Resignation

Kondratev

TNPer
I resign from all positions in TNP. It has to do primarily with the last three paragraphs of this letter, and the subsequent treatment of Syrixia and others.

I think the delegate's treatment of Syrixia was disgusting for two reasons. For one, Syrixia was treated like a bitter enemy rather than a friend, partner or valued team member. There was never a serious attempt at dialog or explanation, only threats and mocking him behind his back.

People who wield internal power in such a way are worse than the most aggressive enemy trolls, because they control some level of access to other players' friendships and their very identity in the game. This is doubly true for longstanding RPers.

People are willing to submit when they feel they will lose their place in the community and the good relationships they've made. As one cabinet member described it, there's no choice but to "sit there and take their assholery."

I only endured it for this long because after Ash and Praetor were called “cowards” for leaving, I sought to stay and fight for the release of information and some redress for people who were wronged. I stayed even after being effectively run out of Discord by a small group of people who would spam vitriol in my direction for up to 45 minutes at a time.

Within the region, there's an implied camaraderie involved when participating in the same community. Syrixia's handling of the situation shows he honored this sense of community, while Plembobria did not. Disagreements are a fact of life, and they make a political game more interesting. Games like NS are fun because they provide a forum for people to put their ideas on the table and debate about the best way to run the group. People who have confidence in the strength of their ideas should work to persuade others, not intimidate others through bullying and threats.

Between NS and Cyber Nations, I played for the better part of 2005-2012. The majority of that time has been in government or the big chair. What I've seen here in modern TNP is contrary to all my principles, not in NS politics, but in OOC conduct. I've only ever been a member of one other group with such deep internal divisions and lack of trust. It was the beginning of a death spiral.

My enjoyment in this game has always stemmed from fostering a sense of friendship and common purpose by expanding participation in the community. I still regularly play games and talk with people whom I recruited through ingame spam in 2008. TNP used to have a reputation of aligning with my values, but recent events have shown me that its culture doesn't match its political structures. I fear TNP today is not a place where I can invest my time in my favorite activities.

My values have always been consistent. NationStates is a game. Games should be enjoyable and challenging. They shouldn't be mean-spirited and they shouldn't make people angry or sad. If it stops being fun, stop doing it.

NS government is not the sort of position where you can wield real power over others. If people believe they are living in a hostile environment, or being mistreated, they will ultimately leave with the single click of a button.

That's what I'm doing today.

You still haven't explained what the great issue is. Almost two weeks later, and beyond those allegations of mistreatment, the only thing that you've actually brought forward is the enforcement of cabinet solidarity.

I've also played NS for a very long time. I don't think I've ever seen such a persistent campaign of making personal accusations without an iota of evidence to back it. Especially when it follows by having a sook -- sorry, but that's what it is -- whenever you were asked for any such evidence.

I think you just don't have a grasp on the situation. Or at least, I'd prefer to believe that.

Guy, you are one of the people who contributed to me leaving Discord, so congratulations. I see you're still hounding me in my resignation post. About 2/3 of the screenshots I have were finally posted either as links or plain text in Darc's FOIA thread, which is mostly what I wanted. I linked directly to Syrixia's apology, which for me was the most upsetting, but the FOIA response and my public info thread include the gloating and other behavior I also found extremely distasteful. For the past week I had been talking to admins, trying to find the best way to approach this issue. The reason I hadn't dumped everything in public is explicitly because I was asked not to by Syrixia and others involved. I will still be submitting the FOIA'd documents and the other stuff I have to the chat and forum admins.

This is exactly the issue. I've been doing nothing but asking you for evidence since I became aware of your allegations. Let's recap: You're continuously making very serious allegations, I'm asking for evidence.

Somehow, in your mind, you've become a victim of harassment. Yes, unlike perhaps most people, I'm not having my conversations about this in private. I don't have close personal relationships with any of the parties involved. I have no special interest in this nor particular affinity towards the Plembobrian executive.

Instead, after you made your allegations public, I also pursued this matter publicly. I asked, and asked, and asked for something to support your serious allegations. You continued making them.

Maybe you're right and Plemby mistreated Syrixia. Here's the point: If I just accept that, without anything to support it, that would open the door to anyone making allegations against anyone else. That's not the type of region I want to be a part of.

Guy, I posted this compilation of public government statements explicitly for your benefit and the benefit of other forum-goers who asked what was said in Discord. These logs primarily cover the government's own explanation of events, and when I posted it you likewise accused me of slander. You also seem to be unwilling to read through this post, which as I have just said includes a lot of the material I found objectionable. I'm also not sure if you read my original post in this very thread, where I explained exactly why I found these things unacceptable.

If you would like me to provide evidence of your 45 minute tirade against me, I can also screenshot and post that if you so demand it.

Goodbye kondratev. You worked incredibly hard for the region in the speake's office and I regret that you follow ash and praetor in finding that TNP is not the supportive place many imagine it to be.

Kondratev:
Guy, I posted this compilation of public government statements explicitly for your benefit and the benefit of other forum-goers who asked what was said in Discord. These logs primarily cover the government's own explanation of events, and when I posted it you likewise accused me of slander. You also seem to be unwilling to read through this post, which as I have just said includes a lot of the material I found objectionable. I'm also not sure if you read my original post in this very thread, where I explained exactly why I found these things unacceptable.

If you would like me to provide evidence of your 45 minute tirade against me, I can also screenshot and post that if you so demand it.
I read through both of these posts [EDIT: as well as the OP here]. There was nothing there that even made me blink twice, and simply insisting there's something there won't get you anywhere. If there was any actual wrongdoing, I would think you would be able to point to it.

A point you have made many times, guy. However, i do not think that kondratev's resignation thread is an appropriate place to continue the interrogation. It would be more gentlemanly to receive the resignation with good grace.

I'm sorry that you have decided to leave, Kondratev.

But for god's sake. Please don't post even more private stuff without asking me first. I thought this was dead and buried. We all want it to be.

I will say this, though. It's a point Plembobria made to me. If I had disagreements about his policies, I could have very easily brought it up in the Executive Council's private channel rather than not at all, and we would discuss on it, and perhaps the policies would be changed. The whole thing was blown out of control and we'd all like to see the matter done and over with.

It's a shame that you are leaving. I have great respect for the fact that you managed to cause such a public discussion pretty much all by yourself. While some people prefer to block their ears and sing 'lalalala' as loud as possible just to not have to face the facts, I'm sure some people have listened to you. TNP needs more people like you.

Syrixia:
I'm sorry that you have decided to leave, Kondratev.

But for god's sake. Please don't post even more private stuff without asking me first. I thought this was dead and buried. We all want it to be.

I will say this, though. It's a point Plembobria made to me. If I had disagreements about his policies, I could have very easily brought it up in the Executive Council's private channel rather than not at all, and we would discuss on it, and perhaps the policies would be changed. The whole thing was blown out of control and we'd all like to see the matter done and over with.
Since the apology letter was already posted by Plembobria, I felt it was not inappropriate to mention it here. I'm sorry if you feel it's uncomfortable to have it reposted.

I know you didn't want anyone to leave over this, but it's not only about you. It's not about Plemby's cabinet voting policy. I disagreed with it but I certainly never would have left because of it.

It's about peoples' behavior and the values that behavior suggests. Both from the people who bullied and the people who didn't like it but kept their discontent to PM and refused to say anything openly.

Thanks to those who've wished me well, and to the many good people in TNP.

TNP is one of the best and most supportive regions in the whole game. There are always going to be tough times and controversial situations in life and in game, and that is something that we have to expect and deal with. The key is to never give up, though, and to keep fighting for your vision -- that's how success is made.

I am sad to see you go, Kondratev, and I wish you the best of luck in all that you do. I hope you will decide to come back one day.

Tomb:
TNP is one of the best and most supportive regions in the whole game. There are always going to be tough times and controversial situations in life and in game, and that is something that we have to expect and deal with. The key is to never give up, though, and to keep fighting for your vision -- that's how success is made.

I am sad to see you go, Kondratev, and I wish you the best of luck in all that you do. I hope you will decide to come back one day.
The whole point is that this is a game. And it has ceased to be fun for me and a whole host of other people. We decide with the click of a button whether it is worth it to spend our valuable time here. For me, TNP has ceased to be the supportive region it once was. I hope the last person out the door will turn the lights off when they leave.

Back