RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
A burgeoning political crisis has escalated in Naizerre as the country's President, High Chief Mboto Jones, suggested in a televised address that National Militia troops could be sent into the troubled city of Togbata if the Mayor and Police continued to refuse to violently disperse a protest over a proposed new law that would eliminate double jeopardy protections.

The law, proposed by the National Law and Order Party, a member of Jones' ruling coalition, would remove a clause from the constitution that prevents repeated prosecutions for the same offence following an acquittal (or less likely a conviction). Sources close to the President have suggested he isn't supportive of the effort, although in the same address he also said that "not guilty does not mean innocent". Vice President and former soccer player Jardim has publicly come out against the law, and his People's Alliance Party is a larger and more important member of the coalition than Peter Barrow's NLOP.

The protest in Togbata has paralysed the city, which is Naizerre's largest port and is the entry point for more than half of Naizerre's imports, and a third of exports. Originally numbering just a few hundred, in the last week the daily marches have swelled to the tens of thousands as port workers - angry at government attempts to suppress their powerful union - have joined.

Mboto Jones ordered the city's mayor, Togbata Alliance Party leader Francois Jarolim, to break up the protest two days ago but he refused, instead entering into talks with the protest leaders to ensure the marches remained peaceful. The results of the talks was that the port continued to operate, but at limited capacity and construction of the Diplomats Quarter continued. The massive complex will be where the embassies of foreign nations are to be located, although some have criticised it for not being in the capital. In return for these concessions, police will only shadow the marches and won't seek to break them up, Togbata's police chief said.

The protest comes at a time when the Mboto Jones regime is increasingly mired in scandal and controversy. Last week Foreign Minister Tsubo Tsango and his entire ministry resigned in protest at Mboto Jones blocking a formal protest against the invasion of Jacksonville by Ninhudenland. Jacksonville is the final stages of a damaging civil war and Tsango felt that the Ninhudenland invasion was serious enough to warrant a formal protest. Another government figure, Securities Minister Uraba Roland, was forced to resign after it became known that he was contracting out debts to his own private company. It has since come to light that Roland was involved in suppressing domestic abuse allegations against an unnamed deputy, after leaked footage appeared to show him organising a pay off for the deputy's wife.
Outside City Council Hall, Togbata

The largest protest march every seen in a Naizerri city had ambled its way down from the port to the city centre, stopping at the Council Hall in the early afternoon. Tens of thousands had joined the march on the way, with even police officers joining the march. National Militia troops had entered the city that night, but had stopped in the Diplomats Quarter when ordered to do so by the police, who had armed themselves for the first time since the Bush War ended. The mayor had de-escalated the situation, and the Militia had agreed not to advance further. Still, it had made Francois Jarolim concerned enough to call out his own supporters to join the protest, and he marched at its head.

"75,000 people. 75,000 of you, my nyîtâ, to tell Mboto Jones and Peter Barrow that we do not accept them and their goro. 75,000 of you, my nyîtâ, to tell Mboto Jones that we do not accept your incompetence. 75,000 of you, my nyîtâ, to tell Peter Barrow that we do not accept your fascism, your evil. Mboto Jones once spoke of the air gangsterism of eastern Marä, of their oppression and their imperialism. Today I tell you, Mboto Jones, you have become what you condemned!"

The crowd roared their approval of Francois Jarolim's words. This was a blistering attack on the High Chief, and one of the first public condemnations of him in a decade of power.

"Mboto Jones, you were once nyîtâ to these people. You said you had entered into a mbûki with them. You said you would bring mbëlä and wärängö-nginza to the Marä. You gave Togbata a sêyângâ. You said Togbata would remain free. You said the Marä would remain free. Today I say you have committed tïkïsängö against the Marä, you nyîwanda! Nyîwanda I name you! Nyîwanda tïkïsängö! I challenge you and I challenge your goro!"

The crowd pressed closer to the platform Francois Jarolim was on, cheering him and his speech. No one had considered this was even possible and many on social media were proclaiming the end of Mboto Jones and the rise of the Togbata Alliance as a national force.

"Today I say to the Marä of Naizerre that the Togbata Alliance is no more. Today I present to the Marä and the Mokili the new force in the Marä: the Naizerri People's Alliance. We will fight the goro of Mboto Jones and Peter Barrow and we will press for elections as soon as possi-" Francois Jarolim's words were cut off as he was engulfed in an explosion from the front of the crowd. Dozens died instantly and even more in the crush as people fled. Police and other emergency services rushed into try to help people, and the dock workers union quickly deployed them to help move rubble after buildings collapsed.

Far away in the capital, Mboto Jones struggled to suppress a smile as his cabinet watched in shock at the end of one of Naizerre's most famous figures.
nyîtâ - brother
goro - corruption
Marä - nation/national identity
mbûki - blood pact
mbëlä - order
wärängö-nginza - prosperity
sêyângâ - promise
tïkïsängö - betrayal
nyîwanda - bastard
Mokili - the world

"We extend Our condolences to the government of Naizerre and Mboto Jones in particular regarding the tragic loss of life in this explosion," the Sedera of Myroria said this morning during daily press briefings. Fendrina took the podium from her press director to speak specifically about this matter. "Jones has always been a faithful friend of the Myrorian people in their struggle against Eastern imperialism. That his people should be subjected to such terrible acts is criminal, regardless of the intentions of those so angry with his clear-headed rule. We pray that those injured by this blast survive so that they may participate in Naizerre's politics in a productive and peaceful way."

The Imperial Republic of Goyanes expresses their deepest condolences to what has happened to Mboto Jones and Naizerre. We hope that those who have done this heinous crime can be brought to justice.

-The Grand Emperor

It is in the best interests of the Stan Yera to see the continued stability of an ally and strong ruler, even in the trying times that plague their country. Such an explosion stifling so many lives short of their natural end is an unfathomable tragedy, but it should serve strengthen the collective spirits of the Naizerri and bond them together all the more. To honor their lives, it is necessary to reach out and bind in oath your commitment to your people once again, to join them in their lives and listen to their stories once more. As the leader of your troubled nation, this is your right and duty, to maintain your strength and with it fuel the strength of your people.

Sfan K'ter, Grand Generalissimo, Tanzä V'oram, High Captain of the Diplomatic Corps
Department of Executive Affairs, Department of Foreign Affairs

When I heard the news of the terrible explosion in Togbata I was appalled. All those lives, gone in an instant. Those people's families, now grieving and mourning for their losses. The Empire condemns the perpetrators of this explosion and sincerely hopes that whoever these individuals are are brought to justice. I send my deepest condolences on behalf of the Syrixian Empire, her Imperial Household, and her people to the Marä of Naizerre and its own people, especially the families and friends of those lost. I hope that this atrocity may never occur again so that, as the Sedera of Myroria eloquently said earlier today, "those injured by this blast survive so that they may participate in Naizerre's politics in a productive and peaceful way."

-H.I.M. Rajesh III, Emperor of the Syrixian Empire

Dear Mboto Jones and nation of Naizerre,
The Nation of Argonisi would like to give its condolences to the great Kingdom of Naizerre about the explosions. We pray for you and your state and by Edos, justice will be done. You are in our thoughts.

King Stokes

In a brief and very short conference, President Park Junwon has reportedly stated:

The 3rd Republic of Bohseon expresses their deepest condolences to what has happened regarding Naizerre. We hope that those who are involved in the unfortunate event are sorted out and eventually, brought to justice

Back