Night of the Bells

Esplandia

Factbook Addict
-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
Irwin pulled his car over onto the side of the road, taking a quick break to stretch his legs and smoke his last cigarette. He'd picked up the habit from his shipmates. His father would disapprove if he knew. He'd have to go without for the next couple days, so it was as good a time as any to quit.

He could see the roofs of Rathberg up ahead, the church spire towering above the town, and the walls of the castle on the hill beyond. Smoke drifted up from chimneys into the clear cold sky. He wasn't looking forward to being home. He took a long drag before exhaling. His father had pulled strings to make sure he'd be home over the week, and his father wouldn't do that unless he wanted something.

He thought of Elaena in their apartment back in Eborum. He'd promised his next leave to come and see her, a promise he now had to break. She'd understand, one of the wonderful things about her, but it still stung his heart. He hadn't seen her in over a year.

He finished his cigarette, crushed it with his boot, and then got back in the car. He peeled out as he pulled back onto the highway.

Raum Kolta finished up with the paperwork on his desk, signing his name to an authorization form, and then placed his pen down and leaned back in his chair. He'd had a busy afternoon getting ready for his trip, making sure his office staff was ready to run things while he was away. As long as there wasn't a fire, everything should be fine.

He checked his watch. There was still an hour before his train would leave. He decided he'd get something to eat. He called up the deli across the street and put in an order for a Rueben and some fries, saying he'd pick it up in fifteen minutes.

After hanging up the phone he started clearing up his desk and grabbing anything he needed to take along. He'd already had some clothing sent ahead to his destination so he could travel light. He picked up the photo of his wife and looked at it for a moment. He ran his finger over her cheek and smiled. "If you could see me now," he said softly to the picture. Royal Chancellor, the title was still something he'd never imagined to hold.

He put the photo back down on his desk, grabbed his briefcase and headed out the door to pick up his sandwich.

The snow crunched beneath his feet as Baeleg made his way up the hill to the Royal Crypt. Beneath his arm was a small stack of folders, information requested by the king. Many people would think it a strange place to meet the king, but Baeleg knew his friend too well. Something important was going down and there was no where more a comforting place to the king, a quiet place to think, than the catacombs in which the Esplandian kings and queens were buried.

He was stopped at the entrance by two guards, Huskavrls dressed in the red and gold of the Royal Guards. They smiled at him warmly as he checked in with them. "The kings on the third level," one of the guards informed him. "At his mother's tomb."

He took the service lift down to the third level. The temperature inside the tombs was much warmer than outside so Baeleg took off his heavy coat, draping it over his arm, and keeping hold of the files in his hand now.

After getting off the lift he deftly navigated the chambers and hallways. It was not his first time down here.

He found Sherwin in a catacomb with five marble sarcophagus arranged around the edge of the room. Two along the left wall, two on the right, and one directly across from the door.

Only three of the five Sarcophagi were occupied. Baeleg had expected to find Sherwin at the tomb of his mother, the one directly across from the door, but instead he was kneeling in prayer by the only occupied one on the right.

Quietly Baeleg placed his coat down on the lid of an empty sarcophagus, then the files on top of the coat, and then waited quietly for Sherwin to finish.

A minute in quiet passed before Sherwin muttered an amen and stood up. He greeted Baeleg with a hug. "How are the kids?" the king asked.

"Trouble as always," Baeleg answered, picking up the files and handing them to the king. Sherwin took them but only gave them a perfunctory glance. "I'm surprised to find you here," Baeleg said, nodding towards the sarcophagus that Sherwin had been kneeling in front of. "I haven't known you to visit Laena, not since you married Abby."

"I needed her strength," Sherwin said matter-of-factly. "Irwin will not want to hear what I have to say. I was hoping perhaps she'd help."

Baeleg just nodded and placed a comforting hand on the king's shoulder. A wordless moment of understanding passed between the two, father to father.

"He should be here any moment, so I suppose it's time to go back up." Baeleg grabbed his coat as the king lead the way out of the catacombs.

Irwin's car passed through the gates of Rathberg Castle, pulling to a stop by the old carriage house at the bottom of the crypt hill. He saw his father and Baeleg coming down the footpath followed by two Huskavrls dressed in the red uniform of the Royal Guard. He knew they were Huskavrls by the gray wolf's head emblem on their upper left sleeve. It was odd to see Huskavrls at Rathberg, though at times they wore the royal guard uniform.

Irwin got out of his car and greeted them. "Hello father. Hello Baeleg," he said. He shook Baeleg's hand and then hugged his father.

"It's good to see you," Baeleg told the prince.

"How's Elaena?" his father asked.

"She's good," he replied. "She'll be finishing her residency this year."

They exchanged a few more pleasantries as they walked towards the manor. The Huskavrls followed ten paces behind.

"Will you be staying for dinner?" Irwin asked Baeleg.

"No, I'm headed home to Kastor," he answered. "Spend the holiday with the family."

"Give them my wishes." Baeleg nodded affirmatively. Irwin was quite fond of the Gents, just like his father was. Baeleg was a good man and his father's closest friend. Baeleg's oldest daughter was his sister's closest friend and both of them had joined the Ministry of Civil Order in Karthied.

The three men entered the manor, and Sherwin dismissed the guards who headed off towards the guard house down by the gate. As Irwin entered the house and saw the familiar environs, for a moment he was glad to be home.

It was always a pleasure to make it back home, a rarity for Sherwin. Most his time was spent in Karthied. He'd set time aside to spend at Rathberg but recently he'd have to change those plans because of some great event taking precedence. It would only be for today before he had to leave for Alstenbek in the morning, but it was still nice to have some time with Abigail and at least three of his children.

"Baeleg and I have a little more business to attend to," he said to Irwin, "but I'm sure Silvia and Edwin would love to see you."

Baeleg then followed Sherwin up to his study. The king was certainly starting to feel his age, climbing the steps left his knee aching. It was a relief to sit down in his chair.

He put on his reading glasses and opened up the first of the files Baeleg had brought him. It didn't take him long to read through them all. He finished and looked at Baeleg. "What could Sigurt possibly be thinking?"

Baeleg shruggged. "I knew he'd be against your proposal, but to actively start suppressing the civil rights of his Aernish citizens doesn't make sense."

"He actually arrested Caerwynn Raedermann?" He asked rhetorically looking at the specific file again. "This is going to spark violence."

"Caerwynn seems to be the only one looking for a mutual solution," Baeleg offered. "This arrest shows King Sigurt won't accept anything but Hastfradic dominion."

Sherwin got up and went to his office bar, pouring two glasses of Brandy. "What do you think of Raum's proposal?" He asked, handing a glass to Baeleg. "Is that our only option to avoid a bloody conflict?"

Baeleg sipped at his drink. "I feel violence is gonna happen either way, but Raum's way will have the fewest casualties and not have lasting animosity. I think you should go ahead with it."

Sherwin finished his own glass and placed it on his desk. "Alright. It's time to talk to Irwin."

"Look on the bright side," Baeleg said standing up, "talking to your son will be much easier than confronting King Sigurt."

Sherwin shot his friend a look, one that said he'd rather face the Alstenbekan King.

After his father left Irwin made his way to the eastern solarium, where he found his stepmother and two youngest siblings. Silvia was walking around holding baby Edwin up as he walked precariously around the room. His stepmother was lounging on a couch, reading a book while periodically looking up to check on her children.

Irwin watched them for a bit, smiling as little Edwin kept falling down, landing on his bottom. After doing this a couple times he decided to just sit there and ignore his sister's prodding to get up. When she tried to grab under his arms to stand him up he just rolled onto his back, away from her. This made Irwin laugh.

Silvia looked up when she heard him and once she saw who it was she beamed a smile. "Irwin!" She cried, running over to give him a hug.

He picked her up and she squeezed around his back. "How are you, little bean?" He asked his sister.

"Good," she answered. "Why haven't you visited?"

"I wish I could visit more," he answered. "But you know I serve on a submarine and can't just leave when I want to."

"Why not?" She said pouting. "You're the prince. They have to listen to you."

"That's not how it works," he laughed. He put her down as his stepmother came over. She was carrying little Edwin who was looking at Irwin with a curious expression.

"How have you been, Irwin?" she asked.

"Very well thank you," he kissed her cheek stiffly and then planted a warm one on his brother's forehead. Edwin just looked on, wondering what was going on. "You look well," he continued. "Getting sleep?"

"Edwin's finally sleeping through the night," she confirmed.

"Irwin I have something to show you," Silvia interrupted, tugging on his arm.

He allowed himself to be led away where his sister started showing him all the toys she had bought for Edwin the last time she'd gone with their father to Karthied. She was quite proud of them. There were wooden blocks, wooden cars, plastic rattles, and a couple of dinosaurs which she said was the coolest ones.

Irwin gave positive support, agreeing with how cool they were and that she had picked the best toys. It was nice to take a moment and play. Silvia was certainly happy to see him and he had missed her as well.

He played with her until his father returned with Baeleg. The count exchanged pleased with Abigail before saying good night. He made his apologies and then left.

"Have you had dinner?" His father asked.

"No, sir"

"Well let's go find something then." This got a cry of dismay from Silvia who insisted they weren't done playing but their father told her she could wait to play with her brother. Irwin then followed his father as they headed off towards the kitchen.

Irwin followed his father out of the solarium. They made a quick stop at the kitchen where the chef whipped them up a salad and some cold chicken in an olive and bean sauce.

They ate their meal in a small alcove in the eastern wing of the castle. They could see the snow covered fields stretching away towards the ocean.

Sherwin talked about the previous years brew. Irwin was more of a wine or scotch man, but he politely listened to his father discussing the intricacies of beer making. It was only conversation to fill the time until his father decided to broach the subject that had been the reason for Irwin to come home.

It wasn’t until they’d finished eating that his father finally spoke of the matter. Irwin was wiping his mouth with a napkin when his father said. “I need you to take up the office of the Duke of Valdaegn.”

Irwin couldn’t hide his surprise. It was not something that had even entered his mind. He’d been expecting his father to want to send him on some diplomatic mission. Send the son of the king to make a good impression.

“Are you dying?” Irwin asked, bluntly. It was traditional for the crown prince to be raised to the duchy once the current monarch knew of their approaching demise.

“I’m in perfect health for a man my age,” Sherwin answered. “No, this is a matter of some delicacy. You’ve heard about my proposal to the League?”

“The Aernish State?” Irwin nodded. “That’s why Baeleg was here. I assume Sigurt and Kermen are against it.”

“Kermen is in full support. He helped Raum and I draft the proposal. Sigurt was always going to fight against it. No it’s Reinhold and Esmeralda, we just don’t know which way they’ll vote.”

“Hold on, Kermen supports this?” The Prince was shocked to hear that the Chancellor of Walken-Strasberg was for cutting out a third of his country as part of the proposed Aernish state.

“Ulveraernholm is majority Aernish anyway. They’ve constantly been a thorn in the side of Kermen and his predecessors. It only makes sense. Like I said, it’s the Hastenfraktan monarchs who are the issue.”

“And you want five extra votes when it comes time to vote on this?” Irwin asked. “You want to stack the deck in your favor.”

The king didn’t answer. Irwin day back in thought. This would change things for sure. Fair representation for the Aernish in the League’s Landesgrad made sense. And to be Duke of Valdaegn, that was something he wanted. A title and a vote.

“You want me to walk away from my naval career. It was a statement, not a question.

“Yes,” his father said. “I know you wanted to make captain. I won’t force you. Not on this. It’s an offer, and an offer only.”

“I...I don’t know how to answer this.” Irwin said.

“Take your time. I’ll be in Alstenbek for the Night of the Bells. Trying to convince Sigurt to change his mind. We can talk about this again when I get back.”

Irwin only nodded. He was already trying to figure out what course of action to follow.

“In the meantime,” Sherwin spoke, standing up and gathering the dirty dishes, “Go spend time with Alaena. I won’t take up your entire leave.”

Raum Kolta sipped at his coffee as the train passed through Walken-Strasberg countryside. He’d tried reading but the movement of the train made it hard to concentrate.

It was night out, but a nearly full moon lit up the countryside and he found himself watching it pass, his mind drifting off. He had grown up in central Strasberg, his sons still living near the Capital. It was nice that he’d be able to spend the holiday with them, drink spiced ale as the city bells tolled out the count.

The first of his grandchildren had been born a couple months before and his work in Esplandia had kept him from seeing her. And now his younger son was getting married in the summer. Two years away and everything had changed.

He wished he was heading straight home, but he had one stop to make. A personal request from the King to travel to Lamidath. The King was not going to lose this upcoming vote.

This had been partly his own brain child. His mother was Aernish and he believed it was time for them to have a say in regional affairs. The question remained though how far the King was willing to go to make sure the vote succeeded. Raum’s own plan had shocked the King, but Sherwin hadn’t turned it down.

It just confirmed what Raum suspected about him. The King could get his hands dirty if needed, probably had in the past. He was his mother’s son, but more than that, he had his grandfather’s keen mind for politics.

Sherwin was the leader that Raum had always wanted to follow. He’d once thought Raenard Algmastat, the old Prime Minister of Walken-Strasberg was that man, but he’d allowed his personal biases to bring the Duchy to the brink of internal war. But Sherwin had stepped in and saved them from that and used the situation as a catalyst to create the League. Whatever future there was for Strasberg was now tied with Esplandia, and Raum would make sure it was a grand future.

Soon he could see the lights of Lamidath ahead in the distance as the train headed towards its destination.

They took tea in the Vizier’s office, Raum enjoying his with lemon while the Vizier drank his straight. Algon Chopra was a jovial, if slightly loud, man and he seemed genuinely pleased to meet with Raum, even if it was so late that most people who were up right now were the really early risers.

They enjoyed some small talk. Algon asked about Raum’s kids, while the Royal Chancellor did the same. They complained about the weather and wished it was warmer. It seemed like they were old friends, but this was the first time the two men had ever met.

“You’ve brought me King Sherwin’s proposal?” Algon asked, after having a good laugh about his hate for the snow. “His initial one stirred up quite a row in the League Landesgrad. I’m sure this new one will be even better.”

Raum complied, taking a packet out of his briefcase and handing it to the Vizier. “I think you’ll find this one even more surprising than the first.”

Algon tore it open and began reading through the documents. It was a thick packet and took the Vizier some time. Raum waited patiently and watched the Vizier’s expression change from amusement to surprise, then to amazement and finally to outright shock. Half way through he put the packet down and poured himself more tea, this time adding a healthy dose of brandy to his drink.

He sat back down, taking a deep draught from his mug. He coughed. “I was not expecting this,” he said. “This will reshape the Hastfradic League, hell the whole balance of power in the Vestrugat.”

“It will change the balance of power for Austalgotha,” Raum said assuredly. “You’ll be one of the biggest players in Hastfradic affairs. A deciding vote from this day on.”

“You’ll be dividing up Walken-Strasberg?”

Raum shrugged. “WS has been divided since it’s inception. The whole duchy was set up simply to avert a war. Now however, it’s people are too dissimilar to work together.”

Algon nodded in agreement. He hadn’t read the whole proposal but he had gotten enough to understand the whole deal.

“The Aernish will get there own state,” Raum continued. “Made up of Ulveraernholm, Ulsteraernholm (if King Sigurt can agree), and northern Aernavaegn. Esplandia will annex Strasberg as a full fledged province. And Walken will be annexed into Austalgotha, doubling your territory and vote.”

Algon breathed deeply. He could see the benefits. “I understand the need to divide Walken-Strasberg, but the duchy is a protectorate of Esplandia. Why doesn’t your king annex Walken as well?”

“Walken is far too liberal, and the people there don’t want to be ruled by a monarch. The best way to avoid future conflict is by not forcing Walkenlanders to accept something they’re against. They get to be part of a republic and the animosity between them and Strasberg becomes a non-issue.”

Raum watched Algon as he thought it over. It was a generous proposal. The only roadblock was the king of Alstenbek, but if he couldn’t be persuaded then Sherwin would follow Raum’s backup plan. Hastenfrakta wouldn’t like the new status quo of course, but if Sherwin ended up following through on Raum’s plan, then they’d either vote in favor to avoid a confrontation or vote against out of protest. The outcome by that point though would be the same. Sherwin would have enough support elsewhere for the proposal to pass. The Aernish would have their own state. As long as Algon Chopra agreed.

The Vizier thought it over, but it really didn’t take him long to decide. “Tell your king that he’s got my support. It’ll be nice to see King Reinhold and his damned wife turn green when this goes before the Landesgrad.” Algon then laughed loudly.

Sherwin caught some sleep on his flight to Nalgorhaem, the capital of Alstenbek. He’d got to spend a bit more time with his family. Irwin stayed for the night, playing with his sister and baby brother.

In the morning Sherwin said goodbye to his family before he got aboard a helicopter which flew him to the royal airport at Karthied. He then flew from there to Alstenbek. It was a short flight, just under two hours, but it was enough to get a good nap in. He was getting old and looked forward to his naps these days.

He was greeted at the Airport by Alstenbek’s Minister of Trade, a cabinet member, but certainly not one who should be greeting a king. It was a statement and Sherwin didn’t miss the significance. Raum was likely correct in his assessment. King Sigurt had not wanted to join the League, but felt obligated out of fear of being overpowered by his neighbors once they united. Now he was doing what he could to create animosity within the League.

Sherwin was provided with a room at the Royal Palace in Nalgorhaem, and told the king was indisposed until the evening. When Sherwin insisted he needed to meet with Sigurt sooner he was politely informed that it would be impossible. When he was alone he made a phone call.

“You’re calling sooner than I thought,” came the voice of Alwyn Skywing after the second ring.

“Sigurt has deemed it necessary to put me in a room, out of the way, until this evening.”

“So we’re moving ahead, then?”

Sherwin took a moment before he answered, but he had already made up his mind. “Yes, if you don’t hear otherwise from me before the last bell rings, then issue the order.” He then hung up.

Irwin delayed leaving for Eborum after his father left, deciding to have breakfast at the castle. Afterwards he roamed the grounds, looking at some of the snow figures his sister had most obviously made. Then he left the walls and took a walk in the woodlands to the north of Rathberg, reminiscing about the times he’d played in these woods.

As the morning passed he returned to the castle and headed up to the royal bedrooms. There was one thing he felt he needed to do before he left. He knocked on the door and heard his stepmother tell him to enter.

She was resting on a couch that was by the rooms large windows. Abigail was reading, something she was always doing no matter where she went.

“I’d thought you left,” she said upon seeing who it was.

“I wanted to walk the grounds a bit,” Irwin answered. “Where’s Edwin?” He asked seeing the empty crib.

“His nurse took him down for breakfast.”

Irwin nodded. He looked around the room, remembering how safe he’d always felt coming in here as a child. Later on he hated coming in here, remembering how his mother slowly wasted away. Now though, despite all the memories, it was just a room.

“I owe you an apology,” he said to his stepmother, looking right into her eyes. “I have been an ungrateful stepson, and I was a horrid child towards you.”

“Oh that’s not true,” she replied smiling warmly.

“It is,” he insisted. “I hated you for so long because I thought you were replacing my mother. And you weren’t. I’ve known that’s not true for a while but I hated you out of habit. But now I know you married my father because you loved him, and you did your best to care for me. And I’m grateful.”

She didn’t say anything in response, but tears started falling down her face. She smiled and sobbed, and Irwin moved towards her. He sat down and she hugged him and he hugged her back. They hugged for awhile, neither saying a word. After a while Abigail pulled away and wiped her eyes.

Irwin didn’t know what else to say so he just remained silent. Abigail dabbed at her eyes with a tissue, and then she laughed. Irwin raised an eyebrow in confusion.

“When are you planning to propose?” She asked.

Irwin was stunned. If he hadn’t already been speechless he’d have been so now. She laughed again at the shocked look on his face.”

“It’s that serious then?” She asked.

“How did you know?” He asked in reply.

“You’re so in love that you’re reevaluating yourself as a person. You want to be a better man for her. You apologized to me because you know you aren’t the man she deserves but you want to be. You apologized because you love her.” She put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed lovingly. “I won’t tell your father. You should. But congratulations, Irwin. I know she’ll say yes.”

“Thanks,” he said, his voice faltering. “Thank you...mom,” he added.

Evening seemed to be a while in coming, but it gave Sherwin plenty of time to get ready. He had brought his white dress uniform, which had recently been let out due to the belly that years of beer and less and less exercise had given him.

He still cut a good figure in it though. He’d polished the buttons and brass trimmings before he’d left and touched them up before putting the uniform on. He then put on his medals and service badges, before putting the gray wolfs-head of the Huskavrls on his upper left arm. Finally he draped his sash of office over his shoulder and belted on his saber.

If Sigurt wanted to play power games then Sherwin intended to intimidate in full regalia. Then he sat on the end of the bed and waited.

Just after six one of Sigurt’s personal guards arrived to lead him to the King. When the guard motioned for Sherwin to follow, the King instead took the lead. It wasn’t the first time he’d been here and he knew the way to where Sigurt would be.

There was a balcony on the northern side of the palace that looked over the city and towards the Lake. It would be here that the King of Alstenbek and his guests would listen as the twelve bells were rung.

Sherwin arrived expecting to see a large gathering of the nobility and guests of the king, but aside from three retainers dressed in blue and white, and two guards just inside the balcony, only Sigurt was there.

The Alstenbeken King was sitting in his wheelchair, a thick wool blanket draped over his legs. Next to him was a table with some cheeses and sausages, some wine and tea, and a steaming pot of tea set out. A chair for Sherwin was available.

He now felt overdressed, but he walked over boldly and greeted his political rival. “You look well, grand uncle,” he said. “I didn’t expect to be the first to arrive.”

Sigurt grinned at him, a crooked and secretive smile. “That’s because you’re my only guest tonight, nephew.”

Sigurt’s words startled Sherwin, but he hid his unease and smiled back at his great uncle. He took a seat and poured himself some tea.

“You know this means I’m going to talk your ear off about my proposal,” he said jovially.

Sigurt snorted a reply and looked out over the city, the last orange light of the day reflecting off the Widdenmaer Lake.

Sherwin took a moment to relax and look around, checking out the faces of the servants in attendance and the faces of the two guards. They all seemed at ease, so if Sigurt was planning something they were likely uninvolved.

Sherwin asked about Sigurt’s family to which he received a grumpy reply. “My son is reciting the Edjadda at the Landesgrad tonight, and his two boys are there sucking up to the cameras. Showing off their supermodel wives.”

“You don’t approve?” Sherwin asked.

“Bah, they can marry who they like,” the old king responded. “Just wished they weren’t so damn proud of themselves.”

“I wish Irwin would just decide and get married,” Sherwin admitted. “He’s been with this girl for six years now. It’s time. His career isn’t that important to miss out on love and family.”

“Is this that shipwrights daughter?” Sigurt asked, feigning interest but coming across as disapproving. The future king of Esplandia marrying someone below his station? Sigurt was certainly a man of his times.

“The same,” Sherwin answered. Sherwin then took the time before the bells rang to try and convince Sigurt to back his proposal. Sigurt quietly listened as he explained why the Aernish should get their own state. “There won’t be anymore protests against Hastfradic rule,” and “A vote will show the Aernish that we believe they’re equals.”

It was an impassioned speech, one that Sherwin had been thinking about and practicing over the last couple days, one he hoped would, if not change the older man’s mind, at least get him to budge on his position.

“Our nation’s have stood together before, let’s stand together again,” Sherwin finished.

Sigurt continued to state across the city, the sky now completely dark, night fully settled over the city. He sighed, and then looked at Sherwin. “If the King of Esplandia says it, we must all fall in line?” He asked. Sherwin attempted to contest but Sigurt cut him off. “Your Mother was always quick to remind me of the debt Alstenbek owed, and your grandfather never let me forget how many times Esplandia pulled our asses out of the fire. Alstenbek will not be overshadowed by you or your country.”

They were interrupted by the first bell of the evening ringing out across the city. The rescue had begun. Or more accurately, the commemoration of the rescue of Avalus from her prison, as nine bells rang out over the city. It was also a commemoration of the Hastfrads embracing who they were, their old traditions and their new.

“Aenst,” both men said in unison, taking a drink of beer.

“I can’t support your proposal,” Sigurt said as the bell’s echoes died down. “Giving away an entire province? It’s not going to happen.”

The second bell rang out. “Twast,” both men said and drank.”

“Esplandia will be giving away northern Aernavaegn,” Sherwin argued, “An area twice the size of Ulsteraernholm.”

The third bell rang. “Thraest!” Both men drank again.

“This isn’t about weakening each other,” Sherwin continued. “It’s about cooperation. About a better future.”

The next bell rang. “Faeorst.” They took another drink.

“Then why not give up all of Aernavaegn?” Sigurt contested. “Why keep Idjo? Instead you keep the industrial heart of Western Esplandia.”

Another bell rang. “Faefest.” Another drink.

Sherwin was aware that time was running out. Only four more bells and Raum’s plan would be irreversible. “The Aernish deserve a homeland.”

“Then give them Esplandia,” Sigurt retorted.

Another bell rang. “Saegst.” Another drink. Three more to go.

“Dammit,” Sherwin said. “I’m asking for you to work with me. You don’t like the proposal? Let’s rewrite it together. What would Alstenbek want in exchange for cooperating?”

Another bell rang. Two more left. “Saefest.” Another drink.

“Alstenbek wants nothing from Esplandia,” Sigurt answered. “We don’t care if the Aernish get a homeland. Let them waste away and be gone. What does it matter?”

The next bell rang. One left. “Aetest.” Another drink.

“You can’t be serious?” Sherwin said in disgust. “This will only cause more conflict, more deaths. What do you really want?”

Sigurt grinned coldly. “Nothing from you.”

The last bell rang. “Naenst.” Sigurt finished his beer but Sherwin drank only a little. Avalus had been saved, the Hastfrads were free, and what was about to transpire was now out of Sherwin’s hands to stop.

Raum slept in until it was already past noon. His late meeting with Algon meant his arrival in Strasberg was very early in the morning. His son had let him in, and they’d spent an hour catching up before he started falling asleep in his chair.

After waking he was greeted by his son and daughter-in-law, as well as his five month old granddaughter. He spent the afternoon just holding the baby girl while his son cooked up a roast. It was the most peaceful day he’d spent since accepting the position of Royal Chancellor.

Later that day his younger son arrived, bringing some beer. With his granddaughter napping the three men sat drinking and catching up.

When evening came they bundled up and headed into town, gathering in one of the larger plazas. The mayor read from the Edjadda, telling the tale of the very first Night of the Bells.

Avalus had been imprisoned high in a tower for refusing to become the bride of a greedy prince. Her closest friends hatched a daring plan to infiltrate the tower and spirit her away. Under the cover of the city’s bells they were able to find her and rescue her, setting off a rebellion that would end in the Hastfrads leaving to cross the sea in search of a new home. Nine bells rang in total in the time it took them to enter the tower and then leave with her.

To the Hastfrads this day was a day to celebrate their culture, and to share time with family.

Raum smiled at his sons and kissed his granddaughter on the forehead as the Edjadda was read. It was a pleasure to be home.

Then the first bell rang and Raum allowed himself to be troubled for a second. He already knew that Sigurt wouldn’t support Sherwin. The old king was far too stubborn and thought only of his country and not of the Vestrugat. Raum knew there would be blood. And most of it would be on his hands.

Then the second bell rang and Raum once again enjoyed the time with his family. The course had been set and balking now wouldn’t change anything.

Sherwin sat in silence now that the bells had stopped ringing. He was lost in thought. Sigurt however interrupted him.

“You have nothing else to say?” The old king asked.

Sherwin stirred from his contemplation. “It wouldn’t matter at this point.”

Sigurt smiled slyly again. “You’re scheming,” he said. “I see the wheels turning. Your mother often had the same look when she was scheming too. She was much better at it. One of the few things I admired about her. Still I did beat her at scheming once.”

Sigurt’s smile had become smug and it was apparent that he was trying to goad Sherwin. Yet he could only feel sorry for his great uncle. “Her dream had been to form the Hastfradic League,” Sherwin mused. But it had been Sigurt who had made that fall through. “Seems I succeeded at that.”

Sigurt snorted in derision. “That was Kolta and Almagenset more than you,” he said bluntly.

“Yes,” Sherwin agreed. “I’m certainly not my mother. Political scheming was never my strength nor am I any good at all these secrets and maneuverings. That’s why I have to surround myself with men who are.” Sherwin then poured two shots of brandy, one for himself and the other for Sigurt. He passed the glass to the older man, then raised his own. “To Esplandia and Alstenbek,” he drank.

“To the Hastfradic League,” Sigurt answered in mock sincerity. Then he followed suit, sipping from his glass as well.

As both men put their glasses back down a large explosion on the far side of the city startled them both.

The crowd outside the Alstenbek Landesgrad building were the largest the city had seen in some time. To have the crown prince read from the Edjadda was an event not likely to be repeated for some time.

Prince Sigurt Sigurtsen stood at the top of the stairs, a podium before him with the Edjadda opened. His voice was then broadcast across the square and over the air for those watching or listening at home. Next to him stood his wife Marina on his left with his eldest son Ekbret and his wife. On his right stood the younger son Thormond and his wife. The happy royal family sharing the spotlight together.

Sigurt’s has a smooth and practiced voice, a natural sound for public reading, and he made the story of the Night of the Bells come alive. He finished the last line and the crowd cheered enthusiastically. They were only silenced when Sigurt raised both his arms calling for silence. The first bell rang out and the prince called out the first number which was repeated by the crowd. He did so for each consecutive ring, with the crowd becoming louder each time.

When the last bell rang the cheering rose in volume and Sigurt just stood there listening to the joyous crowd. He waited for them to calm back down, making no move to stop the crowd, instead reveling in their excitement.

It took a solid two minutes before the cheering lessened and finally Sigurt raised his arms again for silence. The crowd quieted down. He cleared his throat and began to speak the last line of the Edjadda.

In that instant the entirety of the Landesgrad steps and the front of the building went up in a great fireball, the heat of the blast knocking the crowd over, chunks of stone blasted away and rained down on those gathered. Cheers turned into screams and people began to flee in panic. There was no sign of the royal family.

Sigurt and Sherwin stared at the explosion dumbfounded. The attendants gasped, but no one moved. It was Sherwin who reacted first. He turned to the waiting guards. “You need to seal off the building, get more guards up here. And get the civilians to safety.” He gestured to the attendants and the guards moved to comply, ushering everyone out of the room.

Sherwin grabbed Sigurt’s wheelchair and moved to pull it back. “We need to get off the balcony,” he said.

“No!” Sigurt replied, reaching down and grabbing the wheel firmly so it wouldn’t turn. “You did this,” he snarled. “You did this to kill my children.”

Sherwin stepped away from the old king and moved to stand beside his own chair. Sigurt turned his wheelchair to face his nephew, a look of pure loathing in his eyes.

“You tried to kill my daughter,” Sherwin stated coldly. “To what?To start an internal conflict?”

“I did no such thing,” Sigurt spat.

“I’ve known for five years. I knew almost right after. Don’t lie to me! Not to me!”

“And this makes us even?” Sigurt gestured toward the still burning flames in the distance. “I try to kill one of yours and you kill three of mine?”

“This is more than that,” he answered. “This is about the Vestrugat, about the future. I won’t let you stop us.”

“This is war,” Sigurt said. “I will see you dead, your nation...” he took a gasping breath, “Esplandia will burn!”

“Not today,” Sherwin assured him.

“You won’t leave...” he gasped again, “...alive. My guards will...” gasp “...see to it. You won’t...” he trailed off trying to catch his breath.

“Win?” Sherwin finished for him. “I won five minutes ago when you drank a toast from a poisoned glass. By time your guards get here you’ll be dead.” Sherwin stepped closer. Sigurt tried to look up, to reach out and stop Sherwin from approaching, but he was barely able to lift his hand an inch before it fell back into his lap.

Sherwin leaned in closely so that Sigurt would hear his last words. “You should never have tried to harm my children. Not Amelia, and not the people of the Vestrugat. They are all my children.”

He stood up and started to push the old king inside. “Let’s not be out here when your guards arrive.”

A state of emergency was called throughout the Hastfradic League and a full investigation was soon underway. Sigurt’s death following the assassination of the royal family was a double blow to the people of Alstenbek.

Esplandia and Hastenfrakta, on the invitation of the Alstenbeker Landesgrad sent forces to help keep the peace.

Soon after the bombing evidence came forward pointing to a pro-Aernish organization being responsible for the bombing. This threatened to turn violent as Hastfrads began harassing Aernish. But it was soon revealed that it was Hastfrads who had grown frustrated with Sigurt’s anti-Aernish policies that had carried out the attack.

The news reported on this turn of events round the clock. Any news sites that didn’t follow the narrative were soon brought into line. Twelve people were arrested for the attack and as the nation prepared for the trial things quieted down.

The issue of succession was now the major issue. Only one of Sigurt’s legitimate children remained alive; his daughter Naeva. But it was well known that her mental health was quite poor.

Yet the Landesgrad ordered a psychological evaluation anyway. A team of psychologists interviewed her and reported to the nobles that she was in no fit state to take the throne.

The next in line was Sherwin, the grandson of Sigurt’s sister. After a week of deliberations the Landesgrad at last approached the Esplandian King, offering him the throne.

Sherwin politely refused it. “The League will soon vote on whether or not to create a homeland for the Aernish,” Sherwin explained. “I can not in good conscious use this situation to force my way onto this decision. After the vote, if the Alstenbek people will have me then I will gratefully accept rule over them.”

A week before the vote was to take place Irwin accepted his father’s offer. He officially resigned his commission and was raised to Duke of Valdaegn.

After the prince was granted the title, his father, Sherwin gave him a brief hug. But Irwin had other news as well.

“Father,” he said as they left the Landesgrad and headed towards the King’s office for a congratulatory drink. “I asked Elaena to marry me and she said yes.”

Sherwin stopped in his tracks and gave his son a firm and affectionate hug. “Congratulations,” The King said. “I’m so happy for you.”

The news officially broke the day after, happy news for Esplandia after weeks of dreary news.

Recent Headlines:
The Hastfradic League Votes in Favor of the Creation of an Aernish Free State
The Karthied Herald, February 2018

Sherwin is Crowned King Sherwin I of Alstenbek
The Karthied Herald, March 2018

The Creation of an Aernish State Calls Into Question the ‘Hastfradic’ League
The Karthied Herald, March 2018

The Hastfradic League is Dissolved and Replaced by the Federation of the Vestrugat
The Karthied Herald, April 2018

The Federation of the Vestrugat Adopts a New Flag
The Karthied Herald, April 2018
1SYYeXcl.png

Back