[Private] Official Court Discord Logs, 11/17/16-11/25/16

Discord
COE#7110
[7:30 PM] COE: Here's the latest draft of my rejection of flem's r4r:
This request is denied, because it does not follow the established template.
Adopted Court Rules:
1. All indictments, requests for review, briefs, Court decisions, and other official filings must be presented using an established template, if one exists.
Please resubmit your request for review using the established template, being sure to include the portion that establishes your standing in this matter.

Be advised that you have the prerogative to appeal this rejection to the full court.
[7:30 PM] Eluvatar: Looks Good To Me
[7:31 PM] COE: The being sure to include the portion that establishes your standing in this matter. should suffice to make sure that base is covered
[7:31 PM] Eluvatar: Excepting that I'm not certain prerogative is the right word.
[7:32 PM] COE: OK
[7:32 PM] COE: option?
[7:32 PM] Eluvatar: right?
[7:32 PM] Eluvatar: either works
[7:32 PM] Eluvatar: or opportunity
[7:32 PM] Asta: Is it necessary to include?
[7:33 PM] Eluvatar: I think COE's trying to make sure an appeal is more likely than an R4R
[7:33 PM] COE:
This request is denied, because it does not follow the established template.
Adopted Court Rules:
1. All indictments, requests for review, briefs, Court decisions, and other official filings must be presented using an established template, if one exists.
Please resubmit your request for review using the established template, being sure to include the portion that establishes your standing in this matter.

Be advised that you have the ~prerogative~ __option__ to appeal this rejection to the full court.
[7:33 PM] COE: Blast, formatting within a box doesn't work so well
[7:33 PM] COE: And Elu is on the nose
[7:34 PM] COE: I think that if he's just hoping for a reversal, he'll probably appeal, but that if he sees legal problems with requiring a template, or with requiring this specific template, he would file a request
[7:34 PM] Eluvatar: That would make sense
[7:34 PM] COE: But if I take that line out, request might be the only option that occurs to him
[7:35 PM] Asta: Okay. I'm fine with that.
[7:36 PM] COE: ok, will post directly, and then I think we're done for now
[7:36 PM] COE: Oh, and unless anyone objects, I'll probably draft a new template sometime soon
[7:36 PM] Eluvatar: no objection
[7:36 PM] Asta: I OBJECT
[7:36 PM] Asta: :hammer:
[7:36 PM] COE: OVERRULED :hammer: :hammer:
[7:37 PM] Asta: hey, why do you get two hammers?
[7:37 PM] COE: Emojis are not going to translate well to the forum
[7:37 PM] Eluvatar: I overrule the objections here :japanese_ogre:
?1
[7:37 PM] Asta: files a request for review on why COE gets more hammers than she does
[7:37 PM] Asta: subtly alleges gender discrimination
[7:37 PM] Asta: yeah we should probably strike all this silliness from any logs :stuck_out_tongue:
[7:37 PM] COE: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
[7:38 PM] COE: IT'S HAMMER TIME
?1
?1
November 19, 2016
[9:49 AM] COE: @Eluvatar How do you propose we go about appointing a hearing officer to replace SillyString for the AG's request for review?
[9:50 AM] COE: (For the record, this one: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9022084/)
the home of The North Pacific region of the online game Nationstates
[9:51 AM] COE: Thread in the public gallery perhaps?
[9:52 AM] COE: Or privately approach someone we select?
[9:53 AM] COE: I think I would be in favor of creating a public thread and taking the first volunteer
[9:54 AM] COE: (and probably in the top-level court area, rather than the public gallery, I think
[9:56 AM] Asta: maybe not the first volunteer.... you don't know who that will be. :stuck_out_tongue:
[9:58 AM] COE: You are recused from this matter :stuck_out_tongue:
[10:00 AM] Asta: I'm simply pointing out that you don't know who might apply!
[10:00 AM] Asta: It could be New Kenya! :stuck_out_tongue:
[10:00 AM] COE: Anyone with a conflict of interest would naturally be treated as unavailable
[10:01 AM] Asta: Well, then, it could be someone else unsuitable. Like... Durk.
[10:01 AM] Asta: AND YES I AM OPINING ON THE RECORD THAT DURK IS UNSUITED FOR SERVING AS JUSTICE.
[10:01 AM] COE: Fine - the first suitable applicant
[10:02 AM] COE: Anyone who meets the bare minimum standard to sit on the bench
[12:07 PM] Eluvatar: I approached people privately for TNP v tSRoNK
[12:07 PM] Eluvatar: The reason I did so was to reach out to people I thought might be suitable who might not volunteer
[12:07 PM] Eluvatar: (ofc I was also trying to do it as quickly as possible)
[12:33 PM] COE: I mean, when they're joining you and me on the bench, I see this really more as a learning opportunity for them than as an opportunity for us to bring more experience and competence onto the bench
[12:33 PM] COE: So that's why I'd be willing to accept just about anyone
[12:34 PM] Eluvatar: Go ahead
[12:34 PM] COE: k
[12:34 PM] Eluvatar: I'll let you manage the search
[12:34 PM] Eluvatar: but we do have to agree on the individual
[12:34 PM] COE: Naturally
[12:40 PM] COE:
Please post below to volunteer to become a temporary hearing officer. The duties are identical to those of a justice, but are (usually) limited to a single matter before the court. They act as temporary replacement justices when there is a vacancy on the court, or when a justice is unavailable or has recused themself. In your post, please describe your level of familiarity with TNP law, as well as why you desire to become a temporary hearing officer.

In the immediate future, a THO will be appointed to replace SillyString in the matter of Handling of evidence in the case of TNP vs. TSRONK. However, those who volunteer in this thread will also be considered for future appointments.
[12:40 PM] COE: Look good?
?1
[12:42 PM] COE: I and whoever we appoint will both need access to the special chambers
[12:47 PM] Eluvatar: and I, yes?
[12:47 PM] COE: Well yes, but I assume you don't need any masking changes(edited)
[12:47 PM] Eluvatar: true
November 24, 2016
[4:31 PM] Eluvatar: I am inclined to comment on why the Court did not rule on Flemingovia's original motion during the trial
[4:31 PM] Eluvatar: Would there be any problem with my doing in Ash's R4R topic?
[4:34 PM] COE: I don't see why not
[4:34 PM] COE: You could even file a brief
[4:34 PM] Eluvatar: You don't see why it wouldn't be a problem? :stuck_out_tongue:
[4:34 PM] Eluvatar: (I get what you mean)
[4:36 PM] COE: Yeah :stuck_out_tongue:
[4:50 PM] Eluvatar: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=10020126&t=9022084
[6:28 PM] Eluvatar: added Abbey and COE to THO joinable group
[6:32 PM] Eluvatar: @Asta I understand you are being asked to recuse yourself in the RO banning nations R4R
[7:04 PM] Asta: >_>
[8:42 PM] COE: @Eluvatar http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=10020138&t=7019276
[8:43 PM] COE: Please add barbarossistan to the THO group
[9:36 PM] Asta: @Eluvatar I'm about to post that I'm recusing myself from that r4r. You may wish to extend the brief submission period until a THO is found
[10:40 PM] Eluvatar: @COE done
[10:40 PM] Eluvatar: @Asta I see
November 25, 2016
[12:34 AM] Eluvatar: I'd like to select Altmoras to be the THO for that one. @COE ?
[6:57 AM] COE: Sounds good to me
[9:24 AM] Eluvatar: @Asta has anyone asked Plemby to make a brief?
[9:25 AM] Asta: yes, I reached out to him again
[9:26 AM] Asta: It shouldn't make a GIANT difference either way, though - the court can rule on what would-and-would-not be legal without directly addressing whether what happened itself was legal or illegal - if it lacks all the facts

Back