The Southern Journal Issue XXI

Spenty

TNPer
c1EdkRN.png

Winter 2017 Local Council Elections

Written by Spenty.

The 2017 Local Council elections were a series of polls on the gameside portion of The South Pacific. The Elections were hotly contested by six candidates, namely Feirmont, Pederal na Republika ng Pilipinas, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Cormactopia Prime, Curlyhoward, and Zadiner. This was the first election to implement the three poll format where three candidates are elected from separate polls. The reason for this change had been that the nation which took first place in the previous Local Council elections usually won with a large majority, while the second and third seats were only won by less than ten percent of the vote.

Nominations for the elections started at 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on the fifteenth of February and ended at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on the eighteenth of February, while the candidates began campaigning at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on the eighteenth of February and the campaign period ended at at 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on the twenty-fifth of February.

The first poll started on the twenty-fifth of February with Feirmont winning the first seat with forty-four (44) votes or fifty-one percent (51%) of the total vote. The second poll then started on the twenty-eighth of February with Pencil Sharpeners 2 receiving a similar majority to that Feirmont had received with fifty-five percent (55%) of the ballots.

However, the same cannot be said for Pederal na Republika ng Pilipinas, who faced a tough race not against a candidate, but against a motion to re-open nominations, which had come about owing to a late nomination for Bear Connors Paradiso that that nation did not have time to accept. BCP spent much of the campaign and polling periods calling for other nations to vote for RON (re-open nominations) and that ‘a vote for RON is a vote for BCP’.

In the end, many of the remaining candidates threw their support on the leading candidate and, in the end, Pederal na Republika ng Pilipinas won over that motion by just five votes. The candidate got the lowest plurality of all the Local Councilors with forty-four percent (44%) and he was the only candidate not to get a majority. The candidate said that he was thankful for the tough victory and he would like to work more with the Regional Message Board as the candidate rarely posts on the forums.[/align]

1414137701285_Image_galleryImage_EDITORIAL_USE_ONLY_From_l.JPG

The new Local Council members hold tight onto their share of the votes.

The three councillors have been in office since March. The next Local Council Elections will take place in two months time.

Assembly Hard at Work

Written by Omega.

Those of you keeping up with the Assembly lately have seen just how much we have been getting done in there during February and March. We have had two discussions, at least one piece of potentially ground-breaking legislation, an attempt at a change in election laws, and we are working on increasing transparency within our government.[/align]

2013MinnesotaSenateOpener640.jpg

Legislators working through the latest wave of legislation in the Assembly

Recently, Escade began a discussion on intelligence in the South Pacfic and how there appears to be some inconsistencies. She noted that the South Pacific Special Forces and Council on Regional Security are both able to conduct intelligence operations. Currently, there appears to be general consensus that there needs to be some coordination between the SPSF and CRS and that the SPSF should be limited to only conducting intelligence related to R/D gameplay. There has also been a proposal to establish an Intelligence Coordinator to work between the CRS and SPSF.

Omega began a discussion on reforming the Chair of the Assembly election process and treating it like normal Assembly business. The proposal was not well received and it appears as though that discussion has died out.

Glen-Rhodes recently attempted to repeal a section of the Elections Act, specifically the part pertaining to Local Council elections. He said the LC should be able to determine their own process for running elections and we shouldn’t tell them what to do. A legal battle has ensued over whether or not the Assembly has the power to repeal sections of laws that directly affect the structure of the LC. We are still awaiting a response from the High Court, after which the proposed repeal may be brought to a vote.

Following a discussion begun by Omega, the CoA has decided that he will release all voting threads into the public record as soon as the votes are finished. There was some talk of just making the voting chamber public however, notable members of the GP community said that may lead to outsiders influencing legislators on how to vote.

And then there is the Commonwealth Act, proposed by Minister of Regional Affairs Seraph. The proposal would allow the Cabinet to establish Colonial Regions to serve a specific gameside purpose, like how Knowhere is a place for gameside RMB RP. Colonial Regions could be used to try out new pieces of legislation or to help develop new players. The act, as currently written, would allow for some self-governance so long as regions remain under TSP and respond to our government. Currently there is consensus that this will require some amendments to the Charter.

And the developments have continued on through the month of April with many more new pieces of legislation coming to the fore to deal with numerous emergent issues within the legislature. In summary, the Assembly is hard at work, trying to make this region a better place for all. And right now it appears a bit busier than normal. We will see if this steam carries through the rest of this current term.

The First Half of the New Half
Interviews with Escade and Vietnam

Written by Roavin.

April 23, 2017 - We are at the halfway point of the current cabinet term, always a good time to take a look at and interview a subset of cabinet ministers, specifically those who are the freshest faces. They are the ones that have to prove themselves, the ones that are subjected to the latent pressures in the cabinet for the first time, and are therefore the ones we usually want to know about! I sat down with both our fresh Minister of Foreign Affairs, Escade as well as our fresh Minister of Military Affairs, United States of Vietnam (short: Vietnam) to find out as much as I could.[/align]

oJvfZtQ.jpg

The grand facade of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building with a new extension clearly visible.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs looks nothing like it had under the previous three ministers that I have witnessed. A new direct shuttle service to 117 Lampshade Street is set up right in front of the ministry, with a few people entering and leaving the buses every time one arrives at the stop. Inside the building, many people, both South Pacificans and foreign, continuously buzz around various previously unused rooms. The entire building smells of fresh paint - and looks like it too, with white walls, brightly colored ceilings, and many posters advertising volleyball, karaoke, and various other communal games decorating the walls in an almost feng shui like fashion. Escade’s office has changed in like fashion. Gone is the big gloomy wooden desk with the big leather chair of old; instead, a big table with several laptops and white ergonomic chairs for the MoFA-Team. Escade isn’t placing herself above the team, but rather as just one part of it.

I managed to drag her away from reviewing festival plans to chat with me in one of the few remaining empty rooms. Finally, the first of two fresh faces in the cabinet I get to interview - except that Escade isn’t actually that fresh! She had served as Minister of Regional Affairs and as Delegate in the Cabinet under the previous charter, when the Cabinet was 7 people instead of four and was on a hiatus during the transition. So, maybe not completely fresh, but fresh enough to justify this article’s headline.

Roavin: So - you're back in the cabinet! Last time you were in the cabinet was under the old system, when the Delegate, Chair of Assembly, and now-defunct Vice Delegate were also part of the cabinet. How different is it with the newer, sleeker system?
Escade: It's a lot quieter in the cabinet! Also, a lot more goes on Discord now so it's different for that reason as well. I love the Discord part of the government now!

After a brief distraction where we chatted about the benefits of the old versus the new system, we got back on track. I demonstratively took a printing of her campaign with several highlighted phrases from my briefcase and paused briefly to observe. She did not seem at all phased by that - a positive sign, I believe, as I surely would have been horrified had the same happened to me during my ill-fated term as Minister of Regional Affairs. Satisfied, I picked out one of the highlighted sections and started questioning.

Roavin: Your campaign promised a much more culturally oriented Foreign Affairs office, and that seems to be what we're getting.
Escade: Yes, my campaign promised more culturally-oriented FA and I think it's because FA is sometimes all over the map and often members of the regions have no idea or say in what is going on.
Roavin: Probably the most prominent happening from your first two months has been your massive role in organizing the CULT festival with the Rejected Realms, Lazarus, and ourselves. That festival is somewhat remarkable in that you as the Minster of Foreign Affairs took a very significant lead in the organizational efforts, much more so than in previous interregional festivals that were organized primarily by the Ministry of Regional Affairs. Do you see that as a trend going forward?
Escade: It was a combination of things. First inter-ministerial cooperation has sometimes been lacking in our government and I really appreciate Seraph being open to working together so closely. I was inspired by the way he organized and ran the MoRA Discord server to adapt some of his organizational skills to Foreign Affairs. Then, having started out in Regional Affairs - I've always felt that the Ministry of Regional Affairs has way too many things to do to and needs to be streamlined. I still think we could have a separate Minister of Communications who handles more of the journalism, for example. With events between regions, the Foreign Affairs ministry helping out makes sense because we should already be in contact with the people outside of the region, as part of our goal is to help build relations with allies and friends.

As she finished the last sentence, I heard through the open window that yet another shuttle bus was arriving. I jokingly remarked that fate had picked my next question, and went on to a big note I made in the margins:

Roavin: How do you respond to the criticism that you're turning the Foreign Affairs office into basically Regional Affairs 2.0?
Escade: That's an interesting criticism because I might ask, "As opposed to?" I've seen Foreign Affairs be a dormant office where not much is done or just one thing (treaties) or where people kept quitting because it was drudge work or downright boring. So, in this case, we are exceptionally active, try to keep forum side and game side aware of what we're doing and we're building relations and getting to know new people. Then, this instance of the Foreign Affairs ministry has the largest staff of TSPers on board that I have ever seen for this ministry, and TSPers are allowed to pursue foreign affairs related projects such as the fellowship or other things. In that as part of my campaign, I've always thought any ministry or office should work with the goal of building the region's interests and those of the TSPers themselves.
Roavin: Some have said that positions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs take away from the more important Ministry of Regional Affairs. How would you address that claim?
Escade: When I was in regional affairs, it was always hard to recruit people to do things consistently. I'm not sure how I'm taking people away from regional affairs necessarily since players choose what they want to do. Regional affairs include Roleplay, gameside events, forumside events, communication, news, festivals, media, and art. Breaking up some of these would probably help RA have a clearer focus and maybe some non-cabinet minister positions would attract more activity.

There was commotion at the door, as I saw several people peek in, seemingly annoyed that I was taking Escade’s time (who seemed absolutely unfazed by it).

Roavin: Let’s move on to the nitty gritty Foreign Affairs stuff as people usually think of it. Your campaign mentioned outreach to the more unknown user-created regions - how has that been going?
Escade: So far Forest, which has just been commended by the Security Council, is the first one, and I have spent time on their Discord to get to know them. We will be opening an embassy with them soon, I think. I've also been trying to introduce them to Spiritus because of some similar culture and maybe make a three-way thing.
Roavin: Nice. Any others in your sights?
Escade: Some UCRs that were suggested like the Renegade Islands Alliance seemed a bit controversial when looking at them. As for organizations like the Order of the Grey Wardens - I've talked to them about relations but haven't pursued things further for similar reasons. I think in that case the South Pacific Special Forces working with them helps establish firmer grounds for future opportunities. Other things are in progress - more can be done in this area and I'm hoping to do more.
Roavin: Finally, do you expect to be able to present any sort of treaty negotiations or repeals in your term?
Escade: We repealed the Balder Treaty. As for presenting treaties, I'm not sure, to be honest. There have been very preliminary talks but anything substantive would require cabinet and Assembly support. Also, personally I hate treaties that seem to not have any weight so I'd rather we build relations with treaty allies so there is a reason for us to be together than to stack up empty paper.

After some brief concluding chatter, she left me alone and was greeted outside by several people showing ideas for logos. I left the building and made my way to UNDISCLOSED LOCATION and headed inside a lonely beach hut, where a hidden elevator took me into the heart of a military base that is all too familiar to me - the headquarters of the South Pacific Special Forces.

dfZqv0S.jpg

The nondescript entrance to the headquarters of the SPSF.

Contrary to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, not that much has changed with the new Minister, since there already was a massive overhaul done last year by Imki. Vietnam did take down many dividing walls and merged many rooms for simplicity, and signs advertising training permeate the base. And indeed, the bootcamp has seen more activity! Generally, it can be said that Vietnam has worked towards incremental and successive refinements, and done so well.

As I started looking for Vietnam, I heard the sirens go off, reminding me that I forgot the time - it’s update! I quickly changed into my battle outfit and moved with some fellow South Pacifican soldiers to Camp Libcord, where we were greeted by friendly Wardens and Rejects on the field, and I found Vietnam himself already in the Officer’s Tent drawing up tactical battle plans. In between deployments to stop some roaming tag raiders, I figured I’d use the brief free moments to start the interview.

Roavin: So, this is your first time in the Cabinet. How is it? How different is it from what you expected?
Vietnam: Well, I think it is pretty fun. To be honest, it isn't very different from what I expected! The only difference is that I expected things to be more active in the Cabinet.
Roavin: Is there anything you would change about the Cabinet?
Vietnam: As of currently, I don't really care about changing the Cabinet or other parts of
the government, I'm just focusing on the SPSF for now.

“At here GO GO GO” was the cry heard across Camp Libcord, and Vietnam and I quickly dispatched to the next target location, this time clashing with a group of soldiers with an odd bird on their flag. Soon after, we got together with some other people to raze a Nazi castle, and quickly went back to several other locations to head off those bird soldiers again. As we were finishing up and heading back to the South Pacific Special Forces Headquarters, I got the chance to talk again.

Roavin: In your campaign, you stated that you wanted to continue your predecessor’s policy of focusing on defense activities and anti-fascist missions. SPSF does appear to continue this trend, though it has also on rare occasion engaged in some traditional tag raids. What was the rationale for that, and has there been any problems with this with other militaries that the SPSF frequently works with?
Vietnam: The reason for why the SPSF is continuing the defender+antifa policy is because it is the safest policy that the SPSF can adopt now, occupation raids on normal regions are limited under this policy due to certain concerns over the TSP's public image and foreign affair issues. Also, fash-bashing and defending are fun! As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any problems with others militaries that the SPSF works with.

We stepped into Vietnam’s office, which looked much like I had left it last term except cleaner. We sat down for some post-battle coffee, and I got to ask my last questions.

Roavin: In your campaign, you mentioned investing more effort into training. How has that been going?
Vietnam: That has been going pretty normal. Training happens on schedule recently, without delays for new members and as far as I'm aware, there haven't been any complaints about stuff getting over their head too much. And there is a work-in-progress series of articles about military gameplay, though it will take some more time to finish.
Roavin: Do you think SPSF is equipped to, in the worst case, adequately defend the South Pacific?
Vietnam: The SPSF can help to defend the South Pacific but it can't do that alone as of currently, but fortunately, we have a good amount of militaries that are allied with us so this should not be a problem. The SPSF alone certainly can act as an advisor on the R/D-related security of the South Pacific.

We then got stuck in a geeky conversation about triggering techniques and influence calculations for battle operations - indeed, from a tactical standpoint, Vietnam surely knows his stuff. Unfortunately, that conversation took up the rest of the time I had for the interview, and a few hours later, I had to go on my way.

“But wait”, I imagine the reader saying, “didn’t you forget the most important question?”

Of course, I didn’t - “Cake or Pie?” Escade’s preference is cake, cake, and more cake; meanwhile, Vietnam prefers to abstain. I don’t think it would be proper for me to sacrifice journalistic integrity to utter what my personal preference is, though I will say that both are WRONG, of course.

Note: The interviews have been carefully edited for presentation. These edits include fixing spelling and grammar mistakes, reformatting phrases, changing the order of topics, and cutting/moving filler text for greater clarity. The raw, unedited transcripts are available upon request.

And finally, a new column from our Director of Journalism, Spenty!

Coffee and NS:
A Monthly Column

So welcome to my new column! I will be discussing issues happening in the region. This will be my first column so please, grab a cup of coffee and don’t scrutinize my work too much![

coffee2.png

In the past couple of months there have been many controversies happening in the gameside. Well, there has been conflict over whether or not to restrict spam to Knowhere which is a protectorate and is a region used for spam ,roleplay and other unofficial business in The South Pacific. In my opinion we need to keep the protectorate open because the RMB is already full of spam and I believe that people can’t keep up with thousands of posts per day. In a poll that I conducted last month, many prefered to segregate spam and game-related posts. However, many also do not believe that banning or suppressing posts would be the solution to the spam that plagued our community’s Regional Message Board earlier in the year.

Moving on, there has also been a controversy surrounding Belschaft’s appointment as the Local Council’s representative to the assembly. Although he was appointed for his experience on both the gameside and the forums, the Local Council did not take into account a current issue surrounding Belschaft in the Private Halls of the Assembly. A local councillor has since apologized for the lack of foresight and the LC as a whole have appointed Feirmont, also a local councillor, as the representative.

In my opinion we should scrap the idea of an Assembly representative. As a Local Councillor myself, I believe that by scrapping the position we would be able to focus our campaigns as Local Councillors on gameside issues.

So there we have it! Thank you for reading my first column and I will see you in the next issue.

Back