-
TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Leaves of Absence Removal Bill:
Section 6.2 of the Legal Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 6.2: Loss of Citizenship
11. The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of citizens.
12. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist.
13. The Speaker's office will promptly remove any citizens who fail to post in The North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days.

Annotated: Clause 14 is blown up.

Current Law:
Section 6.2: Loss of Citizenship
11. The Speaker will maintain a publicly viewable roster of citizens.
12. The Speaker will promptly remove any citizens whose removal is ordered by the Court, or whose nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist.
13. The Speaker's office will promptly remove any citizens who fail to post in The North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days.
14. Citizens that have submitted a notice of absence, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of the above clause for the stated duration of their absence.
old idea:
I was a bit disappointed to see wicheye lose citizenship despite putting in an accepted leave of absence. Since leaves of absence are currently used to set aside the thirty-day forum posting requirement when someone is unable to post, I question why a CTE still causes loss of citizenship when that has a slightly shorter timeline (28 versus 30 days). I think it would be reasonable to assume that if someone is unable to post on the forum, they'd also be unable to visit NationStates. Sure, there is a vacation mode on NS, but it's easy to miss that. No one should be punished for a simple oversight. Plus, vacation mode only lasts for 60 days.

I'm not sure how to codify it, but I think Clause 14's leave of absence provision should not only apply to clause 13, but clause 12 as well. Can anyone codify it and make it simple?

Hmm... seems like LoAs aren't all that popular... Should we get rid of them? Let me know what you think.

14. Citizens that have submitted a notice of absence, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of clauses 12 and 13 for the stated duration of their absence.
Is this what you mean?

12. The Speaker will promptly remove a citizen for any of the following reasons:
  • their removal is ordered by the Court;
  • their nation in The North Pacific leaves or ceases to exist;
  • they have failed to post in The North Pacific forum for over 30 consecutive days.
13. Citizens that have submitted a notice of absence, in accordance with any regulations set by the Speaker, shall be exempt from the provisions of sub-clauses b and c for the stated duration of their absence.
Fixed it.

I think we should get rid of them, to be honest. If someone cannot make one post in a thirty day period, or log in once in a 60 day period for a nation on vacation mode, then what does that say?

We no longer have the system where missing 4 votes removed your RA membership, and with that system there was a real risk of you losing your membership if you happened to have a bad few weeks. With the reforms since that point that made citizenship and RA membership one and the same, with one post per month and their nation being alive being the sole requirements to maintaining citizenship, I cannot see why LoAs still exist.

[quoteHis Majesty, Lord Ravenclawtime=1505162590)]I think we should get rid of them, to be honest. If someone cannot make one post in a thirty day period, or log in once in a 60 day period for a nation on vacation mode, then what does that say?

We no longer have the system where missing 4 votes removed your RA membership, and with that system there was a real risk of you losing your membership if you happened to have a bad few weeks. With the reforms since that point that made citizenship and RA membership one and the same, with one post per month and their nation being alive being the sole requirements to maintaining citizenship, I cannot see why LoAs still exist.[/quote] :agree: Out of the many regions and forums i've been on I can't say that I've ever really seen a system where your citizenship can be given a stay as long as you give a LoA. You're either active or not.

Joshua:
I think we should get rid of them, to be honest. If someone cannot make one post in a thirty day period, or log in once in a 60 day period for a nation on vacation mode, then what does that say?
Agreed. It's not particularly like reapplying for Citizenship is an arduous task anyway (well, for the applicant at least).

Gracius Maximus:
Eluvatar:
Broken quote tags :(
Yes, for those of us with even mild OCD tendencies such things are quite distracting.
I agree, tbh. I'll speak to the admins about resolving this while trying to keep SS's idea intact.

Updated OP. Seems as though LoAs might not be necessary given the 30-day time limit rather than the 4 missed votes limit. Should we just trash it given the commentary above? Let us know...

Also, could the Speaker please adjust the title of the thread to say "Leaves of Absence Removal Bill" if possible?

Sil Dorsett:
Updated OP. Seems as though LoAs might not be necessary given the 30-day time limit rather than the 4 missed votes limit. Should we just trash it given the commentary above? Let us know...

Also, could the Speaker please adjust the title of the thread to say "Leaves of Absence Removal Bill" if possible?
Changed.

As for the bill itself, I am all for removing Leave of Absences because they were mainly in place for the four missed votes but since that is no longer necessary, I don't see why we can't get rid of it.

Seeing as discussion has been dead for a month and a half and there seems to be a clear consensus of getting rid of LoAs, I motion for a vote.

Currently, this only affects nations who use vacation mode, and they can leave for up to 60 days maximum before they cease to exist and are removed anyways. This is an indirect cap to the leave of absence. I do not see a good reason to remove this.

I won't be around when formal debate ends tomorrow, so I'm gonna go ahead and schedule the vote on this to begin on 2017-11-17. That vote will naturally only take place is formal debate concludes without the proposal being withdrawn or otherwise invalidated.

Objections to the scheduling of the vote will not be entertained before the end of formal debate.

Back