Worldbuilder
-
TNP Nation
Goyanes
Discord
goya#6469
January 4th 2578
New Atlanta, Greater Georgia, The Confederacy

Zebulon Beauregard Gordon sat down at his desk. There were two TV cameras, and about ten radio microphones. In a heavy Georgian accent he said "Are y'all ready?" The press members quickly nodded, and small red lights turned on from various recording devices in the room.

"My fellow Southerners. Today is a great day for the Confederacy. As we speak, troops of the first, second, and fifth expeditionary corps, as well as numerous other military divisions, have crossed the Mississippi River from Orleans province into what was known by our ancestors long ago as 'south Texas'."

He beckoned an assistant, who pulled a map forwards, for the two cameramen to see and record for the newsreels.

"Our troops have moved from Vicksburg, Natchez, Redstick, and Orleans City into the region. Their objectives will not be released for strategic reasons, but as we make progress, we will announce it, as it comes by the radio, in numerous press releases. Ultimately, this expansion effort will add to our production capacity, and will heighten our quality of life here in Dixie."

He coughed before continuing.

"Remember, ladies and gentlemen, God is on our side."

He pointed at himself then at the camera.

"Our side. God save Dixie!"

The broadcasters ceased the recording after those final words.

January 1, 2578
Redstick, Orleans
Letter from PFC Charles Austin to his wife, Ann Marie

Ann Marie,

The last several days were spent ferrying the troops and equipment across the river using reaction cable ferries that were constructed by the Corps of Engineers well before this scheduled offensive. Early this morning my troop crossed the ol' Miss. We were the last troop to cross in the main wave. We started driving in our APC's down the river to known points, securing towns and villages, and helping set up a rudimentary navigation and comms system.

The cold wave that has come through here gave us sleet and freezing rain. Cold wind is whipping us as well. The higher ups say that the weather should clear and get warmer within the next week. I hope it does, It can't be this miserable for long. At least the 'taters are good. Colonel Winthrop says they're imported from Grand Columbia. Interesting, huh?

Anyways, I love you very much. Make sure the girls don't get up to anything dumb.

-Charles

January 5th 2578
Jennings, Trans-Mississippi Territory
Diary of PFC Charles Austin

Today we encountered our first substantial settlement. There was fighting. About a quarter of the town took our side. They told us all the places we needed to know. At first, the chiefs were apprehensive, but as the information was proven to be reliable, more trust was given to them. We pushed through the town. We had to take POW's to keep casualties at a minimum. They were loaded onto a train and sent towards Orleans City. We also stumbled upon a military base from the pre-flash times. My squad is getting sent in tomorrow for a salvage operation.

January 7th 2578
Jennings AFB, Trans-Mississippi

The salvage operation went well. Spotter planes couldn't find any settlements or people for miles, so we are making our way to the next settlement that the recon planes saw, about 100 miles to the west south west. We don't know what to expect of this place though. We are stopping for the night in a clearing. Troops will be rotating guard duties.

January 9th, 2578
Outskirts of Houston, Texas

Intense fighting has begun. The Air Force has been dropping troops in on parachutes all day, and more troops are arriving. It seems Texas did not unify, instead becoming a collection of city states. This should make the battle easier, should we form pacts with other cities. Blockbusters were dropped on several locations. The Mayor has capitulated, but the residents have taken the fight for themselves. I don't think i'll ever be the same after I saw that girl crying next to her dead mother.

As Buford Pickens said, "Sometimes we must remember that there is a greater struggle at hand. We must forget our personal issues for once and fight for the good of Dixie."

I like to think of General Pickens' writings when I need motivation, second only to the Holy Bible though. He was certainly a wise man. He's with God now though.

January 19, 2578
Houson, Texas

Houston has been successfully taken, at minimal loss to the HAC. We're moving on, however reinforcements have arrived to hold the city, as the rest of us press forwards. Our battalions will be heading south-southeast towards Galveston to secure the refineries and the city. At this rate, we'll have Texas in no time. Thank Jesus.

Back