Suggestion: Multiple Voting Booths

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
I would like to ask the admin team to consider creating multiple voting booth accounts. They could easily be titled Voting Booth 1, Voting Booth 2, etc.. though one could also get creative, and go with Voting Booth, Polling Place, Cast Yo Ballot Here, and so on and so forth in that manner.

Most of the time we wouldn't need to make use of them, but I think the current election and special election mess is demonstrating some problematic side effects. Specifically, I'm concerned that there are citizens who feel that they cannot run in an election for which they are not an appointed election commissioner, because they are serving as an election commissioner in another election and would have access to private ballots for their own election.

There is nothing in the law that prevents them from running anyway, but a number of people have expressed concern over that possibility. As a result, we currently have the silly situation of an EC for the judicial election encouraging people to vote RON for the AG election in order that he might be eligible to run if nominations are reopened... while at the same time, the single candidate in the judicial election is encouraging people to vote in favor of RON in the hopes of drumming up some competition! This is likely to both seriously delay filling an elected official position, and could result in fewer candidates than actually want to run.

This is clearly Very Bad No Good, and I think introducing two (or potentially three, in the event of the supremely unexpected) alternate voting booth accounts would address the problem. They would go unused unless more than one election were to be held concurrently. In that case, each election would be assigned a Voting Booth account to use for private ballots, and the ECs would have access to only that one.

Thoughts?

I think it's crazy that extra-legal concerns such as access to the voting booth account are dissuading prospective candidates from declaring their candidacy. Multiple voting booths is a good solution, and could be implemented by the ECs themselves without the necessity for admin involvement.

That's a good point! ECs for the special elections could create their OWN voting booths.

With blackjack.

...And hookers!

In fact, forget the voting booths and the blackjack!

That's rather a good idea. The multiple vb accounts, I mean, not the hookers.

We will talk about it and, if there are no problems, will set it up before next time.

SillyString:
That's a good point! ECs for the special elections could create their OWN voting booths.
With regards to this, if Zyvet and I set up another voting booth, would we be capable of having that account masked (at least as member, so we wouldn't have to spam The Docks to get the three posts) and given moderation powers to the Elections subforum? Afterwards, we can give the account to the admins for the use described above after the elections end, as well.

EDIT: If we can't get moderation powers, that's fine, we can ask the other ECs to pin the eventual voting thread with TVB. But the masking, at least, is something I'd prefer to have to prevent spamming The Docks with the three posts.

Most of the time, you don't know that there's a bug in the program until that bug actually impacts you. Here, it finally did. It's a good common sense solution to make sure there's adequate competition for positions and strengthen our democracy.

Hopefully we never get into the situation like this again. But when there is a quiet period in admin I will get on to creating extra voting booths.

I'm in favour of the extra booths, and we can even have them dedicated to specific elections or purposes. I'm a fan of compartmentalisation.

Back