abc

Duck
TNP Nation
ABC
Discord
abc#8265
Civil Servants Day Bill:
1. In Section 10.2 of the Legal Code the following clause shall be added:
The sixth of March shall be established as Civil Servants Day, to recognize the hard work and contributions of the countless number of Executive Staff both past and present.
Civil Servants Day Bill:
1. At the end of Section 10.2 of the Legal Code the following clause shall be added:
The 29th of May shall be established as Civil Servants Day, to recognize the hard work and contributions of the countless number of Executive Staff both past and present.
Many Executive Staff have served the region in its ministries, both past and present, but little has been done to recognize their contributions and hard work for the region; they are in fact what keeps the regional government afloat. I chose the 6th of March as the time of year seems to be free of other holidays and the 6th specifically because there are 6 ministries. I tried to be creative.

Oh god, please no! Manumission day is the 26th. Please pick some other time of year. :P

Also, to match existing formatting, the numbers should be spelled out (e.g. "twenty-ninth").

Edit: Also it would not be added at the end - holidays are listed in chronological order.

I like it.

Although I agree with SS about the order, the formatting and the date.

I think this is a great idea. Every Executive Staff member deserves praise, not just the folks at the top.

Wow, a vote seems extremely premature.

I am not convinced that we need a holiday for the executive staff at all. Recognition is great, but there are other ways to recognize contributions than holidays.

Besides, how would it even be celebrated?

I agree with SillyString, this vote is way too premature.

I object to the scheduling of the vote.

I am against this.

Why do we need a day to celebrate this? And how would we celebrate it even if we wanted to?

It does not appear to be as significant as our other days. What next - cabinet day? Justices day?

The massive amount of Executive Staff deserve some way to appreciate them. They could have a day off from work, as well as enjoying events of their own making.

We have a lot to thank our Executive Staff for, actually. It is worth a holiday, in my opinion.

abc:
The massive amount of Executive Staff deserve some way to appreciate them. They could have a day off from work, as well as enjoying events of their own making.

They can take a day off when they want to :P And for anyone involved in culture, they would likely need to create the events, manage them and run them, so actually more work for the staff.

Kasch:
We have a lot to thank our Executive Staff for, actually. It is worth a holiday, in my opinion.
Certainly not saying they are not worthy of appreciation, and I hope that the individual Ministers do thank and acknowledge the hard work of their staff. But why is this deserving of a public holiday? I don't think a case has been made for why this is needed (and why staff are not being appreciated currently) or how this would be celebrated.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Don't most executive departments already have awards and such for varying levels of service?
No, not really - HA does and the NPA, but otherwise I don't know of any.

Communications definitely has a huge list of awards that I saw one time.

EDIT: and all of them have sig graphics for just being in them. And I'm pretty sure FA had badges for being ambassador to specific regions at one point, but that may have been discontinued.

If we proceed with this, we should decide whether we want to make the Executive Staff a legal entity.

Currently the Executive Staff is a structure that is not mandated by law. Instead, it exists entirely at the discretion of the sitting delegate.

r3naissanc3r:
If we proceed with this, we should decide whether we want to make the Executive Staff a legal entity.

Currently the Executive Staff is a structure that is not mandated by law. Instead, it exists entirely at the discretion of the sitting delegate.
I believe it should be as after all, they are the ones who make the ministries work.

I disagree. The Delegate should retain the right to adjust the size of the executive and its offices as they see fit. It's not easy to do that if there are mandatory civil service offices.

New Rogernomics:
On the verge of repeating myself from another thread...

You could just create awards like you do with lots of other things down in TNP, in order to recognize people or groups.

Haven't been here long, but that's my two cents.
Though my citizenship here is less than 3 weeks old, I admit i'm not sold on this. Yes there are those who put a tremendous amount of work into their respected ministries and have devoted many hours. Where else you have some that only join so that they can show off some badge while doing nothing to very little.

I'm afraid that this may cause those who I mentioned earlier be over looked or buried by those who have done very little to help so they can get recognition they really haven't earned.

I do like Roger's post above of adding badges as this will honor and celebrate those whose have made significant contributions to the region and potentially encourage those who would otherwise sign up and do little. Badges/awards would allow people to take the initiative to make contributions.

Now before some of my words are taken out of context I fully understand there are many who want to help the region but many positions are backlogged and become a first come first serve basis. Which can be unfortunate for those who want to help but are unable to and eventually go inactive or leave.

Zeek:
New Rogernomics:

You could just create awards like you do with lots of other things down in TNP, in order to recognize people or groups.

Where else you have some that only join so that they can show off some badge while doing nothing to very little.
[/quote]A lot of people join (sign up for citizenship, usually) and do nothing anyway. A badge is worth nothing if you got it for doing nothing.

I think something similar to the WA awards would be the way to go, as it recognizes the members of the Executive Staff, without requiring the effort needed to celebrate the whole holiday.

Against the bill.

Mystery Player:
Zeek:
New Rogernomics:

Where else you have some that only join so that they can show off some badge while doing nothing to very little.
A lot of people join (sign up for citizenship, usually) and do nothing anyway. A badge is worth nothing if you got it for doing nothing.

I think something similar to the WA awards would be the way to go, as it recognizes the members of the Executive Staff, without requiring the effort needed to celebrate the whole holiday.

Against the bill.[/quote]This is far more true nowadays than it was not too long ago.

You still can't forget the contributions of the countless other staff.

abc:
We're not forgetting about them simply making a point that there are people who simply join organizations, and do very little to nothing but still get to claim a merit badge and parade around with it.

I'm not completely against this, but it does broadly celebrate everyone no matter their merits. At least during this day their should be a list of those who have contributed significantly over the previous year,(including those who helped) make it so that the day counts towards those who have at least aided the region in their own capacity. This list that I am talking about would be compiled by the various ministers and deputy ministers over the year so that those who are contributing are judges on their merit over the course of the year, and not because a thread was posted asked people to nominate and suddenly those who were inactive suddenly become active in hopping to be recognized.

Zeek:
abc:
We're not forgetting about them simply making a point that there are people who simply join organizations, and do very little to nothing but still get to claim a merit badge and parade around with it.

I'm not completely against this, but it does broadly celebrate everyone no matter their merits. At least during this day their should be a list of those who have contributed significantly over the previous year,(including those who helped) make it so that the day counts towards those who have at least aided the region in their own capacity. This list that I am talking about would be compiled by the various ministers and deputy ministers over the year so that those who are contributing are judges on their merit over the course of the year, and not because a thread was posted asked people to nominate and suddenly those who were inactive suddenly become active in hopping to be recognized.
This is a very good idea, this could be part of the holiday

the region is doing a great job of raising the quality of the celebration days we already have ... but do we really need yet another one? Is there not a danger of doing a lot of things badly rather than a few things well?

I think my opposition to a holiday for the executive staff boils down to this:

The executive staff was created to harness the desire of the general citizenry to do more, and to be more involved in the region. Activity is the lifeblood of the region; being unable to keep people involved and invested in the region leads to massively lower retention rates, stagnation, and, sometimes, government failure. And while the existence of the executive staff has done a fantastic job at that... nevertheless, the definition of what its members do is activity. It's no more or less valid a kind of activity than other forms of participating (RP, legislating, what have you), and it's also, in my opinion, no more or less worthy of recognition.

Members of the executive staff, or of a department, who go above and beyond in their role, can and should receive special recognition from their respective ministers (or from the delegate), but a regional holiday seems somehow... trite.

My concern is closely related to SillyString's. Rather than something of significance to all nations in the region, this would appear to be the citizenry (a relatively small part of the region as a whole) recognizing itself for doing things that it likes to do.

Have to agree with COE and SillyString - if you want to recognise those that go above and beyond, you can do so internally within your ministries. With the NPA, there are promotions and titles. FA could reorganise their diplomatic corp to be somewhat hierarchal (if not so already, it's been a while) so the more senior you become, the more important the ally/region you're allocated is.

(Also, as COE said, I'm 100% positive I did like a bazillion sig ribbons for the FA back when I was MoFA - if these were discontinued that's fine, but I can do a massive update if required)

Sorry for having been late to the discussion here but I'm going to agree with most of what has already been said. I greatly appreciate the work of many members of the Executive Staff; however, I do not feel like they, including myself, need a holiday. The individual ministers can recognize their staff in any way they see fit. Coupled with the potential for limiting the Delegate's ability to govern by codifying the Staff. While I appreciate the effort made to recognize the work of the Executive Staff I don't personally think that it warrants a region-wide holiday.

HuAt:
Sorry for having been late to the discussion here but I'm going to agree with most of what has already been said. I greatly appreciate the work of many members of the Executive Staff; however, I do not feel like they, including myself, need a holiday. The individual ministers can recognize their staff in any way they see fit. Coupled with the potential for limiting the Delegate's ability to govern by codifying the Staff. While I appreciate the effort made to recognize the work of the Executive Staff I don't personally think that it warrants a region-wide holiday.
:agree:

In fact, we the citizens apply to join the Executive Staff if we wish to. The level of contribution and help that one can give depends on our free time, our intention, among other factors. This is why each ministry can (and should) give individual / collective credit to their respective collaborators, as the respective minister considers.

On the other hand, legislating on the Executive Staff would be somewhat restrictive for the functions and considerations of the Delegate. However, the designation of certain permanent offices (based on their importance) may be considered, leaving the creation or appointment of other non-permanent / special offices to the Delegate's discretion. This is merely an example.

Many ways to proceed, none of them is necessarily correct. What is important is that the Executive Staff continue to contribute to the region and adapt to its changes and needs.

Everyone here has made very good points. I believe some sort of awards system should be instituted to recognize individual contributions. A holiday may be a bit too much.

I withdraw this bill from the floor.

Back