Russian ambassador to Turkey dead

USHC

TNPer
The russian ambassador to Turkey was shot and killed on live television by an islamic extremist during a speech in Ankara.President Vladimir Putin and all of Russia is shocked and outraged by this attrocity.

Alleged Islamic extremist. Turkish officials haven't said either way.

wow. This is interesting. I have a feeling that this will be an excuse for Putin to deploy more troops to Syria and increase their military presence there and perhaps begin stationing troops in Tartus again

St George:
Alleged Islamic extremist. Turkish officials haven't said either way.
He said, "Allahu akbar, do not forget Aleppo, do not forget Syria" or something like that. I think he was less of an Islamic extremist and more of a generic reactionary terrorist, angry about a certain event, i.e. the fighting in Aleppo.

It is unclear if he was radicalised by IS or another group. He was clearly making a political statement when he assassinated the Russian Ambassador, at the very least.

I am saddened by his murder. I am also very sad about what is happening in Aleppo. What I find troubling is that in the aftermath of this assassination the narrative (particularly on social media) has tended to suggest that you cannot grieve the Ambassador and for the people of Syria at the same time.

Back