-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
SillyString:
Apologies for my absence; as I'm sure you can imagine, events this week rather took my attention away from this trial. The sentencing recommendation from my office is as follows:
  • Suspension of voting rights for three months; no loss of office as the defendant does not currently hold any office in TNP;
  • Delayed enforcement of this sentence, due to the defendant not currently being a citizen or having voting rights, such that the suspension of voting rights begins when the defendant next becomes a citizen - or next attains voting privileges, if the franchise is ever extended to non-citizens.

I am unsure if a more extensive defense of my recommendations is required or desired by the court, but I am willing to provide one if asked.

Eluedit: fixed list tag on request

flemingovia:
Your honour, in entering this recommendation to the court we are conscious that my client has entered a guilty plea on the understanding, offered by the prosecution and confirmed by the justices, that the sentence to be imposed by the court involves a loss of potential voting rights for a finite period.

The defence would recommend that the period is kept short, and that enforcement of this suspension is not delayed, as the Attorney General has recommended.

Your honour, New Kenya is an impressionable nation who did a foolish thing. He was foolish to suppose that he could win an election in TNP, and doubly foolish to seek to involve Pierconium in his fantasies.

However, he is keen to remain part of TNP – when he appointed me his counsel it was in the hope that this would be possible – and keen to be a productive member of our society. In short, he is precisely what our regional government is seeking at the moment to encourage. It would be a shame if an overly harsh sentence were to discourage his rehabilitation.

Furthermore, delaying the enforcement indefinitely means that whenever New Kenya applies for citizenship, be it in a few months or fifty years, he will be unable to vote for three months because of something he did as a foolish youngling. In effect, this discourages him from ever being rehabilitated or applying for citizenship ever again. This flies in the face of our regional policy of encouraging participation and involvement.

The defence recommends that an appropriate punishment for the crime would be a token suspension of voting privilege for one month, with no delayed enforcement. This sends out the message that he is guilty, while also emphasising the trivial nature of his offence, which in the opinion of the defence should not have been brought to court in the first place.

(if you want to stop reading here, that is fine. But I would like to outline why the specific offence New Kenya was accused of is trivial).

Your Honour, New Kenya never offered a serious threat to our region. It would be harsh indeed to punish him severely when far more damaging threats to our region have gone uncharged or unpunished. I refer to the likes of Upper Kirby or Galapagos Islands. The Security Council certainly never considered him a serious threat to the region; the tone of the discussions showed that as does the fact that even during the trial most of the SC, including the delegate and Vice-Delegate continued to endorse New Kenya. The Army, the Executive Government and the Security Council never considered him a threat, and we believe the sentence should reflect this.

The defence also contends that the details of the charge that New Kenya has pleaded guilty to should warrant a very low sentence. Conspiracy to commit Gross Misconduct is defined in our legal code as

planning, attempting, or helping to commit … the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.

The "oath" specifically referenced by the prosecution in the indictment is that New Kenya took on joining the NPA in January 2016:

I, _________ request to join The North Pacific Army. I pledge to serve our regions security and military interests, both at home and abroad. I pledge to obey all military rules and laws, as well as the laws of The North Pacific in my service in the military. I pledge to respect the chain of command and my fellow officers at all times. I pledge my loyalty to the North Pacific Region, our people, and our government.

Let us examine this oath in detail, and see what part of the oath my client is guilty of conspiring to break?

I pledge to serve our regions security and military interests, both at home and abroad.

Your honour, to this New Kenya is clearly guilty. He did not serve our regional security or military interests. The guilty plea reflects this.

However, in sentencing I would urge you not only to reflect what New Kenya did, but what he did not do. In his foolishness, he offered what he could not deliver; but in doing that he divulged no regional or military secrets. He did not directly jeopardise the delegacy or our constitution. It is doubtful that he could have done so, even had Pierconium decided to aid him.

I pledge to obey all military rules and laws, as well as the laws of The North Pacific in my service in the military.

No actual evidence was offered that New Kenya broke any military rules of TNP. The only law he was ultimately charged with breaking is that of conspiracy.

. I pledge to respect the chain of command and my fellow officers at all times.

NK did not break the chain of command of the NPA in his actions. He neither followed nor broke a direct order.

. I pledge my loyalty to the North Pacific Region, our people, and our government.

Your honour, here the defence is willing to concede New Kenya’s guilt and the appropriateness of sentencing him. New Kenya’s approach to Pierconium was certainly not loyal to the Constitutional Government.

But if the court is willing to see lack of "loyalty" as the basis for a severity of punishment then there are thousands of instances that might find themselves in court. Because many of us have sounded off about the Constitutional government, and could be considered “disloyal”. I myself was barred access to the NPA for a while because of fears that I was not loyal enough. It did not land me in court … but after this trial, it could do.

Your honour, if we start to interpret "gross misconduct" as a matter of "Loyalty", and if we further interpret "loyalty" as "talking to or about people" then the protections to free speech accorded us by the bill of rights are severely strained.

Your honour, the contention of the defence is that the only part of his NPA oath that New Kenya can be considered to have broken is that he was not loyal to TNP and did not serve our region’s security. The danger to our region was minimal and the "threat" laughable. We would maintain that in order to preserve the Bill of Rights declaration that punishment should be proportionate to the crime, a lenient or token punishment should be handed down.

Eluvatar - Today at 10:44 PM
@Altmoras we have sentencing recommendations to discuss
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9020714/1/
the home of The North Pacific region of the online game Nationstates
@Kialga also
I'd like to get this decided before the election ends, if possible >_>
Altmoras - Today at 10:45 PM
I'm against the delayed enforcement.
Eluvatar - Today at 10:46 PM
Any particular reason?
Altmoras - Today at 10:51 PM
It just seems like overkill to put NK on some kind of perma-cooldown. The fact that it can be applied 5 years from now feels disproportionate to me.
Perhaps if there was some kind of limitation on the delayed enforcement, like, if NK becomes a citizen within the next 6 months or a year the punishment is applied then. But forever is a very long time, especially in a game.
The statute of limitations exists for a reason IRL
Eluvatar - Today at 10:54 PM
That seems vaguely sensible
2 months within 1 year?
Altmoras - Today at 10:56 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that.(edited)
Eluvatar - Today at 10:57 PM
If tSRoNK becomes a citizen within the next 1 year a punishment of 2 months is applied
Altmoras - Today at 10:57 PM
That seems fair.
Eluvatar - Today at 10:57 PM
or rather, perhaps, a punishment of 2 months or until 1 year since this date is applied when they become a citizen, whichever is earlier
i.e. if they join in 11 months they get a 1 month restriction
Altmoras - Today at 10:58 PM
Even better. Although I think that's as complex as it should be.
Eluvatar - Today at 10:58 PM
(to avoid having a day when if they join that day, they get 2 months, if they join the next day, they get nothing)
Altmoras - Today at 10:58 PM
Yeah.
Eluvatar - Today at 10:58 PM
Perhaps I'd spell it out.
If they join in the next 10 months, they get a 2 month restriction. Otherwise, if they join within the next year, they get until this day next year. Otherwise, no penalty.
OK I'll write up a draft in this topic http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9020714/ asap
Eluvatar - Today at 11:00 PM
and hopefully @Kialga will review it as well

Draft

court_seal.png

Sentencing Order of the Court of the North Pacific
In the case of The North Pacific v. The Swedish Republic of New Kenya

The Court took into consideration the relevant clauses 7 and 8 of the North Pacific Sentencing Code (Legal Code, Chapter 2):

7. Conspiracy will be punished by a sentence strictly less than what would be appropriate for the original crime.
8. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and the suspension of voting rights for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.

The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the prosecution:

SillyString:
Apologies for my absence; as I'm sure you can imagine, events this week rather took my attention away from this trial. The sentencing recommendation from my office is as follows:
  • Suspension of voting rights for three months; no loss of office as the defendant does not currently hold any office in TNP;
  • Delayed enforcement of this sentence, due to the defendant not currently being a citizen or having voting rights, such that the suspension of voting rights begins when the defendant next becomes a citizen - or next attains voting privileges, if the franchise is ever extended to non-citizens.

I am unsure if a more extensive defense of my recommendations is required or desired by the court, but I am willing to provide one if asked.

The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the defense:

flemingovia:
Your honour, in entering this recommendation to the court we are conscious that my client has entered a guilty plea on the understanding, offered by the prosecution and confirmed by the justices, that the sentence to be imposed by the court involves a loss of potential voting rights for a finite period.

The defence would recommend that the period is kept short, and that enforcement of this suspension is not delayed, as the Attorney General has recommended.

Your honour, New Kenya is an impressionable nation who did a foolish thing. He was foolish to suppose that he could win an election in TNP, and doubly foolish to seek to involve Pierconium in his fantasies.

However, he is keen to remain part of TNP – when he appointed me his counsel it was in the hope that this would be possible – and keen to be a productive member of our society. In short, he is precisely what our regional government is seeking at the moment to encourage. It would be a shame if an overly harsh sentence were to discourage his rehabilitation.

Furthermore, delaying the enforcement indefinitely means that whenever New Kenya applies for citizenship, be it in a few months or fifty years, he will be unable to vote for three months because of something he did as a foolish youngling. In effect, this discourages him from ever being rehabilitated or applying for citizenship ever again. This flies in the face of our regional policy of encouraging participation and involvement.

The defence recommends that an appropriate punishment for the crime would be a token suspension of voting privilege for one month, with no delayed enforcement. This sends out the message that he is guilty, while also emphasising the trivial nature of his offence, which in the opinion of the defence should not have been brought to court in the first place.

(if you want to stop reading here, that is fine. But I would like to outline why the specific offence New Kenya was accused of is trivial).

Your Honour, New Kenya never offered a serious threat to our region. It would be harsh indeed to punish him severely when far more damaging threats to our region have gone uncharged or unpunished. I refer to the likes of Upper Kirby or Galapagos Islands. The Security Council certainly never considered him a serious threat to the region; the tone of the discussions showed that as does the fact that even during the trial most of the SC, including the delegate and Vice-Delegate continued to endorse New Kenya. The Army, the Executive Government and the Security Council never considered him a threat, and we believe the sentence should reflect this.

The defence also contends that the details of the charge that New Kenya has pleaded guilty to should warrant a very low sentence. Conspiracy to commit Gross Misconduct is defined in our legal code as

planning, attempting, or helping to commit … the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.

The "oath" specifically referenced by the prosecution in the indictment is that New Kenya took on joining the NPA in January 2016:

I, _________ request to join The North Pacific Army. I pledge to serve our regions security and military interests, both at home and abroad. I pledge to obey all military rules and laws, as well as the laws of The North Pacific in my service in the military. I pledge to respect the chain of command and my fellow officers at all times. I pledge my loyalty to the North Pacific Region, our people, and our government.

Let us examine this oath in detail, and see what part of the oath my client is guilty of conspiring to break?

I pledge to serve our regions security and military interests, both at home and abroad.

Your honour, to this New Kenya is clearly guilty. He did not serve our regional security or military interests. The guilty plea reflects this.

However, in sentencing I would urge you not only to reflect what New Kenya did, but what he did not do. In his foolishness, he offered what he could not deliver; but in doing that he divulged no regional or military secrets. He did not directly jeopardise the delegacy or our constitution. It is doubtful that he could have done so, even had Pierconium decided to aid him.

I pledge to obey all military rules and laws, as well as the laws of The North Pacific in my service in the military.

No actual evidence was offered that New Kenya broke any military rules of TNP. The only law he was ultimately charged with breaking is that of conspiracy.

NK did not break the chain of command of the NPA in his actions. He neither followed nor broke a direct order.

. I pledge my loyalty to the North Pacific Region, our people, and our government.

Your honour, here the defence is willing to concede New Kenya’s guilt and the appropriateness of sentencing him. New Kenya’s approach to Pierconium was certainly not loyal to the Constitutional Government.

But if the court is willing to see lack of "loyalty" as the basis for a severity of punishment then there are thousands of instances that might find themselves in court. Because many of us have sounded off about the Constitutional government, and could be considered “disloyal”. I myself was barred access to the NPA for a while because of fears that I was not loyal enough. It did not land me in court … but after this trial, it could do.

Your honour, if we start to interpret "gross misconduct" as a matter of "Loyalty", and if we further interpret "loyalty" as "talking to or about people" then the protections to free speech accorded us by the bill of rights are severely strained.

Your honour, the contention of the defence is that the only part of his NPA oath that New Kenya can be considered to have broken is that he was not loyal to TNP and did not serve our region’s security. The danger to our region was minimal and the "threat" laughable. We would maintain that in order to preserve the Bill of Rights declaration that punishment should be proportionate to the crime, a lenient or token punishment should be handed down.

The Court finds as follows:

Under The North Pacific Legal Code Chapter 2, Clauses 7 and 8, The Court sees fit that The Swedish Republic of New Kenya will be punished with suspension of voting rights in a limited period as further defined:

If they apply for citizenship in the next 10 months, they will have their voting rights suspended for 2 months. Otherwise, if they join within the next year, they will have their voting rights suspended until this day next year. Otherwise, they will face no suspension of voting rights.

The Speaker of the RA will be informed of this verdict and instructed to make appropriate requests of forum administration and The North Pacific Election Commission.

This decision will stand unless overturned by an appeal. The Court hereby closes the case of The North Pacific v. The Swedish Republic of New Kenya.

Draft notice to Speaker:

court_seal.png

The Court took into consideration the Relevant WHATEVER of the North Pacific:

Pursuant to this sentence:

court_seal.png

The Court took into consideration the relevant clauses 7 and 8 of the North Pacific Sentencing Code (Legal Code, Chapter 2):

7. Conspiracy will be punished by a sentence strictly less than what would be appropriate for the original crime.
8. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and the suspension of voting rights for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.

The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the prosecution:

SillyString:

The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the defense:

flemingovia:

The Court finds as follows:

Under The North Pacific Legal Code Chapter 2, Clauses 7 and 8, The Court sees fit that The Swedish Republic of New Kenya will be punished with suspension of voting rights in a limited period as further defined:

If they apply for citizenship in the next 10 months, they will have their voting rights suspended for 2 months. Otherwise, if they join within the next year, they will have their voting rights suspended until this day next year. Otherwise, they will face no suspension of voting rights.

The Speaker of the RA will be informed of this verdict and instructed to make appropriate requests of forum administration and The North Pacific Election Commission.

This decision will stand unless overturned by an appeal. The Court hereby closes the case of The North Pacific v. The Swedish Republic of New Kenya.

The Court instructs the Speaker of the Regional Assembly:
1. To request of forum administration, if and when The Swedish Republic of New Kenya gain citizenship and have their voting rights suspended pursuant to this sentence, not to permit The Swedish Republic of New Kenya voting access during the period of suspension, referring to this sentence.
2. Regardless of action by forum administration, not to count any vote cast by The Swedish Republic of New Kenya in the Regional Assembly during any such period.
3. To instruct any Election Commission supervising any election during any such period not to count any vote cast by The Swedish Republic of New Kenya, referring to this sentence.

A personal nitpick on my part, but should the first part of the Court's findings be read as:

Under The North Pacific Legal Code Chapter 2, Clauses 7 and 8, The Court sees fit that The Swedish Republic of New Kenya is guilty of Conspiracy and Gross Misconduct. The Swedish Republic of New Kenya shall be punished with suspension of voting rights in a limited period as further defined:

Unless I'm misunderstanding or not finding something where this has already been outlined. I might be that blind.

How about:

Under The North Pacific Legal Code Chapter 2, Clauses 7 and 8, The Court sees fit that The Swedish Republic of New Kenya will be punished for Conspiracy to commit Gross Misconduct with suspension of voting rights in a limited period as further defined:

Mostly relevant Discord logs

Eluvatar - 11/01/2016
hey
Altmoras - 11/01/2016
Hi
Eluvatar - 11/01/2016
The Attorney General and the Defendant have come to a possible plea agreement
As we collectively decide sentencing, and AG recommendations are by no means binding, the defense wants to hear from us.
The deal would look like this:
[tSRoNK] pleads guilty to Conspiracy to Commit Grosse Misconduct, which carries as its possible sentence a loss of voting rights for a finite duration, and [AG] drop all other charges.
(as he is not currently a citizen, that sentence would have little effect on him, and would only apply if he chose to become a citizen before the end of whatever duration)
(and as he holds no office in TNP, the "loss of office" provision would not apply at all)
The defense would agree to this deal with "confirmation" that the sentence would be "in that ballpark"
The relevant statutes re: sentencing:
-> afk
Eluvatar - 11/01/2016
-> back
@Kialga ?
November 2, 2016
Altmoras - 11/02/2016
Seems reasonable to me.
November 11, 2016
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:44 PM
@Altmoras we have sentencing recommendations to discuss
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9020714/1/
@Kialga also
I'd like to get this decided before the election ends, if possible >_>
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:45 PM
I'm against the delayed enforcement.
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:46 PM
Any particular reason?
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:51 PM
It just seems like overkill to put NK on some kind of perma-cooldown. The fact that it can be applied 5 years from now feels disproportionate to me.
Perhaps if there was some kind of limitation on the delayed enforcement, like, if NK becomes a citizen within the next 6 months or a year the punishment is applied then. But forever is a very long time, especially in a game.
The statute of limitations exists for a reason IRL
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:54 PM
That seems vaguely sensible
2 months within 1 year?
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:56 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by that.(edited)
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:57 PM
If tSRoNK becomes a citizen within the next 1 year a punishment of 2 months is applied
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:57 PM
That seems fair.
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:57 PM
or rather, perhaps, a punishment of 2 months or until 1 year since this date is applied when they become a citizen, whichever is earlier
i.e. if they join in 11 months they get a 1 month restriction
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:58 PM
Even better. Although I think that's as complex as it should be.
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:58 PM
(to avoid having a day when if they join that day, they get 2 months, if they join the next day, they get nothing)
Altmoras - Last Friday at 10:58 PM
Yeah.
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 10:58 PM
Perhaps I'd spell it out.
If they join in the next 10 months, they get a 2 month restriction. Otherwise, if they join within the next year, they get until this day next year. Otherwise, no penalty.
OK I'll write up a draft in this topic http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9020714/ asap
Eluvatar - Last Friday at 11:00 PM
and hopefully @Kialga will review it as well
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=10018088&t=9020714
Oh I should draft the notice to the Speaker as well
edited
Please feel free to suggest improvements
November 13, 2016
Eluvatar - Last Sunday at 9:09 PM
@Altmoras I posted a possible revision of the wording.

Back