Kondratev for Speaker

Kondratev

TNPer
I'm Kondratev, leader of Rumata. I joined TNP because I fell in love with the Regional Assembly. The fact that the largest region in the game is centered firmly around the democratic decisions of its regular members is truly something special in this game, and stands in stark contrast to ideologies pushed by other major regions.

Over the course of this term, I have had the pleasure of serving as deputy to Zyvetskistaahn, whom I believe holds the record for longest tenure as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. With his help, I learned what it takes to keep the beating heart of TNP functioning smoothly. Now, it is my honor to accept the nomination of my peers and announce my candidacy for the position of Speaker.

My platform draws extensively upon my experience in the office, and I hope you will find it worthy of your support. Feel free to ask any questions you may have for me.

The Platform

1. Discord masking for residents and citizens will be maintained by the Speaker. Discord names will be included in the citizen rolls for easy reference.

Discord mask management currently doesn't exist at all, and I've discovered it has a lot of potential to be a serious security risk.

In my intermittent checks of Discord membership, I've found a number of people who had left TNP but continued to actively sit in the executive government server. Unsurprisingly, there were even more people who managed to keep a citizen mask on the normal server.

2. Applicants seeking citizenship will make their own thread.

The applications process has recently been the subject of heated debate. I am proud to say I have not supported any bill which adds more requirements for citizenship.

I agree there are concerns with member turnover and admin workload, but I think the answer is in reorganizing the applications process.

This is a good way to ensure eager and active players are applying and will cut down on what some have deemed "one post wonders." There's no arbitrary posting requirement beyond being able to articulate something basic about yourself and paste the oath correctly.

Most regions in NS use a similar method of application processing, as do countless other online communities. It breaks the ice, it's efficient for admins, and it fosters thoughtful contributions rather than forcing inflated post counts. Here is a rough template to give you an idea of the format I envision:

Link to your TNP nation:
How long have you played NS?:
Other regions in which you participate:
Discord username:
Would you be interested in joining the military, roleplay, or executive staff?:

About you:

Take the oath:
I, the leader of The North Pacific nation of [TNP NATION], pledge loyalty to The North Pacific, obedience to her laws, and responsible action as a member of her society. I pledge to only register one nation to vote in The North Pacific. I pledge that no nation under my control will wage war against the North Pacific. I understand that if I break this oath I may permanently lose my voting privileges. In this manner, I petition the Speaker for citizenship in The North Pacific.

I would begin this with a two week trial program and continue from there after consultation with the admins and vice delegate.

3. Start a weekly RA meeting in Discord where people can raise concerns and discuss ideas before submitting a proposal.

The goal here would be to foster consensus on what needs fixing, and provide a platform for cooperation at the earliest stages of the reform process.

All too often, someone posts a rough draft proposal on the forum and they run into strong opposition from people who may share the author's concerns but have interpreted the text differently. Having a civil, equitable discussion about the issues before this happens would go a long way toward improving the efficiency of the RA.

4. Continued use of Zyvet's standing procedures for conducting RA business. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The procedures in place now provide order without roadblocks and are flexibile enough to allow people to participate on their own schedule.

5. Provide an updated view of pending applications on the forum. Right now, this exists only as a separate tab on the spreadsheet containing the citizen rolls. I'm convinced nobody ever looks at that. I sure as hell never did.

I would instead continue to do what I was already doing as Zyvet's deputy. Every time a check is performed, I would add a comprehensive, easily readable update much like this one. If we move to my proposed system of individual application threads, this would become a stickied post in The Docks.

This is so hard! I've watched both you and Pallaith as newcomers, and I've seen both of you become rising TNP stars. My question is, why should should I vote for you, Kondratev, over Pallaith?

Every region in NS needs new ideas and new people. Without those two essentials, the game would rapidly become stale. As the one who oversees both legislative procedure and admissions, the Speaker is in a unique position to facilitate the growth of both new ideas and new people.

I have the passion for bringing people into the fold. I want to make sure everyone receives a swift and personal welcome into our community and we encourage them to get involved.

I have the passion for collaboration. I want to get everyone sitting down together in real time to discuss the important issues before fighting it out over the particular language of a specific bill.

I have the passion for making sure everyone has the access they're entitled to, so everyone can participate when they're able, and not just the few who are around in Discord every day.

I want to make sure the RA is the kind of place where new ideas and new people will always be welcome.

1. Discord masking for residents and citizens will be maintained by the Speaker. Discord names will be included in the citizen rolls for easy reference.

This is a problem I've never heard anybody bring up before, so I'm glad you're talking about it. I had a brief citizenship lapse in August myself, but I retained my citizen masking on discord the entire time which was quite confusing.

Kondratev:
Why haven't we done this before? It seems like the most logical solution to what seemed like an endless problem in the citizenship applications thread.
The only problem I have with this is the Admin/Delegate/VD's ability to make a single post with many approvals/rejections, which was probably the most convenient part of the previous thread. Any thoughts?

Kondratev:
3. Start a weekly RA meeting in Discord where people can raise concerns and discuss ideas before submitting a proposal.
Sounds like a great idea, since we have so many people in the Discord server. One question: would this be via voice chat or a text channel?

Overall, with the work you've done as Deputy Speaker and based on your platform, I think you are a great candidate and you have my vote. Good luck :)

Frozentophat:
Kondratev:
Why haven't we done this before? It seems like the most logical solution to what seemed like an endless problem in the citizenship applications thread.
The only problem I have with this is the Admin/Delegate/VD's ability to make a single post with many approvals/rejections, which was probably the most convenient part of the previous thread. Any thoughts?
Making that single post under the current system takes much more time and effort than making short replies to the individual threads.

Right now the workflow involves paging back to my own last post in the 160 page application thread, opening up Notepad, and then carefully scrolling through each page, copy/pasting the names of new applicants. As I slowly scan through the recent posts I jot down "sva" next to the names to make note of who has already had speaker, vice delegate, and admin checks.

I think it would be much faster for everyone to head to The Docks, open up all the threads with new posts, and quickly scroll through a single page to see if other people have already performed their checks.

Frozentophat:
Kondratev:
Sounds like a great idea, since we have so many people in the Discord server. One question: would this be via voice chat or a text channel?
I'd like to encourage people to use the voice chat. People on the internet generally get along better in voice chat because it's the more personal form of communication. Gaming groups have always used voice chat to conduct group meetings, coordinate events, etc.

Of course, I would never require people to use a mic if they did not want to. Anyone is free to contribute in any way they see fit, and I will certainly be keeping a close eye on chat during the meetings. Even people who are keen on voice chat will probably find it useful to write something out when needed.

As far as records are concerned, I think a forum post summarizing the meeting will also be far more useful than having people scrolling back through old Discord posts. If there's any interest in doing so, I could just as easily record the entirety of the voiced conversation.

A big thank you to those who have voiced their support in this thread. I'm still fielding questions for the duration of the campaign.

I like this idea. I think most one-post-wonders will not be arsed to fill out the sort of resume you suggest since it goes a little beyond cutting and pasting an oath, so it achieves the same end as the recent bills by another route - it weeds out the time wasters.

However, have you thought of the practicalities? we got just under 1000 RA applicants last year. that is an awful lot of threads. Do you assume they will be archived after a while? If so, have you spoken to the admins about taking on another task involved in the processing of each RA applicant?

I dunno, when doing security checks - admin or otherwise - a list helps me so so much. Multiple threads would cause a raise in my stress levels as I'd have to keep track of them.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I dunno, when doing security checks - admin or otherwise - a list helps me so so much. Multiple threads would cause a raise in my stress levels as I'd have to keep track of them.

You will not have to keep track of anything extra. If we move to individual applicaton threads, I will maintain a stickied post in The Docks with an updated list of pending applicants and their status. This should actually reduce the burden on you because you will only have to look at one post to find the complete list.

flemingovia:

I like this idea. I think most one-post-wonders will not be arsed to fill out the sort of resume you suggest since it goes a little beyond cutting and pasting an oath, so it achieves the same end as the recent bills by another route - it weeds out the time wasters.

However, have you thought of the practicalities? we got just under 1000 RA applicants last year. that is an awful lot of threads. Do you assume they will be archived after a while? If so, have you spoken to the admins about taking on another task involved in the processing of each RA applicant?

You've explained to me in Discord that the archival process is partially automated and that automation is planned to extend to the rest of the forum in the future. Seeing as how The Docks currently has posts going back to August 2015, I don't believe we will still have to deal with manual archival by the time we need to archive posts from January 2017.

Mystery Player:
I have noticed that you don't mention anything about the RA Digest. What are your plans for that?
This last term, performance with the RA Digest was less than stellar. Shortly after I came on board, two other deputy speakers ceased to exist. We were having an influx of new people from a second Imgur migration, and the digest just slipped down the list of priorities. It was all the easier to let it slide because the RA had been relatively quiet up until this past month.

I hope to get the digest back on track. I think Quak did an excellent job with the formatting and maintaining neutrality while still being informative. I would hope to emulate his example as well as his punctuality in that area.

From whence do you derive the legal authority to assert a role for the Speaker's office in Discord masking? It's one thing to say that you will volunteer to assist Discord administrators with masking maintenance, as they seem to be allowing, but your platform sounds very much like you're asserting some right to do so while not so subtly criticizing them for lapses in masking. In reality, your campaign promise is contingent on Discord administration permitting a continued role for you in masking. Isn't that right?

Kondratev:
You will not have to keep track of anything extra. If we move to individual applicaton threads, I will maintain a stickied post in The Docks with an updated list of pending applicants and their status. This should actually reduce the burden on you because you will only have to look at one post to find the complete list.
And do you think there will be more work for administrators when the Speaker after you or the Speaker after them doesn't continue to so diligently maintain such a list? A system that is reliant on every future Speaker being as active as you're promising to be is a system destined for problems.

From whence do you derive the legal authority to assert a role for the Speaker's office in Discord masking? It's one thing to say that you will volunteer to assist Discord administrators with masking maintenance, as they seem to be allowing, but your platform sounds very much like you're asserting some right to do so while not so subtly criticizing them for lapses in masking. In reality, your campaign promise is contingent on Discord administration permitting a continued role for you in masking. Isn't that right?
The Speaker and their deputies already have masking rights on the Discord server, per my request at an earlier date. If the voters promote me to Speaker, I merely promise to make it the duty of the office to maintain Discord usernames alongside nation names in the citizen rolls. This would be done with the goal of being able to quickly correct any masking oversights. Any existing problems with Discord masking are because the Speaker's office currently has no system in place for keeping track of who's who on the chat server. It would be unfair to blame the admins.

And do you think there will be more work for administrators when the Speaker after you or the Speaker after them doesn't continue to so diligently maintain such a list? A system that is reliant on every future Speaker being as active as you're promising to be is a system destined for problems.
No. I don't believe my proposals to be reliant on the pending applications list. It only makes things easier and faster for everyone. The idea of the pending applications list is also not new. We already have one inside the citizen rolls spreadsheet. I only plan to move this to the forum. Again, with the goal of making things faster and easier.

In light of what's unfolded this week, I think everyone deserves an explanation as to why I'm speaking out about the current situation.

The cabinet minister who was working with Ash's investigation has asked not to be further involved in this. Those of you who visit Discord already know who it is. I know he's very upset by all this, and out of respect for his wishes, I have attempted not to reveal his identity.

Like many of you, the first I learned about any of this was when Ash posted those screenshots in chat. I wasn't terribly excited or surprised about Ash's potential indictment or the reasons behind it. I thought the log dump itself was an extremely foolish thing to do. I could not understand why a previously level-headed guy would do a thing like that, abandoning his post and his investigation in the process.

When I spoke to Ash myself, I began to understand how he felt. I must admit that when he told me how the minister in question was treated and some of the things that were said, I did get a little bit angry. The victim looked up to the people who were attacking him. He is only a kid who wants to have fun in our community, but the adults he trusted used him to get at a political opponent and then made him grovel before them. I just couldn't turn a blind eye to it all.

I know how excited this minister was to be appointed to their position, having been involved in the department for such a long time. Ash's screenshots had an emotional impact on me because you could tell the victim was just afraid of having his position taken away, or having a friend be hurt.

NationStates is a game. Games should be enjoyable and challenging. They shouldn't be mean-spirited and they shouldn't make people angry or sad. If it stops being fun, stop doing it.

Some people have gotten to the point of taking the game too seriously. I think at the end of the day, this community has limits of acceptable behavior, and people need to be held to account when they have gone well beyond the limit. TNP government is not actually the sort of position where you can wield power over others. If people believe they are living in a hostile environment, or being mistreated, they will ultimately leave with the single click of a button.

We have already had two of our finest members leave due to the behavior of others. I don't want anyone else to feel unwelcome in the region they call home. I want to make sure that the game remains fun for everyone in TNP.

Kondratev:
We have already had two of our finest members leave due to the behavior of others. I don't want anyone else to feel unwelcome in the region they call home. I want to make sure that the game remains fun for everyone in TNP.
Do you imagine that your one-sided demonization of certain others and your political demagoguery over a complex issue that ought not be used for your political gain are making the people you're targeting feel welcome and like they're having fun?

You remind me of someone I used to purge.

Cormac:
Kondratev:
Do you imagine that your one-sided demonization of certain others and your political demagoguery over a complex issue that ought not be used for your political gain are making the people you're targeting feel welcome and like they're having fun?

You remind me of someone I used to purge.
This is not a situation where there was a flame war between two sides. There is no "other side" which has its share of the blame to own up to. This was very much a situation of several people abusing a younger subordinate. These things are a matter of public record at this point.

You have totally mischaracterized the events. I'm not sure what your goal is here.

As I have said in Plemby's thread, if you have specific allegations to make, go ahead. Unless I've missed something, I've seen nothing but vague words and innuendo.

Mark this day, this must be the first time in years I agree on anything with Cormac.

Guy:
As I have said in Plemby's thread, if you have specific allegations to make, go ahead. Unless I've missed something, I've seen nothing but vague words and innuendo.

Mark this day, this must be the first time in years I agree on anything with Cormac.
Guy, you have been away through all of these events. This has all unfolded almost entirely on Discord thus far. I will attempt to compile the publicly released information, including the statements of government members. I will post this in a thread viewable only by citizens. Please respect the fact that just because things weren't presented to you while away, it doesn't mean they don't exist. If you don't want to sift through Discord logs, you can wait for my post before knocking me.

Kondratev:
In light of what's unfolded this week, I think everyone deserves an explanation as to why I'm speaking out about the current situation.

The cabinet minister who was working with Ash's investigation has asked not to be further involved in this. Those of you who visit Discord already know who it is. I know he's very upset by all this, and out of respect for his wishes, I have attempted not to reveal his identity.

Like many of you, the first I learned about any of this was when Ash posted those screenshots in chat. I wasn't terribly excited or surprised about Ash's potential indictment or the reasons behind it. I thought the log dump itself was an extremely foolish thing to do. I could not understand why a previously level-headed guy would do a thing like that, abandoning his post and his investigation in the process.

When I spoke to Ash myself, I began to understand how he felt. I must admit that when he told me how the minister in question was treated and some of the things that were said, I did get a little bit angry. The victim looked up to the people who were attacking him. He is only a kid who wants to have fun in our community, but the adults he trusted used him to get at a political opponent and then made him grovel before them. I just couldn't turn a blind eye to it all.

I know how excited this minister was to be appointed to their position, having been involved in the department for such a long time. Ash's screenshots had an emotional impact on me because you could tell the victim was just afraid of having his position taken away, or having a friend be hurt.

NationStates is a game. Games should be enjoyable and challenging. They shouldn't be mean-spirited and they shouldn't make people angry or sad. If it stops being fun, stop doing it.

Some people have gotten to the point of taking the game too seriously. I think at the end of the day, this community has limits of acceptable behavior, and people need to be held to account when they have gone well beyond the limit. TNP government is not actually the sort of position where you can wield power over others. If people believe they are living in a hostile environment, or being mistreated, they will ultimately leave with the single click of a button.

If this means what I think this means...

Anyway, so I have a reason to be here, good luck,and I support you.

Back