Happy Flag Day!

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
:tnp: :tnp: :tnp: HAPPY FLAG DAY :tnp: :tnp: :tnp:

2pqrok8.png

(Yes, okay, flag day was technically 4/26, but who wants to celebrate on some random Thursday?)

Anyway, as a demonstration of TNP pride, we encourage as many of you as possible to change your forum avatars, discord avatars, and national flags to the TNP flag for the celebration! There will be prizes for participation, so the more the merrier!

Keep an eye on this thread - we'll be coming out with some fun flag facts over the course of the weekend, as well as some surprise trivia questions!

SillyString:
Here's an easy one to start y'all off: When did our current flag become the official flag of The North Pacific?
October 27 2015?

Let's see...the amendment was passed by the RA on Oct. 27, 2015 and ratified by the delegate on Oct. 28, 2015. However, the change was not enacted until November 28, 2015 on the 10th anniversary of the current forum. So, I'm gonna say our current flag was officially adopted on November 28, 2015.

Deropia got it right and has won a ribbon:

newflag.png

Congrats, Deropia! :tnp:

And now for a fun fact: DID YOU KNOW that despite its now-emblematic status, the gold and white North Star had never been used in our iconography before the adoption of the current flag (and coat of arms)?

NOW YOU KNOW!!!

That's correct! Have a ribbon, good sir:

ThelAnswer.png

Fun Flag Fact: The study of flags is known as "vexillology"!

The study of the flag of The North Pacific might be called "septentrionalopacificovexillology" - but don't worry, you won't be quizzed on that. :P

Unofficial Fun Flag Fact: This is a draft version of TNP's original flag I salvaged from here, on old blue. One of the few images that actually showed up.

BDZi56t.gif

w2DDlpp.gif

Ding ding ding! Here you go!

flagadoption.png

Fun Flag Fact: The flag of Denmark holds the record for the oldest continually used national flag. It was adopted in 1625, and is known to have been in use as early as 1307!

SillyString:
Alrighty! NEXT TRIVIA QUESTION:

Speaking of our very first flag, on what date was it officially adopted?
Before I joined TNP? Hmm...can I ask Google?

SillyString:
Here's another trivia question!!

What are the heraldic tinctures of our coat of arms, and what do they mean?
Barry wavy of four argent and azure, on a chief azure the North Star or and argent, the shield ensigned with a Mural Crown, and it means tnp.

I'm going to say azure for the great ocean, argent for the white icy north, and or for the sovereign majesty of The North Pacific Region.

I was going for azure, argent, and or meaning blue, white/silver, and gold, but I'mma give it to you since you clearly know what's what. :P Have a ribbon!

tinctures.png

Fun Flag Fact: At least one of the colors blue, white, and gold (or yellow) show up in nearly all national flags. One of the exceptions is the flag of Albania, which is a black double-headed eagle on a red field.

Now for the next trivia question! This one's a silly one. Which element of the Coat of Arms has been described as "frog legs"?

That would be the frog legs that stick out from the sides.

A silly sort of answer to a silly sort of question. I like it!

r3nfrog.png

Fun Flag Fact: Vexillolololololologists (remember them from earlier?) refer to the style of flag that TNP uses as "SOB" or "Seal on a Bedsheet". It is style most often seen in city or (US) state flags, and is generally viewed as a bad thing.

SillyString:
A silly sort of answer to a silly sort of question. I like it!

r3nfrog.png

Fun Flag Fact: Vexillolololololologists (remember them from earlier?) refer to the style of flag that TNP uses as "SOB" or "Seal on a Bedsheet". It is style most often seen in city or (US) state flags, and is generally viewed as a bad thing.
How about we burn all of 'em! TNP is the greatest!

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

NEXT TRIVIA QUESTION! How many times as the TNP flag been the subject of a court review?

(For clarity, I'm referring just to TNP's court, not that of any other region.)

Back