-
Pronouns
He/His/Him
TNP Nation
Prydania
Discord
lordgigaice
Two months ago

Magnus Brandt shot Harald Daaé a look of concern as William Aubyn finished his speech to the assembled cabinet, split between the recently re-unified Conservative-Agrarian members on one side of the mahogany conference table, and the Free Democrats on the other.

"This 'National Union Party' initiative...don't you think it's a bit unwieldy? Our parties traditionally have had their differences. With the King calling an election? There might be too much working against all of us on a single, unified ticket."

William sat back in his chair.
"We were allies through the Civil War. We've governed effectively together since the end of the war. Unifying all of our parties behind one banner will provide the stability we need as a country as we move forward. I'm sure we can work out any disputes internally."

"Democracy isn't stable though, isn't that the point?" Brandt said, speaking up. Technically speaking? He wasn't a member of the Provisional cabinet. He was the Ambassador to the PGU. Still, he had been invited to the meeting by the Liberal members of the cabinet. Harald had cautioned him about being too forward due to his outsider status. So much for that.

"Democracy gives the mandate to the people, and the people's needs change over time, do they not? The Conservative-Agrarian-FD cabinet has worked well, but the needs of a nation clawing back from civil war are not the needs of a nation ready to reclaim its democracy."

William's expression turned a bit annoyed, looking at the PGU ambassador.
"We've proven resilient as a group, Magnus. We stuck together, and adapted, through the Civil War. We navigated the minefield of crisis that came with governing the nation immediately after the Syndicalists fell. Have a little faith in our collective abilities."

Magnus furled his brow just a bit...
"It's not a lack of faith that troubles me William, it's fear. Prydania has been ruled by fascists, and it's been ruled by Syndicalists. Both of which imposed their own one-party dictatorships on the electorate. Now, just as the King has called for the first free elections to be held this millennium you want to assemble a party that would easily crush any competition."

"What are you implying, Magnus?"

"Let's not mince words William. A Conservative-Agrarian-Liberal ticket will be unstoppable in the current political climate. This Social Democratic People's Party is the only notable group forming outside of us three, and they'll have too little time to make much of an impact for this election."

He paused, before collecting himself.
"It would be a tragedy for our re-born democracy to establish a de facto single party capable of winning every election handedly for the next ten years."

He looked around at the collective cabinet.
"I'm prepared to resign my post as His Majesty's Ambassador to the PGU to aide the Liberal Party in whatever way I can to help it run its own ticket."

"You want to challenge a working system just for the sake of challenging it?" William asked grimly.
"I never took you for a contrarian."

"It's not contrarianism William. It's giving the people of this country a choice. Otherwise why even bother with elections at all?"

Magnus had thought about adding "and declaring you Prime Minister for life" but thought better of it. For all of his faults? William Aubyn was a man who had sacrificed much in the name of ending Syndicalist tyranny. He wouldn't cross that line.

The tension in the room simmered before Harald Daaé spoke up.
"This is something the Liberal caucus will have to discuss William."

William nodded grimly.
"Of course."

The Free Democrat cabinet members stood, exiting the room to confer over the future of their party.

[img=533,300]https://i.imgur.com/h6hBp06.png[/img]​

Magnus Brandt sipped some water as William Aubyn finished answering the moderator's question. The table they were all seated at was an old mahogany piece. Sturdy.
He watched Annie Gram out of the corner of his eye. He had to be quick. Very few potential Social Democratic votes were coming out of the Conservative-Agrarian voting bloc Aubyn was appealing to.

"Ultimately, we need to take stock of where we are and promote stable government going forward" Aubyn replied. "Again, the government has grandfathered in all same-sex couples married under the Syndicalist regime. Full legalized same-sex marriage, however, isn't something we should leap into. The government needs to take stock of all Syndicalist policies to evaluate which ones are worthy of revisiting going forward. Most were not."

"Are you trying to compare legalized same-sex marriage to collectivized agriculture or township purges?" Annie Gram replied indignantly? "That's absurd, Mr. Prime Minister."

"I think we all need to keep in mind" Brandt said, interjecting, "that same-sex marriage is ultimately about personal liberty. It's not imposed, it's about providing freedom. The Syndicalist regime oversaw many horrid policies, but we shouldn't let them scare us from embracing a modern, just society, William. I understand, I truly do. Caution is appealing, but how can we stand on the brink of progress and not act? Especially as those that are effected are asking us why their rights as Prydanians are in some ways lesser now then they were under the tyranny we all worked so hard to overcome?"

"I'm under no obligation to consider the pleas of people who assume our government- which has rebuilt this country and continues to rebuild this country- is in any way worse then the previous regime that literally executed dissenters and burnt farmland to punish communities, Magnus" Aubyn shot back.
"To those LGBT Prydanians, I ask them for perspective and patience."

"You're holding them hostage" Gram shot back, prompting Brandt to interject again.

"You cannot expect a person who had the right to marry under the Syndicalist regime to be patient as you contemplate whether or not they really deserve that right, Mr. Prime Minister. Yes, let's review the Syndicalist regime to ensure we're not lead back down the path of tyranny, but let's all be upfront and honest about this one matter. It's a simple matter of equality. So let's fix this oversight so we can truly get to work building a modern society here in Prydania."

William raced for something to say, but just as he was about to open his mouth? The moderator had moved on, sensing the period of silence as an opportunity to move on.

"And now for out next question. The Korovan issue. The crisis in Korova has lead to an influx of refugees..."

vfI74o6.png

This is RÚV with an Election 2018 update! It is now 9:25 Beaconsviði time. Polls are scheduled to close at 9:30, and we can expect the initial returns soon afterwards.

We are reaching the end of one of the most intense days since the end of the Civil War as the Army and police braced for potential unrest. A Syndicalist bomb plot was uncovered late last night, but the election itself has been mostly peaceful and incident-free.

The election looks to come down to the wire as Prime Minister William Aubyn's Conservative-Agrarian Alliance and Magnus Brandt's Free Democrats have been polling neck-and-neck for the past three weeks.

vfI74o6.png

"So you don't feel the FLF will challenge the Bandalag?"
"No, I really don't. The Conservatives may have a fight on their hands against the Free Democrats in the cities, but the Agrarians will return nearly every rural constituency."
"Polling seems to suggest that the FLF could challenge the Agrarians in some rural seats."
"Yes, but the Agrarians have won the propaganda war on the ground. Yes, yes, all three parties were part of the FNU resistance, but the Agrarians have managed to make themselves the face of the resistance among rural communities. They represent a great green wall that will return a number of seats to Aubyn. His Bandalag will be able to form a government off the back of that. Mark my words."
"So what effect will this have, if they're able to push the Bandalag over the line?"
"Well I would expect the government to stray to the right. Aubyn will have to consider the will of his Agrarian MPs."

scenes from the campaign; William Aubyn at a campaign rally in Haland

gaBXzc4.png

We turn to Beaconsviði-Vestbro where Annie Gram looks to make history by securing a seat for the upstart Social Democrats.
Current returns have her holding a slight lead over Free Democrat candidate Jannik Bendixen. Ms. Gram had this to say just one day ago.

"Tonight is the eve of a new dawn for our country! And tomorrow is when we decide as a nation to move forward into it! Make a new choice! Let's leave the old politics behind us!"

ZKHqPLS.png

Prime Minister of the outgoing Provisional Government, William Aubyn, maintains a solid lead in the constituency of Beaconsviði-Baldrsberg.

kUqOCbW.png

It appears that the Free Democratic Party is holding steady with the Agrarians in a number of rural constituencies.
The great green wall, the seemingly impenetrable bulwark for the Conservative-Agrarian Alliance, seems to be facing a far healthier assault then first expected.

We can confirm that Magnus Brandt has secured victory in the constituency of Keris-Bygdø with 72% of the vote with 81% having been counted.
This is just the latest round of good news for the Free Democratic leader, whose party is outperforming expectations in rural constituencies.

UubW31x.png

Last edited:
We can call Beaconsviði-Baldrsberg for William Aubyn. Aubyn has secured his constituency with 67% of the vote with 96% reporting.
Aubyn finds himself battling for control of the Parliament as returns indicate a tougher-than-expected Free Democratic surge.

kUqOCbW.png

And finally we feel as if we can confidently call a slim Free Democratic majority among the seats up for election.
It appears as if Magnus Brandt's Free Democrats have won 93 of the 182 seats up election.
The Conservative-Agrarian Alliance of provisional government Prime Minister William Aubyn has won 87 seats.
The Social Democrats under Annie Gram have won two seats, including Ms. Gram's constituency of Beaconsviði-Vestbro.

These results are certainly a shock, as the Free Democrats were able to win a number of rural seats to give them a slight edge over the combined Conservative and Agrarian totals.

The results are far from conclusive, however. The Free Democratic majority is slim enough that the thirty peer seats in Parliament can still swing the balance of power back to the Conservative-Agrarian Alliance.

Last edited:
Tobias replayed the video over again. Duke Mathies Jórvík, selected to speak for the peers, announcing that they would back the Free Democrats in forming a majority government. Ending any hope that the Conservative-Agrarian Alliance could turn their slim defeat around.
The Duke, a long-time ally of the Royalist cause through the Civil War, spoke on the need to respect the results of the democratic vote. Tobias sighed. There were so few nobles left in Prydania thanks to the the War. He'd personally knighted twenty people to fill out the thirty seats traditionally afforded to peers in the Parliament. Many were his close friends. Others were those who distinguished themselves in the War. He shook his head. How could they have done this? Here was a chance to keep William on as Prime Minister, keep things stable...and they threw it away. He hadn't even been consulted! He replayed the video of the Duke of Jórvík's announcement.

No matter. He'd do it himself. If they wouldn't listen? He'd force them to.
"Prime Minister Aubyn has arrived" the steward announced. Tobias, seated at his desk, bit his lower lip and nodded. His stomach was in knots, but he was determined to be strong. See this through to the end.

William was let in, looking a bit more ragged than usual, but still in good spirits. He took a seat across from the King. His King. And also the young man he'd raised for fifteen years. He just offered a soft smile as the awkward silence built.

"Well I've had better nights" he finally said with a smirk, in an effort to defuse the tension.
Tobias, however, was not having it.

"I'm not going to do it" he replied softly. William's tone went from tired but pleasant to concerned.
"You're not going to do what?"

"I'm not going to ask you step down as Prime Minister. And I'm not inviting Magnus Brandt to form a government."

"Tobias...Your Majesty" William corrected himself..."with all due respect, you can't do that."

"Yes, I can. I'm King. I can do that. I have a duty to do that! When...when things go wrong! I have a duty to try and fix them! Now that I can fix them..."

"Things didn't go wrong" William replied, adjusting himself in his chair.
"I lost an election. I've lost them before. It's not the end of the world..."

"Yes, it is" Tobias replied, his heart racing.
"I'm not going to let some vote...take you." His eyes were beginning to water.
"I'm not going anywhere Tobias, you know that" William replied. He wasn't expecting Tobias to act this way. He'd assumed...he knew...he trained him to be a ruler, as best he could. And instill a sense of duty beyond personal desires.

"No..." Tobias replied.
"Not like this. You and I...we were supposed to do this together. We did so much! And now...now..." he sighed to keep himself from bursting into tears.
"You were always going to be there..."

"I will, Tobias" William smiled. Anything you need of me. I'll be here."

Tobias steeled himself and stood, straightening his uniform. It was expected he wear this bloody thing for occasions such as this.
William stood too, smiling faintly.

"Tobias, I'm so very proud of who you've become" he said, patting his King's shoulders.
"It gives me a great deal of honour to formally say to you that I am resigning as Prime Minister of your government following the results of our most recent election."
Now it was William's turn to fight back tears, but he didn't have much of a chance. Tobias hugged him tight....

"Thank you so much William. For everything."

William nodded, hugging his surrogate son. Everything from the past sixteen years. War, pain, joy...every birthday, every sombre moment, every lesson...William couldn't hold it back, crying just a bit.
"I love you Toby" he whispered, before the embrace was broken. He padded his eyes with his handkerchief.
"But I'm afraid I have to let you get to your business. Magnus is probably waiting."

Tobias nodded.
"You'll be a phonecall away" he stated, more to confirm it himself.
William nodded, "absolutely" he said as he waved his Azule phone casually, hugging Tobias one last time before finally leaving. Tobias wiped away the tears, again straightening his uniform as he took a soft walk around his office before finally calling for the steward.

"You can send Mr. Brandt in" he said, with a weary tone.
"Of course Your Majesty" the steward replied, before shortly returning.
"Mr. Magnus Brandt."

Tobias stood there, trying to look stately as Magnus entered. He was a jolly looking man. A white beard that reminded one of Father Christmas and an infectious smile.
"Your Majesty" he said with a bow.
"Mr. Brandt" Tobias replied with a smile. Magnus took this as a sign to approach, full of enthusiasm.
"I'm very excited at the opportunities we both have before us!" he said, taking a seat.
Tobias, rather than sitting at his desk, took the seat next to Magnus.

"I remember. You had a very...enthusiastic...campaign."

"Very much Your Majesty, very much! We're on the brink of something great Your Majesty. Prydania can be something truly special if we work together."

Tobias nodded.
"Well it would be my honour" he said, overcoming a wave of nerves, "to ask you to serve as the Prime Minister for the Kingdom of Prydania."

Magnus nodded.
"It would be my honour to accept, Your Majesty."

Magnus stood, bowing again before taking his leave. Tobias immediately began to unbutton the collar of his military tunic now that he had a moment to himself. He grabbed a photo album from his bookshelf, and collapsed on the couch. He began to thumb through the memories. One last indulgence before both he and the nation entered a bold, new era.

OOC: [completed]

Last edited:
Back