Fading Laurels

Norsia

Registered
Discord
Norsia#3647
05/30/2018

Alycia watched the senates current session from the comfort of her office, but it was not a comfort she couldn't bear to sit down as they debated their current legislation absolutely seething and gritting her teeth as she paced back and forth in short paces trying to figure out the best course of action. in the few months they had been in power the Senate had already made so bold to their positions to question Alycia's authority and decrees, even now assuming they have authority to know what is best for [note]The Crown[/note]die Krone. to even indirectly pressure her to not get friendly with the Prydanian King. And they have already threatened to renege the supreme law of the right to bear arms, without Alycias required presence. but Alycia was still unsure, still hesitant on the best course of action, or perhaps the best wrong one.

As if to answer a prayer she didn't even make, Colart entered the room unannounced with a stack of papers and dropped it onto her desk. "Here is what you asked for, your Grace. Police reports, eyewitness statements, informant reports. Evidence documented and filed down to the last detail, enough for trial and convictions of seven different senators, and hints towards others we can investigate. If you are still debating action like you were hours ago, do you take this as your answer?" "Names, now."
"Ulrich Leiber, Peter Rott, Rita Sperling, Hanna Shultze. Teodor Korinek, Ivan Nemec, and Anezka Valkova. And according to two separate informants, Hanna Shultze and Anezka Valkova have Abel Caillats favor, draw from that what you will."

Alycia stopped finally and looked at Colart with the same angry look on her face. "Do you have the required warrants?" "Of course." Colart quickly replied not missing a second "just say the word, Your Grace." Alycia and Colart both looked towards the TV to see Recess being called. Alycia looked back to Colart "We have an hour to get me ready and across that street.. Help me with the Regalia."

An Hour passes as as the Senators ready themselves to head back into session on the strike of the new hour.
The doors opened to the senate chamber and the senators filed in with Abel Caillat leading the way. Abel stopped halfway down and dead in his tracks causing the rest to stop and check what is going on.
Alycia sat there in the Prime Ministers misplaced and appropriated chair. practically shining in full regalia, her long coat covered in her ribbons, and gold braids. her Coat of Arms rested proudly on the left shoulder drape of her coat. the Wolfzepter in her left dominant hand, and what appears to be a wolf ornamented cane sword in the other, her posture in the chair and the look on her face gave off an imperious and agitated air. For a few seconds she looked around the amassed shocked and frozen senators. She raised her voice from the silence with a similar tone to her body language, thoroughly pissed off.
"Talk of matters that directly affect or interfere in the matters of die Krone or die Krone family, or whom I pursue romantically to continue MY family and how I do it, or who would inherit my Krone, is treason. any who speak of it set themselves against the legitimate authority of die Krone and the [note]Wolf Scepter; a historically, nationally and religiously significant relic to the Norsians that embodies majesty and unfettered Authority.[/note]Wolfzepter, ordained by the Gods. I will have no further speak of it, you will not take one step further into this room where chaos is devised."

"This is a house of representation of the people, you represent the masses. you help guide them, shelter them and protect them. You do not host juvenile squall and infighting! You are like starved jackals at the last chunk of flesh on a corpse! And do not think for a second I have not seen the corruption of this senate, the absolute betrayal of the people for personal gains! This Senate is too easily lobbied, too easily bought, too easily swayed to vote one extreme or another." Alycia paused again as she stood up from the head speakers chair. "I should have predicted this, but I did not. I should have let the people decide for themselves from the very beginning. and I did not. Chaos I have inadvertently sown." She slammed down the butt of her cane-sword onto the tiled floor making it echo. "I have no confidence in this senate, nor you in my forever unsure heart.. Empowered by the constitution I do, As Konigin of the Commonwealth of Norsia, Konigin of Norsia, Konigin of Senheberg and Konigin of Trien, [note]Lady/Lord Marshal is a royal/nobility title that identifies the holder as not only the highest law, but the highest ranking officer of the military.[/note]Lady Marshal of Lusovo, and Protector of the Wolfzepter, use my Royal prerogative. Recognized by the People of the Fatherland and ordained by the Gods, to dissolve this corrupted senate, at once!"

The senators begin to uproar louder than before Abel going so far as to call out "You cannot do this! this is a breach of the public trust! You will bring down the whole government!"

"Wrong! you and your under-table deals are a breach of the public trust, and I fully intend to uncover every single one of such deals. And I already have several warrants made for arrests. As Lady Marshal of Lusovo and Konigin of the commonwealth I open criminal investigations on every single senator of this house, to be carried out by national security services. and No senator is to leave this cities limits until such evidence is found or the lack thereof. to do so is an admission of guilt, and I expect nothing but cooperation with investigators. Now leave this disgraced chamber and go home, and good day. and pray I do not summon you."

With those last words Alycia nodded to a Norsian Military Police officer and he opened a piece of paper and began to read aloud those who were wanted for arrest and what they were charged with as Alycia walked down off of the elevated floor plinth, walking out through the front doors of the chamber, her Whiteguard shielding her from any senator hands that may have strayed, but most senators surrendered to her decision and bowed in respect, others only because it was proper social grace.
the ones who were named by the MP officer were being put into handcuffs by other MP's, willingly or not. Senator Volkava struggled and resisted in the exchange and was promptly brought down to the floor harshly. let it be said that Norsian justice is not gentle to non compliance.

Gabriel closed the door behind him and took two steps into Alycia's study.
"You wanted to see me, Your Grace?"

Alycia lifted her head from her desk and the mountain of paperwork that had been strewn around her desk in a disorderly mess. A first for her.
No need of titles Gabriel. Please sit.."

Gabriel tilted his head slightly as he tried to process what was happening in the moment even as he went to sit down.
“Forgive me Alycia, but I am a bit confused.."

I've made horrible mistakes” the Queen continued.
I thought I had it covered and all planned out, but I was absolutely wrong.” She took a deep breath. She wasn’t sure how to proceed now that the moment she had planned for was here. She steeled herself and decided to just say it.

I need your help."
She took a piece of paper bearing both the Royal seal and seal of the Ministry. and slid it over to Gabriel.
"I lack a Prime Minister. Sign this and you’ll fill in the gap that Abel has left.
She sank back into her chair.
I can’t trust myself with absolute rule” she said solemnly, realizing what her mother obviously hadn’t. Thankfully she had realized it before it was too late.

Gabriel looked up at her as he took the pen and hovered it over the signature line.
“You want me to be your fail-safe?"
He had his own misgivings. In many ways this felt like him being asked to clean up a mess he had no part in making.

Alycia nodded, seeing some hesitation in Gabriel.
I want you to be my Prime Minister. Complete with all of the powers and privileges that come with that."

Gabriel looked around for a second in thought before he signed the paper and slid it back along with the pen.
“Since I am now your Prime Minister, might I make a few suggestions?"

Alycia nodded with a smile.
Yes, suggest them."
“You say you made a mistake in dissolving the Senate? Then call on it to reconvene. Before you do that, however, we should review and amend the constitution as we deem necessary. For our problem may lie in loopholes that need to be addressed. Don't trust the Senate to do what it needs to do? Then don’t make trust them with every issue.”

Alycia looked up curiously. She wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from Gabriel but she was a bit surprised he wanted the Senate back at all.
I suppose the exonerated need not lose their seats. Dissolving them in the first place ought to serve a good reminder that I am watching.” She nodded, reassuring herself. before continuing.
“And I agree, we should take a look at the constitution. What vision do you have for the Senate?” she asked curiously. She wondered what a moderate Syndicalist would have in mind, exactly.

"Simple” Gabriel replied with a shrug as he leaned back in his chair.
“What the Cogorians seem to do. We tackle an issues first. If we cannot agree, we pass it down to the Senate to break our deadlock. Think of it as a compromise between the Cogorian system and the one you put in place.”

Alycia nodded hesitantly. The Cogorian system seemed intriguing. She’d studied it from afar. The notion of incorporating elements of that into Norsia’s own government seemed appealing. It was also something Gabriel knew all about.

“I know you already asked to tour Cogoria and look into their system a while ago. It would be a good chance to look and learn if they are willing."

Alycia nodded. It seemed like a path worth pursuing, but she had her reservations.
"We aren't a communist nation. Nor is the government communist in structure.

"That doesn't matter,” Gabriel responded with a friendly smile.
“Norsia doesn’t have to embrace a communist system. The people though, there are many who believe in the ideals. That’s what matters. And I suspect there are more than you realize.”
Alycia looked him in the eye, thinking over everything he had said. In many ways he’d reinforced ideas and feelings she had entertained before. What he was suggesting didn’t sound so crazy.

“You yourself seem a tad on the red side with the ‘for the people!' rhetoric. You cannot deny that” he continued with a soft chuckle.
“The fact you spared me and my colleagues, you sympathize even if you do not subscribe. And I do not ask for more than that. All I want is a chance. And if you don't like the way the Cogorian system? You can always tour other nations watch and learn from them. We’ll learn together, to make our own flavor. Make the two sides who’ve been at each other’s throats work."
Gabriel stopped for a moment before he continued.

"It occurs to me that you were our enemy. After all you grew up surrounded by your mother’s propaganda. Would you like to perhaps read our outlook. I have a book or two in my quarters I can lend."

Alycia felt as if she was sinking into her chair as she thought on everything that had been discussed. Everything Gabriel was saying was something she herself had thought about. She still had concerns. Ultimately though? There were two choices. Rule absolutely or give Gabriel a chance. The latter, perhaps thanks to her own theorizing, seemed the most appealing.

"I appreciate your vision, Gabriel. I'll think on them, but right now I need to make a few calls. You're right though. The current system isn’t working, and a compromise with Norsian flavour might just get us out of our current mess.

Alycia smirked just as Gabriel was about to leave.
As for the books? Just leave them on my desk."

The cameras went live and the visage of Alycia in full regalia wearing her crown. with a new piece of jewelry around her neck, a necklace of Medallions around her neck all denoting a different Norsian Pagan deity. Appeared on the TV throughout the nation. And radios dialed in. She sat in her throne, sword-cane in her right hand the [note]A holy Relic of the Norsi Pagan Faith, and a symbol of royal authority.[/note]wolfzepter in her left.

she began to speak in Norsi, an interpretor translating it into mercanti as she went. "Norsians, we as a people with the help of others have picked ourselves up out of the ashes, and now we must brush the rest of it off, we still have a long way to go. To this effect, this is the last day I make these such declarations."

I make the following declarations, and no power shall unbind these. so long as I hold my throne.

"I as High Queen of Norsia Protector of the Faith, make the following declarations. The Virici Pantheon is the true faith of Norsia and that [note]Temples[/note]Chrámhäuser and [note]Shrines/Santuaries[/note]svattümer dedicated to their following and congregation has the full endorsement of the state under the rule of law.

The Knights of the Wolfzept rise from the annals of history to defend faith, Crown and Country once more.

I dissolved the Senate not long ago and put the constitution into review to find what went wrong, the following action saw several members including then Prime Minister Abel Caillat indicted on separate charges, international scrutiny.. Today I declare National Counsel reconvened, and a new better and stronger constitution will be formalized soon. The empty seats will be voted for, by YOU, and YOU alone.” She stopped to take a sip of water.

“Norsia has marched into Northern Berkowitzia for several reasons. First, to reclaim what was wrongfully stolen from us so long ago. And to protect both Berkowitzians and the Norsian Minority in native Berkowitzian territories from the lawlessness of their broken government.
I give my honor to my word that upon the stabilization of Berkowitzia this land will be ceded back to them without complication. So long as they do not attack occupying forces. Until such time as they can safely be reintegrated into the Berkowitzian nation the border territories will be a mostly autonomous Suzerain.”

She paused to take another sip of water “I say this to the world in Mercanti to show how serious I am.
We refuse any and all claims on the New Norsian province. This land is Native Norsian and was stolen from us long ago, Norsia has not forgotten, we do not forget. We have now taken back that which was wrongfully stolen from us. And any attack on New Norsia is an attack on Norsian soil: and any attack on Norsian soil will be considered an invasion of Norsia.

While we originally wanted to lower our military readiness, this has proven untenable by recent events, as such we have initiated a military recruitment and production drive. With this drive I announce the formal revival of the Norsian Second Armee, and the revival of the Norsian First fleet.”

Alycia stood up from her throne. Defaulting back to Norsi where she lacked mercanti words. “Norsia has always been a set of Kingdoms, falsely calling itself a spole?enstvi for a while now. To ensure our ever increasing stability, Norsia will be reorganized into a true, [note]Norsian Peoples Commonwealth[/note]Norsi Völker spole?enstvi!

Norsia can no longer sustain itself to be ruled by any one person. To that end..” she looks over off camera and Gabriel Dubov walks into camera view and faces the camera. “From this point forward, my powers are merged with that of the Chairman, I will continue to be your Queen as Head of State. But from this point on Monarch and Chairman will rule jointly as heads of Government.

Know whatever happens today or tomorrow, know that I love Norsia, and I love you all. Long Live Lusovo, Long live the Fatherland!"
The broadcast ended as she and Gabriel gave a bow. throughout Norsia the Tricolor and yellow Laurel and stars flags owned by the state came down from wherever they flew.. From the front of civil and state buildings to flagpoles dotting the central dividers down major boulevards, and soon new ones came up with orange laurels and stars with a red bordering with a rose in the center with three red outlined arrows striking through it.

The new flags served as an ever present notice to the Norsians who gazed upon them. The Syndicalists have won power in Norsia.

Alycia and Gabriel lead the group of forty-one men and women of the new Syndicate Council as they walked up to the podium where the new constitution laid ready. with an ink pen at its side waiting for its signatories to sign it the new Basic Rights into law. The day had been long and everyone was tired they had just finalized it hours prior. Now they just had to sign it while it was being televised.
The Government has undergone great turbulence in a single year alone it will take a while for the people to truly trust the actions of the government to hold any true permanence, this new constitution included considering the old one was so quickly thrown out months prior.

They all looked to each other in silence and gave assenting nods. Alycia stepped up first and her signature would be the first to mark the new paper. One by one they all took turns adding their names to the Signatories. Gabriel signed it last, Alycia was the beginning and Gabriel would be the end.

Basic Law / Constitution of Norsia

Preamble:

Conscious of their responsibilities and duties before the Gods and Man, inspired by the determination and spirit of the Norsian people to be an equal partner in the world, having achieved freedom and unity in self determination, the Norsian people, in exercise of their constituent power hereby adopt this Basic Law to be applied forthwith to the people of the nation and the Fatherland.

Legislation​

The Monarch is the Head of State and is one of two Heads of Government, ruling a Constitutional Monarchy.
The Chairman is one of two Heads of Government alongside the Monarch and they jointly govern as the executive authority of the nation.

Members of the Directorate are appointed by the Heads of Government in individual votes and confirmed by the Syndicate Council. Each member holds the title of Director and answers to the Monarch and the Chairman and is tasked with managing the affairs of their government department while ensuring the efficacy of that department.

The Syndicate Council will be tasked with handling and ensuring that legislation of state affairs runs smoothly. Members of the Council will debate and deliberate on issues and see that the people and their voice are appropriately represented. Decisions made by the Council can be overruled by the Heads of Government. Further, emergency elections for individual members will be called if a vote of no confidence is passed by the people, the Monarch or the Chairman. Lastly, the Syndicate Council cannot be dissolved.

Section I: Basic Rights​
These Basic Rights are created and founded to establish and protect a Norsian citizens inalienable rights under this Basic Law and in turn safeguard the fabric of a Free Norsian Society.

Section IA: Forfeiture of Basic Rights​
Whoever abuses the freedom of expression, in particular the freedom of the press (Section ID), the freedom of teaching (Section ID paragraph 4), the freedom of assembly (Section IB), the freedom of association (Section IB), the privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications (Section ID), the rights of property (Section IIB Subject 5), or the right of asylum (Section III) in order to combat the free democratic basic order shall forfeit these basic rights. This forfeiture and its extent shall be declared by the Constitutional Court.

Section IB: Rights of Representation and Assembly:​
Citizens of Norsia have the right to peaceful public assembly and the right to representation. on both the Provincial and National scale, as well as in public and private unions and groups.
1: No person under the age of eighteen may cast votes for Provincial or National elections, Provincial Legislation or National Legislation.
2: No non-citizen, or a citizen sooner than five years may cast a votes for the representatives of the Syndicate Council, Provincial Legislation or National Legislation. No citizen younger than thirty may run for the Syndicate Council or for a Directorate position.
3: This article does not empower the Citizens of Norsia to violently assemble or otherwise impede the flow of traffic or business in displays of assembly.
4: Norsian citizens have the right to impart their skills and knowledge onto others as a teacher and or mentor in an official or unofficial capacity, however they are not authorized to create or issue license, and those under their tutelage must still seek legal issuance from Government office.

Section IC: State Religion and the Freedom of Faith:​
Norsi Paganism is the official State Religion of Norsia. The Government shall make no law stigmatizing or attacking an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise and exploration thereof.

Section ID: Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press:​
Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press are the Basic Rights of a free people; Neither the Government nor the common citizens may infringe on another person's Freedom of Speech or Freedom of the Press.
1: Users of Free Speech and Free Press are beholden to the consequences thereof; statements of criminal guilt or intent may be admissible to a judicial court.
2: Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press donot protect incitors of sedition or treason.

Section IF: Judicial System and the Rights of the Accused​
No person shall answer for a capital crime unless indicted or on the presentment of a Grand Jury, unless such cases arise within the Royal Military.
1A: No person shall be compelled to stand witness or testify against their own defense, nor be deprived of life, basic rights or property without due process of law, nor shall their private property be taken for public use without proper and just compensation.
1B: No person shall take the law into their own hands unless Marshalled by the proper judicial authorities.

2A: In all criminal prosecution, the accused shall enjoy the right to public trial and judgment by an impartial jury of the province and district wherein the crime has been committed. The accused shall enjoy the right to the nature and cause of the accusations placed on them, to be engaged by the witnesses against them and to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in their favor and to have favorable counsel in their defense.
2B: No citizen and non-citizen shall be imprisoned without a proper trial in front of Judge and Jury and no citizen or non-citizen shall be detained without cause and reasoning. Furthermore, no citizen or non-citizen shall be subjected to slavery or involuntary servitude unless such punishment is ruled in favor of by a Judge in front of a trial and its jury.

Section IIA: The Right to Bear Arms in Defense of Self or State.​
Citizens of the age of eighteen and older may keep and bear arms, in protection of themselves, or as well regulated militias in the defense of the Realm and the Crown.
1: Automatic weapons are prohibited and will be seized, and criminal penalties for illegal arms enforced.
2: Citizens with a Class A license may keep and bear swords and other bladed or blunt defensive weapons. Citizens with Class B license may keep and bear handguns and hunting rifles.
3: Servicemen, be they civilian or military, may keep their service weapon upon leaving the service after completing the necessary registration, and paying for the replacement of the weapon. Carriers of these weapons must have a Class C license.

Section IIB: Inviolability and Defense of the Home​
1: The home is inviolable.
1A: The home is the castle of a Norsian, it is the right of any and all residents to use any and all force in the defense of their family, home and belongings. Lethal defense is allowed if the intruder poses an evident and clear threat of bodily harm to the residents.
1B: Before engaging intruders the Resident should make every attempt to call law enforcement authorities as soon as possible. It is imperative that law enforcement authorities be given as much detail as possible, and be made aware if you are armed or not.
1C: No soldier of the Norsian National army may take quarters in a residents home without permission of the resident.
2: Searches may be authorised only by a judge or, when time is of the essence, by other authorities designated by the laws, and may be carried out only in the manner therein prescribed.
3. If particular facts justify the suspicion that any person has committed an especially serious crime specifically defined by a law, technical means of acoustical surveillance of any home in which the suspect is supposedly staying may be employed pursuant to judicial order for the purpose of prosecuting the offence, provided that alternative methods of investigating the matter would be disproportionately difficult or unproductive. The authorisation shall be for a limited time. The order shall be issued by a panel composed of three judges. When time is of the essence, it may also be issued by a single judge.
4. To avert acute dangers to public safety, especially dangers to life or to the public, technical means of surveillance of the home may be employed only pursuant to judicial order. When time is of the essence, such measures may also be ordered by other authorities designated by a law; a judicial decision shall subsequently be obtained without delay.
5. The rights to personal property and business are inviolable.

Section IIIA: National Armed Forces​
The National Army swears allegiance to both the State and the Monarch along with every soldier, airman and seaman of the Norsian Armed Forces. The Monarch is Chief Commander of Staff.

The Norsian National Army stands as the Defenders of Norsia and its allies should diplomacy fail the Norsian State and its allies. It is the duty of the men and women of the National Army to never waver; and always stand ready to defend the Fatherland, whatever the cost may be; until the day comes that they lay down their arms and resume a civilian life.

Section IIIB: Compulsory Military and alternative Civilian Service​
Men and Women who have attained the age of eighteen may be required to serve in the National Army, the Border Guard, or a Civil Defense Organization.
Any person who, on grounds of conscience, refuses to render military service involving the use of arms may be required to perform alternative service. The duration of alternative service shall not exceed that of military service. Details shall be regulated by a law, which shall not interfere with the freedom to make a decision in accordance with the dictates of conscience, and which shall also provide for the possibility of alternative service not connected with units of the National Armed Forces or of the Border Police.

Last edited:
Back