Wonderess

"I will be true to you whatever comes."
-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
Hello all! Today, I am making this thread to share my mapping practices to anyone who would be interested in hearing about them. I have been political mapping for years now and find it as a hobby that brings relaxation and satiates my want of bringing order to chaos. Below shall be my process of running my primary electoral maps that make up my personal universe separate from Eras or any other communal world located here in TNP. The two primary states that I work with are The Castle Federation (not to be confused with my NS nation which is also The Castle Federation) and its tentative partner The United Aerostate. They are shown below. The Castle Federation is the continent to your left and The United Aerostate is the continent to your right. (Note: These continents are not located next to one another geographically but are placed side by side for ease of representation.)

nqz7a1.png

From this point, each "state" is its own image and has its own boundaries. The Castle Federation is made up of dominions while The United Aerostate is made up of aerostates.

I will now show a specific dominion to get a better idea of what each state contains. We will look at the Dominion of Dedera which is located at the top left of the above image.

vfbjew.png

Here is Dedera with its counties showing. My primary use of these maps are election running. Therefor, I had to find a way to simulate the variance of elections while also keeping in mind the cultural understanding of various areas. I created a governmental district system that allows me to have that variation without me consciously choosing the winner of each dominion or aerostate. Here are Dedera's governmental districts.

21kht1s.png

Each district contains 10,000 people. You can see that they are concentrated in urban areas which allows me to note the population density. Districts within cities are also given a different color from districts outside of cities which allows me to distinguish urban areas from suburban areas and rural areas. Here is the same map after the reporting of election results.

2ciadc8.png

You can see that the green party appears to hold support in more urban areas while the blue party has support in the rest of the dominion and also areas in the southeastern dominion where the national capital is located. I must count these districts after coloring them, but I do this little by little through the use of regencies which are an equivalent to congressional districts. Here are Dedera's regencies in the same election.

15hmq0w.png

Each regency contains 51 districts while some may contain overflow. This number is often odd to avoid pesky ties. If there is a tie, then the last party to win the regency holds on to the seat. We see here that the green party has six seats to the blue party's seven. Here are the official results.

24voda0.png

You can see that even though blue won the most districts, it lost the district vote or the popular vote. This comes into play in the larger scale. After each aerostate and dominion goes through this process here is the final tally.

861.png

The middle body is the one represented by this election. The ultimate winner of the popular vote gets the percentage margin times the number of regency seats added to their seat tally. This helps to crack down on unsupported majorities.

I like the use of counties, regencies, and governmental districts because it strikes a balance of cultural representation of a people while also giving equal weight to higher populated areas. It is a compromise of both which work together to form the regencies that act as the primary districts of representation.

I have shared my system of map generating so that you can try it or take something from it to better your own experiences. If you have any questions or comments leave them below. Than y'all for your time!!!

In faith,
Wonderess

Back