sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Category: Health
Area of Effect: Reserach
Proposed by: Xerox Prime
Onsite Topic

The World Assembly:

Wishing to expand on the benefits provided by the establishment of a centralized database of texts and literary works into the field of medicine;

Hereby:

Defines "Medicinal Knowledge" as all knowledge pertaining to the treatment, prevention, and diagnosis of diseases, and pertaining to medical standards and policies, throughout all nations, states, and ethnic groups.

Clarifies that "Medicinal Knowledge" does not refer to patient records, histories, and information, information pertaining to specific employees and patients of hospitals and treatment facilities throughout the WA, information pertaining to specific medical cases and records, technological research, and the research of biological weapons.

Establishes a World Assembly Central Medicinal Database (WACMD), with the purpose of:

Accepting medical knowledge from those who contribute it,

Archiving historical and present medicinal discoveries and knowledge in a centralized digital database, accessible by all,

Providing access of such information to the nations of the WA, and ensuring the preservation of aforementioned medical knowledge,

Establishing an online database for all collected and archived medical knowledge,

Providing access to archived knowledge for educational purposes;

Mandates that the nations of the WA contribute existing medical knowledge to the WACMD database;

Mandates for the fulfillment of these purposes, for the WACMD to undertake the:

Archiving and iteration upon contributed medical knowledge,

Integrating new received knowledge into international standards of medical care and treatment,

Providing relevant collected knowledge to the pharmaceutical industry, in whatever form it may take,

Ensuring the cooperation of the pharmaceutical industry in the careful study and analysis of new treatments and procedures,

Dedicating effort, time, and manpower to particular areas of medicinal research, with sufficient funding, at request of donators,

Establishment of the World Assembly Medicinal Oversight Committee (WAMOC) for the maintenance of the WACMD, and archiving of the information contained within;

Mandates that WACMD establish aforementioned program and division to oversee:

Ongoing funding of medical research and study,

The creation and implementation of new standards of medical procedure, protocol, and operating guidelines, where applicable;

Mandates that all WA Nations pass laws to promote healthcare, medicinal and pharmaceutical research, and preservation of medical knowledge;

Clarifies that all WA member nations possess access and clearance to all documents and information contained within the WACMD database;

Affirms the right for private and corporate entities to participate in their own research and production of medicinal and pharmaceutical goods and information, albeit under WA and WACMD regulation, if applicable and approved by the WA.

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

I will note that this proposal is now in queue. Also, I will also note that the primary purpose of this proposal, creating a centralised database for various medical texts, was already achieved years ago by the Universal Library Coalition, founded in this resolution by Mousebumples.

I struggle to see what this proposal does beyond what is already currently being done. While I personally wouldn't submit a legality query or challenge, due to my own dislike of what is increasingly a delaying and procedural tactic, I think it is worth considering by and large.

To your point, IA, we should assume that the WACMD would be utilizing that very library. This resolution would not create a new database but a new way of accessing and organizing a segment of the existing library. Since it deals with public health, I think the governments of the world have a legitimate interest in treating accumulated medical knowledge specially.

Nevertheless, I suggest the delegate vote against. The definition of "medical knowledge" is amoral, so things like "cures for liberalism" and "how to prevent kids from coming down with a case of democratic sympathies" may find their way onto a special database meant to be a bastion of good and healthy living.

Not to mention, the grammar of this resolution :headbang:

I suggest we let the recent past be our guide...
"Repeal "Pesticide Regulations"" was discarded by the WA for rule violations after garnering 12,557 votes in favor and 5,684 votes against.
...and should work to ensure a similar fate for "World Assembly Central Medicinal Database Compact"

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back