TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Category: Repeal
Target: SC #44
Proposed by: Ever-Wandering Souls
Onsite Topic

Security Council Resolution #44 “Commend Texas” shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The Security Council,

CONSIDERING that merely having existed for a long period of time is not particularly unique among regions, and that many other regions have existed for as long or longer without commendation;

REASONING that many other regions are home to multiple nations which have authored resolutions;

FURTHER REASONING that many of these nations referred to in SC#44 are not native to Texas, but rather puppet regimes of nations residing in distant lands;

CONCERNED that the diplomacy practiced by Texas is not always mature, and that the region's leadership is quick to meet nations unlike them with hostility and unproductive rhetoric;

POINTING OUT that Texas' defender army has been minimally functional for many years, and that many other regions have hosted far more effective forces for peace;

RECOGNIZING that, though elections are held, only one nation has served as the President of Texas in recorded history;

OBSERVING that many of the accomplishments listed in SC #44 are more appropriately individually commended in SC #131 as the work of NewTexas, including the creation and maintenance of NSSuite, over a decade of WA vote participation, over a decade of service as President of Texas, and a history of commitment and communicating in the region;

CONTEMPLATING that the region, though perhaps above average, is not particularly remarkable, and that many points raised in the original resolution are misleading or the work of an individual nation which has been separately commended for its deeds;

HEREBY repeals Security Council Resolution #44.

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[wavote=the_north_pacific,sc]2017_09_13_repeal_commend_texas[/wavote]
[wavote=world,sc]2017_09_13_repeal_commend_texas[/wavote]

This resolution is clear when explaining the deficiency of what, at the time, was considered to commend Texas as a region. Such provisions are covered in a more reasonable and explicit manner in another resolution, "Commend NewTexas", the nation of NewTexas being the founder of the region of Texas. The fact that contributions from this region have taken place with little or no participation by many of its members, except NewTexas, makes it necessary to focus the merits individually, and this has already been achieved through "Commend NewTexas". Therefore, the individual commendation should stand and the regional commendation should be repealed.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote for this resolution.

Maybe someone else might find a reason to remove this commendation, but I doubt it will be due to commentary from a raider region seeking to punish an enemy and earn a badge in the process. I look forward to what others have to say, but in the meantime, I say...

Against.
After reading the conversation in WALL Discord between Fawkes and R3n, I share the same opinion that Commend NewTexas is the more appropriate resolution to stand, and Commend Texas is unneeded.

For.

I think that most of the commendation is based as a commendation of NewTexas and not the region itself.

I'd like to to vote for (WA is not in region)

I'll vote For for the same reason. The only commendable stuff included in the commendation are stuff that are in commend NewTexas.

I do think NewTexas deserves his commendation. But I don't see why we need to also commend his region for the same things.

I don't have any compelling reasons to give an opinion one way or another, so I'm personally abstaining and advise the Delegate to vote as he sees fit.

Against.

Although both resolutions (Commend Texas & Commend NewTexas) are based on, practically, the same reasons, I recognize that they were approved by a considerable margin. In my opinion, proceeding with this repeal would leave a kind of contradiction in Commend NewTexas, since its third paragraph stands as follows:

"Briefly noting this council has already seen fit to recognize the region of Texas, which achieved the great feats noted by this council as a direct result of the work undertaken by it's founder NewTexas, who essentially forged a community which has lasted almost ten years with Texas sitting at its helm;"

I think it is valid to repeal a resolution, if it is very similar to another; however, I also believe that the correct thing is to repeal the most recent commendation (the individual one, in this case). Unless I find a reasonable explanation, this seems a mere individual desire to stand out as the author of a SC resolution.

Edit: I'm going to support this one.

After a conversation with the proposal's author (very productive, by the way), I agree that the merits that support SCR#44 are merely individual and belong to NewTexas as a nation. Even my doubts about the "puppets residing in Texas at the time of the commendation" have been answered. Thus, I vote for.

I have a feeling that more historical commendation repeals are going to come flooding in once this one passes with the massive mandate it has.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back