Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
THE DUBAL'NE: THE OFFICIAL SPECIES PROPOSAL
because I'm told this is how you're supposed to do it.

The Dubal'Ne were an intelligent race indigenous to Meru Island in ancient times. Their scientific name is salvia caelus, which roughly translates to "mysterious ascended thinker".

CULTURO-HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

Their cities were subterranean; delved underground, and their ruins exist today on Meru Island as tourist spots. (Some, however, are closed to the public.) Their first and greatest city, known only as "The Citadel", is today the Grand Celestial Archtemple, the holiest site in Rakanism.

They were a species that rejected religion and the notion of gods and embraced, instead, a form of extreme rationalism. They built interesting technological wonders using magic, (not the same used by the Aed Kaene, but siphoning off the same core of energy.) as well as remarkable tools and advanced scientific thought, and had an extremely sophisticated (yet also extremely isolated) society.

They referred to themselves as "De'eb", plural "Deben". "Dubal'Ne" was their name for their species, but in the modern context it is generally used where they themselves used "De'eb" and "Deben". We know so much about them because their script has been successfully translated by Syrixian linguists and historians, however many of their concepts and sciences baffle us today.

Their geopolitical structure is known to us today as the "Dubal'Ne Confederacy", and it comprised an amalgamation of subterranean city-states across Meru Island. They called the surface of the island "the Near Reaches", and landmasses elsewhere "the Far Reaches". Each city had a "High Sciencemaster"; a sort-of "philosopher-king" who ruled the city for life. Each city traded with each other, and these High Sciencemasters would meet at the Citadel often.

Though we do not know the precise quantity of the intervals of years between their meetings, it is believed they met annually. Their assembly was known as the "Council of the One", and it was chaired by the ruler of the Citadel, who was known as the "Great Sciencemaster", and was primus inter pares and leader of the Confederacy.

The ancient Syrixians came from the Home Island in around 3000 BC and committed a mass slaughter after a prophecy foretold by a vision of the then-Guru-Baba Ravana that the island would become the home of a new temple, which had been previously located in Chhapra, a city on the Home Island.

Though vastly technologically superior, the hordes of ancient Syrixians overran their cities. The entire race was slaughtered in what is today often dubbed an "ancient genocide". Many Dubal'Ne cities today are either Rakanist temples or museums. It is also believed that the flora of the Kyloth Reserve in the west of the island, not seen anywhere else in the world, exists due to ancient Dubal'Ne experimentation.

BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION:

The Dubal'Ne were an ancient species; and were evolved beyond human evolution. Their brains were 1.5 times the size of a human brain, and they were also on average taller and larger in stature, though they were almost never of a stout build, and instead more on the slender side.

They are known to have had blue skin, silver hair, and respiratory, optical, and auditory systems similar to humans in structure. However, they could hear and see much better and hold their breaths longer, as their own systems were more developed.

They also appear to have had two hearts instead of the single heart present in humanity- this would have likely allowed for much greater stamina than the average human. In addition, this fact means that, should a Dubal'Ne experience cardiac arrest, unless it is a failure of both hearts, death would not occur; rather, there would merely be fatigue and decreased physical capability.

However, this explanation fails to explain a number of their characteristics, such as their slender, tall build, their larger brains, (they likely had less Vitamin D than humans due to their habitat) and their blue skin.

The only people posting in this topic should Conclave members and Syrixia. Thank you.

PS: I talked with Goy and we decided that, since their skin is blue, that their blood would be copper-based.

So why do you want theDubal’Ne to exist? What would you say they add to RP? And finally, why do you want them to have these advanced technologies which could affect RP overall?

I want them to exist because they justify many things, such as the various large underground complexes on Meru Island and the odd flora in the island's west. As for what they add to RP, they allow me to really delve into the mysterious ancient past of Syrixia, and use them to create really interesting stories. For example, I have a WIP story that I have lying around deep in my iPhone somewhere; I really liked writing it, and one of these days I might retype it and post it, along with other Dubal'Ne stories.

Their advanced technologies also won't affect RP much overall, in actuality. Humanity has no idea how to bring them back to life. Historically, they've just been harvested for their component metals. They mainly serve as a reason for how they delved their tunnels, and also as a key component of their culture and society.

Going back to what they add to RP, by the way, there is another reason. It's by far the most important, but I've kept it from the general public excluding a few Mods so as to not provide spoilers for a future RP. Feel free to DM me about it on Discord.

But why can't humanity figure them out. Reverse engineering is not as hard as inventing something completely new

@Cogoria: Because they were powered by Dubalnic magic. I quote: "They built interesting technological wonders using magic,"

@Sil Dorsett: steampunk-style robots used for physical labor, wiring to light up cities, transport, etc.

Would you classify this "magic" as that which is within the laws of physics but remained unexplained or something that outright violates the laws of physics, thus making it unexplainable. If it is the first (within the laws of physics), why would no one have been able to explain this "magic"? If it is the second (violates physics), can you explain the nature and capabilities of this "magic" in out-of-character terms?

I haven't really thought about how it relates to the laws of physics. Therefore, before I answer this question, may I ask: which of the two would the Conclave find more acceptable?

Sil Dorsett:
This isn't an official stance, but can you explain it in a Physics-compliant way?
I haven't taken physics yet, and 11th grade chemistry is one of my two worst classes, so I'm sorry for what you're about to read.

Maybe they could manipulate electrons or particles or whatever to create energy? Or is it the other way around? And they could maybe also make and break bonds with that energy? Or something?

Syrixia:
Sil Dorsett:
This isn't an official stance, but can you explain it in a Physics-compliant way?
I haven't taken physics yet, and 11th grade chemistry is one of my two worst classes, so I'm sorry for what you're about to read.

Maybe they could manipulate electrons or particles or whatever to create energy? Or is it the other way around? And they could maybe also make and break bonds with that energy? Or something?
I, personally would rather take an unexplained approach, as there is nothing that a human without specialized equipment can do to manipulate electrons. And making and breaking bonds between atoms is what a nuclear bomb is...

Reading through this, it's still hard not to see them as the Dwemer from the Elder Scrolls. just with a name change, I would personally like to see them be more unique; as they stand it just seems like a rip from the Elder Scroll series with ultimately minor changes.

I would also like an explanation that despite their technological superiority they never left the Syrixian isle. Why anyone who has the potential or ability to utilize magic even ineffectively and minute, cannot operate this technology.

Where did they go? Where are the bodies? I doubt they are old enough to have become dust if preserved correctly. and with their technology I have no doubt they could preserve themselves quite decently, like the Egyptians did their old pharaohs, or even better than them especially given the potential magic elements involved in their lives.. This is a lesser point but I am still curious.

I'm fine with it, just tone the dwemer stuff down. And the whole swarming them in blood.

Yalkan:
I'm fine with it, just tone the dwemer stuff down. And the whole swarming them in blood.
Sure; I first came up with them a while ago so I can easily make their tech more unique.

Zyv: Answered in the chat.

Reading through this, it's still hard not to see them as the Dwemer from the Elder Scrolls. just with a name change, I would personally like to see them be more unique; as they stand it just seems like a rip from the Elder Scroll series with ultimately minor changes. As I told Yalk, they basically are, then Madjack was like "you need to make them more unique" so I changed their naming system, physical description, and how their magic works. Hell, if that's not enough I can change literally everything except the fact that they lived underground, which is the one thing I wanna keep.

I would also like an explanation that despite their technological superiority they never left the Syrixian isle. Why anyone who has the potential or ability to utilize magic even ineffectively and minute, cannot operate this technology. There weren't that many of them, and they lived underground- they only travelled to the surface to conduct experiments/study/etc. Also, I suppose the Aed Kaene /could/ operate their technology, as their magic is in the same "family" as Aed Kaene magic. (I discussed it with Felis a bit ago somewhere in the server)

Where did they go? Where are the bodies? I doubt they are old enough to have become dust if preserved correctly. and with their technology I have no doubt they could preserve themselves quite decently, like the Egyptians did their old pharaohs, or even better than them especially given the potential magic elements involved in their lives.. This is a lesser point but I am still curious. I don't know. Due to their culture and way of thinking, it doesn't seem out of the question that upon the death of one of the species, they would be disintegrated through way of some machine. Maybe the Syrixians cremated the ones they killed. I'm open to suggestions.

Syr, Cardinal Secretary of Squat - 06/07/2018
I was wondering if, in order to solve the question of Dubal'Ne magic, they are related to the AK; and in very ancient times, split off from their common ancestor with the AK; and when the AK left the SY, the DBN went to Syrixia whilst the AK went to Maloria, Prydania, Korova, etc. Perhaps due to them being evolutionary cousins, their magic and philosophy/way of life is slightly different, but siphons off the same core. This could simultaneously explain the origins of DBN magic whilst also allowing me to make it, along with the DBN outlook on life and their technology, its own thing.

Personally I see the relation to them to the AK as still deriving too much from TES as it is still almost identical to the story of the Dwemer splitting off from the Aldmer and going to Morrowind. So what makes their split from the AK different from that of the Dwemer with the Aldmer?

Nogori:
Personally I see the relation to them to the AK as still deriving too much from TES as it is still almost identical to the story of the Dwemer splitting off from the Aldmer and going to Morrowind. So what makes their split from the AK different from that of the Dwemer with the Aldmer?
Hmm. There is a parallel there. I didn't think of that or use that at all. The idea behind the story was to explain why the two species' magics are related.

I will say, though:
1. With this idea, the Aed Kaene and Dubal'Ne emerged together in the same place from their common ancestor.
2. The Dubal'Ne did not separate from a united population like the Chimer did to the Aldmer. From what Felis has told me, lots of Aed Kaene left too, and unlike the Aldmer, all those Aed Kaene did not become other species, but remained Aed Kaene.

I’m not saying I would like the split to be changed I would just like reason why they separated to be built up more to differentiate them from the Dwemer.

Nogori:
I’m not saying I would like the split to be changed I would just like reason why they separated to be built up more to differentiate them from the Dwemer.
Sure. That will probably come in time as I worldbuild them more. :yes:

About time I update the whole Conclave on the status of my Dubal-Në species proposal. You may notice the different spelling.

A while back, in #eras-worldbuilding, I talked with Felis about his Aed Kaenë species, as you know. He was beginning to worldbuild its history more, and I had an idea- what if the Dubal'Ne and the Aed Kaenë had a common ancestor? My idea was initially that, if they did, then that would explain the DBN's magic.

However, in more recent times, I realized that in addition to this, I would also be able to contribute to the greater narrative of the AK, which was also being embraced by others; such as Nog, Norsia, and even Goyanes; and I do like cooperative worldbuilding. The discussion also occurred here as you can see above, but eventually it fizzled out. However, later in Felis' Aed Kaenë DM, it was brought up again. I asked Felis and Sodium what they thought of it, and they approved. So here we are. My idea, as discussed beforehand, is as follows:

1. The DBN are an offshoot species of the AK; now spelled Dubal-Në. Soon after the AK landed in Korova, the DBN split. They had been a more distant group of AK that had grown disillusioned with the AK religion and culture. Their religion became a perversion of the AK pantheon focused more on the Moon and darkness; and they had developed their own form of magic. The DBN travelled through the August Straits to Meru Island, Syrixia around 3000 BC, just after the AK landed in Korova. It was in Syrixia, in their underground cities, where they would gradually adapt and diverge, becoming a cousin race to the greater AK.

2. I have yet to worldbuild most of their history from there, but the above is essentially their origins. As for their underground cities, DBN architecture was sleek and minimalist, and ornate patterns seldom existed outside their temples. They started in Meru Island but spread out all over the Home Islands, with the sole exception being the western quarter of Meru Island, home to the dragons of Clan Kyloth, where they dared not tread.

3. Their downfall came when Mount Meru erupted. When, I'm not sure yet; but it was definitely after 1700 BC and before 800 BC. Many of their cities on Meru Island collapsed in on themselves, much of their technology stopped working, and famines hit the cities on the Home Island, who then began to depopulate as well as fight amongst themselves. At the same time, human Syrixians began to take advantage of the situation and encroach on their lands, slaughtering those DBN who didn't slaughter themselves.

4. With all of the above being noted: DBN are more stout in contrast to the slender build of AK, though not round/fat. They possess a similar average age to the AK; perhaps a bit longer due to technological progress, IE: like how humanity has lengthened its own lifespan. Anywhere from 120 to 180 years. Their capability for magic will also work similarly to the AK: it is tied to their species, so humans can't perform it. Their hair is more gray-colored, in contrast to the jet black present in AK hair.

Of course, questions and comments are welcome. As for the secret thing, check the group DM you guys set up to address this species proposal.

Back