Citizenship Application Amendment Bill

Owenstacey

TNPer
TNP Nation
HuksGares
As mentioned in my Campaign thread I want to amend citizenship application to include discord usernames, so I propose the following:

Section 6.1 of the Legal Code is amended to read:

Section 6.1: Citizenship Applications
2. Any resident may apply for citizenship using their regional forum account, by providing the name of their nation in The North Pacific, and swearing an oath as follows:
I, the leader of The North Pacific nation of [INSERT YOUR TNP NATION], pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.
Discord Username (if applicable):
3. A copy of the laws applicants are pledging to obey must be available to them at all times.
4. An application for citizenship ceases to be valid if at any time the applicant's declared nation in The North Pacific is not located in The North Pacific.
5. Forum administration will have 14 days to evaluate the citizenship applicant and verify that they are not using a proxy or evading a judicially-imposed penalty. The Vice Delegate will have 3 days to perform a security evaluation and pass or fail the applicant. The Vice Delegate must consult the Security Council if there is reasonable concern as to whether an applicant should be admitted.
6. The Speaker will reject applicants who fail an evaluation by either forum administration or the Vice Delegate.
7. If an applicant is rejected for failing an evaluation by the Vice Delegate, the Regional Assembly shall immediately debate the rejection and will hold a majority vote on whether to uphold it. The vote must begin two days after the rejection occurs.
8. The Regional Assembly may overturn a previous decision to uphold the rejection of an applicant by majority vote.
9. The Speaker will accept all other applicants with valid applications.
10. The Speaker will process applications within 14 days. If an applicant has not been approved or rejected within that time, they will be automatically granted citizenship.
I feel that this will help because it means that as we add new citizens we can handle their discord masking at the same time, allowing them to get involved on discord quicker and then it allows us to remove masking easier if they are to lose citizenship.

I am open to suggestions to change the wording of the discord piece to make it fit into the application a bit more fluently.

With this, I will not be scheduling the bill for vote or overseeing the vote, instead will leave it to my deputies.

If I may, it seems to me that this idea could, essentially, be put into effect by the Speaker's Office without need for legislation, in that the form of an application seems essentially to be for the Speaker to determine (provided that only the swearing of the oath with the inclusion of the applicant's nation was the only portion which was mandatory).

I would also like to ask what the intention of the "if applicable" is: is it to mean that someone has, essentially, the choice whether to provide a discord name or not; that they must provide it if they use discord; that they must provide it if they use TNP's server/s; or something else? How does this interact with the position of discord as an unlegislated for medium (albeit one the governmental organs of the region make use of)?

I super duper uper oppose including a discord username in the oath for citizenship. What happens if someone changes their username? If they leave it blank, but join discord after applying? If they put in a name, but it's not theirs? If they put in a name, but later delete their account? If Discord goes kaput and we all go back to IRC? Way too many fail points for something entirely extraneous.

The speaker's office can ask for any additional information it wants, and citizens can decline to give that information on the basis of Nunya Bizness.

But asking within the legally mandated oath? Hell to the no.

SillyString:
I super duper uper oppose including a discord username in the oath for citizenship. What happens if someone changes their username? If they leave it blank, but join discord after applying? If they put in a name, but it's not theirs? If they put in a name, but later delete their account? If Discord goes kaput and we all go back to IRC? Way too many fail points for something entirely extraneous.

The speaker's office can ask for any additional information it wants, and citizens can decline to give that information on the basis of Nunya Bizness.

But asking within the legally mandated oath? Hell to the no.
:agree:

What happens if someone changes their username?
They won't be able to change their Discord ID number, so changing the username wouldn't matter. A lot of people change their usernames all of the time. And also, it says 'if applicable', which means that the oath of citizenship is still valid if no Discord ID is given.
If they leave it blank, but join discord after applying?
Once again: 'if applicable'. They can give the Speaker their Discord ID number after they post their oath of citizenship.
If they put in a name, but it's not theirs?
It is pretty easy to check if someone has lied about their Discord ID number, because all it takes is a simple PM asking if that user posted an oath of citizenship. If someone decided to do that, wouldn't it be impersonation and is that even allowed? If it was an accident, then they can provide their actual ID number after. And besides, what reason would anyone have to lie about something like a Discord username?
If Discord goes kaput and we all go back to IRC?
Well then it wouldn't be applicable and the oath of citizenship would be reversed back to its original form through another easily passable bill. That shouldn't be a huge concern, really. Discord is very reliable. I can't see it going 'kaput' very soon.
Way too many fail points for something entirely extraneous.
I wouldn't go that far. Discord is not unrelated at all. Masking people who have obtained citizenship through the forums and now need it on Discord can be very difficult if people have to ask for masking or the Speaker has to find that user not fully knowing if it is really them, which makes it even more complicated, especially if that person has not included their Discord ID number in the Discord Username field, or even if they know that that field exists. It would make recording Discord citizens much easier for the Speaker.

If I can make a suggestion for Owenstacey, it would be to change Discord Username to Discord ID number. You could include instructions for people to find their ID number (which really isn't that hard, it says it right under your Discord name).

Kasch, I think you're misunderstanding Discord. By ID number, are you referring to the four numbers after the hash (i.e. Zephyrkul#1795)? Because if so, that's not the ID number, that's a discriminator, to differentiate people with the same username, and it absolutely can change (I was originally Zephyrkul#4459).

Edit: Also, your last paragraph seems to imply that people would only need to provide those four numbers. This would be a very bad idea, since discrims are both mutable and not unique.

Darcania:
Kasch, I think you're misunderstanding Discord. By ID number, are you referring to the four numbers after the hash (i.e. Zephyrkul#1795)? Because if so, that's not the ID number, that's a discriminator, to differentiate people with the same username, and it absolutely can change (I was originally Zephyrkul#4459).

Edit: Also, your last paragraph seems to imply that people would only need to provide those four numbers. This would be a very bad idea, since discrims are both mutable and not unique.
Ah, well I apologize for that.

geez Darc why you always gotta clarify things :P

For what it's worth, there is an ID number that you can get that is unique and never changes (for example, mine is 215640856839979008), but that's a lot more difficult to obtain than just looking at your profile. Off the top of my head I can think of three ways:
  1. Write a message mentioning yourself, but put a backslash right before the asperand @. The result will show your ID (e.g. <@215640856839979008>).
  2. Get a bot to give you your ID. It'd be very easy to give Melysande a quick command to output your user ID.
  3. Enable Developer Mode in User Settings > Appearance, then right click your own profile picture and Copy ID.
So it is technically an option to ask for the Discord ID... but it's a bad idea, since you'd have to give people an instruction booklet that a lot of people would end up failing to follow (I can't even remember how many Citizen applicants I've rejected for a non-Residential IP even though it says to do so in the Citizen thread). Not to mention the other arguments above.

Back