The Commonwealth: OOC

(OOC: So, I'd like to see if we, the six members of the Commonwealth, could do more with the organization. What do you guys think? What types of things could we do? Meetings? Commonwealth Games? Etc. I'm open for ideas.)

The Benolian Federation would also support loosening restrictions on the movement of individuals and goods through member states. Also, the Federation proposes that member states allow citizens of Commonwealth states who are residing abroad to vote in local elections, where there is any. The Federation currently allows expat citizens of Tier I members to vote in district elections. We also feel this is best left to the discression of member states. It is the hope of the Federation that these policies will promote the cultural unity we share as members of the Commonwealth.

It should also be noted that, among the high levels of Benolian diplomatic circles, the idea of an annual Commonwealth Games is extremely popular. The proposal also shares wide support among the Benolian citizenry. The Benolian delegation proposes that the Games be hosted by rotation of member states every year. The Bebolian delegation would be extatic the host the games in Benolia this year. We are also interested in hearing your thoughts on any and all of the ideas presented today.

OOC: What I propose for future discussions is that we all role play as our respective Heads of Government, debating in Legacy hall during a biannual meeting of the Commonwealth. Also, I beleive it best if future decisions be decided collectively by vote. Perhaps Syrixia can administer votes when debte on something dies down.

Generally speaking, having greater freedom of movement and trade between allied nations can only be a good thing. Thenaca would very much support such policies. Having IC meetings for Commonwealth policy would also liven this thread up by a long shot. And we could also try hosting joint military training exercises as well, for defense purposes.

I think the matter of Tier 1 members and elections can be decided at an IC meeting. I definitely think such meetings should be a thing. I do think, though, that the Empire should reserve the right to call meetings at any time.

Regarding travel, I seem to see a pattern in your posts concerning your thoughts on travel. I like it all. Perhaps we can write a document outlining how the Commonwealth works- I can see if there is a British equivalent, copypaste it into a doc, and edit it to our own specifications.

EDIT: Regarding Mt’s defense idea- something like that should be saved for an IC meeting.

I’ve changed my mind regarding the defense idea, tier 1 members and elections, and an IC meeting about those. I feel like those two things would be written into our founding/guiding document, so perhaps an OOC meeting would be better. What do you guys think?

Well, the British Commonwealth was founded in 1949. I kinda wanted the Syrixian Commonwealth to be founded in 1954, as part of the treaty granting Iraelia’s independence.

Pry, what do you think about that?

That would work. And would be a good way to emphasize continued Iraelian/Syrixian ties even after independence.

Alright. I’ll write a document tonight, if I have time after writing my The Lost King post. If you guys want we can work on it together in real time over Discord; or you can just read my own proposal. Up to you!

I'm writing the document now. I also had a look again at what exactly Thenaca said, and it appears I misconstrued it. Joint military exercises, not mutual defense. Joint military exercises I'm fine with.

This does bring up a good idea, though- should a Commonwealth member be attacked by an outside force, should we put our commitments to the territorial integrity of other Commonwealth members into writing, or should it be more of an "unspoken law", not mentioned in the document?

The IRL Commonwealth did not include a mutual defense pact because, IIRC, of the strength of NATO. Since we don't have a strong super-alliance like that, but rather a bunch of different ones, do you guys think including mutual defense in our charter is worth it, or still not worth it?

tl;dr I'm not sure whether to include it or not and I wanna know what you guys think.

I have the upmost confidence that any and all Commonwealth member states will come to the Federation's defence if need be. Putting this as a requirement in our Charter will accomplish nothing. It's as though you are implying that without this proposed clause, we are not obliged to defend our fellow members. The Charter should be solely a declaration of our values and commitment to promoting them.

Austalgotha will be fine with joint military exercises but a mutual defense pact is gonna be a big no-no. Especially since they have the HL looking out for them and if they signed something that could possibly bring in outside forces then the kings of Esplandia and Hastenfrakta would put political pressure on them to leave the commonwealth. And Sherwin can be quite persuasive.

Plus Sherwin is trying to bring Austalgotha under Esplandia’s sphere of influence instead of Hastenfrakta’s which you’ll see in my next post in NotB and that will change up their foreign relations a bit. They’ll still be part of the commonwealth though, so don’t worry.

So in short, yes to military exercises and no to any kind of defense pact.

The first draft of the Charter is finished. I've posted it on the Discord server and pinged you all with a pdf file of it.

If there are no objections to the proposed Charter, I suggest we bring it up for discussion in the IC topic.

A note for Syrixia; As we discussed, I would like my name changed to the Benolian Federation in the signature section at the bottom of the Charter.

The Commonwealth was founded in 1954, so IC discussion seems odd, especially when the charter is written. If anyone has any objections or change suggestions, here is the best place.

I will also change your nation name when I get home later tonight.

EDIT: If no one has any objections or suggestions, IE: we’re all fine, by midnight tonight, then I’ll be posting the Charter on the IC topic. (IE: It’d be official.)

Back