Drasnia for Attorney General

Drasnia

TNPer
Howdy folks, Dras here.

I may be a recent arrival to TNP, but I've been around NS for quite a while. I don't have terribly much experience in Judicial branch positions, having mainly served in Executive branch positions, but I still know a decent amount of law.

If you have any questions (and I know Zyvet does!), feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them to your satisfaction.

And remember to vote Drasnia on Election Day :tnp:

Hello, I have some questions.

In what circumstances is it appropriate for the Attorney General to utilise their general standing in relation to requests for review to bring a matter to the Court? Are there different considerations in relation to matters where individual residents, or classes of them, are likely to be considered to be affected parties as compared to matters where it is likely that no individual or class could be so considered?

In what circumstances would it be appropriate to exercise the discretion of the Attorney General to refuse to prosecute a criminal complaint?

The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond? Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate, a Minister, or an Election Commissioner?

At present the law of evidence in TNP is contained almost wholly in the Rules of the Court and in rulings of the Court, should consideration be given to endeavouring to codify at least some of the law of evidence and add it to the Codified Law? Why or why not?

Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?

As the Attorney General is often not a very demanding job, except when it is, how will you prepare for the occassions when the AG is needed to act?

Do you plan to appoint any Deputy AG and if so how many?

How will you prepare any DAGs that you might appoint?

Do you see the office of the Attorney General as being a reactive or proactive position?

Being asked of all candidates.

Hi Drasnia I have a question. Do you have any experience that has to do with law enforcement or the judicial system and if so please go into detail about it. Also if elected, what are you going to do first as Attorney General. Thanks.

The following complaints are made(with credible evidence supporting them):

1."The Speaker violated their Standing Procedures!"
2."The Speaker refused to give me citizenship! I passed both checks! This is outrageous!"
3."The Speaker is biased! I presented my wonderful bill and demanded the speaker to bring it to vote ASAP, but they declined!"
4."The Vice Delegate refused to admit me as Citizen because I didn't endorse the delegate! The Regional Assembly upheld that decision on the same reason! That is a violation of my rights!"
5."My army application was rejected because I was deemed not trustworthy!"
6."The Delegate is planning a coup!"
7.The Minister of Defense complains:"The Delegate and 20 members of the Army have just performed a DDOS attack against a forum of an enemy we declared war on without my prior knowledge! That is illegal!"

Please elaborate your reactions and possible indictments, in detail.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Hello, I have some questions.

In what circumstances is it appropriate for the Attorney General to utilise their general standing in relation to requests for review to bring a matter to the Court? Are there different considerations in relation to matters where individual residents, or classes of them, are likely to be considered to be affected parties as compared to matters where it is likely that no individual or class could be so considered?
Thanks for the questions. Sorry, it took a while to reply. I still have family over from Thanksgiving so I didn't have time to sit down and focus long enough to answer these until now. :)

There are two general circumstances where it would be appropriate to use my standing. The first is when there is nobody that can establish standing for a case yet a case should be brought forward to the court. The second is when standing is difficult for a complainant to establish and the matter requires expediency for optimal results. So instead of going through the many legal hoops to try and establish standing for the complainant, the AG instead brings the case to the court for consideration. I don't imagine either scenarios are likely to happen however, and I am, in general, loathe to use sweeping powers like that unless absolutely necessary.

In what circumstances would it be appropriate to exercise the discretion of the Attorney General to refuse to prosecute a criminal complaint?
It is my belief that the purpose of regional governments in NS is to foster a healthy community wherein many players can play the game, get along, have a great time. During my time in Capitalist Paradise, I saw several times, players trying to maliciously use the courts to ruin/damage the reputation and/or the enjoyment from another player(s). Ultimately, the courts and the AG should only be used to better the region and community. If the case is obviously spurious and the intent is only to do harm and not to correct an injustice, either the AG or the Courts should refuse to take the case. I'll give an example:

In Spring 2016, a Court Justice in Capitalist Paradise flamed another player on the RMB. This was not this guy's first or even fifth time flaming people during his time in the region. The Vocals, an organization consisting of former Delegates who's main duty is to regularly evaluate and help guide government officials, received multiple complaints and told him to stop with the flaming. He was not happy, and so instead filed a petition in the court. (You can find it here, but it's long and not a very enjoyable read.) The whole case was to try and get back at us and eventually did nothing but create a schism in the community which ended with several prominent members (including a former delegate and a former minister) leaving.

One of the justices in private told one of us Vocals that they had already made up their mind about the complaint before accepting it (siding with the Vocals) and that in retrospect, they should never have taken that case.

I don't want that sort of thing ever happening again in a community I'm a part of. For all involved, it was a hellish thing and I'd do everything I legally and ethically could to try and stop it before it could begin.

The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond?
Quite simply: I would compile the relevant evidence and the laws I believed were broken and petition the court.

Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate, a Minister, or an Election Commissioner?
No. No government official should ever be above the law. That is how tyranny starts. I do have faith in government officials, however, that they wouldn't willfully disregard and break laws lightly.

At present the law of evidence in TNP is contained almost wholly in the Rules of the Court and in rulings of the Court, should consideration be given to endeavouring to codify at least some of the law of evidence and add it to the Codified Law? Why or why not?
No, not really. It doesn't seem like there's been much of a problem with it. Allowing the court a bit of flexibility with evidence - especially in a game where there are so many methods of communication (telegrams, IRC, Skype, Discord, etc.) - codifying such things can potentially restrict the court enough that the optimal ruling cannot be legally reached.

Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?
I don't see anything wrong with the current law on sentencing. Generally, I advocate for giving government flexibility to better judge and punish more fairly on an individual, case-by-case basis, but the current law looks to give more than ample flexibility based on the severity of the crimes committed.

Artemis:
As the Attorney General is often not a very demanding job, except when it is, how will you prepare for the occassions when the AG is needed to act?
There's no way to prepare for those occasions properly, really. The best any of us can do is ensure there is an ample number of deputies of diverse enough backgrounds so that there is never a case where everybody in the AG's office must recuse themselves for conflicts of interest and also to ensure that there are always people active enough to be able to handle a court case if the AG cannot.

Do you plan to appoint any Deputy AG and if so how many?
I don't have any set number. It really depends on the quality of the candidates, among other factors. 3-4 does stick out in my mind to be robust enough to ensure that no matter when or what happens we can respond quickly and effectively.

How will you prepare any DAGs that you might appoint?
I'll make sure every deputy knows where they stand within the office (who will be the first one to fill in for me if I'm unavailable), have all the resources they need (how to easily find relevant pieces of law and search the list of court rulings, etc.), among other things I'm probably forgetting right now (since it's 10:30 at night on Thanksgiving weekend) :lol:

Do you see the office of the Attorney General as being a reactive or proactive position?
It is definitely a reactive position. The region won't benefit by having a litigious AG. However, it's also important to make sure that all government officials follow the law that pertains to them. That's is, after all, one of the duties of the AG - to advise and guide government officials in the execution of their duties as they pertain to the regional law that has been set forth.

RKO:
Hi Drasnia I have a question. Do you have any experience that has to do with law enforcement or the judicial system and if so please go into detail about it.
IRL, my father is an attorney, so I grew up with a much better knowledge of (US) law than most people would. But that's a totally cop-out answer. It isn't an actual qualification.

I haven't had much experience with the judicial system in NS. About the extent of my interaction has been 1) being a defendant in one case in Capitalist Paradise (which I discussed in my response to Zyvet) and also being the spokesperson for an anonymous witness in that case, and 2) having excused two separate Court Justices while Delegate of Capitalist Paradise because of activity reasons (one CTE'd, the other had a history of not logging on for 20-40+ days, which led to them being absent for a case).

I will say that my best quality is my adaptability and I have a solid understanding of regional law (having helped redraft CP's Constitution, and being the leader of a Constitutional Conventional several years later which really taught me how the language used in laws changes how they apply).

Also if elected, what are you going to do first as Attorney General. Thanks.
Interview and appoint deputies, obviously :P

After that, I'll review the current structure of the AG's office and decide if I need to make changes to that structure.

And thank you for your questions :)

Clean Land:
The following complaints are made(with credible evidence supporting them):

1."The Speaker violated their Standing Procedures!"
2."The Speaker refused to give me citizenship! I passed both checks! This is outrageous!"
3."The Speaker is biased! I presented my wonderful bill and demanded the speaker to bring it to vote ASAP, but they declined!"
4."The Vice Delegate refused to admit me as Citizen because I didn't endorse the delegate! The Regional Assembly upheld that decision on the same reason! That is a violation of my rights!"
5."My army application was rejected because I was deemed not trustworthy!"
6."The Delegate is planning a coup!"
7.The Minister of Defense complains:"The Delegate and 20 members of the Army have just performed a DDOS attack against a forum of an enemy we declared war on without my prior knowledge! That is illegal!"

Please elaborate your reactions and possible indictments, in detail.
1. That would be a pretty opened-and-closed type of case, if I chose to pursue it in court. I try to mediate first in minor squabbles like that as it usually leaves both parties happier than if it were to be litigated in court. If it's plain that s/he was doing it maliciously, I would consider pursuing it in court, however, and seek to get them removed from office in order to prevent it from happening again.

2. If you completed your oath and filled out the application correctly, the Speaker cannot legally fail you on their check. Wait 14 days after which you'll automatically be granted citizenship, during which I'll seek to remedy the solution by contacting the speaker and asking why they denied it and if they can accept it before those 14 days are over.

3. It wasn't motioned and seconded. The Speaker doesn't have to schedule a vote until that happens.

4. See answer 2. It's the same process I'd go through, though the particulars are slightly different.

5. That's between you and the NPA. They don't have to admit anyone, if they don't want to. Your only course of action, if you want to still be in the NPA, would be to contact the head and see if you can do anything to gain their trust.

6. That's a serious charge. I would do my best to collect the evidence and, if it turns out they are, present the evidence and get them recalled. During this whole process, I would make sure the Security Councillors are aware of the potential threat so they can monitor everything and take charge in case a coup does ensue.

7. That's not going to happen. But if it ever did, that violates so many regional and real world laws. I would contact site administration about it who will then deal with everything. The Foreign Minister will need to also be aware as it violates COPS so they can make sure that our allies as well as other regions are aware of the offenders and they can take steps to remove them/ensure they don't come to them.

So, a proposal is brought before the Regional Assembly. The Bill is super popular, and thus, gets a ton of support. There comes and motion and a second, but the Speaker, who is avidly against the proposal, refuses to schedule it. In what way are they breaking the law?

What charges would you bring before the Court to convict them, and what kind of sentence would you recommend if they were found guilty?

Seeing as there is roughly one month left in the term till the next scheduled General Election, if elected do you intend to stand for election then?

Some would say that since you're the only candidate in this election that anyone has ever heard of, you will win by default, thereby rendering TNP's AG without a clear mandate. How would you respond?

Bootsie:
So, a proposal is brought before the Regional Assembly. The Bill is super popular, and thus, gets a ton of support. There comes and motion and a second, but the Speaker, who is avidly against the proposal, refuses to schedule it. In what way are they breaking the law?

What charges would you bring before the Court to convict them, and what kind of sentence would you recommend if they were found guilty?
The Standing Procedures outline that once a motion to vote has been made and seconded, the Speaker must schedule a vote. Their refusal constitutes Gross Misconduct, which is covered in the Penal Code:
"8. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and the suspension of voting rights for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit."
I would go to the Court with the evidence and laws relevant to the case requesting immediate expulsion from the Speaker's Office. Depending on how serious this misconduct was, I may or may not also recommend temporary suspension of voting rights.

Drasnia:
The Standing Procedures outline that once a motion to vote has been made and seconded, the Speaker must schedule a vote. Their refusal constitutes Gross Misconduct, which is covered in the Penal Code:
Could you go into more detail about this? In what way is this refusal Grosse Misconduct?

Artemis:
Seeing as there is roughly one month left in the term till the next scheduled General Election, if elected do you intend to stand for election then?
I can't make that kind of promise. I would have to evaluate two important factors: do I believe I can maintain the activity necessary for the position, and do I believe I am performing adequately. If either question is no, I would not. If both are yes, then I would, in all likelihood run again. Having a revolving door of officials, while not great, is still preferable to having officials that are inactive and/or incompetent.

Mall:
Some would say that since you're the only candidate in this election that anyone has ever heard of, you will win by default, thereby rendering TNP's AG without a clear mandate. How would you respond?
Goy is a Deputy in the AG's office, so your logic is faulty ;) (<3 u Goy)

Drasnia:
Mall:
Some would say that attempting to dodge the question merely demonstrates a high degree of arrogance from a candidate who knows they will win since the only position less important than the AG is the Deputy AG position in TNP. How would you respond?

Mall:
Drasnia:
Mall:
Some would say that attempting to dodge the question merely demonstrates a high degree of arrogance from a candidate who knows they will win since the only position less important than the AG is the Deputy AG position in TNP. How would you respond?
I would say you're probably correct that the only position less important than the AG is possibly the Deputy AG.

Drasnia:
Mall:
Drasnia:
Mall:
I would say you're probably correct that the only position less important than the AG is possibly the Deputy AG.
Some would say that the office of AG should be filled by someone who has respect and enthusiasm for the job, such as the former candidate Clean Land. How would you respond?

Mall:
Drasnia:
Mall:
Drasnia:
Mall:
Some would say that the office of AG should be filled by someone who has respect and enthusiasm for the job, such as the former candidate Clean Land. How would you respond?
I'd respond that now we're just splitting hairs, getting into the weeds, or any other folksy saying that means something similar.

Drasnia:
The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond?
Quite simply: I would compile the relevant evidence and the laws I believed were broken and petition the court.
Am I correct in this in thinking you mean for a request for review or do you include criminal prosecution?

Drasnia:
Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate, a Minister, or an Election Commissioner?
No. No government official should ever be above the law. That is how tyranny starts. I do have faith in government officials, however, that they wouldn't willfully disregard and break laws lightly.
Might there not be particular considerations to bear in mind before taking action against a Delegate that has deliberately taken an apparently illegal action, as compared to against an Election Commissioner who has done so, considering the Delegate's powerful in-game position and the risks involved?

Might there not be alternative avenues that could be pursued in relation to a Minister, given that they have an official overseeing them in the form of the Delegate?

Hello I will ask you the same question as I had with other candidates.

Can you cope under pressure?
Are you able to give the right legal advice to TNP Government?

The position that you are applying for is important, why would I vote for you?

Thank you for your time

Banana:
Hello I will ask you the same question as I had with other candidates.

Can you cope under pressure?
Are you able to give the right legal advice to TNP Government?

The position that you are applying for is important, why would I vote for you?

Thank you for your time
Yes, I can cope while under pressure. I learned pretty quickly how to deal with pressure and uncomfortable situations while delegate of a large, founderless UCR. There was always a threat (albeit small) of invasion, as well as a lot of international animosity because of one of our region member's actions abroad. I wouldn't have been able to manage had I lost my cool then.

Yes I can, as I've outlined in this thread while responding to hypotheticals posed by others.

You should vote for me because I have a proven track record in other regional governments of success. I take my duties seriously and always perform to my utmost ability.

Thank you for your questions.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Drasnia:
Am I correct in this in thinking you mean for a request for review or do you include criminal prosecution?
A request for review would most likely be sufficient, and that would be all I would seek initially. If the situation were to change for the worse or if new facts came to light, criminal prosecution would not be off the table.

Drasnia:
Might there not be particular considerations to bear in mind before taking action against a Delegate that has deliberately taken an apparently illegal action, as compared to against an Election Commissioner who has done so, considering the Delegate's powerful in-game position and the risks involved?
Absolutely. The great risk with a rogue delegate could (depending on their illegal actions) require an immediate response from the Security Councillors in order to ensure a safe environment while evidence is gathered to present to the court for consideration. An election carries little risk other than electing the incorrect candidate, which can be easily solved with an injunction while the Court sorts the situation out.

Might there not be alternative avenues that could be pursued in relation to a Minister, given that they have an official overseeing them in the form of the Delegate?
I'm very much for alternate solutions. While Courts are definitive, they also create "winners" and "losers". Other avenues, such as mediation, often end with both parties happier than if it had been settled in court. If I believe it to be in the region's and region members' best interests, I would very much opt for a more peaceful solution than litigation.

Darcania:
Drasnia:
Could you go into more detail about this? In what way is this refusal Grosse Misconduct?
Sorry for not replying until now. I got sidetracked by Mall :lol:

In order to answer your question, we need to establish what Gross Misconduct is. It is defined in Chapter 1 of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

Section 1.8. Gross Misconduct
23. "Gross Misconduct" is defined as the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.

The Oath which the Speaker takes upon taking office is as follows:

I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.

Simply put, if the Speaker breaks anything set forth in the Rules of the Regional Assembly or elsewhere, then they have broken their oath. And in the Rules of the Regional Assembly, we find the following (relevant parts underlined):

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote, including the citizen that introduced the proposal to the Regional Assembly, motion that a vote should be held on a proposal before the Regional Assembly, then the Speaker must schedule a vote on that proposal to begin as soon as permitted by law.

The Speaker has broken this rule, and subsequently their oath, which constitutes Gross Misconduct.

Drasnia:
The original scenario presented by Bootsie indicates a motion and a second for a vote, not motions for immediate votes from one-third of quorum.

Also, that's bolding, not underlining. :P

Drasnia:
Zyvetskistaahn:
Drasnia:
A request for review would most likely be sufficient, and that would be all I would seek initially. If the situation were to change for the worse or if new facts came to light, criminal prosecution would not be off the table.
In the event of a criminal prosecution, might any difficulties arise as a consequence of your having became involved in giving advice prior to the action? Particularly, might difficulties may arise in relation to conflicts of interest in such a circumstance?

Would it be open to you to use advice given to an official to support a criminal prosecution (for instance to prove that a violation of the law was doing knowing it was a violation)? Might the possibility of using such advice to support a prosecution have a negative effect, if it is permissible?

Back