He/Him
TNP Nation
Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
mowa_seal.png
World Assembly Sponsorship Application

Program Details

Are you planning on submitting a proposal to the World Assembly? That's fantastic! The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs would like to assist you in making your dream of passing a World Assembly resolution a reality. How can we do this? By campaigning for your proposal! Successful applicants to the program will have the delegate approval campaign and a campaign targeting delegates voting against their proposal conducted on their behalf by the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs.

Basic Requirements

To be considered for sponsorship, there are two basic requirements that each applicant must meet. Firstly, the author must have their WA nation in The North Pacific and secondly, the proposal being considered for sponsorship must have undergone proper drafting on the General Assembly or Security Council forum on the main Nationstates website.

Application Process

Upon applying, your proposal will be reviewed by the Minister of World Assembly Affairs and their Deputy Minister(s) before being reviewed by the Office of the Delegate. If Ministry leadership and the Delegate find that your proposal meets the standard of quality expected of World Assembly resolutions, it will be voted on by the Executive Staff of the Ministry. If your proposal receives majority support during this vote, it will be accepted for sponsorship and be campaigned for upon submission.

Should the Minister of World Assembly Affairs, their Deputy Minister(s) or a member of the Executive Staff be the author of a proposal being considered for sponsorship, they will recuse themselves from the review panel.

Application Form

Code:
WA Nation:
Proposal Title:
Council: < General Assembly, Security Council >
Proposal Category:  < Repeal, Moral Decency, Social Justice, ect. >
Link to Proposal: <NationStates topic>
Proposal Summary:

WA Nation: Stoskavanya
Proposal Title:Protecting Minority Languages
Council: General Assembly
Proposal Category: Education and Creativity | Cultural Heritage
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=433394
Proposal Summary: "Protecting Minority Language" has two focuses; a primary focus on protecting minority languages from political and social prejudices which drive them to endangerment and extinction, and establishing an international committee to assist with language preservation and revitalization more generally. In-depth analysis found below.

Proposal text as of 2/22/18
Protecting Minority Languages​

This World Assembly,

Declaring that the existence of an independent language is intrinsically valuable, both as unifying part of cultural heritage and as a different perspective from which to perceive the world,

Acknowledging the many political and social pressures in the current day that are hastening the extinction of many minority languages,

Recognizing also the importance that the diversity of languages has for academic studies such as linguistics, psychology, history, anthropology, and other pursuits of general knowledge;

Hereby,

Prohibits a member nation from purposely enacting measures through law which aim to deliberately eradicate a living minority language, or endorse any other efforts to shatter active discourse in the language with the intention of causing language death in its nation,

Again confirms an individual's right to learn and write, emphasizing for the purpose of this resolution an individual's right to learn and practice their native language if they so please,

Encourages a multilingual nation to foster healthy linguistic diversity within its borders as suggested from the following committee,

Establishes the World Assembly Language Society (WALS) which shall have two central functions as of the ratification of this resolution:

1. Conducting an academic survey of existing languages, which entails;

• i.) Recording the existence of any living native language within the World Assembly
    ii.) Evaluating the vitality of a language and its designation as a language in danger of language death.
    iii.) Creating an accessible archive of this information to facilitate linguistic research.

2. Acting as an authoritative body on matters of language preservation and revitalization for nations within the World Assembly, which entails;

• i.) Advising and working with receptive governmental bodies on matters of language preservation and revitalization within their jurisdictions .
    ii.) Assisting local efforts with the creation and promotion of programs which educate interested students on their endangered language.
    iii.) Promulgating suggested guidelines on methods for nations to practice linguistic diversity.

Notes that nothing in this resolution is to be construed as to prevent persons from becoming multilingual, to prevent member nations from establishing a national language, instituting compulsory language education, or any other unreasonable interpretation not in the spirit of protecting minority languages from the danger of language death.

In-depth author's analysis:
"Prohibits a member nation from purposely enacting measures through law which aim to deliberately eradicate a living minority language, or endorse any other efforts to shatter active discourse in the language with the intention of causing language death in its nation,"
The intention of this clause is not to protect the speakers of the language directly from discrimination (whom are already protected under the Charter of Civil Rights), but the language itself from policies which seek to purposely eliminate discourse of the language within a nation's borders, either through brazen legal prohibitions of the language's practice, or more subtle methods to discourage its use. An important element of this clause to keep in mind is that:
a.) these policies have to be severe enough to put the language at risk of endangerment or death within its nation. Simply instituting an official language for use in governmental functions and or in public sectors is not sufficient enough to be covered with this provision, though it is addressed later.
b.) The policies to be enacted have to be deliberate, made with the intention of attacking the language's practice. Policies created with a population's goodwill in mind that inadvertently cause decay in proficiency of a language, such as educational initiatives or economic integration of the populace, does not constitute a deliberate attempt to harm the language, and is thus not prohibited.

"Again confirms an individual's right to learn and write, emphasizing for the purpose of this resolution an individual's right to learn and practice their native language if they so please,"
The purpose of this clause in essence is to produce a right for a population to practice their language. The wording of the clause does this by using GA 234 Freedom to Read and Learn as a foundation, and extending its meaning to convey this new sentiment. This was necessary because I want this to be a Cultural Heritage proposal, not a Human Rights proposal, so I couldn't create a standalone right. Declaring something a right gives it more respect and protection, which is why I see it as a constructive tool to protect vulnerable languages.

"Encourages a multilingual nation to foster healthy linguistic diversity within its borders as suggested from the following committee,"
This seeks to protect minority languages by creating an environment where they are tolerated. I wrote as a replay in my thread:
"Healthy linguistic diversity is intentionally broad; but basically it boils down to the dominant culture in a society being tolerant towards minority languages' existence; refraining from enacting an aggressive language policy or pushing for destructive language purism. I understand that every nation needs some form of social integration which may include a preference for the dominant language, which is why this is merely just an encouragement; the first Prohibits clause applies only if these policies lead to language death. I figured that the specifics of the definition would be articulated by my language committee, which nations could look to for guidance."
The purpose for the clause is self-explanatory; it is not a full-stop prohibition like the first clause, recognizing the realities and intricate nature of protecting a language, but it seeks to remove systemic and social burdens that many minority languages face as a contributing factor of language loss.

Onto the committee. The first part of the committee's role is to gather academic information on the endangered languages of the WA. The duties written were specifically selected to assist global efforts to combat language loss by disclosing linguistic data and information on the world's languages. Previous iterations of this proposal had the committee do tasks such as documenting the basic grammar and collecting cultural works. This, however, was edited out in later revisions in order to reduce the workload of the committee.

Now, for the controversial 'preservation and revitalization' part of committee. Previous legislation/proposals on language have failed due to a.) cost vs. benefit concerns, and b.) practically of the committees work load. Much of the concern on the GA forum was the effectiveness of a single WA committee attempting to preserve and revitalize all these languages. This is why the committee has been retooled to being a mere authoritative body on the matter of language preservation and revitalization, developing and promulgating methods and studies to the WA population on how best to achieve this. The committee only goes 'into the field' as to say when it is requested by either a nation's government or local population, where it acts in a supportive rule.

By doing this it is hoped that WA money will only go to genuine efforts that are meaningful and realistic, rather then throwing money away in revitalization attempts that are hopeless, or where the population is apathetic/unwilling. By limiting the scope of the committee to only these cases, the workload is also greatly diminished.

Thank you for considering my application, hope to hear from you soon.

Stoskavanya1:
WA Nation: Stoskavanya
Proposal Title:Protecting Minority Languages
Proposal Category: Education and Creativity | Cultural Heritage
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=433394
Proposal Summary: "Protecting Minority Language" has two focuses; a primary focus on protecting minority languages from political and social prejudices which drive them to endangerment and extinction, and establishing an international committee to assist with language preservation and revitalization more generally. In-depth analysis found below.

Proposal text as of 2/22/18
Protecting Minority Languages​

This World Assembly,

Declaring that the existence of an independent language is intrinsically valuable, both as unifying part of cultural heritage and as a different perspective from which to perceive the world,

Acknowledging the many political and social pressures in the current day that are hastening the extinction of many minority languages,

Recognizing also the importance that the diversity of languages has for academic studies such as linguistics, psychology, history, anthropology, and other pursuits of general knowledge;

Hereby,

Prohibits a member nation from purposely enacting measures through law which aim to deliberately eradicate a living minority language, or endorse any other efforts to shatter active discourse in the language with the intention of causing language death in its nation,

Again confirms an individual's right to learn and write, emphasizing for the purpose of this resolution an individual's right to learn and practice their native language if they so please,

Encourages a multilingual nation to foster healthy linguistic diversity within its borders as suggested from the following committee,

Establishes the World Assembly Language Society (WALS) which shall have two central functions as of the ratification of this resolution:

1. Conducting an academic survey of existing languages, which entails;

• i.) Recording the existence of any living native language within the World Assembly
    ii.) Evaluating the vitality of a language and its designation as a language in danger of language death.
    iii.) Creating an accessible archive of this information to facilitate linguistic research.

2. Acting as an authoritative body on matters of language preservation and revitalization for nations within the World Assembly, which entails;

• i.) Advising and working with receptive governmental bodies on matters of language preservation and revitalization within their jurisdictions .
    ii.) Assisting local efforts with the creation and promotion of programs which educate interested students on their endangered language.
    iii.) Promulgating suggested guidelines on methods for nations to practice linguistic diversity.

Notes that nothing in this resolution is to be construed as to prevent persons from becoming multilingual, to prevent member nations from establishing a national language, instituting compulsory language education, or any other unreasonable interpretation not in the spirit of protecting minority languages from the danger of language death.

In-depth author's analysis:
"Prohibits a member nation from purposely enacting measures through law which aim to deliberately eradicate a living minority language, or endorse any other efforts to shatter active discourse in the language with the intention of causing language death in its nation,"
The intention of this clause is not to protect the speakers of the language directly from discrimination (whom are already protected under the Charter of Civil Rights), but the language itself from policies which seek to purposely eliminate discourse of the language within a nation's borders, either through brazen legal prohibitions of the language's practice, or more subtle methods to discourage its use. An important element of this clause to keep in mind is that:
a.) these policies have to be severe enough to put the language at risk of endangerment or death within its nation. Simply instituting an official language for use in governmental functions and or in public sectors is not sufficient enough to be covered with this provision, though it is addressed later.
b.) The policies to be enacted have to be deliberate, made with the intention of attacking the language's practice. Policies created with a population's goodwill in mind that inadvertently cause decay in proficiency of a language, such as educational initiatives or economic integration of the populace, does not constitute a deliberate attempt to harm the language, and is thus not prohibited.

"Again confirms an individual's right to learn and write, emphasizing for the purpose of this resolution an individual's right to learn and practice their native language if they so please,"
The purpose of this clause in essence is to produce a right for a population to practice their language. The wording of the clause does this by using GA 234 Freedom to Read and Learn as a foundation, and extending its meaning to convey this new sentiment. This was necessary because I want this to be a Cultural Heritage proposal, not a Human Rights proposal, so I couldn't create a standalone right. Declaring something a right gives it more respect and protection, which is why I see it as a constructive tool to protect vulnerable languages.

"Encourages a multilingual nation to foster healthy linguistic diversity within its borders as suggested from the following committee,"
This seeks to protect minority languages by creating an environment where they are tolerated. I wrote as a replay in my thread:
"Healthy linguistic diversity is intentionally broad; but basically it boils down to the dominant culture in a society being tolerant towards minority languages' existence; refraining from enacting an aggressive language policy or pushing for destructive language purism. I understand that every nation needs some form of social integration which may include a preference for the dominant language, which is why this is merely just an encouragement; the first Prohibits clause applies only if these policies lead to language death. I figured that the specifics of the definition would be articulated by my language committee, which nations could look to for guidance."
The purpose for the clause is self-explanatory; it is not a full-stop prohibition like the first clause, recognizing the realities and intricate nature of protecting a language, but it seeks to remove systemic and social burdens that many minority languages face as a contributing factor of language loss.

Onto the committee. The first part of the committee's role is to gather academic information on the endangered languages of the WA. The duties written were specifically selected to assist global efforts to combat language loss by disclosing linguistic data and information on the world's languages. Previous iterations of this proposal had the committee do tasks such as documenting the basic grammar and collecting cultural works. This, however, was edited out in later revisions in order to reduce the workload of the committee.

Now, for the controversial 'preservation and revitalization' part of committee. Previous legislation/proposals on language have failed due to a.) cost vs. benefit concerns, and b.) practically of the committees work load. Much of the concern on the GA forum was the effectiveness of a single WA committee attempting to preserve and revitalize all these languages. This is why the committee has been retooled to being a mere authoritative body on the matter of language preservation and revitalization, developing and promulgating methods and studies to the WA population on how best to achieve this. The committee only goes 'into the field' as to say when it is requested by either a nation's government or local population, where it acts in a supportive rule.

By doing this it is hoped that WA money will only go to genuine efforts that are meaningful and realistic, rather then throwing money away in revitalization attempts that are hopeless, or where the population is apathetic/unwilling. By limiting the scope of the committee to only these cases, the workload is also greatly diminished.

Thank you for considering my application, hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you for submitting your proposal for consideration, this post will be updated with information regarding your application as it becomes available.

Stage: Processed
Date Accepted/Rejected: 06/03/2018
Other Notes:

Edrarin:
WA Nation: Edrarin
Proposal Title: Right to paid parental leave.
Proposal Category: Social Justice
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=436252&p=33482082#p33482082
Proposal Summary: My proposal recognizes the agony some new Mothers or new parents have to go through. My proposal demands paid parental leave of an adequate amount to ensure a safe birth or typical adoption.
Thank you for submitting your proposal for consideration, this post will be updated with information regarding your application as it becomes available.

Stage: MoWAA Leadership - Vote
Date Accepted/Rejected: March 28, 2018
Other Notes:

WA Nation: Veniyerris (it won't always be there, given my status in the NPA, feel free to contact me for my current)
Proposal Title: Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing
Proposal Category: Repeal
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=441480
Proposal Summary: This would repeal "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing" because it decreases industry and is somewhat pointless. Additionally fracking doesn't always harm the environment, especially given the variety of WA nations.

BMWSurfer:
WA Nation: Veniyerris (it won't always be there, given my status in the NPA, feel free to contact me for my current)
Proposal Title: Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=441480
Proposal Summary: This would repeal "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing" because it decreases industry and is somewhat pointless. Additionally fracking doesn't always harm the environment, especially given the variety of WA nations.

Stage: Ministry Staff Review - Vote
Date Accepted/Rejected: TBD
Other Notes:

Limerick1:
WA Nation: Alsace and Lorraine United
Proposal Title: Repeal Sustainable Fishing Act
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=441666&sid=a23bc46c7cb4b2ec5ff50094cc601634
Proposal Summary: works to end regulation of the fishing industry and to leave regulation up to nations rather than the WA. REPEALS GA #199

Stage: Withdrawn
Date Accepted/Rejected: TBD
Other Notes:

Todd:
WA Nation : New-Brussels

Proposal Title : Cryptographic Privacy Act

Council : General Assembly

Proposal Category : Human Rights

Link to Proposal : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440626

Proposal Summary : Privacy and cryptography are two inherently linked concepts. The proposal aims to define that link and fill in the legislative gaps on the matter.

Stage: Awaiting Submission
Date Accepted/Rejected: 5/30/2018
Other Notes:

Limerick1 has requested that we disregard their two sponsorship applications. To that end, they will not be processed.

Please disregard my prior applications as the resolutions have been abandoned

WA Nation:Alsace and Lorraine United
Proposal Title:Protection against open water acidification
Council:General Assembly
Proposal Category: Environmental
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=442157
Proposal Summary:Imposes regulations on manufacturing and dumping in both shared and national waters to slow if not stop the lowering of pH and Co2 content in waters

Any new info on my application ?

EDIT : Oops, accidentally double-clicked Send, you can remove the duplicate post

Todd, you have been officially approved!

Apologies for the wait!

Please contact the leadership staff (Tlomz, Stos, Ghost) of the MoWAA when you are ready to submit!

Thank you for your patience and submission!

WA Nation: Castle Federation
Proposal Title: On the Safety of Minors Online
Proposal Category: Moral Decency
Link to Proposal: Proposal
Proposal Summary: This proposal wishes to place restrictions on internet based businesses that use tactics and psychological means to manipulate children into spending money. The proposal also wishes to limit the maldevelopment of so called "influencers" who constantly solicit fans for money without actually providing a service or good to the consumer. The proposal also calls for a path forward where social media companies and parents can collaborate to ensure that the media that minors consume is acceptable to the parents.

I am also hoping to have my proposal be improved by the WA Affairs office before moving forward to present it to the floor.

Wonderess:
WA Nation: Castle Federation
Proposal Title: On the Safety of Minors Online
Proposal Category: Moral Decency
Link to Proposal: Proposal
Proposal Summary: This proposal wishes to place restrictions on internet based businesses that use tactics and psychological means to manipulate children into spending money. The proposal also wishes to limit the maldevelopment of so called "influencers" who constantly solicit fans for money without actually providing a service or good to the consumer. The proposal also calls for a path forward where social media companies and parents can collaborate to ensure that the media that minors consume is acceptable to the parents.

I am also hoping to have my proposal be improved by the WA Affairs office before moving forward to present it to the floor.

Stage: (1) MoWAA Leadership - Vote
Date Accepted/Rejected:
Other Notes:

WA Nation: THX1138
Proposal Title: Repeal: Don't Kill The Poor Act
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=454287
Proposal Summary:This repeal is not based in an assertion that the WA should be doing more to assist the poor, but rather, draws attention to the fact that in doing nothing for their poor, Nations are essentially engaging in many of the behaviors that are defined in the target, as indicative of war crimes. This has the potential to both undermine the effectiveness of the legislation, and to undermine the protections to those in poverty that the target seeks to achieve.
This is ultimately a call for repeal and replace. There is no current replacement in draft, however, recommendations toward greater clarity in the replacing legislation are outlined in the text of the repeal.

Withdrawing the above application, and have withdrawn the repeal. I overlooked existing legislation #344, which covers most of the concerns I had, and bridges the gap between Don't Kill the Poor Act and GAR#38. Honest Mistake.

WA Nation: Pascolar

Proposal Title: Outer Space Convention

Proposal
Category: International Security

Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=448877

Proposal Summary: The Outer Space Convention establishes outer space as a place for scientific research, but still allows for spacefairing nations to develop. It also provides standards for rescue of astronauts and liability for spacecraft.

Wa nation oliver lim proposal title build project program council security council proposal category roads and highways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back