Tu iudex eris

Limerick1

The Legal Eagle
Tu iudex eris

By: Limerick1
Sponsored by: MoComm

Disclaimer: The opinions extended in this article are not necessarily representative of the views of the court as a whole and is not meant as a commentary to any individual nor any party.

Everyone knows the importance to vote for our great regions Delegate and Vice Delegate. And on a more disconnected note, most people know the importance of our various ministers as well as their responsibilities they must be held too. The question is whether or not the courts responsibilities are widely known as well as whether or not the amount of power given to the court is understood. Perhaps it is anecdotal evidence but consider this, in the recently closed election to fill a vacancy in the court, 66 votes were cast in total, 10 being abstentions. The sobering fact is that in the General Elections, 68 votes were cast for one candidate for delegacy alone. That leads me on to the title of this article being Tu iudex eris which is “You be the judge” in latin. Why latin you may ask, because it makes me feel like a legal scholar so please allow my self confidence booster.

So first let's enumerate the responsibilities of the court. Court officials are called on to be as close to experts as possible regarding the different Legal documents in TNP. This would include the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Codes, Multiple Procedures, as well as a host of different treaties negotiated with other regions. Why is this important? Well as anyone who has taken a gander around our legal archives would know, there's a lot to know. Many people don’t have the time nor the willpower to read, dissect, and understand these documents. It is imperative however that Justices do put in the time and work to do this as it is vital in order to perform their job. This job is to protect the integrity of these documents and to give citizens a platform to challenge government overreach. By interpreting these documents and ruling on ambiguities in the law, it allows perhaps weaker legislation to remain flexible. And the legislation doesn’t have to be weak. Legislation cannot account for all happenings and situations different than the ones thought of when being authored. Once again the court allows these pieces of legislation to be flexible and to have their ambiguities addressed. The courts Request for Review function allows citizens to bring forward perhaps unjust Laws as well as have the Court review the actions of Government officials in an effort to keep the government accountable.

I admit that the overview I gave regarding the courts responsibilities was quite brief, I urge the reader to please review the courts responsibilities outlined in our legal documents. I can only hope that by encouraging this kind of research, we as a region will see voter participation rise in Judicial elections. The truth is that we as a region cannot neglect these judicial elections. The court has some major responsibilities and have the power to set precedent for the rest of the TNP’s existence. It is not enough to just vote for a justice, you must read and understand the candidates platforms and decide for yourself whether they are qualified for the position should they be elected.

With this article, I call on those who haven’t researched the topic already, to read up on our courts responsibilities. And when the time does come to elect our justices, we must remember the power we vest in our choice. And thus make the best choice for us.

I would like to note hear at the end of my article that in no way was this article meant to be a commentary on the latest judicial election as this article was planned before the beginning of the election. In order to avoid possible influence on the voters in the election seeing as I was a candidate, I chose to delay the release of this article until the conclusion of the election. I am grateful for the opportunity extended to me but i will always call on our citizens to do their research and to make the best possible choice for them.

Tu iudex eris

Disclaimer: The opinions extended in this article are not the official view of The Court of the North Pacific or the Government of The North Pacific

The importance of participating in the elections for Delegate and Vice Delegate as a candidate and a voter are well known. Most people are well aware of the importance of our various ministers; their responsibilities and the standard to which they must be held. The question that needs to be answered is whether or not the Court's responsibilities are widely known and if the extent of the Court's power is well understood. Perhaps it is anecdotal evidence but consider this, in the recently closed election to fill a vacancy in the court, 66 votes were cast in total, 10 being abstentions. The sobering fact is that in the General Elections, 68 votes were cast for one candidate for the Delegacy alone. The title of this article is "Tu iudex eris" which is “You be the judge” in latin. This title was inspired by the sobering participation in our recent elections. Why latin you may ask. It is simply because it allows me to feel like a legal scholar, so please indulge my self confidence booster.

First we will enumerate the responsibilities of the court. Court officials are called on to be as close to experts as possible regarding the different legal documents enacted by The North Pacific. This would include the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Codes, various procedures, and a host of different treaties negotiated with other regions. Why is this important? Well as anyone who has taken a gander around our legal archives would know, there's a lot to know. Many people simply do not have the time nor the willpower to read, dissect, and understand these documents. They do not have the knowledge to contemplate the context in which they were enacted. It is imperative however that candidates for Justice and Attorney General do put in the time and work to do this as it is vital for them to perform their duties. It is the Court's responsibility to protect the integrity of these documents and to give citizens a platform to challenge government overreach. By interpreting these documents and ruling on ambiguities in the law, it allows weaker legislation to remain flexible. And the legislation doesn’t necessarily need to be weak for this to hold true. Legislation cannot account for all happenings and situations different than the ones contemplated when the bill was passed by the Regional Assembly. Once again, it is the Court that allows these pieces of legislation to be flexible and to have their ambiguities addressed. The Court's "Request for Review" function allows citizens to bring forward laws they feel to be unjust or unconstitutional, and to have the Court review the actions of Government officials in an effort to keep the Government accountable for their actions and overreach.

While this overview of the Court's responsibilities is quite brief, I urge the reader to consider further review and contemplation of the Court's responsibilities outlined in our legal documents. I can only hope that by encouraging this kind of research, we as a region will see greater voter participation in our judicial elections. The truth is that we as a region cannot afford to neglect these elections. The Court has major responsibilities and the power to set precedent that could prove influential for years to come. It is not enough to just vote for a candidate for Justice. Citizens must read and understand the candidates platforms and decide for yourself whether they are qualified for the position should they be elected. Citizens must believe that the officials they choose understand the gravity of the position and the significance of the laws they are responsible for interpretating and enforcing.

With this article, I call on those who haven’t researched the topic already, to read up on our courts responsibilities. And when the time does come to elect our justices, we must remember the power we vest in our choice. And thus make the best choice for us.

I would like to note hear at the end of my article that in no way was this article meant to be a commentary on the latest judicial election as this article was planned before the beginning of the election. In order to avoid possible influence on the voters in the election seeing as I was a candidate, I chose to delay the release of this article until the conclusion of the election. I am grateful for the opportunity extended to me but i will always call on our citizens to do their research and to make the best possible choice for them.

Tu iudex eris

Disclaimer: The opinions extended in this article are not the official view of The Court of the North Pacific or the Government of The North Pacific

The importance of participating in the elections for Delegate and Vice Delegate as a candidate and a voter are well known. Most people are well aware of the importance of our various ministers; their responsibilities and the standard to which they must be held. The question that needs to be answered is whether or not the Court's responsibilities are widely known and if the extent of the Court's power is well understood. Perhaps it is anecdotal evidence but consider this, in the recently closed election to fill a vacancy in the court, 66 votes were cast in total, 10 being abstentions. The sobering fact is that in the General Elections, 68 votes were cast for one candidate for the Delegacy alone. The title of this article is "Tu iudex eris" which is “You be the judge” in latin. This title was inspired by the sobering participation in our recent elections. Why latin you may ask. It is simply because it allows me to feel like a legal scholar, so please indulge my self confidence booster.

First we will enumerate the responsibilities of the court. Court officials are called on to be as close to experts as possible regarding the different legal documents enacted by The North Pacific. This would include the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Codes, various procedures, and a host of different treaties negotiated with other regions. Why is this important? Well as anyone who has taken a gander around our legal archives would know, there's a lot to know. Many people simply do not have the time nor the willpower to read, dissect, and understand these documents. They do not have the knowledge to contemplate the context in which they were enacted. It is imperative however that candidates for Justice and Attorney General do put in the time and work to do this as it is vital for them to perform their duties. It is the Court's responsibility to protect the integrity of these documents and to give citizens a platform to challenge government overreach. By interpreting these documents and ruling on ambiguities in the law, it allows weaker legislation to remain flexible. And the legislation doesn’t necessarily need to be weak for this to hold true. Legislation cannot account for all happenings and situations different than the ones contemplated when the bill was passed by the Regional Assembly. Once again, it is the Court that allows these pieces of legislation to be flexible and to have their ambiguities addressed. The Court's "Request for Review" function allows citizens to bring forward laws they feel to be unjust or unconstitutional, and to have the Court review the actions of Government officials in an effort to keep the Government accountable for their actions and overreach.

While this overview of the Court's responsibilities is quite brief, I urge the reader to consider further review and contemplation of the Court's responsibilities outlined in our legal documents. I can only hope that by encouraging this kind of research, we as a region will see greater voter participation in our judicial elections. The truth is that we as a region cannot afford to neglect these elections. The Court has major responsibilities and the power to set precedent that could prove influential for years to come. It is not enough to just vote for a candidate for Justice. Citizens must read and understand the candidates platforms and decide for yourself whether they are qualified for the position should they be elected. Citizens must believe that the officials they choose understand the gravity of the position and the significance of the laws they are responsible for interpretating and enforcing.

I would like to note here at the end of my article that in no way was this article meant to be a commentary on the latest judicial election as this article was planned before the beginning of the election. In order to avoid possible influence on the voters in the election seeing as I was a candidate, I chose to delay the release of this article until the conclusion of the election. I am grateful for the opportunity extended to me but i will always call on our citizens to do their research and to make the best possible choice for them.

----------------------------------------

fixed a spelling error

Back