the Huskavrls. She caught the eye of Tywin who was dressed in the gray and gold of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. She smiled at him and he gave her a curt nod.

They were all soon standing in the grand banquet hall of the palace, listening to the music and being greeted by the noble families of the northernmost Hastfradic nation.

Last edited:
Sherwin rarely felt alone, but today of all days he did. Even as the festivities flowed around him, even with his wife and two daughters here, he felt like he was adrift. A great weight sat on his conscious.

He had been trained since youth for his duties and so he made his greetings. Shook hands. Smiled. He did all that was required of him. At some point his wife had been whisked away by the Duchess of Lothelia, taking little Silvia along, and even Amelia had disappeared among the crowd.

Sherwin found himself standing alone for a moment, alone to his thoughts. He watched the party and tried to improve his mood. The worst place for a man with a guilty conscious was alone with his thoughts. He found himself studying a large Federation flag which had been hung on a wall.

The great Hastfradic Eagle stood resolute, it’s crown of seven stars hanging over it. It was a good design, though the stars weren’t his favorite. Six stars to represent the Erujakir and a seventh for Aela. He had argued for five stars of equal size to represent the five people’s of the Vestrugat.

“Majestic isn’t it?” Sherwin was interrupted in his thoughts, and he found the king of Hastenfrakta addressing him.

Raenhald was a thin man, four inches taller than Sherwin. He sported a thin, neatly trimmed beard which was beginning to gray. He smiled kindly at the old king, but Sherwin knew he was a man of weak character.

“It’s a strong symbol,” Sherwin said in response. “And I am glad to share it with your magnificent nation.”

Raenhald blinked, an odd reaction, though his smile never wavered. “I heard you took the time to see some of the sights?”

“My daughters have always wanted to see Kreggenburn, to walk the halls where Avalus ruled.”

“I’ve never been myself,” Raenhald stated flatly. There was no regret or even interest in his tone. “Perhaps Esmeralda has been. That’s sort of her thing.”

“And where is your wife?” Sherwin looked around the hall and spotted her quickly enough, speaking with a bunch of nobles and dignitaries, as well as the High Chancellor.

“She’s around,” he answered with disinterest. “She’d wanted for us both to meet everyone together, but I slipped away.”

Sherwin couldn’t help thinking that that was exactly what Raenhald should be doing, but he kept that thought to himself. He was saved from having to change the subject when the light background music stopped and a more traditional folk tune began to play.

“Will you join in on the Volkunhag?” Raenhald asked with his emotionless smile.

“I am much too old for dancing. The hip and the knees will force me to sit this one out.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” And for a second Sherwin felt like Raenhald’s smile was genuine. And also malefic.

Amelia had intended to stick with the rest of her family but she had been distracted by all the fancy dresses on display by the courtesans, that they had gotten ahead of her. When she realized she’d been left behind she decided to strike out on her own, so to speak, and enjoy herself.

She caught sight of Tywin from time to time, a dashing figure in his uniform. He was shadowing Amelia’s mother and younger sister, keeping a respectful distance away. Her mother seemed to be caught in a lively conversation with an older woman. She considered heading over to join in but decided to look for her father instead.

As she turned about she was approached by a young woman, a few years younger than herself. She seemed familiar and it took a few seconds before Amelia recognized her.

“Koralin,” she greeted the girl.

“Princess Katharin,” the young woman said in response.

Amelia curtsied. “I’m in your country, so I should call you princess and you should just call me Amelia.”

“Let’s just call each other by name then.”

Koralin then gave Amelia an affectionate hug. As they released each other the music changed to the Volkunhag, the traditional folk dance of Hastenfrakta.

Being polite Koralin held out her hand and asked, “Would you like to join me?”

Amelia was a bit embarrassed by the gesture, but wanting to be polite she accepted. Koralin lead her to the middle of the hall where others had begun to dance.

While Koralin lead, Amelia followed. She’d been learning and practicing for the dance over the last couple months in preparation for the festivities, but she’d not expected to be dancing with the Hastenfraktan Princess.

She caught sight of her mother as they twirled around the room. Her mother and the older woman she was talking with were looking their way, both with expressions of amusement in their faces.

Tywin was also watching, a wicked grin on his face. Amelia looked away and addressed Koralin. “You’re very good at this dance,” she said kindly.

“I’m expected to be,” Koralin said matter of factly. “You’re not too bad either.”

They moved through the steps, Amelia trying to match the music’s beat but feeling like she was off by just a fraction of a second. Soon she gave up and just followed the younger princesses’ lead.

“Isn’t it usually the man’s job to lead?” She asked.

“I know both parts,” Koralin answered. “Why, is there a young man you’d rather be dancing with?” She smiled mischievously.

“Oh, no. Dancing with you is quite alright.”

“Oh? Are you sure you wouldn’t rather dance with that young man?” Koralin spun Amelia around so that she was looking directly at Tywin, who was certainly enjoying watching the dance by the look on his face. Amelia spun back to face Koralin, her cheeks flushing with color. “There is something there then,” Koralin said, noticing Amelia’s blush.

“It’s not like that,” Amelia said, protesting. “He’s a good friend. He saved my life once.” What the he’ll had she gotten into, she thought to herself. She’d not expected Koralin to be this perceptive. This dance had been a trap.

“How romantic,” Koralin teased.

Amelia realized she wasn’t even close to matching the music anymore as she tried to keep up with Koralin’s dancing. She was flustered and distracted and trying hard not to completely mess up the steps.

“Why are you doing this?” Amelia asked.

“Because your not as smart as you think you are,” she answered, pleasantly enough. “None of you are.” And then Amelia found herself facing her father standing with the Hastenfraktan king. Her father had a troubled look on his face, and he met Amelia’s gaze, his eyes full of pity as if he knew what was happening. Perhaps he did.

And then she spun back to face Koralin again as the music, and the dance, ended. Koralin curtsied to Amelia and said, “Thank you for the dance.” And then she walked away, leaving Amelia to feel bewildered, and completely out of sorts.

Sherwin clapped as the dance ended, but he’d seen how uncomfortable his daughter had been. He’d heard that the Hastenfraktan princesses took after their mother. The worse for him.

Amelia was shocked, and hadn’t moved from her place even as the next piece of music began to play and more dancers moved out onto the floor. Sherwin caught Tywin’s eye and nodded towards his daughter, gesturing for him to see to her. The young man moved immediately to join her in the next dance.

Sherwin sighed. He supposed he’d put off the inevitable long enough. Whatever that dance had been about it was an obvious power play.

He turned to Raenhald and said, “It’s time I paid my respects to the hostess.”

Raenhald just shrugged and then lead the way. The guests moved out of the way of the two monarchs, bowing as they passed.

Queen Esmeralda was engaged in conversation with the High Chancellor as they approached but she politely excused herself and greeted Sherwin warmly.

“Has everything been to your liking, our dearest Grettermand Fadder?” She asked.

Sherwin heard no reproach in her voice and responded kindly. “All is well. Hastenfrakta is truly a home away from home.”

She gasped delightedly and clasped her hands to her chest. “I’m glad to hear it.”

Sherwin took a moment to greet the High Chancellor. Even though they’d just seen each other a few days ago it was best to always pay your respects. “I’m glad to see you well Klaus.”

The older man nodded firmly. “And I you, your majesty,” he responded.

Sherwin asked about his family and Klaus auf Hettenberg gave a curt, but polite response. Something had been said that had put him on edge. Sherwin didn’t press. The old man would tell him once he had a chance. So the king turned back to the queen and asked about her own family. He pretended not to notice as Raenhald walked away.

It didn’t matter. There was only one true monarch of the north, and she was pleasantly talking about her three daughters. A proud mother with wonderful children.

Esmeralda det Praustenberg was the only child of the man who’d held an equally strong claim to the throne against Garhald II’s claim. And war had seemed almost inevitable until a deal had been struck. A marriage to merge the two families.

But Garhald had been a weak ruler, and Esmeralda’s father was the true power in the kingdom. And upon his death he’d left his daughter in a position to claim that power for herself. And she did. She had been crowned as co-ruler alongside her husband, and quickly grasped the reigns of the nation.

Sherwin knew the kindly woman before him was truly a snake. And yet they’d never been enemies. Sometimes at odds, but more often than not they cooperated out of necessity. He wondered where her true intentions lay.

“Let’s get some air,” she said to Sherwin, taking his arm and leading him towards the balcony doors.

They left behind the party and walked out into the quiet coolness of a Hastenfraktan evening. Sherwin looked towards the ocean, a crescent moon reflected on calm waters.

“The lake in Karthied just doesn’t compare,” he said.

She gave a cursory glance at the ocean but seemed unfazed. She let go of his arm and stepped away, looking back towards the festivities still going on within. A couple people walked past, casting shadows out into the balcony.

“I’m sorry I didn’t attend your coronation in Nalgorhaem,” she said.

Sherwin was immediately on his guard. She’d brought up Alstenbek. He would be careful. “It was a painful experience after what had occurred. A very somber ordeal.”

“A fitting way for Sigurt to go out,” she stated.

“To die shortly after loosing his sons?” Sherwin asked in astonishment.

Esmeralda smiled wickedly. “No, to play the game and lose so spectacularly.”

“I’m not sure what your talking about,” Sherwin said impatiently.

“Let’s not pretend with each other,” she said in a comforting tone. “I know quite a bit. You don’t have to admit anything, but I learned the game when your mother was queen.”

Sherwin remained silent as he stared at her intently. She was very intelligent, but he was unsure how much she actually knew. He wasn’t about to trust her. “You want something,” he stated bluntly.

“I want us to be friends. Allies even. This Federation you’ve built has changed the Vestrugat irrevocably and Hastenfrakta needs to be part of that.” She paused, taking a moment as she stared away blankly, choosing her words. “You’ve made Esplandia the real power in the Vestrugat, something I’m loathe to accept, but accept it I will. I want you to know, whatever future you’re looking to build, I’m with you.”

“This is unexpected,” Sherwin responded after a moment of stunned silence. “And I’m not sure I buy it. I effectively broke your power base here in the north. Austalgotha no longer looks solely to you.”

She shrugged. “If it hadn’t been so masterfully done I’d be upset. As it stands, your mother would be proud.”

Sherwin didn’t respond, choosing instead to keep his thoughts to himself. She continued to watch the festivities, purposefully not looking towards him, letting the silence grow.

She was the first to speak. “I don’t expect you to trust me. But I am sincere. Hastenfrakta will support Esplandia.” She looked at him, her eyes twinkling bright in the light coming from inside. “I will support you.”

The rest of the day was as exciting, if less eventful, for Irwin as he and Gaston toured Karthied. The took in the sites but mostly visited some of cities premiere artisan food makers. For Gaston that meant Cheesemakers, and Breweries.

So they ate cheese and drank beer and Gaston was charming and kind to every person they met. He told jokes, laughed merrily, and listened intently to what others said. He genuinely seemed to love life. Irwin found himself enjoying the man’s company as the day continued.

The had a banquet that night at the palace with some of Esplandia’s most important men and women. Gaston was the life of the party. He regaled the guests with stories of his youth and of his hunting trips into the Mereg highlands. All were raptured.

Irwin found himself wondering about Gaston. His father’s adviser had warned him that Gaston was a man who hid his intentions well, yet he seemed so outgoing and personable.

Irwin decided he truly did like the Duke.

The next day was cloudy. The temperature had dropped from the warm day before. A reminder that the winter rains would soon be on their way.

Gaston was to speak before the Landesgrad of the Federation. He had requested this chance to make a statement. As a leader of one of the Vestrugatten nations he had the right.

Irwin escorted him to the newly renovated great hall (made larger to accommodate all the new representatives). They waited quietly as the Landesgrad was called to order, then a short speech by Raum Kolta about the harvest and hard work. Finally Gaston was introduced and invited up to speak.

Sherwin shook his hand and wished him luck, then joined Alwin Skywing at the head of the assembly.

Gaston climbed swiftly to the lectern, thanked Kolta, and turned to his fellow Vestrugatters. He began to speak.

“Today marks the end of Autumn in the Vestrugat. The celebration of the harvest. And this year has had a great harvest.

We have come closer together as a people. We have unified the Vestrugat. Hastfrad, Aernish, Jenovak, Skaltek, and Seraegnek. United under a single flag, a single purpose. Brothers and sisters of Vestrugatia.

Who thought we’d live to see that day? Truthfully, I did not think this day would come. Not only for my own people, but for all of us who call this land our home.

Later this year this august body will be discussing the state of our armed forces, and passing legislation that will reduce our active personnel. I want to instead caution against this move, and in fact, ask this body to think about our role in the world.

Eighty years ago we fought a bloody and divisive war over ideology. In response our leaders decided to focus on our issues at home, to prevent the unrest and disillusionment that lead to the Talamnic War. It was a policy of noninterventionism and it has made us stronger, more unified.

Why do we need a military, you have all asked yourselves. Icenia is at peace. We have no enemies. And the conflicts of world are so far away.

But conflicts have a way of spreading. Having allies means we risk being dragged into wars. That is a hard truth.

We cannot decrease our military and think to remain safe. We must increase our military spending, put more resources into research and development, and give more to our allies so that they don’t take on all our defensive responsibilities.

The Federation must be strong. And our staying out of the way of history will no longer suffice. Meregwuold calls on the Federation to stand up.

Our Grettermand Fadder Sherwin, our Raektdev, has unified us and prepared us for a better future. We should not let him down by fearing the rest of the world.”

Irwin found himself nodding in agreement to Gaston’s speech. For a while he too had come to believe that the Federation’s armed forces would need to be increased.

It was nice hearing the same sentiments come from someone else, to be spoken before the Landesgrad.

Now he just wondered how it would go over. The older members would be against. They were set in their ways and only saw the good old days while Katharin dominated politics. The younger members would be for a new direction.

Gaston’s speech would cause a division in the Landesgrad. Irwin would wait and see how things went down.

But it was Gaston’s closing statement that unnerved the prince. Raektdev, he’d said. No one had used that title since Braegga. To be the supreme ruler of the Hastfradic people? There’d been none since The Bear himself. To call his father that? It would cause trouble. Some had already been whispering that Sherwin intended to make himself an emperor. Gaston saying it out loud would only be confirmation for some. A challenge to others.

Irwin watched Gaston step down from the podium, as some in the crowd cheered. Others were silent, but others were talking with each other in angry whispers.

Gaston has passed by the prince as he made his way to the exit. He looked at Irwin and beed a jovial smile at him as if unaware of the turmoil he’d just caused.

Irwin knew without a doubt that the Duke was well aware of what he’d said.

Five men sat in the King’s office, silently sipping beers. Sherwin and Irwin has both made reports on what had gone down over the holiday and as both stories unfolded the rest listened. Sherwin had returned to Karthied the day before, and quickly called on his closest friends. He’d heard Gaston’s speech by now and decided an impromptu council was needed.

Finally there was silence for a time, Irwin finishing telling about Gaston’s speech and reporting on how the news was already focused on the words of his closing statement.

“I know it was intentional,” Irwin finished. “Calling you Raektdev, but I don’t think it was malicious.”

Baeleg Gent coughed. “Gaston is a likeable man. Are you sure you’ve got his character?”

Irwin shrugged, obviously unsure of his own feelings on the matter. Alwyn Skywing and Raum Kolta remained silent. “It was meant to goad us, or unbalance us,” the King said. “But whatever his intentions, something is going down in Meregwuold.”

“Should I send agents to root him out?” Alwyn asked.

“No. Not yet anyway.”

Again there was silence as the men present thought things over. It was Raum Kolta who spoke this time. He addressed the king. “Do you believe Esmeralda is genuine in her support?”

The king took a second to respond, mulling over his response.” “Yes,” he answered at last, “but I don’t trust her anyway. She sees the way the winds blowing and is trying to come out ahead.”

“Either way,” interjected Alwyn, “She needs to be watched more closely.”

Sherwin nodded an affirmative in response. It had been an eventful last couple of days. And the King had a sneaking suspicion that things had only begun to wind up.

Back