-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
The Commonwealth of Eluvataran Isles is the nation I intend to RP in TNP at this time.

For the sake of limiting my choices, I intend to restrict myself to conforming to the nation description onsite, excepting that I will be reducing the population and may note negative effects from interaction with other nations.

The Commonwealth is notionally a unitary democratic republic, with an elected President as head of state and a Chancellor selected by the elected legislature as head of government. In practice however, the weakness of the central government has led to a highly violent and disordered society, with people's lives largely at the mercy of wealthy landlords, powerful corporations, and organized crime. The economy's relative strength (per capita), I intend to RP, is solely due to the islands serving as a major transshipment point.

The population of Eluvataran Isles will be somewhat less than 20 million. Probably closer to 6, but I haven't definitively decided yet.

I will be adding further, and engaging with any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Edit: after glancing at this topic I'm inclined to say perhaps closer to 3 million. Not the most urgent detail to nail down, however.

I'm given to understand that I've requested islands that have a total land area of 10,348 square kilometers. With a desired population density around 670, that suggests a population of 6,933,530.

These people predominantly live in a few large cities. The largest of these is the capital, Carth, which covers a large part (if not all) of one of the smaller islands. I imagine that Carth's prosperity is due to its relatively sheltered location, accessibility to ships visiting Myroria, McMasterdonia, potentially Ozia via waterways, or transiting the high seas. In this I am modeling Carth on Singapore.

From a start in ship services, other industries have spread to Eluvataran Isles since independence (from the Kingdom of McMasterdonia? from Myroria? I'll figure it out). Like in Taiwan, cheap labor and limited regulations were a pretty strong attractor.

Both widespread insecurity at home and many conflicts in The North Pacific have inflated a sizable armaments industry. Gambling has thrived as a way to part sailors from their pay for centuries in the Isles. Further, a good that has been particularly suited to Eluvataran Isles as a low-resource widespread-shipment item has been soda beverages. Finally, the production of automobiles for a number of transnational corporations has thrived in the Isles. Whether this is because pieces produced in the Isles can easily be shipped out or because labor laws are a joke is unclear.

Back